• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
I can understand Eva since it's love/hate, but you seriously have problem with G Gundam? G Gundam is awesome! I'm bummed I haven't played a SRW that's included it yet. I'm hoping it'll be in by Z3.
G Gundam is incredibly boring to me.

Honestly I got sick of the Villian of the week setup and Domon busting out Shining/God Finger at the end of each episode.

However, I ended up loving Domon and Master Asia when they are alone.

I found both enjoyable in when they get rid of the rest of the Shuffle Alliance, and Domon stops trying to find his brother. He becomes funny and enjoyable with how he interacts with other characters.

Oh and to me it has easily the worst Gundam Designs out in all of the Gundam Metaverse with the only one being close to it After War.

Also I don't hate Eva, in fact I really enjoyed EVA 1-24 and am totally digging Rebuild. However I don't enjoy the music and I tend to find the attacks and set up for anyone but Shinji to be shit. Asuka and Rei never get that much that I find good when it comes to SRW.

Also dang. They have beeen in like 3 of the last four games. MX/Highschool DS game as well as God Showing up in SRW Neo.

zeroshiki said:
This feels like its gonna be a short thread but yay SRW!

I started playing Super Robot Wars 17 years ago when I was in the 5th grade. That was Super Robot Wars EX (3rd game chronologically). It had really broken mechanics like not being able to choose your retaliatory attack and Hot Blood costing 15 SP or something. Cybuster's MAP attack was also a P attack and ruined enemy platoons.
I don't intend on letting this thread perish. I'll be posting regular updates with my reviews, at least.

SRW EX was definitely the easiest Winkysoft SRW, but they still threw in a few tricky spots here and there. It's a good starting point for anyone looking at older SRW games, since you can get used to how differently they play from modern games.

Bebpo said:
Nice thread. They need to start releasing more srw games soon for it to stay alive though ;)
Ty. They have a lot of games lined up. 2nd OG2 should pick things up considerably. I am still holding out hope that Atlus publishes it in NA.

suko_32 said:
First SRW game for me was MX. The best part was not upgrading, no senshins, no optional parts and I still beat the game. The only reason why I did that was because I didn't know about them. I kept wondering why people kept saying this is one of the easiest SRW's.
No seishins is pretty hardcore. MX is an easy SRW though so you can get away with it. I doubt you'd make it very far in the older SRWs without seishins!

distantmantra said:
Hehe, I've been trying to join for years now.
Going on IRC and getting friendly with people and asking nicely for an account to be set up for you is probably your best bet. I don't know why they have to hide the forums from non-registered viewers.

Most of the modern SRW games have lots of broken units to play around with. I hope future SRWs have more skill points and Ex-Hard modes, as the difficulty has been fairly low lately.

Ledsen said:
So I want to buy the one for DS with all the tits and KOS-MOS. I'm in Europe. Where can I get it?
It's Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier and you'll have to import it from NA (if you want the English version). It's an action game not a turn based tactics game.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
creamfarts said:
The only SRW I finished was 3 on SNES/SFC when it was patched almost a decade ago. Played for well over 15 hours straight at one point, and I was convinced I was going to die like a Korean.

Never followed OG seriously, though. What's a good jumping on point?
OG 1 and then 2 for the GBA, but I guess that if you understand Japanese, the PS2 version would be better.

zeroshiki

The most broken character in SRW that I can remember is Aura Battler Bilvine from EX or 4. Its an S size unit that had insane speed so no one could hit it but on the off chance they do, it also has bunshin and a sword.

Beth Cyra

zeroshiki said:
The most broken character in SRW that I can remember is Aura Battler Bilvine from EX or 4. Its an S size unit that had insane speed so no one could hit it but on the off chance they do, it also has bunshin and a sword.
They almost always have some broken units no matter which game it is.

Aquarion ripped up pretty much everything in Z1.

mjemirzian said:
It's Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier and you'll have to import it from NA (if you want the English version). It's an action game not a turn based tactics game.
It's also realy fun and easy going. A nice rpg to play on the go.

I wish the second one would get localized. Sure I could play it anyways but I would miss out on all the book jokes. And let's be honest, without that what's the point. But being a DS game guarantees that will never happen.

Beth Cyra

Ledsen said:
So OG Saga EF was pretty expensive. $25 on Ebay, cart only! Well, I hope it's good :)
It's fun and light hearted. My only issue was the sound was pretty bad. Didn't even bother with the soundtack after hearing it in game.

I commend you all who can keep up with these games.

I started way back when- around the time the rerelease of 4 came out for the PSX and all the SNES games were selling for a pittance. I remember I got EX boxed for under 500 yen, and I'm pretty sure it was new. It's been quite a few years and I can't remember.

I lost steam with all the handheld and PS2 games, with the last one I really seriously played and actually tried to comprehend the story was MX. My Dragonar got to be Sirbine levels of ridiculousness and was clearing maps on his own for the most part.

These days I just stick to the model kits. Keep 'em coming Kotobukiya!

Still don't own a Thrudgelmir or Granzon unfortunately. The Rein Weisritter kit is a thing of beauty though!

zeroshiki said:
I assume you're talking about Shou (the pilot of Bilbine/Bilvine), who is far from overpowered in 4th (and F/FF). Yes he has a high dodge rate against grunts but his offense has a lot of drawbacks (susceptible to being sword blocked, best attack requires 130 morale and drains significant EN), and he often doesn't fare well against bosses with higher hit/evade rates. EX was such an easy game that it doesn't matter what his stats were.. although I don't remember him being overpowered in that one either. What was overpowered in 4th SRW was using the combination of ressurect, reenable, and awaken seishin to 1 turn most of the later scenarios.. that and upgraded MAP attacks.

And now here are some screenshots of my current 2nd SRW Complete Box playthrough. Not quite finished with it yet.. it's more difficult than I thought it would be.

HxQeO.png

on70D.png

PPmoz.png

jUqJk.png

fR2tY.png

how likely do you guys think Second OG for PS3 will be coming to North America?
donno if I should import the Japanese one or wait for American release.

Zengar

Ladyboy101 said:

Very unlikely. But If it's released in English, I'll double dip.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
My favorite (having not played any pre alpha2 or MX yet) is Z. The cast list is killer (e7, overman, Big O), the originals are great and the story is interesting.

Oh and it had nice animations and music too :p

I like alpha3 (still working on it) but its way too big and bloated. It does have killer original bgms. Z2 is cool but I wasn't a fan of the splitting into two games. Hoping z2-2 will be the better of the two.

OGs is a great franchise, can't wait for the new one. Banpresto comes up with lots of good original plotlines, great bgms, and sometimes good mecha (a lot are kind of C-rank though).

The new LoE (and the ds remake) have a terrible visual style that is not enjoyable at all to look at, but their still with playing for the plot, music, and battle maps.

the problem with Z2 is that there's waay too many units taking the back seats because you can only deploy 13 - 15 units, of coz there's the make up option thing during intermission but that hardly makes up for missed deployments.

Ladyboy101 said:

I really doubt it, but if Atlus or another publisher is going to bother with any SRW, it'll probably be this one. OGs, Masou Kishin for DS, and OGG didn't make it over, sadly.

Finished SRW 2nd Complete Box. Bian is a difficult boss in all of his classic appearences (2nd NES, 2G Gameboy, and 2nd Complete Box). In this version of the final scenario, you have to deal with a ton of grunts in addition to Bian, Shuu, and the two enemy pilots Lacan and Kayla. I used ZZ and some others to fend off the grunts, tanked Lacan and Kayla, and pulled Bian. Getta-Poseidon did most of the damage putting Bian through the washer. He must have been dizzy after all that spinning. Final turncount was 185/26 scenarios.

IfPR2.png

I am trying to play through OGs, but it's rough going and I find my self going back to playing Z2. It's just more enjoyable to play for some reason.

Lucis

OG just doesn't have the feel of SRW, I barely finished OGs and couldn't do OGG, the story isn't that good and there's way too many history you have to know.

Really looking forward to masou kishin though, and I'll buy 2nd OG even though the story will probably confuse the shit out of me.

The real deal will be Z2.2 of course ;)

OG was a nice thing to have but at this point it's pretty much trash. it's basically Banpresto's excuse to put the same 20 units, characters, and spirit lists in every game. the story is convoluted but predictable: Kyosuke gets a new enemy, SRX team's never-ending Ingram shenanigans, a dash of Masou Kishin, and Sanger saves the day in whatever late 20's stage he decides to show up in. but the worst part is how every unit is pretty much the same, give or take a barrier.

it's funny how badly i wanted a 2D HD console SRW, and now i only have eyes for the Z-series. the skill point system needs an overhaul, but the rest of it is great.

zeroshiki

I want a new squad system :( I really don't keep up with the scene. Was that not received favorably? I mean, in ZII we got tons and tons of units but barely could use any of them because we only got to deploy 10-15 a stage. The Alpha series had tons more units and added a new dimension of strategy with the ALL attacks.

What I don't like about OG units is that I don't have any attachment to them and their attacks take waaay too long. I sometimes skip through Kurou's attack animations because they take too long and he says the same thing all the time.

Shouta

Lostconfused said:
I am trying to play through OGs, but it's rough going and I find my self going back to playing Z2. It's just more enjoyable to play for some reason.

OGs has different PP skills and a different upgrade system making it feel a little different. It also doesn't have the licensed series so you have to get to know the characters to really get the most out of it. This is especially true because there's a lot of backstory to it and it's often a little more complicated than most anime series.

Shouta said:
OGs has different PP skills and a different upgrade system making it feel a little different. It also doesn't have the licensed series so you have to get to know the characters to really get the most out of it. This is especially true because there's a lot of backstory to it and it's often a little more complicated than most anime series.
Also I don't know nearly enough kanji/japanese to actually read the info dumps relevant to the plot. Even though I know how it plays out for the most part, which makes it at least some what manageable.

Edit: Maybe I should just give up and play the localized GBA games instead.

hteng

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Masou Kishin II official site updated.
First trailer here. Note: Copy and paste the Famitsu URL into a new tab if you get 403 forbidden.

I've been playing through 3rd SRW Complete Box. It hasn't been too difficult in the first 7 scenarios, about the same as the original. Here's Combattler V's first appearance. Bright is about to use his MAP attack and dig into those grunts.

be6dm.png

wowow the new sprites are actually pretty decent. looking forward to MK2

TimeKillr said:
Youtube link for the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8O44VhEos

It looks awesome. Looks like I'll be importing the 1+2 box. It kills me, though, as I'm sure I won't be able to play them on my Vita when it eventually comes out :(
Thanks for the link. I share your concerns but I hope they'll release a UMD attachment somewhere down the line in the Vita's life. If not you could always pick up a cheap PSP today as a backup.. especially a good idea if you plan on using video out.

The trailer looks good and it seems like it'll be another isometric game, unlike other SRWs. I wonder if they'll make the maps in 3D this time (not likely, but oh well).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I give up playing A Portable. That game is just unfair.

HAH, ATTACKS WON'T HIT AT ALL!!!

Ookami-kun said:
I give up playing A Portable. That game is just unfair.

HAH, ATTACKS WON'T HIT AT ALL!!!
Did using EWAC help at all? You know you get a 30% buff for standing right next to an EWAC unit and a 15% buff standing NW, NE, SW, or SE of an EWAC unit?

I played through the first couple Real Route scenarios and didn't have a problem hitting things. Although unfortunately it seems like you can't stack EWAC buffs.

Bebpo

Banned
Yuck. LoE II still looks nasty in motion. Moving stills sliding around with cut-ins :( So flat and dead looking. Pre-rendered animations suck.

Will still enjoy with battle animations off.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
mjemirzian said:
Did using EWAC help at all? You know you get a 30% buff for standing right next to an EWAC unit and a 15% buff standing NW, NE, SW, or SE of an EWAC unit?

I played through the first couple Real Route scenarios and didn't have a problem hitting things.

EWAC is pretty much NEEDED. At least MX had given you the choice to upgrade accuracy, A3 was dandy enough to be fine with that, and Z lets you upgrade accuracy.

I'm kinda pissed that Zambot 3 here really sucks and Daitarn 3 needs that Ace bonus to be useful. They're fucking kings!

Ookami-kun said:
EWAC is pretty much NEEDED. At least MX had given you the choice to upgrade accuracy, A3 was dandy enough to be fine with that, and Z lets you upgrade accuracy.

I'm kinda pissed that Zambot 3 here really sucks and Daitarn 3 needs that Ace bonus to be useful. They're fucking kings!
Can't you upgrade accuracy in A Portable by upgrading the robots agility/mobility as usual? I've only played it a bit on the subway but I saw the option to upgrade agility was there.

TimeKillr

mjemirzian said:
Thanks for the link. I share your concerns but I hope they'll release a UMD attachment somewhere down the line in the Vita's life. If not you could always pick up a cheap PSP today as a backup.. especially a good idea if you plan on using video out.

The trailer looks good and it seems like it'll be another isometric game, unlike other SRWs. I wonder if they'll make the maps in 3D this time (not likely, but oh well).

Well I do have my hacked Go that I used to play my UMDs. :) Z2 looks AMAZING on the Go.

TimeKillr said:
Well I do have my hacked Go that I used to play my UMDs. :) Z2 looks AMAZING on the Go.
I just recently got temp CFW on my 2000 (the UMD drive is busted, so I had no choice). I was surprised how much faster A Portable runs from the memory card. I didn't notice a big diff with Z-2 since it has a data install option. Doesn't the Go have the same screen as the 3000? I wasn't a big fan of the scanline-ish display.

Dash Kappei said:
Which ones are partly/fully fan translated at this point?
3rd SRW, the original SRW for Gameboy, and Alpha Gaiden have full translations. A number of games have partial menu translations, mostly the SFC and DS games. For some reason translators have shied away from the CD/DVD based SRW games.

Masou Kishin II is available for pre-order at play-asia now. $60 for the asian version, not bad considering the exchange rate. Limited edition is too expensive for me.

TimeKillr

mjemirzian said:
I just recently got temp CFW on my 2000 (the UMD drive is busted, so I had no choice). I was surprised how much faster A Portable runs from the memory card. I didn't notice a big diff with Z-2 since it has a data install option. Doesn't the Go have the same screen as the 3000? I wasn't a big fan of the scanline-ish display.

Nah, the Go has a different screen from the 3000. It's a tiny bit smaller, and honestly it looks freaking AMAZING. No visible scanlines, the colors pop out a ton more, etc. Seriously, if it wasn't for the shitty buttons for action games, it would be the best thing that ever existed.

Also WTF at Play-Asia. 130 US for the Asian LE? They're insane. AmiAmi has it for 8680 yen, which is about 110 USD. I don't know if AmiAmi even has Asia releases too, so for all I know it could be the Japanese version too.

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=engl...-2440&template=default/product/e_display.html

Ever since I found AmiAmi I decided to say goodbye to Play-Asia. I got Z2 Premium from AmiAmi AFTER the game was released for like 40$ cheaper than what P-A was charging for pre-orders, which ran out in a few minutes, and they never got restocks.

Valygar

Amazing series. I have played Super Robot Wars OG 1 and 2 for the GBA, and arguably it is one of the reasons I've started to study japanese (I'm not a crazy fan, but if I almost missed this, surely there are a ton of things out there!). My favourite Tactics RPG, and that's a lot to say.

I absolutely love the music in those GBA games. I totally did not expect that and the wonderful animation scenes in each attack. I finished OG 1 without turning off animations, in OG 2 it was too much and I finally had to disable them.

My favourite song: Trombe!

Is Endless Frontier worth the time? I've seen videos but the gameplay/no robot theme was not very appealing...

TimeKillr

Lostconfused said:
So tempting, but the VITA should be out by then. So I am not sure if it's a good idea to buy physical copies of PSP games.

The problem is something like Z2 isn't out on J-PSN (afaik). So the odds of LOE being out on J-PSN are kinda low, I'm presuming, which means that you probably won't be able to play it on a VITA regardless (which sucks).

It probably has to do with licensing costs or something, even though Bandai owns most of the licences in them.

Wasn't exactly receptive to Masou Kishin's full size style when it first released. I did enjoy the SNES game though.

After watching that trailer I just might pick it up.

Top Bottom