• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Azure J

I kinda wanna start playing with SplatGAF but my competitive Splat days are long loooong over and I feel I probably wouldn't compete with all y'all. I'm extremely out of practice, specially since I split my time with Overwatch and Splatoon 2. Don't wanna drag you guys down lol.

I'll never hit this game's equivalent of S+99 like I did last game 😪

Haha, you'll be fine! Besides, I still need to slide into those DMs with Splash Walls on Port Mackerel again! :p

That Supernova tournament was so much fun lol

It's been a month since the game launched. Feels longer than a month tbh.

Agreed.

#Whens
Blackbelly
NewStages though?

Salmonid Field Guide:

8zgPQ74.png

Illustrations are really nice.

ChrisD

This is an actual question, fueled by salt, but a very real question is love an answer to:

What the ever living * do you do to win on Moray Freaking Towers Tower Control?!

What weapon should I be using? What position am I missing? Why is everybody always dead, and where do I go when I'm the only one alive? Should I be pushing hard? Do you need to pick off first? I haven't won in this freaking map/mode in three weeks. It's driving me insanse.

I've tried Tri Slosher, I've tried Rapid Blaster, I've tried both Splattershots, we always get pushed back and then the solo queue trickle happens as we slowly move in and die one at a time.

I legitimately don't know what I'm doing wrong, what I'm supposed to be doing.

I just want one win in the combo. One win.

This is an actual question, fueled by salt, but a very real question is love an answer to:

What the ever living * do you do to win on Moray Freaking Towers Tower Control?!

What weapon should I be using? What position am I missing? Why is everybody always dead, and where do I go when I'm the only one alive? Should I be pushing hard? Do you need to pick off first? I haven't won in this freaking map/mode in three weeks. It's driving me insanse.

I've tried Tri Slosher, I've tried Rapid Blaster, I've tried both Splattershots, we always get pushed back and then the solo queue trickle happens as we slowly move in and die one at a time.

Splattershot pro has been my weapon of choice for that mode. I play kind of like a fullback or free safety depending on how the game is going.

Cyanity

Banned

It helps to have a charger camping on the ledge overlooking the center for teammates to jump to. Using the rails tends to be helpful as well.

ChrisD

Splattershot pro has been my weapon of choice for that mode. I play kind of like a fullback or free safety depending on how the game is going.

Oh yeah, add that to things I've tried in the past. I'll give it another shot later, can't hurt more than MT TC already does.

I just got carried to victory from a Luna Blaster who (for once on this map) knew what they were doing. The rest I've seen were just as good as me on that weapon: bad. I can't say I won, really, but I am going to stop playing Ranked for now there. It's still the first win I've seen on the combo in three weeks (I wasn't exaggerating with that number...).

I would still greatly appreciate any advice in general for the combo. Am I supposed to hang back a bit, rush in? Hold the wall, hold the old perch? I have no idea where to be anymore.

I'm feeling pretty nice with this, at least.

First wipe in this game that I actually got close enough for the 4-player screenshot!

Jintor

moray's biggest trick is that it's a fucking trek to get back to the fight. use and abuse superjump, have a long ranger covering the mid field, and for gods sakes at least wait for someone else to respawn so you have a distraction as you charge in.

watershed

Banned

IMO any team needs at least 1 good range weapon for Tower Control in Moray Towers, more so than in other stages. But most people don't seem to go for long ranged weapons. Still, the tri-slosher can have a huge impact in Tower Control for just about any stage. If you're gonna slosh, be aggressive. Also, try to move as a group unless you are super skilled and can hold position while your teammates catch up.

MGrant

A lot of people are still figuring that mode out, even at the high ranks. I've got a few different positions I like to play:

1. Point-Kid: Equip a good short-medium range weapon like the Tri-Slosher, Rapid Blaster, or N-Zap, wait for at least 2 other guys on your team to push up to the tower with you, and take the tower. Hopefully one of your teammates will push ahead to ink and flank, while the other will hang back to protect flanks and kill from a distance. While you're on the point, make sure no one gets under you or slips past to attack your defender.

2. Defender: Equip a good medium-long range weapon like a Jet Squelcher, Nozzlenose, Splattershot Pro,.96 Gal, or maybe a Squiffer and stay next to or slightly behind your tower as it moves. Kill anything that comes into range, watch and paint the unprotected flanks. Also, on Moray, look up for any attacks coming from above.

3. Pressure-Bastard: Equip a good splatting weapon with a push-focused special like a Tentatek Splattershot, Octobrush, Enperry Dualies, Dapple Dualies, or maybe a Splat-Brella and push up past your tower into your enemy's face. Ink their territory, go for flanks if their defenders get tunnel-vision, out-play their close-range fighters. Basically make the path ahead as easy as possible for your Point-Kid. Use rails, use the side paths, and use the ramps to get a height and positioning advantage on your opponents and move around quickly.

I haven't seen many people have any success with rollers, splatlings, or chargers in this mode.

Memles

How's the Salmon Run weapons today

Not too bad: Slosher/Inkbrush combo means that the others will typically need to run point in certain contexts, but I found it pretty balanced going through with some friends. Ran into some problems, but nothing that felt like the loadout's fault.

Jims

You know you're in for one of those Salmon Runs when an ally immediately misses the first jump and plunges into the high-tide water...

That jump does make me kind of nervous, though. I always half-turn back just to make sure I land it on the grate.

How's the Salmon Run weapons today

They're decent. Slosher and .52 Gal have pretty good synergy together, good damage output, Octobrush cleans the herd pretty well, and the Jet Squelcher is the Jet Squelcher. Not a super great comp for running up the score, though.

Doorman

Since MGrant's been taking the whole weapon analysis angle and been running with it, and also inspired by debating with Magnet Man about some of the Clash's criticisms, I decided to follow up a bit with my own discussion from earlier and dig a little deeper into some raw numbers for what I'll call...Blaster Math. There're several angles to hit this from so I'll try and keep things organized here...

Blaster ink efficiency
All of the blasters in the game right now consume ink at different rates, which is pretty typical of every weapon class, but since each blaster shot happens individually, it's much easier to count bullets for these than something like, say, the Aerospray. Lucky me. These are all measured by starting with a completely full tank and holding fire until your ink runs dry.

Blaster: 10 shots per tank
Luna: 11 shots per tank
Rapid: 14 shots per tank
Clash: 20 shots per tank

Sensible enough overall that the faster firing weapons get more shots, though the Luna being more efficient than the regular blaster does surprise me a little. The other weapons aren't out yet but given these trends I'd assume that the Range Blaster will have the worst efficiency in the class, while Rapid Pro would fit somewhere around the normal blaster/luna kind of range.
Just for fun, I also tested out how many shots you get from each blaster immediately after throwing out your subweapon:

Blaster: 3 shots after Mist/Autobomb
Luna: 3 shots after Splat Bomb
Rapid: 6 shots after placing 1 mine (you can't immediately place two mines without gaining some ink back first, so I assume you'd have 0 shots after placing the second as fast as you could)
Clash: 6 shots after Splat Bomb

Again not too surprising. Mines are individually less ink-hungry than the other blasters' respective sub-weapons, meanwhile the trend seems to be that the Clash accounts for half of a normal Blaster shot, which makes sense given the firing rate and comparatively-weak ink pattern that I've brought up before. But of course, all this shooting ink around has to have a purpose, right? Like, say...the blaster class' primary purpose?

Ink consumption for offense

Ah yes, the part where we kill people. Or "splat squids." Family friendly and all.
I think the general power of each blaster is pretty well known already but I'll rehash this a little bit first in order to tie it back around with each weapon's general efficiency:

Blaster: Does 50-70 points of damage per indirect hit, depending on proximity to the center of the explosion. Direct hits do 125 damage. So you can kill with 2 indirects or 1 direct.
Luna: Literally the same attack power stats as the Blaster, with the same power-curve for indirect hits. Worth noting that the Luna's burst-size is a little larger though.
Rapid: A flat 35 damage per splash hit, but with no scaling for proximity at all. 85 damage per direct hit. So you can kill with 3 indirects, 2 directs, or one of each.
Clash: A flat 30 damage per splash and no scaling, much like the Rapid Blaster. Direct attacks deal 60. This means you can kill with 4 indirects, 2 indirects and one direct, or two directs.

So two of the four have OHKO potential, the others require at least two. With this in mind, we can see how much ink it would take for each weapon to dispatch another player relative to their entire ink tank:

Blaster: 1/10 shots for a direct KO, 10% of ink tank. 2/10 for 2-shot burst, 20% of ink tank.
Luna: 1/11 shots for a direct KO, ~9% of ink tank. 2/11 shots for 2-shot burst, ~18% of ink tank.
Rapid: 2/14 directs for a KO, 14% of ink tank, 3/14 for a splash damage KO, ~21.4% of ink tank.
Clash: 2/20 directs for a KO, 10% of ink tank, 4/20 shots of splash damage, 20% of ink tank, 3/10 shots for one direct and two splash, 15% of ink tank

This technically makes the Luna Blaster the most ink-efficient killer among the Blaster family, albeit not by much. Blaster and Clash are tied, but with the caveat of the Clash potentially saving an extra bit if it manages to get a hybrid-shot KO instead of solely splash damage. The Rapid Blaster brings up the rear, and will probably retain that crown of least efficient until the Rapid Pro comes out. Now, since we're already on the topic of killing, let's shift away from ink usage and pivot over to the other big resource cost on the game:

Time consumption for offense

Since each of the blasters has different ranges and attack powers, the time-to-kill for each is naturally different too. I decided to take some measurements for ttk using the smallest number of shots (all-direct) from the absolute furthest tip of their range, as well as how long it takes using only splash damage. It's worth noting that this is a bit unscientific since I just used my phone's stopwatch for recording times, but ran each one through the test several times to average together an approximated ttk, and for the purposes of comparing these weapons specifically it should still prove the point just fine.

Blaster: .5 seconds for direct OHKO; 1.35 seconds for 2-hit splash KO
Luna: ~.4 seconds for direct OHKO? (I had a lot of trouble getting consistent times for this in particular, but unsurprisingly it's the fastest at any rate); 1.15 seconds for 2-hit splash KO
Rapid: 1.05 seconds for direct 2HKO; 1.65 for 3-shot splash KO
Clash: .80 seconds for direct 2HKO; 1.52 seconds for 4-hit splash KO

No major surprises here: the harder-hitting weapons with shorter range (and less time between shots as a result) happen to kill faster. At the very least it shows that the Clash Blaster decently holds its own despite being the lowest attack power among the class, and it's worth taking into account that it can also get 3-hit KOs too, which would also keep its ttk more in-line with the regular blaster.

Inking for mobility

Okay this is the last thing I wanted to look into for these tests, and that's the ability for each blaster to cover space and move quickly. Remember that I wouldn't advise using any of these to try and push solo into enemy territory quickly, but this can at least give people a bit of an idea in case you need to form an escape route, or just to have a look at how "fast" each one is when you take their trail-length and shot time into account.
I recorded for this test in the test range, seeing how long it takes each weapon to go from the starting location to crossing the furthest test dummy, so 8 lines-worth of distance. Starting the timer from the moment I press ZR for the first shot, I swam forward to the edge of the shot's trail before firing the next shot and repeating that until crossing the line. As with before, I took down numbers for several runs with each weapon to try and get a more accurate average.
For the Clash Blaster, since I already pointed out its weird deficiency in inking in my first blaster comparison, I decided to fire two shots before swimming forward, since that at least creates enough of a lane to swim through unbroken where one shot would not. Does having to fire twice as many rounds to forge a path hurt it that badly?

Blaster: 3 shots to clear (30% of ink tank), ~4.79 seconds
Luna: 4 shots to clear (36% of ink tank), ~5.40 seconds
Rapid: 2 shots to clear (14% of ink tank), ~4.21 seconds
Clash: 6 shots to clear (30% of ink tank), ~4.83 seconds

If the test I used ran a little shorter, 7 lines let's say, then the Luna would have performed much better, but the need to fire an additional round hurt it a lot. Otherwise, things line up more or less how you might expect after seeing everything else up to this point. Rapid forms the longest line and thus allows for the most unbroken swimming. The bigger surprise might be the fact that even going two shots per swim, Clash once again winds up remarkably close to the normal Blaster.

So, after plowing through all of these numbers, what can be taken away from all of this? Luna Blaster is the best pure killer-blaster in the game, but requires the most risk to get in, though that's also mitigated by the larger blast radius putting it only just slightly behind the effective range of the Clash and Just Blaster. The Rapid, meanwhile, is obviously the safest of the group and the most ink-efficient when it comes to just firing shots and covering turf to move through, but that comes at the cost of its time-to-kill.
The Clash, for the most part, winds up being pretty comparable to the normal blaster in many respects, although for the way the game as a whole is played right now that may not be great news for it. Its inking and efficiency is on par with its contemporaries, and seems to function as kind of an alternative to the normal blaster, wherein you trade straight power and the 1-hit KO and in return gain a little more versatility and reaction ability. The faster fire rate basically means you don't have to commit to every single shot in the same way the normal blaster does, meaning you don't have to remain exposed for as long before and after every shot and letting you more easily break off from an encounter if it's not going your way. Whether or not you think that's worth the small hit to TTK mostly comes down, I think, to a matter of preference.

...Either one is kind of pointless to use over a Tentatek though. God damn it Tentatek. Thanks for reading!

A lot of people are still figuring that mode out, even at the high ranks. I've got a few different positions I like to play:

1. Point-Kid: Equip a good short-medium range weapon like the Tri-Slosher, Rapid Blaster, or N-Zap, wait for at least 2 other guys on your team to push up to the tower with you, and take the tower. Hopefully one of your teammates will push ahead to ink and flank, while the other will hang back to protect flanks and kill from a distance.

2. Defender: Equip a good medium-long range weapon like a Jet Squelcher, Nozzlenose, Splattershot Pro, or maybe a Squiffer and stay next to or slightly behind your tower as it moves. Kill anything that comes into range, watch and paint the unprotected flanks.

3. Pressure-Bastard: Equip a good splatting weapon with a push-focused special like a Tentatek Splattershot, Octobrush, Enperry Dualies, Dapple Dualies, or maybe a Splat-Brella and push up past your tower into your enemy's face. Ink their territory, go for flanks if their defenders get tunnel-vision, out-play their close-range fighters. Basically make the path ahead as easy as possible for your Point-Kid. Use rails, use the side paths, and use the ramps to get a height and positioning advantage on your opponents and move around quickly.

I haven't seen many people have any success with rollers, splatlings, or chargers in this mode.

Honestly this is how TC in general should be played. 2 people control the tower, 1 trails the tower observing enemy positions while covering flanks, and 1 pushes forward attempting to lock the enemy down. But as we all know, with randoms anything can happen.

Not too sure about other rollers, but the Dynamo Roller specifically in TC is pretty damn good in my experience.

Ogodei

More confirmed rank-skipping at the high end, just got bumped from B+ to A in Tower Control, making it my foremost mode (A Tower Control, A- Rainmaker, B+ Splat Zones)

Though i got within a sliver of getting out of B+ in Splat Zones before the maps changed.

MGrant

Since MGrant's been taking the whole weapon analysis angle and been running with it, and also inspired by debating with Magnet Man about some of the Clash's criticisms, I decided to follow up a bit with my own discussion from earlier and dig a little deeper into some raw numbers for what I'll call...Blaster Math. There're several angles to hit this from so I'll try and keep things organized here...

Blaster ink efficiency
All of the blasters in the game right now consume ink at different rates, which is pretty typical of every weapon class, but since each blaster shot happens individually, it's much easier to count bullets for these than something like, say, the Aerospray. Lucky me. These are all measured by starting with a completely full tank and holding fire until your ink runs dry.

Blaster: 10 shots per tank
Luna: 11 shots per tank
Rapid: 14 shots per tank
Clash: 20 shots per tank

Sensible enough overall that the faster firing weapons get more shots, though the Luna being more efficient than the regular blaster does surprise me a little. The other weapons aren't out yet but given these trends I'd assume that the Range Blaster will have the worst efficiency in the class, while Rapid Pro would fit somewhere around the normal blaster/luna kind of range.
Just for fun, I also tested out how many shots you get from each blaster immediately after throwing out your subweapon:

Blaster: 3 shots after Mist/Autobomb
Luna: 3 shots after Splat Bomb
Rapid: 6 shots after placing 1 mine (you can't immediately place two mines without gaining some ink back first, so I assume you'd have 0 shots after placing the second as fast as you could)
Clash: 6 shots after Splat Bomb

Again not too surprising. Mines are individually less ink-hungry than the other blasters' respective sub-weapons, meanwhile the trend seems to be that the Clash accounts for half of a normal Blaster shot, which makes sense given the firing rate and comparatively-weak ink pattern that I've brought up before. But of course, all this shooting ink around has to have a purpose, right? Like, say...the blaster class' primary purpose?

Ink consumption for offense

Ah yes, the part where we kill people. Or "splat squids." Family friendly and all.
I think the general power of each blaster is pretty well known already but I'll rehash this a little bit first in order to tie it back around with each weapon's general efficiency:

Blaster: Does 50-70 points of damage per indirect hit, depending on proximity to the center of the explosion. Direct hits do 125 damage. So you can kill with 2 indirects or 1 direct.
Luna: Literally the same attack power stats as the Blaster, with the same power-curve for indirect hits. Worth noting that the Luna's burst-size is a little larger though.
Rapid: A flat 35 damage per splash hit, but with no scaling for proximity at all. 85 damage per direct hit. So you can kill with 3 indirects, 2 directs, or one of each.
Clash: A flat 30 damage per splash and no scaling, much like the Rapid Blaster. Direct attacks deal 60. This means you can kill with 4 indirects, 2 indirects and one direct, or two directs.

So two of the four have OHKO potential, the others require at least two. With this in mind, we can see how much ink it would take for each weapon to dispatch another player relative to their entire ink tank:

Blaster: 1/10 shots for a direct KO, 10% of ink tank. 2/10 for 2-shot burst, 20% of ink tank.
Luna: 1/11 shots for a direct KO, ~9% of ink tank. 2/11 shots for 2-shot burst, ~18% of ink tank.
Rapid: 2/14 directs for a KO, 14% of ink tank, 3/14 for a splash damage KO, ~21.4% of ink tank.
Clash: 2/20 directs for a KO, 10% of ink tank, 4/20 shots of splash damage, 20% of ink tank, 3/10 shots for one direct and two splash, 15% of ink tank

This technically makes the Luna Blaster the most ink-efficient killer among the Blaster family, albeit not by much. Blaster and Clash are tied, but with the caveat of the Clash potentially saving an extra bit if it manages to get a hybrid-shot KO instead of solely splash damage. The Rapid Blaster brings up the rear, and will probably retain that crown of least efficient until the Rapid Pro comes out. Now, since we're already on the topic of killing, let's shift away from ink usage and pivot over to the other big resource cost on the game:

Time consumption for offense

Since each of the blasters has different ranges and attack powers, the time-to-kill for each is naturally different too. I decided to take some measurements for ttk using the smallest number of shots (all-direct) from the absolute furthest tip of their range, as well as how long it takes using only splash damage. It's worth noting that this is a bit unscientific since I just used my phone's stopwatch for recording times, but ran each one through the test several times to average together an approximated ttk, and for the purposes of comparing these weapons specifically it should still prove the point just fine.

Blaster: .5 seconds for direct OHKO; 1.35 seconds for 2-hit splash KO
Luna: ~.4 seconds for direct OHKO? (I had a lot of trouble getting consistent times for this in particular, but unsurprisingly it's the fastest at any rate); 1.15 seconds for 2-hit splash KO
Rapid: 1.05 seconds for direct 2HKO; 1.65 for 3-shot splash KO
Clash: .80 seconds for direct 2HKO; 1.52 seconds for 4-hit splash KO

No major surprises here: the harder-hitting weapons with shorter range (and less time between shots as a result) happen to kill faster. At the very least it shows that the Clash Blaster decently holds its own despite being the lowest attack power among the class, and it's worth taking into account that it can also get 3-hit KOs too, which would also keep its ttk more in-line with the regular blaster.

Inking for mobility

Okay this is the last thing I wanted to look into for these tests, and that's the ability for each blaster to cover space and move quickly. Remember that I wouldn't advise using any of these to try and push solo into enemy territory quickly, but this can at least give people a bit of an idea in case you need to form an escape route, or just to have a look at how "fast" each one is when you take their trail-length and shot time into account.
I recorded for this test in the test range, seeing how long it takes each weapon to go from the starting location to crossing the furthest test dummy, so 8 lines-worth of distance. Starting the timer from the moment I press ZR for the first shot, I swam forward to the edge of the shot's trail before firing the next shot and repeating that until crossing the line. As with before, I took down numbers for several runs with each weapon to try and get a more accurate average.
For the Clash Blaster, since I already pointed out its weird deficiency in inking in my first blaster comparison, I decided to fire two shots before swimming forward, since that at least creates enough of a lane to swim through unbroken where one shot would not. Does having to fire twice as many rounds to forge a path hurt it that badly?

Blaster: 3 shots to clear (30% of ink tank), ~4.79 seconds
Luna: 4 shots to clear (36% of ink tank), ~5.40 seconds
Rapid: 2 shots to clear (14% of ink tank), ~4.21 seconds
Clash: 6 shots to clear (30% of ink tank), ~4.83 seconds

If the test I used ran a little shorter, 7 lines let's say, then the Luna would have performed much better, but the need to fire an additional round hurt it a lot. Otherwise, things line up more or less how you might expect after seeing everything else up to this point. Rapid forms the longest line and thus allows for the most unbroken swimming. The bigger surprise might be the fact that even going two shots per swim, Clash once again winds up remarkably close to the normal Blaster.

So, after plowing through all of these numbers, what can be taken away from all of this? Luna Blaster is the best pure killer-blaster in the game, but requires the most risk to get in, though that's also mitigated by the larger blast radius putting it only just slightly behind the effective range of the Clash and Just Blaster. The Rapid, meanwhile, is obviously the safest of the group and the most ink-efficient when it comes to just firing shots and covering turf to move through, but that comes at the cost of its time-to-kill.
The Clash, for the most part, winds up being pretty comparable to the normal blaster in many respects, although for the way the game as a whole is played right now that may not be great news for it. Its inking and efficiency is on par with its contemporaries, and seems to function as kind of an alternative to the normal blaster, wherein you trade straight power and the 1-hit KO and in return gain a little more versatility and reaction ability. The faster fire rate basically means you don't have to commit to every single shot in the same way the normal blaster does, meaning you don't have to remain exposed for as long before and after every shot and letting you more easily break off from an encounter if it's not going your way. Whether or not you think that's worth the small hit to TTK mostly comes down, I think, to a matter of preference.

...Either one is kind of pointless to use over a Tentatek though. God damn it Tentatek. Thanks for reading!

Awwww yeah, Doorman's back. This is a very good analysis. I've barely dipped my toe into the Blaster pool, even in Splatoon 1, and the Rapid Blaster's the only one I feel comfortable with, but your post really made me want to put in some time with the Luna. It's such a "fuck you" weapon. Thanks for writing this.

ChrisD

holy cow

Thanks for all the tips and input, guys. I would reply to them all, but it would mostly be the same thing; thanks, and I'll keep it all in mind while playing next.

I do pick weapons with ideas in mind such as "this means I don't get too close"/"this is for flanking", but I could certainly do better to keep a specific role in mind. If I notice nobody else is playing defensively I can take that mantle on and attempt to stick with it, as opposed to trying to play defense while also covering forward while also thinking about how to flank. :|

If you're bored I suggest going back to the first game.

I'm not bored at all. I'm actually excited because I wanna see what awesome stuff they have in store. I love the new maps a lot and I like seeing the Splatoon team go crazy with stages like they did with Ancho-V Games and Mahi Mahi Resort in the first game.

ChrisD

So goo tuber is actually a good weapon huh...

no lol
people think Clash Blaster is bad? (okay, I do as well, but) Goo Tuber says, "hold my beer," and goes way past. Goo Tuber is like... the worst weapon in the game. Will likely remain the worst weapon in the game forever. I can't think of a weapon that gives off more of a, "why not use X," than Goo. Especially now that Squiffer is out, and is pretty strong to boot.

if that was a joke, my sarcasm detector is broken right now, sorry

bonesquad

Nice. I had 4 Salmon Run rounds in a row with 3 players. The last being back on Overachiever. But good news! Us 3 managed to survive all 3 rounds despite the disconnect.

Also, I played a round of Turf War, and this happened. Does the game show the Victory screen to both teams when it's a tie?

MGrant

Thanks for all the tips and input, guys. I would reply to them all, but it would mostly be the same thing; thanks, and I'll keep it all in mind while playing next.

I do pick weapons with ideas in mind such as "this means I don't get too close"/"this is for flanking", but I could certainly do better to keep a specific role in mind. If I notice nobody else is playing defensively I can take that mantle on and attempt to stick with it, as opposed to trying to play defense while also covering forward while also thinking about how to flank. :|

In my opinion there are weapons that can switch between Offense and Defense depending on what's needed. The Splattershot Pro, Rapid Blaster, and Dualie Squelchers come to mind. You won't be painting much, though.

CSX

I played a match where 3 players on the opposing team disconnected.

...it was a massacre. My team basically camped at the spawn point for last minute. That poor player

Doorman

Awwww yeah, Doorman's back. This is a very good analysis. I've barely dipped my toe into the Blaster pool, even in Splatoon 1, and the Rapid Blaster's the only one I feel comfortable with, but your post really made me want to put in some time with the Luna. It's such a "fuck you" weapon. Thanks for writing this.

The Luna's ink efficiency got hit hard between games, but it wasn't until I went through all these numbers that I realized they just hit it to a point where it more sensibly falls in line with the rest of the class. That being said...normal blaster also got nerfed in that way and I'd argue that with that version's slower shot time and smaller burst, the efficiency nerf actually hurt it harder than it hurts Luna, even though Luna got a harder hit by the numbers.

Anyway, yeah, the Luna is still a strong attacking weapon, though you'd need to be very careful in how you deal with a lot of the other currently popular weapons i.e. tri-slosher and octobrush. Baller is also...tricky, at least in my experience, and its small explosion radius and Luna's natural range don't really do you a lot of favors if you roll into an area where there are any weapons with splattershot or higher range lurking. Blasters in general have it a bit rough right now but still have their moments to shine. I still intend to put more time into the Clash, though doing these tests and salmon run kinda sucked up my play-time for this evening. :p

DrArchon

Finally got all of the Hero Replicas unlocked. Between them and all of the scrolls and upgrades, I should have a full 1000% completion for single player. Meaning I never have to touch that mode ever again.

Ugh. I can't believe I did that. I already feel like it was a terrible waste of time. There's no way I'll ever use half of these weapons in multiplayer. The only one that's not outclassed by something else is the Octobrush.

bumpkin

I am so done with Salmon Run... I never feel like I get teamed with players who paid attention to the tutorials and know how to handle bosses. I always get the useless weapons in the toughest rounds, and I have been stuck at 120% for a good week or two. Every time I end up in a shitty round, I lose XP or whatever it is. That doesn't exactly motivate me to keep playing.

Nice. I had 4 Salmon Run rounds in a row with 3 players. The last being back on Overachiever. But good news! Us 3 managed to survive all 3 rounds despite the disconnect.

Also, I played a round of Turf War, and this happened. Does the game show the Victory screen to both teams when it's a tie?

You should be able to check this on the app

simtmb

Communication error in rank, right as we are about to land the win, and it seems to of triggered a loss as the glass shattered.

Great!

Kudo

"With good timing it's possible to reflect the shot and hit the Drizzler with it's own projectile, taking it down in one hit".
Huh, so if you hit the rocket just before it launches that deals with it immediately?

Jintor

"With good timing it's possible to reflect the shot and hit the Drizzler with it's own projectile, taking it down in one hit".
Huh, so if you hit the rocket just before it launches that deals with it immediately?

Yeah but only if the angle is right which sucks ass

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love love love salmon run, but it shouldn't *ever* match you into incomplete groups. And if it really must, it shouldn't deduct points when you inevitably lose.

So I'm running into a bunch of rage quitters during Tower Control the past few days. Once it gets down to the last minute and we aren't in the lead, one of my teammates suddenly disappears. And since it's so late into the match, the rest of us eat the full penalty.

There really needs to be zero tolerance on intentional disconnects. One rage quit, you're done for 48 hours.

spiritfox

Sucks worse ass because the time it takes you to find the missile and shoot it in the wrong direction is enough time for the thing to go back under the umbrella so you've made no progress

Someone should at least shoot down the missile since it'll stop the inkstorm from manifesting.

random25

If the reflected rocket hits the drizzler (before it shields) then it's a one-hit kill. Two problems with this:

1. The angle of reflecting it back needs to be going to the drizzler, and it can be a bit of a pain to do.

2. The rocket needs to be reflected immediately because the drizzler will shield if not fast enough.

Reflecting back the rocket regardless is a good thing as it cancels out the ink storm, and those things can be a pain when things get crowded. But if you're using it to kill the drizzler in an instant, better have a heavy hitting weapon in hand like a roller or a charger as they do the job well.

ChrisD

The 10's are such a long grind in this game... they really want you to keep playing to level up. Lol

Wait until you get into the 40's.

95k for one level

Still not going to use any XP tickets though, I made it this far without them, I kind of want to just say I did the whole thing "clean" lol. (Really it's more just because anytime I think of using an XP ticket, I realize I need more money instead or want to farm certain Abilities).

Top Bottom