• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 years later, Majora's Mask is still blowing my mind

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The "Final Hours" track is one of my favorite pieces of video music of all time.

Also, let's not forget the fantastic Haunted Majora's Mask video series, starting with Day Four.

The follow-ups are in the related videos tab.

closnyc

Banned
this and wind waker ar emy favorite zelda ever made. Majoras takes the cake for its uniqueness and its world. A gem of a game.

CorvoSol

this and wind waker ar emy favorite zelda ever made. Majoras takes the cake for its uniqueness and its world. A gem of a game.

I think overall Majora is the better game in a lot of ways. The ending is easily my favorite in the series, what with how hard you, personally, have to work to earn it. It's one of the few games where I've ever actually cared about the people I've been tasked to save.

Wind Waker, on the other hand, plays on all my nostalgia about the series, and uses that to inflict as much pain as it can. Link reaching out for Daphnes' hand is still, in my opinion, the single most heartbreaking moment in the entire series. Wind Waker's Hyrule segments and the characters of Daphnes and Ganondorf are definitely that game's story's strong points.

Neiteio

Majora's Mask is the only Zelda with a legitimately mature story. None of the usual contrived "forces of light vs. forces of darkness" bullshit. Here, we just have people... Scared, insecure, lonely and heartbroken people. And slowly but surely, you set it all right, mending one relationship at a time, seeing each three-day cycle in a new way. It's a game made up of many small human stories, stitched together in a warm tapestry of love and darkness. And everything about it is iconic, from the titular heart-shaped mask to the red-eyed moon to the children playing under the lone tree on a hill inside it.

And gameplay-wise, nothing beats "pod racing" as a Goron, or jetting through the ocean as a Zora. The time mechanics, which truly make MM the first and only 4D game, are the most-discussed aspect, but the transformation masks were something special as well, giving us effectively four playable characters in one. And so many bits I love to revisit, and can without starting a new file, thanks to time travel. The waterfall rapids, the Goron race, the pirate fortress, racing the butler, etc. Not to mention all of the character-driven sidequests like Kafei and Anju...

This needs to come to 3DS. It's such a quick way for Nintendo to turn a profit. So many of the assets have already been updated thanks to OoT 3D, as MM recycled many assets of OoT originally anyway. Just do it, Nintendo. This is your best game. Future-proof it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Majora's Mask is the only Zelda with a legitimately mature story. None of the usual contrived "forces of light versus forces of darkness / hero of destiny" bullshit. Here, we just have people... Scared, insecure, lonely and heartbroken people. And slowly but surely, you set it all right, mending one relationship at a time, seeing each three-day cycle in a new way.

And gameplay-wise, nothing beats "pod racing" as a Goron, or jetting through the ocean as a Zora. The time mechanics, which truly make MM the first and only 4D game, are the most-discussed aspect, but the transformation masks were something special as well, giving us effectively four playable characters in one.

This needs to come to 3DS. It's such a quick way for Nintendo to turn a profit. So many of the assets have already been updated thanks to OoT 3D, as MM recycled many assets of OoT originally anyway. Just do it, Nintendo. This is your best game -- future-proof it.

Okay, the game is stellar, but this section sucked ass. So frustrating.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you specifically meant the Goron races.

SpacLock

If the graphics are that much of a hurdle, cross your fingers for a 3DS remake alongside everyone else.
Hell yeah you're missing a lot.

And to be quite honest, I was in disbelief at how good Majora's Mask looks on the VC. The IQ is unbelievably good for an N64 game. When I played, I noticed ZERO jaggies. The colors are so vibrant, and there is NO slowdown whatsoever. Just an unbelievable emulation job done by Nintendo.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give it a shot sometime this week.

It's been my second favorite game (after Ocarina) since I first played it many years ago.

I need to replay it sometime soon. I'd appreciate much of the story more today than I did in the past.

Neiteio

Okay, the game is stellar, but this section sucked ass. So frustrating.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you specifically meant the Goron races.
I meant rolling around as a Goron in general, though as I note in my edit of the post, the Goron races was one of the parts I loved. It was challenging, but absolutely doable, and leaning into the turns so tight that you're practically carving out the mountain had its thrills. :)

Mistle

LxlXB.png

coincidence?

i like that you can always choose suicide in the game.

I mean, lets say link finishes the first 3 temples and then just said fuck it, this world is too depressing, there's no point saving these people only to let them continue living lives where they're constantly seperated, working themselves to death, invisible to the rest of the world etc. So he decides to end the game by letting the moon fall.

instead the game really highlights those small moements which give link hope that this land is something worth saving.

the game is hauntingly beautiful.

bomma_man

My favourite game of all time. It should revolutionised narrative in games the way Ocarina revolutionised mechanics but, sadly, it's innovations seem to have been completely ignored. There are very few games where the reward of a quest is not an arbitrary trinket but the feeling of satisfaction you get when helping someone.

The theme of powerlessness in the face of mortality - the feeling that you can never quite do all you've ever wanted - is central to a lot of my favourite works of art (Never Let Me Go (the novel) and Synecdoche, New York being a couple) and Majora's Mask is the only game I've played that explores that theme with any kind of competence.

Would love a remake in the style of the concept art.

iTqYjQzjkQWh.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
Truly a gem. Games = art does not get any closer than with MM. It is not about the visuals, it is about telling a story and evoking emotions in a way that no other medium could ever replicate.

Mikau's story is also quite tragic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFLKQBOOWe8
From zeldapedia:
When trying to recover Lulu's eggs, which were stolen by Gerudo Pirates, Mikau was mortally wounded and left to die in the waters of Great Bay Coast. When Link arrives in Great Bay, he notices several seagulls flying in circles just off the coast. Here, he finds Mikau floating limply in the water, where he pleads for Link to help him get to shore. When they reach dry land, Mikau tries to get up and walk, but collapses. [...]The last words he utters before collapsing are a plea for Link to "heal his soul".

Link, understanding his plight, plays the "Song of Healing" for Mikau on his ocarina. In a dream-like scene, Mikau is reunited with his fellow bandmembers one last time as his spirit leaves his body. The body also disappears in a faint blue light, leaving behind only the Zora Mask, which contains his soul. Link takes the mask, which transforms him into Mikau. Mikau appears shortly thereafter in spirit form, asking the hero to carve his farewell song onto his grave. Link promises Mikau to help Lulu in his place, and to save the Zoras from their plight. Later in the game, when Link plays the "Elegy of Emptiness" in his Zora form, it creates a shell that looks like Mikau.

HYDE

Banned
The way people in here feel about MM I feel about WW. I don't know why I can't get past the time ticking down that drives me crazy. I would probably give the game another chance if it got a remake like Ocarina of Time 3DS. I've tried to like it three times though, and other than the terrible four swords/four swords adventures games, this is the only other zelda I don't like.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The way people in here feel about MM I feel about WW. I don't know why I can't get past the time ticking down that drives me crazy. I would probably give the game another chance if it got a remake like Ocarina of Time 3DS. I've tried to like it three times though, and other than the terrible four swords/four swords adventures games, this is the only other zelda I don't like.

the clock is usually not an issue. with the slowdown 3 days is actually quite a bit of time. if u are about to start a dungeon, just restart and go with the full time.

the game is actually good for my OCD inclinations to try and open every single chest and visit every grotto. since everything is reset, it doesnt matter so i dont care. :p

trinest

This is why I hate how Nintendo thinks fans think OoT is the best and should be repeated over and over.

I'd kill for the same treatment for MM. It is Nintendo's best Zelda.

MM love makes me all warm and fuzzy. It's one of the best examples of the inherent advantages of interactivity in art. I find it peculiar that no one has really taken cues from the best aspects of its achievements, even Nintendo hasn't. Best Zelda game for me.

MM is the best zelda. period.

I love the haunting atmosphere and the sense of mystery. So many memorable moments.
Everything is just packed with stuff to discover.
My favorite creepy thing is probably how the zora and goron masks are basically the faces of deceased people. Link is rockin' it Ed Gein style.

Jackano

LxlXB.png

coincidence?

Mind blown, thank you. But, it will actually be even more mind blowing if there weren't the pig, who isn't part of the Starfox team. Just like it will just have been in a col of 4 out of 4 instead of a row of 5 out of 6.

The last time I played through this game was also the first time in years, it was as if the game took on a completely different tone that I hadn't noticed when I was younger. Sadly the dungeons were still lacking, no doubt in my mind that if there was an improvement on the dungeon front it might be my favourite Zelda game.
It could also have done with some new items, granted the masks fill this role well and they made the elemental arrows a main item.

And yes Pigma was part of the original Starfox team, the one who betrayed James and Peppy

Pollux

MM is the best zelda. period.

I love the haunting atmosphere and the sense of mystery. So many memorable moments.
Everything is just packed with stuff to discover.
My favorite creepy thing is probably how the zora and goron masks are basically the faces of deceased people. Link is rockin' it Ed Gein style.

All three of the masks are deceased people. Deku mask is the Deku Butler's son.

Luigiv

Mind blown, thank you. But, it will actually be even more mind blowing if there weren't the pig, who isn't part of the Starfox team. Just like it will just have been in a col of 4 out of 4 instead of a row of 5 out of 6.

it's 5 out of 5, not 5 out of 6. The transformation masks don't count (since they have their own little sidebar and everything).

Still the best world ever created in an adventure game. Doesn't matter how big these sandbox and WRPG worlds get, they can't compete with this. So many details put in, haunting atmosphere and probably never repeatable because of the Groundhog Day concept behind it.

K' Dash

Pigma was a Star Fox team along James McCloud and Peppy, that'd be all the star fox members alive, even if Pigma left for Star Wolf.

I've heard of Pigma's redemption in Assault, but I never got to play it.

ultron87

I'm kind of convinced that a lot of the people that don't like this game due to the "time pressure" didn't know about the time-slow song.

1. A 3DS remake with spruced up visuals and (more importantly) a fixed framerate would almost certainly convince me to buy a 3DS.

2. The writing is superb, which means the translation must have also been excellent. I'd love to see a feature on the process of translating a Zelda game, especially as it's unusual in still largely relying on text.

Mumei

Majora's Mask is the only Zelda with a legitimately mature story. None of the usual contrived "forces of light vs. forces of darkness" bullshit. Here, we just have people... Scared, insecure, lonely and heartbroken people. And slowly but surely, you set it all right, mending one relationship at a time, seeing each three-day cycle in a new way. It's a game made up of many small human stories, stitched together in a warm tapestry of love and darkness. And everything about it is iconic, from the titular heart-shaped mask to the red-eyed moon to the children playing under the lone tree on a hill inside it.

And gameplay-wise, nothing beats "pod racing" as a Goron, or jetting through the ocean as a Zora. The time mechanics, which truly make MM the first and only 4D game, are the most-discussed aspect, but the transformation masks were something special as well, giving us effectively four playable characters in one. And so many bits I love to revisit, and can without starting a new file, thanks to time travel. The waterfall rapids, the Goron race, the pirate fortress, racing the butler, etc. Not to mention all of the character-driven sidequests like Kafei and Anju...

This needs to come to 3DS. It's such a quick way for Nintendo to turn a profit. So many of the assets have already been updated thanks to OoT 3D, as MM recycled many assets of OoT originally anyway. Just do it, Nintendo. This is your best game. Future-proof it.

Agreed.

Best Zelda game.

Seda

I say this in every Majora's Mask thread.

It's not even a time limit really. It's just a way to redo your favorite parts of the game, to explore different areas at different times, and to see how each and every NPC spends their 3 days.

You want to do a dungeon? Restart time, slow it down, warp to the dungeon entrance, do the dungeon, you'll probably have 2 whole days left when you finish. And that's not rushing at all.

After beating a dungeon once, you can then skip straight to the boss and clear a dungeon in very little time at all. Since clearing a dungeon changes the local areas a bit, this is really useful.

K' Dash

I'm kind of convinced that a lot of the people that don't like this game due to the "time pressure" didn't know about the time-slow song.

I never used that song and loved the game, it is supposed to be like that, you do all the sidequests to open the temple, get the song, RESET the time, open the temple and beat it.

The 3 days are more than enough beat any dungeon.

I remember after finishing the game, I went and killed all 4 bosses again to clean all areas, saved and started a new game.

Ultimadrago

LxlXB.png

coincidence?

Holy shit.

I have to pick up my brain chunks from the floor.

Pigma was part of the original Star Fox team though, right?

Yeah, so he actually does have some sort connection with that group.

Pigma was a Star Fox team along James McCloud and Peppy, that'd be all the star fox members alive, even if Pigma left for Star Wolf.

I've heard of Pigma's redemption in Assault, but I never got to play it.

Afraid, there's no such thing.

Seda

I never used that song and loved the game, it is supposed to be like that, you do all the sidequests to open the temple, get the song, RESET the time, open the temple and beat it.

The 3 days are more than enough beat any dungeon.

I remember after finishing the game, I went and killed all 4 bosses again to clean all areas, saved and started a new game.

Whenever I'm at the point where I'm ready to go to the moon, I always clear the dungeons before night of the final day.

Dungeons 3 and 4 are among my favorite of the whole franchise. Overall it really feels like the devs went into my brain and tailored the game to give me exactly what I wanted but didn't know I wanted. Other games that did that for me were Persona 3, Chrono Cross and Baten Kaitos Origins.

Truly a gem. Games = art does not get any closer than with MM. It is not about the visuals, it is about telling a story and evoking emotions in a way that no other medium could ever replicate.

I don't care much for that debate, but when it comes to what you described, in all fairness Mother 3 is really great at that as well.

Drakken

Reading through this thread has been an awesome nostalgia trip, and a reminder of just how different MM's writing and subject matter was.

MM is my favorite Zelda game. What made it so special (the NPC interactions, the life of the world) seems to be what's been missing from both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Twilight had better dungeons, on the whole, than Majora did. But Majora was filled to the brim with content and life. The Stone Tower Temple was also one of the best Zelda dungeons. And the Majora's bosses were incredible, iconic, and memorable.

I think overall Majora is the better game in a lot of ways. The ending is easily my favorite in the series, what with how hard you, personally, have to work to earn it. It's one of the few games where I've ever actually cared about the people I've been tasked to save.

Yep. I didn't connect with Skyward Sword at all. When people talk about tearing up at parts of SS, I just... can't understand that at all. The characters and the world were too cartoony. I didn't really care about them.

MM felt like a living, breathing world that I was actually immersed in. There were strong connections with the characters, and real emotional resonance there. It was legitimately weighty. It would be nice if they could recreate that feeling in the future.

<3

This thread made me realize I NEED to replay this game. Last time I played it must have been at least 7 years ago.

Such a mindblowing and beautiful game.

Absolutely amazing game. I played in 100% to completion a summer ago. The only thing I hate about the game was teh lackluster dungeons. Thankfully, teh great fairy quest helped to make up for that.

Top Bottom