• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

MormaPope

Banned
To clarify may critical assertions (which I agree with), the biggest problem with Destiny is the level and mission design is way too loose. Halo 1-3 are all about extremely polished and well designed areas all tied together into one mission. Moments that are awesome happen, unexpected things can happen, moments where you feel triumphant or a bad ass are plentiful.

It looks like the core satisfaction of surviving and prevailing in battles is replaced with lite RPG aspects and finding loot. The combat shown has always taken place in areas too big and empty, or cramped areas that somehow feel sparse when it comes to objects and cover. 80% of what makes Halo great are the confrontations with enemy AI, where they happen, how they happen.

Some people love a looser game when it comes to FPSs. It seems the people being critical, value mechanics and elements that are polished to a sheen. Take Halo 3 for instance, there aren't RPG elements, and weapon variety isn't that varied, but design and weapon usage itself defines Halo 3.

Destiny seems to be a co-op/single player shooter where you can coast and relax, enjoying the visuals, shooting the baddies, finding new stuff. For a lot of people that isn't what they want or expected from Bungie.

TheOddOne

The playspaces and UI feedback instantly jump out as what you expect from Bungie, refined and beautiful. The enemy encounters however feel flat so far, but I chalk this up to being Alpha and it being more impressive when they roll out their online strategy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So he's got the genre wrong.. but that's not what his post was about.

He's right you know, people are acting like this is the final build.
Not disagreeing on that, just Bungie / Acti needs to work on their fucking marketing and what they want to call it.
Some people act like it's going to be the second coming of Jesus since there are so few fantastic actually next-gen titles out right now.

It's going to be a play it safe shooter, period.

Jburton

Banned
Sound design is top notch, graphics look nice for an alpha (and from a low res video).

Shooting model looks great.

Unable to get a clear sense of the mission structure due to low population.

Brohan

To clarify may critical assertions (which I agree with), the biggest problem with Destiny is the level and mission design is way too loose. Halo 1-3 are all about extremely polished and well designed areas all tied together into one mission. Moments that are awesome happen, unexpected things can happen, moments where you feel triumphant or a bad ass are plentiful.

It looks like the core satisfaction of surviving and prevailing in battles is replaced with lite RPG aspects and finding loot. The combat shown has always taken place in areas too big and empty, or cramped areas that somehow feel sparse when it comes to objects and cover. 80% of what makes Halo great are the confrontations with enemy AI, where they happen, how they happen.

Some people love a looser game when it comes to FPSs. It seems the people being critical, value mechanics and elements that are polished to a sheen. Take Halo 3 for instance, there aren't RPG elements, and weapon variety isn't that varied, but design and weapon usage itself defines Halo 3.

Destiny seems to be a co-op/single player shooter where you can coast and relax, enjoying the visuals, shooting the baddies, finding new stuff. For a lot of people that isn't what they want or expected from Bungie.

You are talking about polish yet you are discussing Alpha footage, people should just wait a little longer before they judge this game in my opinion.

Lasty95

There's clearly been a very mixed response to this game so far, as much as I don't understand it.

They really need to knock it out the park at E3. Problem is, Bungie's games don't lend themselves to demos like COD's Michael Bay-esq cinematics do. It's more about how it plays and feels and that's difficult to put across in a 7 minute presentation.

The strike gamely from a few weeks ago clearly didn't hit the right spot and they'll presumably be concluding it with a highlight reel most likely.

As much as I'd like to go in completely spoiler-free, I think they need to show some campaign footage, vehicle combat (although I'm not convinced there is vehicle combat in the Halo sense), some set-peices etc to get the hype going. Hopefully some positive MP feedback from the floor too.

I'm fully expecting stellar reviews for this, but so far its clearly not inspiring the masses.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
If all Destiny turns out being is Borderlands with competent gunplay, then that's more than enough for me.

Raide

According to their overall plans, they do have those closer knit and more focused areas for players. The end-game stuff seems to be that plan but I am sure there will be plenty of other content that is not just big open world.

All we need is some Wipeout style Sparrow racing and we will be set.

Looks like a bit of a snoozefest
Peter Dinklage sounded really bored for the most part, like he couldn't be arsed
The gunplay looks like a bad mix of Halo and Call of Duty and the firing sound was awful
Areas look barren
Enemies respawn crazy quick
Is it Zoned? I thought it was open world.

I'm more than willing to believe stuff will change before launch but what I seen here didn't exactly wow me.

Pakoe

iY7ccEhNryAfh.gif

ipnjWNp7jua94.gif

iOpgOtL5U9EWS.gif

ibzAMXMlSCFgsh.gif

iBhlrYG9W7JWY.gif

ix6TRgqj8EJS9.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Way to miss the point of my post.

It is Alpha footage hence it is unpolished.

Polish doesn't mean new gameplay mechanics are added in, nor do I think the game is radically going to change that much. Sorry, I'm not one of those people that doesn't criticize a game until its in my console. Never said it looked unpolished, didn't even say anything that warranted a "wait until the beta or actual release" response.

Are you going to discuss what I said in my post or what? "Its Alpha footage" isn't a discussion.

thus talking about polish in a comparison between Halo and Destiny is just silly at this moment.

Didn't even compare polish between both games, I made a statement about Halo.

H4r4kiri

For me everything stands and falls with the PVP. I just want to see how it turns out and if the Maps are wellcrafted like Halo.

Brohan

Polish doesn't mean new gameplay mechanics are added in, nor do I think the game is radically going to change that much. Sorry, I'm not one of those people that doesn't criticize a game until its in my console. Never said it looked unpolished, didn't even say anything that warranted a "wait until the beta or actual release" response.

Are you going to discuss what I said in my post or what? "Its Alpha footage" isn't a discussion.

I don't think we are on the same line here..

''Polish doesn't mean new gameplay mechanics are added in'' : In this case it very well could, we are not looking at a finished product here, we are looking at a product in Alpha stage. A lot can change between alpha stage and the finished product, hell a shit ton can be changed or added/removed between alpha and final stage.

"Never said it looked unpolished": It IS unpolished, it's in alpha stage.

"didn't even say anything that warranted a "wait until the beta or actual release" response. " : You did, you are comparing a finished game to a game that is in Alpha stage.

"Its Alpha footage" isn't a discussion." Exactly, and i am argueing that we can't really discuss that much because we don't know how different the final product will be.

All we can discuss for sure at this moment are the looks of the areas, enemies and weapons etc. And sounds/music ofcourse.

Also "Didn't even compare polish between both games, I made a statement about Halo." You were discussing the differences between a polished and unpolished game, unintentionally or not is besides the point.

I don't think we are on the same line here..

''Polish doesn't mean new gameplay mechanics are added in'' : In this case it very well could, we are not looking at a finished product here, we are looking at a product in Alpha stage. A lot can change between alpha stage and the finished product, heel a shit ton can change between alpha and beta stage.

Just a fellow dev giving my 2c, but alpha is when stuff like mechanics and the entire game is playable. Yes it's unpolished, but it's all pretty much in place. Alpha --> Beta is a time for bug fixing and consistency, and Beta --> Release is a time for tweaking and that final coat of polish.

MormaPope

Banned
"Its Alpha footage" isn't a discussion." Exactly, and i am argueing that we can't really discuss that much because we don't know how different the final product will be.

Then don't argue with me, ignore me.

The "We don't know how'll it be at launch!!!" culture is so drab and boring. I make critical assertions that end up being wrong? Awesome! I'll admit I'm wrong and then go out and buy the game. I feel confident with what I'm interpreting, therefore I post about it. Other posters feel the same. Its what makes these threads interesting.

You know what isn't interesting? If a thread is all hype or completely lacking when it comes to people being critical.

Just a fellow dev giving my 2c, but alpha is when stuff like mechanics and the entire game is playable. Yes it's unpolished, but it's all pretty much in place. Alpha --> Beta is a time for bug fixing and consistency, and Beta --> Release is a time for tweaking and that final coat of polish.

Non developer here, but this is how I've always seen it.

Ooccoo

Not impressed. Feels like a boring Borderlands with the same problems (poor A.I. being one of them).

Derp

In my opinion it looks really... Meh. Seriously feels like Borderlands as well (sorry for being the millionth person to say this...). Luckily i resisted falling for Bungie's hyping methods.

But i'm sure it'll sell well as everyone with a next gen console will probably end up buying it anyway.

I'm curious as to how it would've looked if they dumped previous gen and released it on PC.

Brohan

Then don't argue with me, ignore me.

The "We don't know how'll it be at launch!!!" culture is so drab and boring. I make critical assertions that end up being wrong? Awesome! I'll admit I'm wrong and then go out and buy the game. I feel confident with what I'm interpreting, therefore I post about it. Other posters feel the same. Its what makes these threads interesting.

You know what isn't interesting? If a thread is all hype or completely lacking when it comes to people being critical.

"Then don't argue with me, ignore me. " Not really a nice way to just skip past all of my arguements, it's not like we can't discuss anything, seems like a cop out.

Not Saying that we can't be critical or that we can't talk about stuff we are hoping to see changed but there are plenty acting like this is the final product and you started a comparison between this and and halo, one of which is a final product and one which is not.

All i am saying is that we can't start making such definitive comparisons or criticisms because we don't know how the final product is going to be.

Brohan

I followed FFXIV Alpa to beta to release, and a shit ton changed.

Guess it depends on the type of game or the developers maybe.

You're right, they spent more. Good fucking god. The scale better be something else entirely.

I was trying to be generous. Also good chunk of that 500 million is going towards marketing.

Why do people keep saying this. They did NOT spend $500 million already. They didn't spend it for the one game at launch with marketing. Much of that figure has yet to be 'spent'. The $500 million is the budget for the long-play, the Destiny franchise.

I followed FFXIV Alpa to beta to release, and a shit ton changed.

Guess it depends on the type of game or the developers maybe.

If a "shit ton" changed then I guarantee it was a pre-alpha dressed up as an alpha. Alpha/beta/etc. are pretty much uniform across software development.

Brohan

Agree to disagree then, that's all that can be said.

That's fine, we don't have to agree on anything.

Just thought i could make you see my point, or at least the reasoning behind it.

Also i wouldn't ignore you just because we are having a difference in opinion and are having a discussion about that, if everyone would do that it would be pretty barren here i think haha, but if that's your cup of tea that's fine too ofcourse, no hard feelings.

SephiZack

Not like you have to do the competitive stuff ;)

The PvP side unlocks after several hours of play and you don't have to touch it. According to their plans, they have plenty of solo and co-op, so no need to even touch PvP.

Being a kind of trophy hunter (I like to 100% things), yes I will have to do that because they will put some stupid competitive trophies.

I would have liked if it was just a straight Borderlands clone with Bungie's touch and I will buy it day-one anyway to play a co-op game with my cousin, but this turns my hype down.

Brohan

If a "shit ton" changed then I guarantee it was a pre-alpha dressed up as an alpha. Alpha/beta/etc. are pretty much uniform across software development.

If you say so, i'll believe you.

I do think we will see quite the improvements though, i have some faith in Bungie.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I want to like this game so badly. All I saw was clearing out some area. Same old game type. Nothing new, what is going on with this game. Are we going to see something similar during Sony's E3? this is fucking disappointing.

They better show some campaign gameplay. Please bungie.

Trickster

If at least some form of close-to-final AI isn't in place at this point, I'd question why they're calling this an "alpha".

People are judging the footage as if it was official footage from Bungie.

In the Halo games, grunts weren't exactly formidable and smart enemies either. And from what I can tell, pretty much the only type of enemies being fought in this footage are grunt level.

So like I said earlier, if the footage we see from Bungie during E3 also have things like bad AI, then it will be fair to start criticizing those things. But at least wait until we're presented with footage that the developers themselves feel confident showing.

Looks awesome. Although, for a leak it's disappointing, since this gameplay is the main only thing that has been well established and seen before. We know the core gameplay will be halolands. I'm excited to see what will set it apart. PVP, social zones, large scale zone encounters with many players. I already know I'm going to like this bit, but I'm dying to see everything else and how/if they successfully all sting together. THat's what'll make the game special. For Destiny to succeed at something really special, it has to be more than the sum of it's parts. Each individual element they've mentioned has existed elsewhere and even if they are individually good, it's all together in a big seamless interactive (with other players) experience that's the huge draw, I really hope they pull it off.

QaaQer

Being a kind of trophy hunter (I like to 100% things), yes I will have to do that because they will put some stupid competitive trophies.

I would have liked if it was just a straight Borderlands clone with Bungie's touch and I will buy it day-one anyway to play a co-op game with my cousin, but this turns my hype down.

There really is a huge difference in tone between a game with competitive multi and pure coop. I'm thinking though, they need a huge audience which means all kinds of modes and putting it on every console they possibly can. I'm surprised it's not on the original wii. It isn't is it?

A pure co-op on new-gen only hardware would have been fantastic, but oh-well.

I'll still give this one a go. I didn't think I was going to like borderlands, and I ended up putting 200 hours into that.

People are judging the footage as if it was official footage from Bungie.

So like I said earlier, if the footage we see from Bungie during E3 also have things like bad AI, then it will be fair to start criticizing those things. But at least wait until we're presented with footage that the developers themselves feel confident showing.

I don't think that's true at all - they're judging it as footage being played in real time from a game, it could be any game.

If all we could criticize was footage the devs were comfortable with, you'd never see what the game looks like in the hands of a normal player in an environment that isn't absolutely hand-crafted for that one showing.

Top Bottom