• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo downgrades Wii U production because FIRE [Nintendo says NO]

Kazerei

Banned
7.3MM is okay right? Nintendo only shipped 5.8MM Wii systems during its first fiscal year, which was way too little, but basically the Wii U situation shouldn't be as bad.

qq more

What I know is what everyone does so far. A non multitouch expensive tablet for a console with 2007 tech whose lineup consists mostly of ports.

I don't exactly see it as a viable contender or a viable system. I think it should sell on the Nintendo name alone but I don't see Wii levels, maybe a little bit above N64-GCN levels of sales.

I seriously cannot imagine a mainstream console in this day and age selling 20 million units, especially when the gaming market has grown so much since then. Don't be ridiculous.

But I totally see where you're coming from with it not selling on Wii levels. But at the same time... the market is sometimes unpredictable, so we'll see what will happen with the Wii U 5 years from now.

I seriously cannot imagine a mainstream console in this day and age selling 20 million units, especially when the gaming market has grown so much since then.

A large gaming market doesn't mean millions will buy every system, look at the Vita.

I don't know how the Wii U will do but I can see the arguments that it won't grab people like the Wii did.

Antioch

So 720/PS4 are doomed ?

What? Don't be silly. The 720/PS4 will descend straight from heaven to save gaming. They will be beastly machines capable of pushing graphics superior to Avatar and will be truly made for the hardest of the hardcore, MS and Sony will devote 110% of their resources to this cause, none of that waggle shit. And of course these deities will be completely affordable too.

Dabanton

Will any next gen console hit Wii numbers?

There are a ton of people ready for a new Console. New Hardware is so far past due.

The Wii U also has mass market appeal IMO with the Tablet controller allowing Parents to play/watch TV while their children use the tablet to play/watch a movie. Add the social aspects like Miiverse, TVii, and the Nintendo name and it will be fine.

Why does this read like an actual advert?

Dabanton

A large gaming market doesn't mean millions will buy every system, look at the Vita.

I don't know how the Wii U will do but I can see the arguments that it won't grab people like the Wii did.

I don't think the Wii U will have the reach that the Wii enjoyed. There is just nothing at launch that would bring in that audience imo. I think people forget just how much of a phenomenon Wii Sports was.

The console will still sell well enough though.

Viral marketing, maybe.

Viral marketing is a lot more subtle than that. :p

STOP ASKING THAT.

wait... ar... nevermind

I just find a bit strange NeoGAF has changed so much that a thread like this cannot have serious discussions.

The Fire thing was because of this crazy China vs Japan thing and maybe finally some real production numbers here and the thread turns into more of the same Game Company wars, so excuse my repeated question :)

drspeedy

7.3 m in just 4th calender q 2012?

that'd be unheard of for a launch console

No kidding, that is just an amazing number... Or is it hubris? I know preorders sold out and all, but is there a long tail for the Wiiu? What if months 6-12 are less than Q4 this year... Only time will tell, as they say.

The duct tape machine working overtime, hehehehe derp derp.

Heh heh heh

zChSy.jpg

The PlayStation 4 ecosystem and online infrastructure will be revolutionary.

So no

I think your Sony line is hilarious. Not because I think it's impossible, rather it's a big fat assumption being made.

I predict the WiiU will be a hit this Christmas, but trail heavily after the buzz wears off and people see the price as a little high and NSMB fatigue sets.

Antioch

I think your Sony line is hilarious. Not because I think it's impossible, rather it's a big fat assumption being made.

I predict the WiiU will be a hit this Christmas, but trail heavily after the buzz wears off and people see the price as a little high and NSMB fatigue sets.

Wii Fit U is releasing in the first quarter of next year so that should guarantee some momentum for at least a few more months. Besides I'm not so sure the NSMB games are very fatigue prone, they tend to have longer legs than almost any other games in the industry.

TheExodu5

Banned
Does this mean they're launching with 7.3 million systems? I can't see the Wii U being supply constrained if that's the case.

Yes if you define launch period as loosely as they do. It's around 5 months worth of shipping.

I have a theory that the Wii was supposed to sell 3.2 million with wii u selling 7.3 million as that might still be faster than what the wii sold when it was released in its first five months. Using the fire as an excuse, they can downgrade the wii forecast to 2.2 million and still keep 7.3 million for Wii U, which should sell out and make it look like the wii will be supply constrained to create a self fulifilling prophecy and also make the wii forecast seem more realistic as it wont even reach its 2.2 million target, making it look like it was 2.2 million all along will look good in the end especially since it will probably just sell shy of 2 million units for the period ending march 2013.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a theory that the Wii was supposed to sell 3.2 million with wii u selling 7.3 million as that would still be faster than what the wii sold when it was released. Using the fire as an excuse they can downgrade the wii forecast to 2.2 million and still keep 7.3 million for Wii U which should sell out and make it look like the wii will be supply constrained to create a self fulifilling prophecy and also make the wii forecast seem more realistic as it wont even reach its 2.2 million target so making it look like it was 2.2 million all along will look good in the end especially since it will probably just sell shy of 2 million units for the period ending march 2013.

LOL. Well done.

I love how it is in the form of an incredibly long run-on sentence as well. Kudos.

Pharros

I didn't get to see the source, but first and foremost I hope no one was injured in this fire. Even in a factory it can be quite serious.

Secondly it seems they have quite the solid amount to ship as is, so I don't think we will be seeing a shortage comparable to that of the Wii that's for sure.

Saroyan

So, reading that CVG article it wasn't even Nintendo that downgraded production by 1M, it was Pachter's Australian cousin, (aka an investment analyst).

Top Bottom