• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler leaves G4/X-Play

BadData

Never understood why people rate him. He just seems to be on some pedestal because he worked at a television network. Whenever he's said something controversial or provocative I've disagreed with him.

Seems like someone who has high standards for himself, which differentiates him from a lot of game journalists.

Didn't know Sessler was so well liked. He was and is a terrible critic and profoundly embarrassing writer. I find many of his reviews cringe-worthy. I guess I'd give him more credit than a typical games "journalist" but that isn't saying much.

Sad but true.

We like him because he is older than us, has been on television and been talking about games since the TechTV days.

Seems like an upstanding guy but does little to even move the needle of change either in the game journalism or game development. His hair is crazy looking though.

Oh well, I am able to get all my gaming information faster on the internet. Plus Xplays "jokes" were TERRIBLE. Sess will have a bright future ahead of him.

Lime

Hmm... I really don't see the problem with this video. I actually completly agree with what he's saying. Considering that the vast majority of people who whine and sign petitions about games ends up buying the game on day 1 anyway, his point it totally valid.

I do not intend to participate in this thread more than I want to, but the fact that he uses "entitlement" in that particular video automatically render his position and argument fallacious. Moreover, he comes across as very juvenile in how he conveys the points he is trying to make.

I'm glad to see him leave. Now if only they would only get rid of all the other sarcastic cry babies like Sessler, I'll be a happy camper.

Other people actually watched Cinematech? I thought I was the only one.

I never knew how interesting it was to watch trailers and gameplay footage from random games.

Same here, such an interesting show.

This is good news for me. I'm happy Sessler is off the leash and I wish the guy well.

Parch

Perhaps the network thought Sessler was getting too old for a videogame show? Lose your hair, lose your job. I kinda saw this coming when Biair Herter got on XPlay full time. Problem is Blair sucks and isn't near as funny as he thinks he is.

RPGCrazied

Lame. I guess this episode of X-PLAY was prerecorded. No farewell from Adam. He has being doing this for over 10 years, he has fans, I hope he has the chance to say bye and all that.

Luigi87

Perhaps the network thought Sessler was getting too old for a videogame show? Lose your hair, lose your job. I kinda saw this coming when Biair Herter got on XPlay full time. Problem is Blair sucks and isn't near as funny as he thinks he is.

I tuned into an ep last week, and was surprised to see Webb and Herter standing in the "main area", while Sessler was off to the side, and did that what's coming up part.

Fjordson

Wow, that's pretty big. I love Adam, definitely interested in seeing what he does next.

Also hope this doesn't mean Morgan Webb will disappear.

KlepicktheDestroyer.jpg

Who wouldn't go to Giant Bomb honestly. Best option imo.

He doesn't really seem like a good fit there. His best work for G4 comes when he's actually be serious (the Soapbox series). That's pretty much the opposite of Gaint Bomb, which seems to just be filled with jokesters.

MrPliskin

Banned
Man...reviews written almost exclusively by Morgan Webb? Sad day for G4.

Best wishes to Adam, I always felt he was a wasted talent at G4, and could do much better for the industry somewhere else.

MrPliskin

Banned
People liked Sessler? News to me.

He could be smarmy at times, and a bit pretentious, but any panel I've ever seen him host was excellent. I felt like he was held back by what he was doing at G4, and had tons more potential do to more (and not have to play the angle he did on G4).

Drager

Banned
I remember the very first year G4 TV was on the air, back when every show just about video games. Back in ...2002? How has it been going for 10 years now?

X-Play started out as GamespotTV on ZDTV a network about computers and technology in 1998. In 2000, the show become Extended Play when the network re-branded as TechTV. Then in 2004, TechTV was purchased by Comcast and merged (more like murdered) with G4. Extended Play dropped a bunch of extra letters and become X-Play and Adam has been on every iteration of the show since 1998.

So you think shaving his head and growing a chin-beard all of a sudden in January was done out of protest?

Top Bottom