• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just got a settlement check in the EA Sports lawsuit

Draconian

Interestingly enough, I got a check too, and I don't for the life of me remember filling anything out about this. Not that I'm complaining though, but yeah.

jwhit28

I got mine too. I'm actually thinking about using it on NCAA Football 14 since it's the end of what was my favorite sports series the last 2 generations.

GeeDuhb

Oh man, I completely forgot about this, but I did fill it out! Hopefully I get mine soon. This should be a nice wad of cash to put in my video game fund, going into the next gen/holidays!

Velcro Fly

Should be getting mine soon then I guess. Really wasn't paying attention to this stuff after I heard it was all being held up because some dude was appealing something. I thought for a long time I just wasn't going to see anything from this even though I filed a claim and got a claim number and stuff. Would be swell to have a bit of extra money to put towards Black Friday and holiday stuff.

I'll probably put whatever I get towards games or something this holiday. I bought a ton of PS2 Madden/NCAA games so I'll probably get like $50 or something

What Is This Class Action About?
The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.

Thinking about how Fifa got all the licenses and PES not. Such a shame we have no class action lawsuit in Europe.

Phades

If there was buyer's remorse with the postings, it would read like an EA sports annonomous rmeeting. It lacks folks following posts like Parexion's saying "don't do it man, you would just be falling off the wagon again!".

I'm glad you guys got reinbursed for these titles. I'm almost surprised something like this wasn't brought to court earlier since they basically have a monopoly on all direct representations of live sports within video games. Given the industry at present, I doubt that the games would have cost less though. I'm almost surprised that, given the technology options at present, they just don't have 1 feature engine title for each sport and just buy roster updates as DLC annually.

bigosc2k

Banned
I filled one out months ago, but when I hit confirm button it went back to the start of page explaining the lawsuit, mail came today I guess I won't get one.

jwhit28

If there was buyer's remorse with the postings, it would read like an EA sports annonomous rmeeting. It lacks folks following posts like Parexion's saying "don't do it man, you would just be falling off the wagon again!".

I'm glad you guys got reinbursed for these titles. I'm almost surprised something like this wasn't brought to court earlier since they basically have a monopoly on all direct representations of live sports within video games. Given the industry at present, I doubt that the games would have cost less though. I'm almost surprised that, given the technology options at present, they just don't have 1 feature engine title for each sport and just buy roster updates as DLC annually.

Well the year before EA exclusivity, NFL2k5 (I think, the one with T.O. on the cover) was the better game and $20 at release.

This extends further than videogames though. The NFL's entire business of licensing every team as a group to only one company could be in jeopardy. I'm not sure why the lawsuit is targeting EA and not the NFL.

Phades

This extends further than videogames though. The NFL's entire business of licensing every team as a group to only one company could be in jeopardy. I'm not sure why the lawsuit is targeting EA and not the NFL.

That is a very interesting point you bring up. Do you think that there is any group that would be willing to attempt that argument in court?

Avinexus

I got a $24 check, but it isn't even to my name. I don't remember claiming anything, but apparently I did and I put my name in as ASF ADSF...and they actually sent the check. So that was a waste.

jwhit28

I got a $24 check, but it isn't even to my name. I don't remember claiming anything, but apparently I did and I put my name in as ASF ADSF...and they actually sent the check.

For the games that used EA online IDs, you didn't have to do anything. I think the email just asked you to check your contact info. I bet there are a lot of checks getting sent to old addresses.

coreyerb

Banned
Don't remember if I put my old address on this form or not :-\. Luckily I know the people that took that apartment, I'll have to have them keep an eye out for my check.

I'm in a similar situation. I hope that it's forwarded to my new address.

Hopefully they will be sent to the right addresses but they say to email them if you changed your address. I would do that if your mail isn't being forwarded (and I might still even though mine is).

http://easportslitigation.com/Home/FAQ#1

kmathias

Neo Member
Damn...got $250 or so on mine. Bought Madden and NCAA every year from about 1998 to present, plus dual copies a couple of years for my buddy and bob versions in whichever year it switched over to 360.

Edit: they came to my address two houses ago, and had the green sticker on the back redirecting them to my current address

Chuck

Still without luck
You can now buy Battlefield 4 AND the season pass!!!

woops, guess it's $50 not $30

man what a fucking garbage company EA is.

weevles

I did receive the notice, but I can't remember if I actually sent my receipt in. I do remember that it mentioned that if too many people filed claims, the settlement would reflect that, possibly to a point where you'd get next to nothing.

graywolf323

I did receive the notice, but I can't remember if I actually sent my receipt in. I do remember that it mentioned that if too many people filed claims, the settlement would reflect that, possibly to a point where you'd get next to nothing.

same here, not to mention I'd only have receipts on hand if I had gotten it from Amazon

Cloudy

Banned
I only got like $46 even though I claimed several games? Why? lol

PS: I didn't send any receipts in but I did mention that I had them on the application form IIRC

Top Bottom