• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Canceled my account last month after not getting my card, but went to Blade Runner at an AMC theater with a friend who used his card. I thought that AMC didn't allow MoviePass anymore?

Canceled my account last month after not getting my card, but went to Blade Runner at an AMC theater with a friend who used his card. I thought that AMC didn't allow MoviePass anymore?

Think it’s just the rewards points you can’t get from it

still no card for me day 36 😡😡😡

There is no way any theater can block MoviePass, short of choosing not to accept any more MasterCard credit/debit cards. And that isn’t going to happen.

RetroMG

Stilllll no card. They emailed me on Monday to say it was shipped. The app still says processing, though, is that normal?

So

I tried to use movie pass for the blade runner double feature. Swipe the card, am told movie pass only covers 13 dollars of the 15. I'm like fine, whatever, so I'm asked to pay the remaining 2 bucks. Swiped my credit card..

Now my card says 15 dollars pending.

What

It was me, Surfinn.

The author of all of your pain.

(The movie theater probably screwed up the charge, or just made the full charge pending in case the first card doesn't work)

PS GO WATCH BLADE RUNNER 2049

Bookoo

Think it’s just the rewards points you can’t get from it

still no card for me day 36 😡😡😡

AMC just blocked people from using E-Ticket meaning you can't get the tickets on your phone you have to go to the actually box office.

AMC Stubs points still work if you use the kiosk you still get points. One time I used the clerk and when he saw it was a moviepass he told me that there was a new policy that wouldn't allow me to get the points.

-50+ days of waiting and still going.
-Have tried to contact customer service via the app twice. No response, but one of my "conversations" was marked closed.
-Tweeted at Moviepass_CS on twitter and got a reply saying to DM them. Subsequent DM has been ignored for several days now.
-Have not received an email from the company in nearly a month.
-Moviepass app still has card's status as "processing", which it has been at for at least 3 weeks now.

Really frustrated with this company.

Surfinn

It was me, Surfinn.

The author of all of your pain.

(The movie theater probably screwed up the charge, or just made the full charge pending in case the first card doesn't work)

PS GO WATCH BLADE RUNNER 2049
I knew you'd be the fucking end of me.

Both films were so awesome to experience in a theater with reclining chairs.

Man, I waited 35 days for my card and I thought that was bad. I really feel for some of you. But I'm really happy to be getting a hell of a lot of use out of this thing. By the time my first billing cycle comes around I will have seen 20+ movies with it.

crazyprac

Uhhh dunno if it's a glitch since it's the first time seeing it but my local amc theater is only showing 1 movie blade runner. That's it lol.

Babalu.

yeah the theatres around me are only showing blade runner and mountain between us. I only wanna see blade runner so i dont care but wierd that they are only showing those two movies in the app.

Saw the same thing, a Regal was only showing Blade Runner and My Little Pony in the Moviepass app. So I said I was seeing My Little Pony and ..... didn't. I feel bad lol

Hope they don't ban my account.

Redd

AMC just blocked people from using E-Ticket meaning you can't get the tickets on your phone you have to go to the actually box office.

AMC Stubs points still work if you use the kiosk you still get points. One time I used the clerk and when he saw it was a moviepass he told me that there was a new policy that wouldn't allow me to get the points.

Hmmm that's weird. I look at my receipts and I still get points even if I pay at the ticketbooth.

JambiBum

So can you buy more than one ticket a day for the same showing using different transactions? Like doing multiple transactions but only buying one ticket at a time. I've only ever used it for just my ticket and since my wife doesn't have mp she pays the regular price.

So can you buy more than one ticket a day for the same showing using different transactions? Like doing multiple transactions but only buying one ticket at a time. I've only ever used it for just my ticket and since my wife doesn't have mp she pays the regular price.
You can’t buy more than one ticket per day, period. They don’t want anyone seeing two movies in a day, nor sharing their MoviePass.

I don’t think AMC ever partnered with MoviePass, which is the only way to use MoviePass’ E-Ticketing (which is why only a very small number of private theaters supports it). For 99% of theaters, you have to go to the box office and check in with your phone to buy the ticket.

To add more to the people having sudden bugs with showings, got an email from Goodrich (not movie pass, oddly) that movie pass eticketing wasn't working with their theaters now due to a bug. No clue how long it will take to fix. Been a couple of days now and it still hasn't been fixed.

Also, of course, MP has still not responded to my complaint about reserved seating not working at my theater. Been well over a month since they told me it would be fixed THAT day. I have sent multiple messages, as has my father and brother. Absolutely nothing in response.

AMC E-Tickets only worked with MoviePass in two cities, pre their $10 price drop, and after that AMC yanked those two cities quickly out of the program. So AMC e-Ticketing has never really worked for the majority of MoviePass users.

Stubs Premiere is YMMV, the AMC theater in my city doesn't give a shit and the guys at the box office will happily swipe the moviepass card along with the stubs pass on my phone, no problem. I still use the kiosk though, if you enter you email address on it it will give you AMC points no problem and won't deduct rewards points from tickets either. Going to see Blade Runner in a few minutes actually. AMC is really nice because it lets you pay for a ticket with multiple payment methods at the kiosk, whereas Regal and Cinemark both require only one payment method and if it doesn't have enough the ticket request is rejected.

JambiBum

You can’t buy more than one ticket per day, period. They don’t want anyone seeing two movies in a day, nor sharing their MoviePass.

I don’t think AMC ever partnered with MoviePass, which is the only way to use MoviePass’ E-Ticketing (which is why only a very small number of private theaters supports it). For 99% of theaters, you have to go to the box office and check in with your phone to buy the ticket.

Cool thanks.

Bookoo

Hmmm that's weird. I look at my receipts and I still get points even if I pay at the ticketbooth.

Yea, I just happened to get the employee who was following the new policy of not allowing it and he removed my stubs card from the transaction. Previously it worked just fine so I imagine it just depends on the employee you get.

I was really wanted to just telling him no thanks and go use the kiosk right in front of him, but since I wasn't sure if it still worked at the time I didn't bother.

causan

AMC is really nice because it lets you pay for a ticket with multiple payment methods at the kiosk, whereas Regal and Cinemark both require only one payment method and if it doesn't have enough the ticket request is rejected.

Huh, at my Regal theater, when I want to watch a RPX movie, when I purchase at the box office they just swipe my moviepass card and then tell me what the difference I owe, which usually is just a couple of dollars because I chose the evening movie on my MP app which loads up more funds onto the card and I usually go to the matinee.

Neverfade

Regal and Cinemark both require only one payment method and if it doesn't have enough the ticket request is rejected.

This is only true at Regal if the cashier is an idiot. It’s true that It will reject if there’s not enough and they just willy nilly swipe it, but their POS allows them to enter in a specific amount to partial charge. I know this because I managed a location for a decade.

BorganXI

Signed up Sept 6th and just got an email saying
the card is on the way.

Can't wait to start using it. I see a fair amount of movies anyway, but this will allow me to go to a lot more I'm on the fence about!

MXRider

How long does it take to get a card nowadays?

Edit: I had the thread open before the last post, so I guess it takes forever still.

old

How long does it take to get a card nowadays?

Edit: I had the thread open before the last post, so I guess it takes forever still.

Don't know about now but I signed up on 8-17 and got my card 9-28. They have said they've improved it but haven't heard by how much.

KyleCross

I have a question about the whole IMAX is against Tos thing. If you load a ticket via the app then pay the difference for IMAX, how does MoviePass know?

Rootbeer

Banned
Used my card for the first time earlier today for a Blade Runner 2049 showing.

When i walked up to the theater, I noticed the showtime I wanted to see wasn't listed in the app. But the showtime directly after it and later showtimes were. Strange.

I went ahead and selected the showtime closest to the one I wanted, and the App gave me the go ahead to use the card. I then went up to the kiosk and bought at ticket for the earlier showing I wanted, and it worked fine.

Just something to try if you encounter any weirdness.

louiedog

I have a question about the whole IMAX is against Tos thing. If you load a ticket via the app then pay the difference for IMAX, how does MoviePass know?

I don't know that they would right now, but they could start loading an extra few cents on the card and if that was regularly being taken they'd know you were buying a more expensive ticket.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
After signing up on August 19th I finally got my card Thursday. The check-in didn't work when I tried to see It but the cashier was nice enough to let me in any way having explained beforehand the app was stuck loading.

KyleCross

I don't know that they would right now, but they could start loading an extra few cents on the card and if that was regularly being taken they'd know you were buying a more expensive ticket.
In that instance you'd be able to tell the cashier "I want this much on this card, then I'll pay the rest with this" and tell her the typical movie ticket price.

I'm not all that interested in doing this. I don't find IMAX special, just a bigger screen (and my local IMAX has some annoying imperfections on theirs) and 3D is often just gimmick nonsense. I just was curious with how the process works on how'd they know.

In that instance you'd be able to tell the cashier "I want this much on this card, then I'll pay the rest with this" and tell her the typical movie ticket price.

I'm not all that interested in doing this. I don't find IMAX special, just a bigger screen (and my local IMAX has some annoying imperfections on theirs) and 3D is often just gimmick nonsense. I just was curious with how the process works on how'd they know.

But you wouldn't know if anything extra has been loaded onto the card, right? When I go to the theater and I buy a ticket even though I select $11.75 I don't KNOW they put exactly that amount on there, how do I know they didn't put $12? People have reported being short by something tiny like 23-cents, meaning the card didn't actually get loaded with the exact amount of the movie ticket, so doesn't it stand to reason it could go the other way too? We have no way of knowing the exact amount they load so unless you train yourself to just say the exact amount to the clerk any time you use it I dunno how a person would know when to start.

Top Bottom