• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Parfait

Yeah I guess i ran away a bit much but speaking about Capcom makes me do that a lot.

The point I want to make was that while I agree totally with Inafune that doing better development for the west is a good move, the entire direction that they're going with it is absolutely nuts and is doing nothing any favors. This is why I think Dragon's Dogma isn't going to sell well. I keep seeing people compare it to Oblivion. A game which has some of the most terrible combat I've ever experienced but a pretty rich and nice story. So here comes DD, a game with some of the most fun looking combat I've ever experienced.... but hope looks dim for the story.

They need to develop to the west, hell yes. I just wish they went about it better than 'outsource this franchise to some developer maybe they'll do it good. Then lets cancel a game that might have had average sales, even though we're paying diddly compared to any Resident Evil game to make it, on a handheld.' Where on earth is their logic coming from?

Edit: I'm sorry but what on earth is all this talk about Megaman X having a fanbase? Trigger doesn't? My entire world of anger at capcom over this debackle isn't even just because MML3 hasn't come out, it's because there hasn't been a mainline Megaman game in YEARS. I barely count megaman.exe. It's popular i guess and if it makes them money that's fine. But I've never liked it and i probably never will. As a Megaman fan, I just want more Megaman. More X. More Zero. And to the same degree, more Trigger. .exe games are more like pokemon games plus a card game or something? I don't know how to word this. It's more Naruto than Cowboy Bebop?

Zen

Banned
I can't agree with this at all.

Even by the third game Dash sales had dropped badly. X continues to have a pretty dedicated fan base, and while it's true there was some burn out the lower sales towards the end is much more inline with how Capcom itself treated the character.

Rock on the other hand is bit harder to gauge, but it's likely he is still one of the more loved Rocks.

As it is X is probably the most popular Rock in the west, even to this day with .EXE being the most popular Rock worldwide.

.exe was also really popular for filling an RPG niche in the portfolio of a handheld, funny that eh? The X series 'dedicated fanbase' are the same ones that stuck on to X games until the series had worse sales than any Legends game.

Overall popularity is kind of meaningless though within the context of projecting the sales of Legends 3. When you're launching a game that hasn't had an entry in over a decade onto a new system, it's far too variable to just base future performance on past entries.

The thing is, the only incarnation of Rock that is a question mark right now in terms of viability is Legends/Dash. Everything else has been run into the ground, or had a recent revival that only managed to sustain itself for 1-2 games. The X revival failed, and the original Revival failed.

Comparing the perceived popularity of each Rockman incarnation, at this point, is like comparing the waist line of two bulimic models.

If we do get a new MegaMan game, and it isn't Legends 3, it would have to be a radically new take on an existing iteration or a completely new 'MegaMan'.

Beth Cyra

Overall popularity is kind of meaningless though within the context of projecting the sales of Legends 3. When you're launching a game that hasn't had an entry in over a decade onto a new system, it's far too variable to just base future performance on past entries.

The thing is, the only incarnation of Rock that is a question mark right now in terms of viability is Legends/Dash. Everything else has been run into the ground, or had a revival that only managed to sustain itself for 1-2 games. The X revival failed, and the original Revival failed.

Comparing the perceived popularity of each Rockman incarnation, at this point, is like comparing the waist line of two bulimic models.

If we do get a new MegaMan game, and it isn't Legends 3, it would have to be a radically new take on an existing iteration or a completely new 'MegaMan'.

Not really.

The Rock and X Revivial failure would very much be a symptom of the platform they launched on.

Capcom saw success with Rock 9 and apparently have seen success even with X in recent times.They have been marketing him in other ways and continue to bring out multiple products featuring him. Not to mention X will be used in Project X Zone, and could very well be used again in up coming projects.

It's certain though that Japan isn't all that intereted in X, but given X's main source of popularity is west, and it seems like even Capcom isn't so ready to believe that X's performance on PSP is something that will continue across other platforms. Over the last year X has been the dominat Rock as far as Capcom releases go. Granted this could all change but for now at least, they seem content focusing on X over all the others.

Also, wasn't there rumors a bit back about an X reboot? If they did reboot one of them, and not create a new one given the last few failures X seems like he would the one they would choose.

Zen

Banned
Not really.

The Rock and X Revivial failure would very much be a symptom of the platform they launched on.

I don't think so. You could have put it on any platform at the time, aside from the DS, and it wouldn't have done better.

Capcom saw success with Rock 9 and apparently have seen success even with X in recent times.They have been marketing him in other ways and continue to bring out multiple products featuring him. Not to mention X will be used in Project X Zone, and could very well be used again in up coming projects.

They saw success with Rock 9, but Rock 10 faltered sharply, showing that there wasn't a market for more traditional style milking and original Rockman in that form. They haven't had much success with X, which is why X8 was the last game in the series. .exe was also really popular for filling an RPG niche in the portfolio of a handheld, funny that eh? The X series 'dedicated fanbase' are the same ones that stuck on to X games until the series had worse sales than any Legends game.

It's certain though that Japan isn't all that intereted in X, but given X's main source of popularity is west, and it seems like even Capcom isn't so ready to believe that X's performance on PSP is something that will continue across other platforms. Over the last year X has been the dominate Rock as far as Capcom releases go. Granted this could all change but for now at least, they seem content focusing on X over all the others.

He's getting token inclusions and appearances, but that doesn't say much, beyond, as you say, that he's the one Capcom goes with due to his popularity in the west. I don't think that the points you've brought up have shown that the sum potential of a Legends 3 is functionally identical to when the series had 2 main entries on the PS1 over a decade ago.

Beth Cyra

I don't think so. You could have put it on any platform at the time, aside from the DS, and it wouldn't have done better.

They saw success with Rock 9, but Rock 10 faltered sharply, showing that there wasn't a market for more traditional style milking and original Rockman in that form. They haven't had much success with X, which is why X8 was the last game in the series.

He's getting token inclusions and appearances, but that doesn't say much.

Project X Zone as is no more Token then Dante/Ryu/Ken.

Beyond that it goes beyond games. It's all kinds of products featuring X. We really have no proof of MHX, but given shit like Birth By Sleep being a much more high profile game and brand tanked we just can't be sure.

They also have treated X like a read headed step child since X6. They complete destroyed almost all good will they had with fans of the character when they continued to sideline him.

Doesn't mean X will stay on top, but right now h is the one being pushed the hardest out of all the Rock's and givenhis popularity in west I would wager it would X who was the star of a reboot.

Regarless it doesn't matter, they are currently releasing X products and not Dash so they seem to believe that X can bring in more revenue.

Zen

Banned
I made some adjustments to my previous post you might have missed, sorry about that.

Project X Zone as is no more Token then Dante/Ryu/Ken.

From a literal standpoint, sure, but every character in that game can be classified as token appearances in a low profile SRPG crossover games. The fact that they include X or any incarnation of MegaMan just shows that they aren't content to throw the whole IP under the bus. The X stands for 'cross' (over).

Beyond that it goes beyond games. It's all kinds of products featuring X. We really have no proof of MHX, but given shit like Birth By Sleep being a much more high profile game and brand tanked we just can't be sure.

The thing is, and this ties into your second paragraph and my response therein. It's the fact that they didn't tread Persona 3 'like a red headed step child' that allowed it to be relevant.

They also have treated X like a read headed step child since X6. They complete destroyed almost all good will they had with fans of the character when they continued to sideline him.

Sales continued to decline, and had been for some time even when they weren't giving obviously lower tier efforts.

Doesn't mean X will stay on top, but right now h is the one being pushed the hardest out of all the Rock's and given his popularity in west I would wager it would X who was the star of a reboot.

Again, popularity is relative, it's a more a case of they don't want to let the brand go and X happens to be the slightest of more popular ones in what they feel is the most important market, than some giant gap between the viability of any incarnation, given effort.

Regarless it doesn't matter, they are currently releasing X products and not Dash so they seem to believe that X can bring in more revenue.

That doesn't mean there will suddenly be a new X game, or that a new X game is or isn't more viable than making a new Rockman, or going back to a different incarnation. X happens to have the most fumes.

I'm a bad friend, but I posted the link for their FB page on my wall and broadcast it out. I wanna help make this thing happen and make the 100k strong thing actually happen before May.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
101,713 likes

TC43z.png

XenoRaven

AND there should be a visible scar over her eye that the eyepatch doesn't fully cover. AND she should have blood on her face. AND her iris color should be red. AND sometimes she takes the eyepatch off and that iris is silver and she can shoot lasers from it.

Boney

Banned
AND there should be a visible scar over her eye that the eyepatch doesn't fully cover. AND she should have blood on her face. AND her iris color should be red. AND sometimes she takes the eyepatch off and that iris is silver and she can shoot lasers from it.

you're the worst pyro ever so go away too

I'm going to play Mega Man Legends tomorrow and see why this game got so much commotion.
The original, the sequel, or Tron Bonne? If you're going to play the original, prepare to enjoy a real treat, with world-building and atmosphere well-beyond its bretheren at the time of release. Still fun today.

Kokonoe

Banned
The original, the sequel, or Tron Bonne? If you're going to play the original, prepare to enjoy a real treat, with world-building and atmosphere well-beyond its bretheren at the time of release. Still fun today.
The original. I like to start with the first entry of the series when I get into one. I like the X and Classic series, and i'm not too fond of Battle Network. I avoided playing this game for a while, but I guess it's time to tackle the last Mega Man series I haven't gotten into yet.
Play it on an emulator with a 360 controller its honestly the best way to play it now.
I can use my wireless 360 newdpadbrokendpadthatiswappedwithanormaldpad controller, but why the 360 one? Also, good thing Playstation emulators let me play directly from the disc.

wwm0nkey

The original. I like to start with the first entry of the series when I get into one. I like the X and Classic series, and i'm not too fond of Battle Network. I avoided playing this game for a while, but I guess it's time to tackle the last Mega Man series I haven't gotten into yet.

I can use my wireless 360 newdpadbrokendpadthatiswappedwithanormaldpad controller, but why the 360 one? Also, good thing Playstation emulators let me play directly from the disc.

I dont know I just personally like playing it with a 360 controller to be honest XD

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well at least we still have the Street Fighter X Tekken joke, the Marvel v Capcom Costume DLC, the never to be seen in america Korean MMO Mega Man Online, and the currently ongoing Archie Mega Man Comics. So see, Capcom hasn't completely abandoned us since MM10 was released 2 years ago...

I still think its wierd the franchise was good enough to release one or two full Mega Man labeled games a year and then all of a sudden became not even popular enough to release any games or to even be put into Marvel v Capcom properly.

Zen

Banned
- People mock paid advertising as 'desperate'
- It results in being a resounding and ongoing success for bringing people in that didn't know about the movement previously.

Legends_3.jpg

Also the capcom group has broken 20 000 and is within the realm of exceeding both Lost Planet and Monster Hunter on Capcom's site.
They probably won't even acknowledge it.

They've already said that they will be making a statement.

Riposte

- People mock paid advertising as 'desperate'
- It results in being a resounding and ongoing success for bringing people in that didn't know about the movement previously.

http://s17.postimage.org/kwgsga75b/Legends_3.jpg[img]

Also the capcom group has broken 20 000 and is within the realm of exceeding both Lost Planet and Monster Hunter on Capcom's site.

They've already said that they will be making a statement.[/QUOTE]

Are we really going to call this a "movement"?

Douchechills...

Zen

Banned
Are we really going to call this a "movement"?

Douchechills...

Keep fighting the good fight. Why address anything when you can deflect and troll inconsequential details.

Have fun with that.

EDIT: Good god you are an expert troll.

Zen

Banned
Sven, on Capcoms forums, said that they wouldn't ignore it when/if it happens. I also heard from one of the heads of the group that Capcom has said elsewhere they would be commenting. I was out of the loop on this whole thing for a while.

The Legends games (and Tron), are some of my favorites from back in the day.

Played the shit out of them recently on my PSP and had such an amazingly good time.

Awesome that 100,000 was hit!

Sven, on Capcoms forums, said that they wouldn't ignore it when/if it happens. I also heard from one of the heads of the group that Capcom has said elsewhere they would be commenting. I was out of the loop on this whole thing for a while.
Holy crap what? This is kind of important, I'm surprised this isn't getting mentioned more. Honestly, I'm shocked that they went as far to promise a statement if it reached the goal. Sure it may not be anything more than "Capcpom appreciates it's fans, nothing to announce, blah blah", but it's interesting never the less. Are there any sources you could provide, I'd like to see these statements myself.
Is 100,000+ likes supposed to be impressive? I'm not sure what these people are hoping to accomplish.
It's not the CoD numbers, but it's certainly more interest than the gargantuan money drains that Asura and Lost Planet 3 will ever generate. It's a shame that these bombs can get approved for these budgets and full production, when a game that can generate a hundred thousand+ votes of interest (eleven years after their last game!) doesn't even get the decency of seeing their original games get as much as a digital re-release.

Anyway, dream scenario here is that the demo gets released on 3DS. I know Capcom probably doesn't want the image of releasing a demo to something that is a Megaman game starring
A) Not Megaman
B) A piece of a game that may not be released
C) An public reversal on a business decision.

But hey, it can't be worse than the catastrophe the initial cancellation has wrought. At this point Capcom really needs to do something to unsour their ties with fans. From Capcom x Tekken, mispellings, DLC abuse and more, their image is deteriorating fast.

Zen

Banned
Makato Tomozawa, the composer of Mega Man Legends and one of the more vocal external advocates, will be doing an interview with Getmeoffthemoon and it should be up relatively soon (as suggestions cutoff is tomorrow).

Also: Under 1000 away from surpassing Lost Planet.

Nearing 106k, it's pretty clear that what the group had been lacking after the initial buzz died down was awareness. Since the advertising has been a tremendous ongoing success. Had there been advertising from the start, things would have happened much faster.

Top Bottom