• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do things on Xbox One take long to load?

These games must be throwing everything into RAM since launch games have so little time for optimization.

Reminds me of Splinter Cell on Wii U. Half a level still worked and played even after I took out the disc. That would explain why the load took a minute and a half.

Sounds like early 360 games. I remember them have long load times too. Personally I think it's down to coding, but it's possible that the BR drives are not performing at the rated spec. I highly doubt it's a slow HDD, I don't think it will be much slower (if at all) than PS4's.

DBT85

Sounds like early 360 games. I remember them have long load times too. Personally I think it's down to coding, but it's possible that the BR drives are not performing at the rated spec. I highly doubt it's a slow HDD, I don't think it will be much slower (if at all) than PS4's.

The games are installed to the HDD. Disk are there as a delivery method and authenticator.

This is nothing to do with HDD or BluRay speeds and all to do with software.

Lazaro

The Wii U system was slow and sluggish at launch but a System Update released earlier this year speeded the whole system up. Everything from boot time, opening/closing apps and multitasking was dramatically improved.

Microsoft
and SONY
just need to release an update once they fix the bugs and missing features.

Buy "fast loading" microtransaction for $.99 each time. Or buy "fast loading" SPECIAL VALUE PACK - 5 "fast loads" + 2 FREE "fast loads" for the best offer price of $8.99!*

*Offer requires subscription to XBox Live Gold, and current subscription to Fast Loading Season Pass.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Wii U system was slow and sluggish at launch but a System Update released earlier this year speeded the whole system up. Everything from boot time, opening/closing apps and multitasking was dramatically improved.

Microsoft
and SONY
just need to release an update once they fix the bugs and missing features.

It isn't just the system though, it's a lot of the games as well.

Rising_Hei

Games are just grabbing the cloud's power with each loading
Please understand, without those loading times games wouldn't be as amazing

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I died in Ryse earlier on and the loading took so long that I just turned the game off. I was honestly sat waiting for a good 5 mins.

Qassim

Are the people complaining about slow loading having the same problem with Forza 5? I'm curious - because I only have Forza 5, Killer Instinct and Fifa 14 (all digital) and the load times are excellent.

I died in Ryse earlier on and the loading took so long that I just turned the game off. I was honestly sat waiting for a good 5 mins.

5 minutes? Really? I just played Ryse and I have to say you might actually have an issue then with your system.

Hypron

Ryse really surprised me. Player I watched died inside a house (small area) and just reloading the checkpoint took about 30-60 seconds. Loading savefiles in CryEngine games on PC is almost instant if the level is already loaded, so I'm not sure what is going on with Ryse considering the PC like architecture of the bone.

Yeah. I remember in the crysis games you wouldn't even have a loading screen when you died, you'd restart playing pretty much straight away. That's really odd.

As an aside, it takes less than like, 8 seconds to get into the menus of Killzone Shadow Fall on the PS4.

I think it depends largely on how the devs set up their game, perhaps. I know one of the things Guerilla wanted was to have the game load as fast as possible.

Jomjom

Banned
MS doesn't want you to go hungry while gaming so it's giving you multiple opportunities to make sandwiches.

On a serious note, how are the loading times when running from an external HD? Xbox One has the feature where you can actually use externals for games right?

I think further down the road, there will be a pretty big number of people bravely trying to insert new hard drives into their Xbox One's to increase load times. If you have seen the videos of how to disassemble them, getting there is a pain. This is why I use the word 'bravely".

Phreak47

Wow. Killzone:SF, after the initial install (which isn't long either... under 3 minutes), takes barely more than 30 seconds to get all the way into the campaign. I think it's just as much Guerrilla's own tech as anything (they did say they were particularly proud of what they did to achieve those speeds.) They should make a killing licensing out that tech.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think further down the road, there will be a pretty big number of people bravely trying to insert new hard drives into their Xbox One's to increase load times. If you have seen the videos of how to disassemble them, getting there is a pain. This is why I use the word 'bravely".

Wait hold on, so is it replacable even if difficult? Are there any speed comparisons?

Izayoi

Banned
It definitely has something to do with the OS and the way software interacts with it.

The PS4 stock drive is identical to the XBO's when it comes to speed metrics.

Wait hold on, so is it replacable even if difficult? Are there any speed comparisons?
I was under the impression that the drive was not replaceable and by doing so you not only void your warranty, but also risk having your console banned from XBL.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I dunno if it's understood or not, but DR3 loads the whole world so it's a lot to load. even if it is a checkpoint restart.

YuShtink

What? I'm playing Ryse now and checkpoints take 10 seconds to reload. Didn't notice anything long about the initial load time either.

Sushen

Sad to hear. The 360 trained me to turn the system on or select an app and go do other things while it loads. I was hoping thngs woupd be better with the XB1 because the PS4 is no joke when it comes to speed. Switching between apps/games is instant, boot up is quick and it just blows my mind every time I do it.
No joke. Especially with WD scorpio the boot up is super fast where I don't feel the need to use stand by mode.

What does that have to do with loading games?

Gerstmann said KI load times were very bad. The Polygon stream had crimson dragon and it was loading pretty slow too.

thats weird crimson dragon boots up pretty fast, KI could be faster but it wasn't so bad that it distracted me but could they all be faster definitely

What? I'm playing Ryse now and checkpoints take 10 seconds to reload. Didn't notice anything long about the initial load time either.
Depends on the area apparently. Can take 5 seconds or 2 minutes depending where you die. Initial load time is masked by pre-rendered cutscenes.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I dunno if it's understood or not, but DR3 loads the whole world so it's a lot to load. even if it is a checkpoint restart.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that every time you die you have to wait almost an entire minute before you can start playing again.

If you're stuck up against a difficult Psycho, that could mean 3 minutes of play time repeatedly broken up into 1 minute loading breaks as you hope that next time you'll be able to beat them.

That's really, really rotten. The fact that it loads the entire world doesn't excuse it.

USC-fan

Banned
I have been watching the live streams and installing and loading are insanely slow on xbone. ps4 is like god speed compare to them.

really I just install bf4 and rival yesterday both were ready to play after about 30 sec on ps4. just crazy fast...

Matriox

Buy "fast loading" microtransaction for $.99 each time. Or buy "fast loading" SPECIAL VALUE PACK - 5 "fast loads" + 2 FREE "fast loads" for the best offer price of $8.99!*

*Offer requires subscription to XBox Live Gold, and current subscription to Fast Loading Season Pass.

Dont give them any ideas.

Top Bottom