• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

cj_iwakura

Yup.

I've been so hyped since I heard this.

You know what I realised, which is really exciting? Seeing the old Kaneko characters and demons in glorious HD graphics.

My kneejerk thought was that this was 3DS. A console mainline SMT HD. With Fire Emblem.

I just... what.

(If you want to get technical, SMT's had an FE like in Majin Tensei, but nothing like THIS.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if Raidou will be in this since he was in the special edition of Nocturne.
My kneejerk thought was that this was 3DS. A console mainline SMT HD. With Fire Emblem.

I just... what.

(If you want to get technical, SMT's had an FE like in Majin Tensei, but nothing like THIS.)

I still say it's a 3DS game being upscaled. The last FE and the last SMT game are both 3ds. It would be weird for this not to be. It's not impossible I guess, but it would be weird.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As in licensing the series for an actual installment they don't have control over.
Why would they have no control over it? Does Platinum not have control over Bayonetta 2 where it matters, as long as they actually want to put it on that platform at least? And I see no reason Atlus wouldn't want to put it on WiiU if they get enough $ for the development and to cover any potential under-performance compared to another 3DS entry. It's not like the hardware would limit them more than that or anything. I didn't suggest for Nintendo to tell them how to develop it.

Dantis

I just... what.

I know. Madness.

My only concerns are with the team developing it. I really hope that they have an Atlus art director and composer on board, at the very least.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why would they have no control over it? Does Platinum not have control over Bayonetta 2?

They don't have control on what platform it's on clearly, but they're in a different position since they don't publish games to being with.

TreIII

Yes it was. It got cancelled. Kamiya was directing it, and it got cancelled. Nintendo rescued it, but it was being developed before the WiiU.

I don't think Kamiya was ever working on what would become Bayonetta 2. He was talking about working on "something wonderful" since like 2010/2011.

Even if they were working secretly on it the whole time, Kamiya was likely in as much of a supervisory role as he is currently.

EDIT: Here's the tweet in question: http://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/24869151359

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think Kamiya was ever working on what would become Bayonetta 2. He was talking about working on "something wonderful" since like 2010/2011.

Even if they were working secretly on it the whole time, Kamiya was likely in as much of a supervisory role as he is currently.

I can dig up the old threads. He even said something about being real upset/disappointed whenever people would bring up Bayonetta 2. I think EatChildren even made a thread about it, and that's when it appeared the game was cancelled.

It's highly likely because Platinum's relationship with Sega was already strained. On their facebook they posted when Anarchy Reigns got delayed in the US, they were like 'we dont know whats going on'

For the record, I don't think anyone has any right to be upset with Nintendo about Bayo 2. I'm just stating what happened.
I'd be okay with either. OR BOTH.

Also I find it a little weird SJ got demoted/If got promoted. They're both side story games.

SJ gets promoted because Demonica suits are the coolest things to come out of SMT in years.

Alrus

Well they were crazy enough to publish Etrian Odyssey here... :p

They also did the Trauma games right? But then again they probably sold like shit since we never got Trauma Center DS 2 or Trauma team. Nor did we get any of the EO sequel :/

I just wish Atlus could open an european branch some day. Ghostlight are way too slow when it comes to localization, we still haven't got Devil Survivor: Overclocked....

This is pretty cool. Don't see how it'll work, but I think they're going to play the demon/monster capturing angle rather than having Fire Emblem characters + SMT characters in a parallel world set in a modern setting.

Hope it releases here. Since it's Atlus, I think it'll be localized.

TreIII

I can dig up the old threads. He even said something about being real upset/disappointed whenever people would bring up Bayonetta 2. I think EatChildren even made a thread about it, and that's when it appeared the game was cancelled.

It's highly likely because Platinum's relationship with Sega was already strained. On their facebook they posted when Anarchy Reigns got delayed in the US, they were like 'we dont know whats going on'

For the record, I don't think anyone has any right to be upset with Nintendo about Bayo 2. I'm just stating what happened.

While I agree with you on that, I just don't think Kamiya was ever directing the project:
http://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/24869151359

"Something Wonderful" eventually was Wonderful 101, as was later confirmed on Twitter last year. The time tables just don't add up, unless Kamiya was somehow directing two projects at once.

I don't know about this.

Tonally the series couldn't be more different.
If they try to make the game's story serious it will
turn out embarrasingly bad. Even worse if they'll
try to shoehorn the events into either series' canon.

As a fan of both series though, I'm definitely still
curious. It's at least promising to see Atlus developing
for the system.

Who knows what's next. Persona 5?

Dantis

This is pretty cool. Don't see how it'll work, but I think they're going to play the demon/monster capturing angle rather than having Fire Emblem characters + SMT characters in a parallel world set in a modern setting.

Hope it releases here. Since it's Atlus, I think it'll be localized.

The picture at the end of the trailer suggests that, at the very least, there will be a modern aspect to it.

smtfe.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What in that image suggests it's modern? Looks like a city on fire or something to me, could be a medieval fantasy city.

Dantis

Why are people acting like Fire Emblem games are completely light hearted affairs? The series has had plenty of very dark moments.

Because these things are relative. Fire Emblem is much lighter in tone relative to MegaTen. Everything from the art to the music to the plot is lighter.

cj_iwakura

Also, IS are working on this, I can't fathom it being anything but an SRPG.

Put down that axe, Hector. Demi-Fiend's going to break it in half and feed it to you.

EVOL 100%

Maybe it's going to be an original setting with original characters.

A sort of fusion version of the two series' lore.

I can't think of any other way to make this work in a story perspective.

Moonlight

Banned
Why are people acting like Fire Emblem games are completely light hearted affairs? The series has had plenty of very dark moments.
Darker than a lot of supposedly more mature games, even.

EDIT: If it works anything like Pokemon x Nobunaga, Atlus staff will definitely be responsible for a large part of the gameplay systems.

Even if Atlus wasn't offering a lot besides their IPs, Intelligent Systems is by far one of Nintendo's best studios. I wouldn't be at all concerned if it was largely them doing the work.

Now, this is a crossover that I can get behind. Looks like I won't be buying a Wii U just for Monster Hunter after all. Now i'm buying it for two games!

Dantis

Maybe it's going to be an original setting with original characters.

A sort of fusion version of the two series' lore.

I can't think of any other way to make this work in a story perspective.

This is what I was thinking.

Kaneko on character designs, please? PLEASE?

Dude has to have been working on something.

Top Bottom