• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Pila

I managed to find two hours yesterday and I started this thing.

Boy I need the weekend to start. XD

I tried to tap my Boo amiibo and
the amiibo thingy said something about getting me a moon. Is that a moon I "cheat" to get instead of looking for it? Any clue please?

Just started it, got to Waterfall Basin(?). Yeah, this is GOAT stuff so far.

I've been on a media blackout since E3 trailer.
This looks and feels so good I want to cry.

Thank you Nintendo for being the best game development company there is.

Japanese site, turns the music on/off 37 times and you'll listen to the Japanese version of the theme song

skip the 37 times on/off so here you go

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aaaca/common/hen3frereqax/jdabrufrut3p.mp3

Nice!
They kept the same singeress I guess, so she has an accent that shows she's not native which makes sense in the canon for "lady" I suppose.

The lyrics seems to make even less sense, or maybe I'm not good enough to understand them. :M

Pro controller support is disappointing. Lots of common actions require shaking the pro controller, which feels awful. Am I missing some button based way to, for example, jump high with the frog or do the spin attack?

You can do the Hat Spin attack by circling the stick before launching Cappy, but some boosted actions for captured enemies do require a shake. It's rare that you have to use them though: but some moon occasionally do.
Hope they'll add a button alternative or something else.

Kurt

I'm only in the second world so far but the textures are a mess (poor filtering maybe?) and everything is jaggy. The low res sticks out worse than Zelda did because of art style. It looks like a Wii U game tbh

But whatever I didn't expect anything other than GOTY caliber gameplay. It's still a blast to play even though it's not so nice to look at. Maybe I'll try handheld mode!

This has to be a joke? I mean it looks much better. Besides the levels are much bigger.
If someone can tell something about the gfx, then it's DigitalFoundry.

Pilgrimm

I totally love this game!

I do wonder though has anyone else issues with how Mario controls? Compared to 64 the last one I really played this feels less responsive.

Also in handheld mode I often have issues with depth perception....?

Is this an age thing or handheld thing. Lol

Maitiú

This is just incredible. Heads up! I highly recommend taking the time to press your map button. Nintendo went out of their way to present the worlds as if looking at a travel brochure, and it's amusing and oh-so-charming.

Edit: oh but maybe wait to look at the map towards the end of a level, because it's spoilery with what secrets the level entails.

xviper

to those who played Mario odyssey, can you enter a certain level for a certain Moon but can end up getting another moon like in Sunshine ??

dno_1966

Wow, couple of levels in and just amazing, the sheer amount of variety and creativity on display is staggering. I especially love the old school 2d sections, sublime! good job it's the weekend tomorrow!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Played for 45 minutes and it made me feel like a kid playing Super Mario Bros 3 for the first time. Don’t really know what else needs to be said.

How Nintendo continues to pull this shit off is beyond me.

Okay, time for bed now 😴

Maitiú

to those who played Mario odyssey, can you enter a certain level for a certain Moon but can end up getting another moon like in Sunshine ??

So far, there hasn't been a selected moon mission for me. But I'm not very far. I'm in the 2nd kingdom and have gotten 6 moons without any pointed direction.

oatmeal

Banned
It’s a free for all

No true structure after the first little bit

Doesn’t kick you out of a level, you just keep going

oatmeal

Banned
I managed to find two hours yesterday and I started this thing.

Boy I need the weekend to start. XD

I tried to tap my Boo amiibo and
the amiibo thingy said something about getting me a moon. Is that a moon I "cheat" to get instead of looking for it? Any clue please?
Gives you a hint on your map

I know I left a lot of moons behind in the first world guess I need to go back a bit but damn it is fun to move ahead

this game is really enjoyable

Stencil

I know I left a lot of moons behind in the first world guess I need to go back a bit but damn it is fun to move ahead

this game is really enjoyable

Having the same struggle; there seems to be so much all around me but I want to keep pushing forward. Very satisfying to upgrade the Odyssey to move to a new locale.

I feel like a lot of the moons are unavailable simply because of my lack of technical skill; there's a lot of moves in this. Am I doing it wrong when a lot of the moves feel like fighting game specials? I have to hit like 4-5 buttons in the right order in midair etc...

klier

Kind of crappy OT and even worse title for the greatest video game ever made on this planet, in my opinion. It seems rushed.

Just got my copy. An electronics store here was selling it 10€ off for today only, so managed to save some money as well.:p Now to stare at the clock and whittle away the minutes until I get off work...

RagnarokX

Intended or not?
There's an NPC near there who says he wants to cross to that island but there's no way, and the cacti line up to hint that it's possible to make the jump, but it's super tight.

This just impossible for me - how do you dive whilst holding y?

Rolling long jump, then throw the hat, execute a dive while holding Y and Mario will jump off of the hat, then throw the hat and execute a second dive.

If I have Zelda on my Switch already would I have enough space for this game as well? (No memory card)

I decided to change from physical to digital last minute.

Played 5 hours straight. This game is pretty amazing so far. Looking forward to digging in over the weekend.
Only downside is that the image quality is really inconsistent. Sometimes it's as clean as 900p can be but sometimes it's.. decidely less so.

Xenoblade

I dunno. I bought it digital and I'm kinda regretting it. I hate the person that I've become where I can't enjoy this game like I did 64 and Sunshine. I just got old I guess. Fair game to those of you that are enjoying it. I'm super envious of you all right now.

jdforge

Banned
I went digital - it’s just too convenient on Switch. The only retail game I have is BOTW.

Anyway - OH MY GAWD

This game is something else. Literally have not slept all night and plan to spend all day with this masterpiece.

Nintendo are on another level.

Top Bottom