• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing.

Let's say that hypothetically speaking the FBI and the CIA bring a rock solid case to the attention of the Justice Department that Trump and his cronies were in collusion with Russia.

The Justice Department says "Oh well we don't have anyone to review that."

What do you think happens? The IC takes their ball and goes home or do they take extreme measures?
Justice Dept cant say that. Its their job to review cases. It would be like Trump firing Comey.

Here's the thing.

Let's say that hypothetically speaking the FBI and the CIA bring a rock solid case to the attention of the Justice Department that Trump and his cronies were in collusion with Russia.

What do you think happens? The IC takes their ball and goes home or do they take extreme measures?

I would assume extreme measures. At bare minimum they release it to the media and public.

What could possibly have happened? Did someone threaten her?

There are a few possibilities. She could have left because she felt she was being obstructed by the WH and wanted to draw attention, or she could be working with the WH to obstruct, or maybe she just doesn't want to be the person who presses charges against a sitting President.

Ac30

Here's the thing.

Can the states bring cases like this against the government? Because I can see MA, NY, CA etc. foaming at the mouth.

Chumley

Banned
Justice Dept cant say that. Its their job to review cases. It would be like Trump firing Comey.

Trump just recently said he still might fire Comey.

Nothing is off the table as long as he knows he has congress by the balls. I have no doubt the official that's leaving was directly threatened by his people. They're pulling out all the stops now.

So two positions that were going to have to fight Trumps bullshit have both been promptly abdicated for "wanting to spend time with family"

What a pair of gutless assholes. "Oh it's too hard I'll just quit" Did they not read what their jobs fucking entailed.

I thought it was not possible for Trump to fire the FBI director?

He's the president, he can do it. But it would signal imminent impeachment.

bJfJOGt.gif

Nixon didn't fire the FBI director, but such an act would be very similar to Nixon and end the same way (or worse, because if any of this Russia shit is true Trump is guilty of treason).

Trump just recently said he still might fire Comey.

Nothing is off the table as long as he knows he has congress by the balls. I have no doubt the official that's leaving was directly threatened by his people. They're pulling out all the stops now.
Sure. But that'll cause a huge uproar and he will basically sign "guilty" on his back if he does that. Thats why he's hesitant. Justice Dept ignoring a very real recommendation from FBI would signal the same thing. And FBI will start leaking like a sieve.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He's the president, he can do it. But it would signal imminent impeachment.

bJfJOGt.gif

Nixon didn't fire the FBI director, but such an act would be very similar to Nixon and end the same way (or worse, because if any of this Russia shit is true Trump is guilty of treason).

You make a very big assumption that Republican's give a shit. At this point they and their base are fine with Russian collaboration.

Slime

Banned
You make a very big assumption that Republican's give a shit. At this point they and their base are fine with Russian collaboration.

Yeah. I've said before, if Trump were to fire Comey, the GOP response would be to praise him for purging someone appointed by Obama. The right-wing media machine would run with it, and by the end of the day, 40+% of the country would be satisfied that a politically motivated monster was just removed from office by hero Trump.

WaPo: Trump’s treasury secretary: The tax cut ‘will pay for itself’

Keep trying. The nth time is sure to be the one that works!

It would make more sense to not couple major tax increases and spending cuts with efforts like infrastructure and health care instead. They're cheaper initiatives and decent bang for buck that would make Republicans look so good. Tax cuts that are disproportionately beneficial to the rich won't help get us to where we want to be.

Wilsongt

Grain of salt, but....

After proposing to eliminate the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) in its draft budget, the Trump administration, through the Department of Energy, has started withholding money for grants already approved by the agency, Politico reported Thursday, citing two unidentified sources.

The hold on the money for the grants began last week, Politico reported. During his run for the White House, President Donald Trump promised to target federal funding for agencies, like ARPA-E, that promote clean energy technologies.

Trump’s “America First: A Blueprint to Make America Great Again,” released March 16, eliminates all funding for ARPA-E and and a similar agency for vehicle technology “because the private sector is better positioned to finance disruptive energy research and development and to commercialize innovative technologies.”

In response to Trump administration claims that the private sector is prepared to invest in these technologies, former ARPA-E director Ellen Williams insisted at a March conference that the agency “does not compete at a stage at which the private sector does R&D,” according to a Forbes news report. The agency is looking at funding early stage technologies “that are very high risk and allowing those technologies to compete … on an even playing field to move themselves forward on a pathway toward commercial assessment,” she said.

https://thinkprogress.org/arpa-e-funding-not-going-through-5da18dccd935

Has Tennessee drifted redder since 2006? I'm going to guess that the answer is an unequivocal "yes", but it's still surprises me that it was one of the major contested Senate seats during that wave.
Thinking back, I wonder if Harold Ford could have held on in 2012 for a second term had he won in 2006. Romney won Tennessee by 20 points, but the same could be said for North Dakota and West Virginia. Those latter two states seem far more elastic however.

Ogodei

It wouldn't be Cruz's time. He can whip the evangelicals into a religious fervor better than the Dems can drive turnout, at least in a state like Texas. Things would have to go pretty pear-shaped for that to happen.

By 2024 and Cruz's next re-election? Then it's time to sweat.

Trump hasn't been too popular in Texas.

Texas is becoming kind of "purplish" now. Probably not enough to take it, but certainly enough to render it competitive in a bad year.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Texas is a big place, with several of its big cities being fast growing tech hubs that are attracting a good amount of talent from other states.

Ted is also a first term Senator, who has garnered a lot of hate over the last 4 years. Plus he only got 55% of the vote in 2012, when he didn't have as much negative press.

Tax cuts that are disproportionately beneficial to the rich won't help get us to where we want to be.

Define "us" and "we."

Yeah. I've said before, if Trump were to fire Comey, the GOP response would be to praise him for purging someone appointed by Obama. The right-wing media machine would run with it, and by the end of the day, 40+% of the country would be satisfied that a politically motivated monster was just removed from office by hero Trump.

It doesn't matter. If Trump did this, he'd absolutely guarantee the House and Senate next year and his failed re-election in 2020. Hell, Comey's own loyalists under him would leak like water through a pasta strainer if Trump fired him for partisan reasons.

How did Cruz get unpopular in Texas? I thought him lasting longer than anyone in GOP primary would mean more popularity.

Yes, TX does have nutjobs, but they also have Ann Richards Republicans who find Cruz slimy.

Trump hasn't been too popular in Texas.

Texas is becoming kind of "purplish" now. Probably not enough to take it, but certainly enough to render it competitive in a bad year.

Think we talked about this a while back in the thread, but Hillary lost Texas by 9%.

Some solid blue states Obama won by more than 9% in 2008 that flipped to GOP Senator in 2010:

Illinois (25% in 2008, Kirk won by 1.5% in 2010) *not incumbent
Wisconsin (14% in 2008, Johnson won by ~5% in 2010)
Pennsylvania (10% in 2008, Toomey won by 2% in 2010) *not incumbent

(also MA but that wasn't a midterm election)

Now, 2008 and 2016 are very different, but I think Cruz is more vulnerable than people think if the national momentum is enough against the GOP, especially since Cruz is hated by everyone but his (sizable) base. The gap in popular vote didn't just come from California - the 8% shift blue in Texas helped a lot (500k more votes than Obama in 2012)

Think we talked about this a while back in the thread, but Hillary lost Texas by 9%.

Some solid blue states Obama won by more than 9% in 2008 that flipped to GOP Senator in 2010:

Illinois (25% in 2008, Kirk won by 1.5% in 2010) *not incumbent
Wisconsin (14% in 2008, Johnson won by ~5% in 2010)
Pennsylvania (10% in 2008, Toomey won by 2% in 2010) *not incumbent

(also MA but that wasn't a midterm election)

Now, 2008 and 2016 are very different, but I think Cruz is more vulnerable than people think if the national momentum is enough against the GOP, especially since Cruz is hated by everyone but his (sizable) base. The gap in popular vote didn't just come from California - the 8% shift blue in Texas helped a lot (500k more votes than Obama in 2012)

Also, we should be positioning for a post-2020 census where the Sun Belt gains electoral votes (and population in general) while the Rust Belt loses some. I don't think it's enough to write off the Rust Belt like we do with the plains, but we know where this ship is headed. We need to be prepped as fuck when it gets there.

Also, remember, a lot of current Republican's in Texas were blue dog Democrat's a generation ago. Rick Perry while an ass on stuff like abortion, guns, and such, wasn't totally terrible on fiscal policy and immigration. Sure, they never raised taxes, they just used gimmicks to stop Kansas like strip mining of the budget.

The real cleavage there is those old style ex-Democrats like Perry and the current Speaker of the Texas House (who's a Republican but a dealmaker type, so TrueCons hate him) and the Cruz-style burn it all down conservatives.

So, while it's a real challenge, I could easily see some of those conservative Republicans (and let me be clear here, they're all very conservative by our standards) to possibly vote for a Democrat in the general if Trump is going down and Cruz is being an idiot still.

Slacker

You know, there was a time when publicly fantasizing about murdering the president might get a fellow off the list of those who get the honor of visiting the Oval Office when the next administration takes over. Ah, memories.

Maledict

Is it scary that Sarah Palin probably has the best actual policy chops in that picture? (Or at least, the Sarah Palin of 2007 did.)

I invite you to watch the video of her answering the question on health care reform to Katie Couric and say that... ;-). She made Trump look eloquent!

Yes, TX does have nutjobs, but they also have Ann Richards Republicans who find Cruz slimy.

Cruz has, at various times, done shit to piss nearly everyone off. I'm sure there's a faction of Republicans who still remember his non-endorsement of Trump at the RNC convention. Others may be pissed he then turned around and kissed Donnie's ass after the election. The only way Castro can actually win this thing is if a third party candidate syphons 5 - 10% of Republicans who just won't vote for a Dem, IMO.

According to Morning Joe, apparently the biggest story this morning are Democrats "blowing up the party" over some Omaha mayoral candidate...

dramatis

The problem isn't really about the candidate, it's about Sanders's hypocrisy. Especially when he scoffed at calling Ossoff a progressive then turned around to stump for an anti-choice candidate.

royalan

Bernie's not going to stop attacking the party. That much is clear. He is not a unifyer and never will be. If you don't subscribe to Bernie's exact politics, or endorse him, you're a shill.

The DNC needs to stop giving him a platform to attack them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom