• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Coming to the PSThree!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gofreak said:
He seems confident in his team's ability. In fact, it's his confidence in his team and their talent that apparently also motivates him away from "small" PSN games because he wants to show how his people can compete against others. From the mtv interview:
His small team wasn't exactly small anyway... it's basically Incognito.

Oneself

I know but now that there is a thread:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. BEST DAY EVER.

Please please please please please keep the story and car style of Black... but get rid of the browns/green/gray theme.

BTW the gameplay in "Lost" is great. I like it more than Head On.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This is wonderful news. I got TM:HEAD ON yesterday hoping for this confirmation. I barely start playing and its already confirmed! :lol

Edit: Jaffe when are you gonna go on 1up Yours already?!?

Snah said:
Heh...I just had a thought for Twisted Metal PSTREE.....

Why not turn it into Sony's own SUPER SMASH CARS: BRAWL?

Here's what I mean....Sony has a huge list of franchise titles just like Nintendo. Sony also has a lot of third party support.

Why is Smash Bros so big? In part because the gameplay is so fun, but also because the game features characters/themes from the most beloved nintendo games and third party titles..

Wouldn't it be cool to have Twisted Metal feature this same sort of tactic? Imagine riding a METAL GEAR around facing a RESISTANCE 2 GOLIATH in an UNCHARTED THEMED STAGE WITH UNCHARTED MUSIC (you know that great song with an almost techno/jungle sound to it)?

Seriously, I think it could work. And it would be awesome. MAKE IT HAPPEN JAFFE!

Don't kill my Twisted Metal with your ploy to increase sales.

A mushroom cloud in the shape of a clown head? I can't think of another sony developer with the same sense of dark humour.

If you're right about the code then I'd say its a sure-shot.

Hype +1

Snah said:
It's a ploy to increase sales + increase the awesome-fucking-wowsomeness.

It doesn't fit the universe at all. It would just be using the Twisted Metal brand recognition to bring attention to some Super Smash Brothers type car combat game.

Snah

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
It doesn't fit the universe at all. It would just be using the Twisted Metal brand recognition to bring attention to some Super Smash Brothers type car combat game.

No one cares about the twisted metal "universe". I certainly don't. I like some of the characters, and hope they return, but I don't see how expanding the title would ruin the franchise.

I should really go pick up this new twisted metal game considering i've never played at TM game.

Awesome way to reveal a game though, eat sleep play. ^5

Snah said:
No one cares about the twisted metal "universe". I certainly don't. I like some of the characters, and hope they return, but I don't see how expanding the title would ruin the franchise.

I care actually. The universe sets the tone. Your not expanding Twisted Metal, your turning it in to an advertisement for Sony's other major franchises and throwing out its own identity.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Azrael said:
What exactly is the point of forming an independent studio if they're going to be working on franchise titles?
Ready at Dawn is laughing all the way to the bank. New titles come after the studio has some success.

Dante said:
That's cool, I mean I've never understood the appeal of Smash Bros, yet it seems to have an audiance.
Wow I was going to say the same thing :eek:

Ranger X

Talk about an old IP that is FAR from being dead. Twisted Metal is having so much potential. Now for a full fledged epic Twisted Metal with well crafted online mode i'm there that's for sure!!!

Firewire

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
A mushroom cloud in the shape of a clown head? I can't think of another sony developer with the same sense of dark humour.

October01_villains_03.jpg

Busty

Banned
If Eat.Sleep.Play are indeed doing a Twisted Metal game for the PS3 I hope Sony follow the same model they are using for SOCOM and Wipeout.

Perhaps we could have Jaffe and his team doing a larger 'proper' sequel to Twisted Metal for release sometime in 2009 while a smaller team develop a 'stop gap' Twisted Metal HD game for PSN.

To be honest, if this is true, and it seems to be the case, I'm a little surprised. I thought that Jaffe would have wanted a new IP to be Eat.Sleep.Play's first game. Interesting.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yoboman said:
It'll be smaller but fatter than that. A HDD wouldn't fit in that

Don't forget it's domed, so the 2.5" drive could easily slide in the middle of either side.

Besides, that's a T3 mock-up. I kinda like that design, but it's only a third-party concept.

Concept17

Busty said:
If Eat.Sleep.Play are indeed doing a Twisted Metal game for the PS3 I hope Sony follow the same model they are using for SOCOM and Wipeout.

Perhaps we could have Jaffe and his team doing a larger 'proper' sequel to Twisted Metal for release sometime in 2009 while a smaller team develop a 'stop gap' Twisted Metal HD game for PSN.

To be honest, if this is true, and it seems to be the case, I'm a little surprised. I thought that Jaffe would have wanted a new IP to be Eat.Sleep.Play's first game. Interesting.

I imagine using a well known franchise of their own is perfect for a first full blown ps3 game. Their team will get the chance to get comfortable with the hardware and what it takes, which should be extremely valuable on their second title, and allow them to take more risks with a fresh IP.

As long as it has the co-op story modes like in previous Twisted Metal games (both online and split-screen please) I'm all over this. For me TM2 was just an ok single-player game, but it really came alive playing with a friend.

Struct09

I hope it's dark like Twisted Metal Black. It's not that I don't like the setting of games like Head On, but the atmosphere of TM:B was perfect.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think it's time to consider letting the drivers out of their cars on a limited basis. Not necessarily full-blown on foot action, but the ability to hijack other cars and displace their drivers seems like it fits the spirit of TM well and might expand the gameplay in a satisfying fashion. Give drivers the ability to bail from their cars before they get completely destroyed and allow them to try to hijack the other cars to stay in the game. Would be neat if they could incorporate a Pursuit Force style component somehow that would be player controllable both from the hijacker's and the defender's perspective.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yoboman said:
This confirms slimline PS3 too
Well, if the code was cracked by matching numbers to letters, had they said "16 19 3" that would have been interpreted as PSC. With the code presented the way it was, they HAD to spell out the three.

You're reading too much into it...wait...scratch that...you're not thinking it through enough

Well if you watched the documentary included in Head On: Extra Twisted Edition you get some insight on what they want to do with the next title. Jaffe said he got bored with the dark, same color palette from Black so I think its safe to say this one will be a little more colorful. I'm sure the storyline and universe will still be pretty twisted and fucked up though.

Also, you can bet on there being all kinds of online modes and play as this is pretty much the standard in high quality games these days, as well as Jaffe being all about multiplayer.

My idea is that its going to be more sandbox like, ala Burnout Paradise. I'll bet there will be car customizations too so you can have an identity of your own.

Madman

kaching said:
I think it's time to consider letting the drivers out of their cars on a limited basis. Not necessarily full-blown on foot action, but the ability to hijack other cars and displace their drivers seems like it fits the spirit of TM well and might expand the gameplay in a satisfying fashion. Give drivers the ability to bail from their cars before they get completely destroyed and allow them to try to hijack the other cars to stay in the game. Would be neat if they could incorporate a Pursuit Force style component somehow that would be player controllable both from the hijacker's and the defender's perspective.
Sounds like a pretty damn good idea. A Warhawk/Twisted Metal blend would be pretty awesome.

Foil

Snah said:
Heh...I just had a thought for Twisted Metal PSTREE.....

Why not turn it into Sony's own SUPER SMASH CARS: BRAWL?

Here's what I mean....Sony has a huge list of franchise titles just like Nintendo. Sony also has a lot of third party support.

Why is Smash Bros so big? In part because the gameplay is so fun, but also because the game features characters/themes from the most beloved nintendo games and third party titles..

Wouldn't it be cool to have Twisted Metal feature this same sort of tactic? Imagine riding a METAL GEAR around facing a RESISTANCE 2 GOLIATH in an UNCHARTED THEMED STAGE WITH UNCHARTED MUSIC (you know that great song with an almost techno/jungle sound to it)?

Seriously, I think it could work. And it would be awesome. MAKE IT HAPPEN JAFFE!

No thank you.

kaching said:

No. Sorry, but just no.

Oneself said:
Oh God no. I want a story mode.

One of the best parts of this series is the story mode. Cutting that for a multiplayer only game would be a joke. Oddly I can see this happening...

Madman said:
Sounds like a pretty damn good idea. A Warhawk/Twisted Metal blend would be pretty awesome.

If you want Warhawk, play Warhawk. Do we want every single game to blend into one another now? That's as bad as IGN saying TM should have flying vehicles in it.

Madman

Foil said:
If you want Warhawk, play Warhawk. Do we want every single game to blend into one another now? That's as bad as IGN saying TM should have flying vehicles in it.
Twisted Metal could use that feature. Perhaps something more like having to go to central hubs and getting your car, which would be cutomizable, would fit better. Or being able to steal people's customized cars and adding them to your garage.

Either way, I agree with him because the modern market probably won't go for an ordinary TM. I would love another TM2 or TM:Black, but I realize that it just won't happen. If the franchise wants a chance at being a success this generation, they will have to do something different. Flying vehicles wouldn't work. But customizable vehicles and maybe a TPS aspect would keep true to the formula while adding extra.

kaching said:

How'd you get Axel out though?

twistedmetal_screen001.jpg

Foil said:
Hopefully disc and it stays the hell away from being a PSN game. I like Warhawk and all, but I sure don't want to see Twisted Metal follow in its footsteps.
Whats the problem with it being offered on psn like warhawk?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SolidSnakex said:
How'd you get Axel out though?
Don't know and don't care. Never liked the Axel concept. Although the illustrated portion of that pic certainly depicts him as potentially detachable, at least in initial design concept. So just go back to that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
kaching said:
Don't know and don't care. Never liked the Axel concept. Although the illustrated portion of that pic certainly depicts him as potentially detachable, at least in initial design concept. So just go back to that.

In Twisted Metal 2, Axel wishes to be free of his vehicle. So Calypso grants him his wish...except what Calypso does is rip him out of it (thus the arms and legs). It was quite the sick ending, but very fucking awesome.

Mojovonio

Banned
Wait, didn't we know all this last year? I'm sure I saw that picture somewhere.

Anyways, what else has this developer done? Cause remember what happened when 989 took over the series? Yeah.

And please revert back to the OLD sweettooth, I hate the one with a beer belly.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Foil said:
No. Sorry, but just no.
That's fine, to each their own. Is there anything you'd add to the central gameplay to expand on the mechanics that have been pretty static for the past 2-3 games?

AlphaSnake said:
In Twisted Metal 2, Axel wishes to be free of his vehicle. So Calypso grants him his wish...except what Calypso does is rip him out of it (thus the arms and legs). It was quite the sick ending, but very fucking awesome.
So, can you tell how much I played Axel? ;) In any case, it sounds like the post TM2 Axel is primed to be as separable from his vehicle as anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom