• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

I live in Cleburne which is about 30 miles south of Fort Worth.

I have a food suggestion. For anyone that lives in the area that loves wings and a deal, go to Cocky's in Burleson. It's about 10-15 minutes south of Fort Worth.

Every Saturday night from 5-9 they have unlimited wings and fries for only $12.99. Great wings, too.

If you're a UFC fan, it's even better as there is no cover charge, plus, if you want to eat and watch fights you have that great deal.

Ah ok, I ask cos I will host a Fort Worth meet up if anyone is interested. Gaffers pick up the meat and drinks, we make it at he place. It's fancy as hell (if you look at the neogaf notebook I posted a pic) we could hangout and make our own steaks if anyone is interested.

Definitely interested. I'm on board.

I live in Cleburne which is about 30 miles south of Fort Worth.

I have a food suggestion. For anyone that lives in the area that loves wings and a deal, go to Cocky's in Burleson. It's about 10-15 minutes south of Fort Worth.

Every Saturday night from 5-9 they have unlimited wings and fries for only $12.99. Great wings, too.

If you're a UFC fan, it's even better as there is no cover charge, plus, if you want to eat and watch fights you have that great deal.

Thanks for the recommendation. I love wings. Might pop down sometime next weekend.

Adam Blue

I live in Bedford, grew up in GCISD. I can't wait for this road construction to be done...it's going to be great (some places already are)! While there aren't many unique shops or restaurants where I'm at, it's a nice area and easy to get to any point in DFW.

I know Ft. Worth a little better since I used to do private security there, but Sundance Square has been making some drastic changes. Vee Lounge is a new good spot to hang out in, though, in general, night life in Dallas and Fort Worth isn't as exciting as it used to be (is that everywhere? Economy?).

In Dallas, I love going to Cafe Izmir. Best hummus ever. Even Club Kismet next door can be fun on some nights. Deep Ellum has some neat places - Angry Dog has good stuff.

alejob

I'm starting to think about moving somewhere else. If I am moving I'm going south, Utah is too cold. I love fishing, is there good bass fishing around DFW? I don't really like big cities, maybe I can find a job in the outskirts? I'm also thinking Florida.

lol fuck fort worth
qVRg2.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
Whats the best theater in the Dallas area? We are going to see Spiderman 2 at the AMC 30 in the Grapevine Mills Mall with the dinner theater. Curious if there were any real imax screens around.

Whats the best theater in the Dallas area? We are going to see Spiderman 2 at the AMC 30 in the Grapevine Mills Mall with the dinner theater. Curious if there were any real imax screens around.

There is a real imax screen close to 635 and 35. Forgot the name of the theater though.

kingslunk

Angelika (Plano/Dallas) is my personal favorite only because they play indie films.

Screens are small though.

AMC 30 Cinesuites are pretty nice.

theres a real imax in colleyville which is like 10min away from grapevine.

really cool to see people talking about the metroplex here.. will have to get my resturant recommendations in soon. but seriously Bangkok House is the best thai food in all of dfw.

besada

Banned
Woot! DFW all up in this bitch!

Welcome DFWers. Excellent OP, OP.

I bet you guys didn't know you had two mods within your jurisdiction, did ya?

Also, why does our BBQ suck so much worse than Austin's BBQ? Yeah, yeah, I know we have the Pecan Lodge, but that's like a single good BBQ place, compared to a good BBQ place on every corner in Austin. Our stuff devolves into Dickey's, Riscky's, etc. pretty quick.

Anyone have any great Indian food places they want to recommend? I already eat at Tandoor Grill in Arlington and Pasand's in Irving. Whatchoo got for me?

Pagusas

Elden Member
theres a real imax in colleyville which is like 10min away from grapevine.

really cool to see people talking about the metroplex here.. will have to get my resturant recommendations in soon. but seriously Bangkok House is the best thai food in all of dfw.

Just looked it up, apparently the whole theater was shuttered.

OP should add Texas Frightmare Weekend and Alamo Drafthouse.

In town for the Goblin show last night. Had Eno's pizza this weekend. Quite good.

Went to Zenna's last night. Pretty good for late night Japanese/Thai.

Was thinking about eating there today. Either that or Spiral.

Spiral's pretty good.

There's a pie place down the street from Eno's called Emporium Pies. It's $5/slice and it's AMAZING.

Tex117

Banned
Hello fellow Gaf-Dallasites. Great OT. Live off Knox/Henderson.

Restaurant Recommendations:

Burgers:
Twisted Root
Stackhouse
Goodfriends
HG Svpply Company
Maple and Motor
Kinkades (FTW)
Tommy's (FTW)

BBQ:
Coopers (FTW...in Stockyards)
Hard 8

TexMex:
Pepe & Mitos (Deep Ellum)
E-bar
Matts El Rancho

Steakhouse:
Al Biernets
Nick & Sams

Sandwiches:
Uncle Ubers
Jimmys Italian Food Store

Tacos
Fuel City (al pastor)
Tacos y Mas (breakfast tacos)
Velvet Taco (fancier tacos)
Good 2 Go Taco (even fancier tacos)
Urban Taco (great yuppie tacos)

Outdoor bars:
Katy Trail Icehouse (for Uptown scenery)
Truck Yard (for East Dallas scenery)

Pubs
Idle Rich
Old Monk
Capital Pub

Bar Food:
Cock and Bull (Lakewood)
Capital Pub
Blind Butcher

Sports Bar:
Stans Blue Note
Henderson Tap House

Pizza:
Greenville Pizza Co.
Serious Pizza

Yuppie hilariousness:
Concrete Cowboy

That's to get us started boys!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Loving this threat. So cool to see how many of you live in this area. The wife and I will be looking to make friends in the area, looks like I can start here.

Zebra

I cannot believe how many restaurants I had forgotten about until you folks recommended them. Thank you and keep them coming! I'm still working my way through adding them.

I also added links to event calendars under things to do!

But whats everyone using as alternative roads into North Dallas/Galleria? Belt line is jam packed from what I've seen.

We have just learned to accept our fate. 635 is packed and the surrounding roads are packed with people trying not to get on 635. It's something we just factor into our daily commute times. :lol
I think completion of the current construction is 3 or 5 years away still, but honestly I cannot remember a time that 635 was not under some sort of construction. Its perpetual state of disarray has become an accepted truism.

I'm starting to think about moving somewhere else. If I am moving I'm going south, Utah is too cold. I love fishing, is there good bass fishing around DFW? I don't really like big cities, maybe I can find a job in the outskirts? I'm also thinking Florida.

I'm not a fisherman myself, but I can tell you we have a ton of lakes. Lake Ray Roberts to our north is fantastic, and Lake Fork (about an hour and a half east of Dallas) is considered to be one of the best bass fishing lakes in Texas.

We have a Dallas one but not a Houston one? such blasphemy, anyway, hello neighbors to the north.

I would love love love to see a Houston OT. I really enjoyed the couple of road trips I made down there and would love to find out what I've missed.

Anyone going to comic con this year?

Hopefully I'll be there!
It has been packed beyond belief during its stay at the Irving convention center and I'm so glad it moved to the Dallas convention center. It's kind of insane the kind of influence the MCU films have had on attendance numbers. A-kon was always the biggest 'geek culture' convention in town and it has 22,000+ people. Now Dallas Comic Con's website is saying they expect 60,000, which is crazy.

There is only one real IMAX screen in the entire metroplex:
Cinemark 17 & IMAX at Webb Chapel
Every other is a LIEmax.

We also have an Alamo Drafthouse which is highly recommended, but would probably be a bit too far of a drive given your location.

Pagusas

Elden Member
We have just learned to accept our fate. 635 is packed and the surrounding roads are packed with people trying not to get on 635. It's something we just factor into our daily commute times. :lol
I think completion of the current construction is 3 or 5 years away still, but honestly I cannot remember a time that 635 was not under some sort of construction. Its perpetual state of disarray has become an accepted truism.

There is only one real IMAX screen in the entire metroplex:
Cinemark 17 & IMAX at Webb Chapel
Every other is a LIEmax.

We also have an Alamo Drafthouse which is highly recommended, but would probably be a bit too far of a drive given your location.

Awesome, that Cinemark is only 7 miles from me, perfect.

As for 634, we'll just deal with it. Construction sucks, but at least it tells you they are putting money into the infrastructure.

fmpanda

Awesome, that Cinemark is only 7 miles from me, perfect.

As for 634, we'll just deal with it. Construction sucks, but at least it tells you they are putting money into the infrastructure.

At least they've cut down the construction time. When they first announced the project, they were projecting a minimum of a decade to get it all finished. I still don't think that will solve the roads issues though.

Oh for those looking to go northwards into North Dallas/Addison, your best be would be Inwood. After you pass 635 it turns into Dallas Parkway which runs right next the the Galleria. For those wanting to avoid Beltline you can detour down Arapaho or Spring Valley.

Pagusas

Elden Member
At least they've cut down the construction time. When they first announced the project, they were projecting a minimum of a decade to get it all finished. I still don't think that will solve the roads issues though.

Oh for those looking to go northwards into North Dallas/Addison, your best be would be Inwood. After you pass 635 it turns into Dallas Parkway which runs right next the the Galleria. For those wanting to avoid Beltline you can detour down Arapaho or Spring Valley.

With 6 million people in the metro area, and that being the most traveled area, how can they solve the road issue honestly? I'm curious if this "dynamic toll" system will actually work to keep those lanes consistent time wise. Thinking of that reminds me I need to get working on getting a toll tag.

thebeeks

Banned
Anyone going to comic con this year?

I'll be there. On the one hand, I'm super glad it moved from the Irving convention center. Felt like DCC started outgrowing that space since the first year there. On the other hand, I work in one of the buildings right across the big field from the convention center and never had to worry about paying to park. Ah well.

I used to live in Ft. Worth when I was little, when my father was at Carswell AFB. Had a great time there and I think about it often.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Woot! DFW all up in this bitch!

Welcome DFWers. Excellent OP, OP.

I bet you guys didn't know you had two mods within your jurisdiction, did ya?

Also, why does our BBQ suck so much worse than Austin's BBQ? Yeah, yeah, I know we have the Pecan Lodge, but that's like a single good BBQ place, compared to a good BBQ place on every corner in Austin. Our stuff devolves into Dickey's, Riscky's, etc. pretty quick.

Go here man, I went the Plano location and loved it.
Like Pecan Lodge (which I didn't like nearly as much, and don't get the hype), food can run out, get there early for Lunch or Dinner hours.

http://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com/

fmpanda

With 6 million people in the metro area, and that being the most traveled area, how can they solve the road issue honestly? I'm curious if this "dynamic toll" system will actually work to keep those lanes consistent time wise. Thinking of tall that reminds me I need to get working on getting a toll tag.

They're not going to solve it that way, that's for sure. It was like when they did the expansion of 75, thinking it would help relieve traffic congestion, but not anticipating that DFW would make significant growth which has caused 75 to be just as cramped up as before.

I should pick up a TollTag myself, I usually prefer just taking the side roads and whatnot to get to where I need to go, but for certain situations like possibly going out to Frisco it would be nice.

Tex117

Banned
Wow a dfw OT. Also whoever said burger street rocks. They have some of the best burgers.

We can fix this for you! HAHA

Do you go to J Black's a lot? If so, you've probably seen me there!

Man, I haven't been there in awhile! I literally live one block away from there. I used to go to Tried and True a lot before they closed it. Damn that was a good bar.

Have you checked out Biergarten yet? Its a nice outdoor drinking place without the huge hassle of Truck Yard. (Though Truck Yard is also excellent).

Ekdrm2d1

I would love love love to see a Houston OT. I really enjoyed the couple of road trips I made down there and would love to find out what I've missed.

I'd love a Houston thread too. I tried to make an OT thread once, didn't go so well.

Can you make it, please? Doesn't need to have an extravagant OP.

This is a Turkish restaurant/rug shop in Fort Worth. They were open for a a few months but are looking for a new chef. Pretty good food. If enough gaffers are interested we could have a private dinner party there, just need to get the ok from the owner. Also, when it reopens I'll post it in this thread. Here are some pics of the place.

Front an side room

Backyard and storage room

Dining area

Dining area

Side room where I dj sometimes.

Throne/front room

Edit: also, we have hookahs up there if anybody on here likes to smoke them.

Zoe

Wow a dfw OT. Also whoever said burger street rocks. They have some of the best burgers.

/fistbump

They're probably why I'm fat now :lol Of course the last time I could have them regularly was back in high school when I was swimming 5 days a week :(

Holy crap, I'm so excited we got an OT! Love heading to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. Especially Fort Worth. Lots of really cool history there (plus Billy Bob's). Let me take this chance to say...

Come to Denton!

We are sometimes described as a mini-Austin and it's basically Texas paradise. 20 minutes from Dallas, 30 from Arlington, and 45 from Ft. Worth. Also, if you like the country we're basically on the edge of the metropolitan area so getting away is as simple as driving to the outskirts of town. Lake Ray Roberts, Lake Lewisville, and Grapevine Lake are all within 20~30 minutes if you enjoy the water. We have an incredibly diverse music and art scene with lots of little local venues peppered throughout. The weather gets hot, but not as hot as south Texas, and we always have a light breeze because we're on the plains.

Driving tip: avoid the portion of highway 635 between 35E and 75 like the plague.

I have to take this route frequently and it is maddening. Fortunately, NPR helps ease the pain a little bit.

EDIT: Also, Babe's should be added to the restaurant category. Fantastic homestyle cooking.

fmpanda

EDIT: Also, Babe's should be added to the restaurant category. Fantastic homestyle cooking.

Yup, agreed on Babe's, great food for the $$, plus their Carrollton location is 5-10 mins. away depending on traffic.

Denton's pretty nice too, I went out that way for Mini A-Kon plus Reaper Minis is nearby.

Zebra

With 6 million people in the metro area, and that being the most traveled area, how can they solve the road issue honestly?

I really have no clue. Any given amount of space can only handle so much car flow and that area is always bursting at the seams with cars.

DART should at least try and get an east-west rail line built through there that connects the red and blue lines. That might ease up the traffic there just a little bit and make rail travel a lot more feasible for some people.

I'll be there. On the one hand, I'm super glad it moved from the Irving convention center. Felt like DCC started outgrowing that space since the first year there.

Yeahh, it was chaos. That field outside the Irving building became a sea of overflow parking. But damn what a cool building that was, architecturally speaking.

I'd love a Houston thread too. I tried to make an OT thread once, didn't go so well.

Can you make it, please? Doesn't need to have an extravagant OP.

A Dallasite making the Houston thread? Pandemonium in the streets.

I could totally make graphics similar to the ones I used to make this thread if yall want to keep a similar theme across the Texas OTs, but they would be passed on to a Houston member because I hardly know anything about Houston other than it's humid, has taller buildings, NASA is awesome, and the Astros are awful.

Come to Denton!

We are sometimes described as a mini-Austin and it's basically Texas paradise. 20 minutes from Dallas, 30 from Arlington, and 45 from Ft. Worth. Also, if you like the country we're basically on the edge of the metropolitan area so getting away is as simple as driving to the outskirts of town. Lake Ray Roberts, Lake Lewisville, and Grapevine Lake are all within 20~30 minutes if you enjoy the water. We have an incredibly diverse music and art scene with lots of little local venues peppered throughout. The weather gets hot, but not as hot as south Texas, and we always have a light breeze because we're on the plains.

I'm still considering choices I've made with the OT, and I'm thinking about adding some Denton love. :)

girlfriend here:
I've been going to Dallas for the summers for a while now. My cousin is a chef out there. He was originally the head chef of Bob's Steak and Chop House, now he runs a burger joint called the "Stackhouse" and it's right across the street from Baylor downtown.

If you're willing to take a drive out of the city, there's always the Canton flea market
http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/

Central Market is by far my favorite place. I love going on the weekends when they're giving free samples. Better than Costco's...

Any recommendations on GOOD mexican food? and not crappy TexMex stuff either.

Ekdrm2d1

A Dallasite making the Houston thread? Pandemonium in the streets.

I could totally make graphics similar to the ones I used to make this thread if yall want to keep a similar theme across the Texas OTs, but they would be passed on to a Houston member because I hardly know anything about Houston other than it's humid, has taller buildings, NASA is awesome, and the Astros are awful.

Ha. Right on.

You should do the graphics for H-Town! :p

Top Bottom