• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami = Review Thread -

MAX PAYMENT

I'm going to be starting the yakuza series for the first time next month. I'm starting with zero. Will they continue remaking these until the whole series is playable on ps4?

ubiblu

The veterans say start with 0, but I say start with this. It has enough features to be great, but it goes by quicker than 0 does. This feels like a more focused entry into the series.

I just can't support this mentality. The Yakuza series' greatest challenge is making people realise they will actually love it, they just need to give it a chance.

You don't start a story with the mediocre second book, even if it is a more straight forward story. Yakuza Zero is the perfect starting point and helps introduce players to the crazy game world with plenty to see and do, and an amazing story to boot.

At least you didn't suggest starting with Y1/Y2 on PCSX2 like some series veterans. Now that is just fucking retarded.

I'm going to be starting the yakuza series for the first time next month. I'm starting with zero. Will they continue remaking these until the whole series is playable on ps4?

Ask us again after the big August 26 presentation by the Yakuza game studio. We all certainly hope so.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I own both Yakuza's on PS2, but my BC PS3 croaked before I could get into them. I'm excited for this one. I have the PS3 Yakuza's, and I plan on getting 0 as soon as I can. I'd love to be able to play the entire series on one platform, though.

It's always nice to see a remaster or remake done well. It's a shame other developers don't always strive for that level of quality (I'm looking at YOU, Konami, and your piss poor SH and ZoE remasters...).

ZoronMaro

Well I was going to ask if it's better to start with Kiwami or 0, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Fortunately $30 vs $55 is enough of a tie breaker for me.

Besides with my time the way it is, having less content is legitimately a positive not a negative in the games favor.

MAX PAYMENT

I just can't support this mentality. The Yakuza series' greatest challenge is making people realise they will actually love it, they just need to give it a chance.

You don't start a story with the mediocre second book, even if it is a more straight forward story. Yakuza Zero is the perfect starting point and helps introduce players to the crazy game world with plenty to see and do, and an amazing story to boot.

At least you didn't suggest starting with Y1/Y2 on PCSX2 like some series veterans. Now that is just fucking retarded.

Ask us again after the big August 26 presentation by the Yakuza game studio. We all certainly hope so.

That's pretty soon. Cool.

The relative success and popularity of Yakuza 0 makes me so damn happy. 2 years ago I had this wonderful series written off for dead in the west. Now we have 3 Yakuza games releasing in a 12 month period and I couldn't be happier. Huge Yakuza fan here. I even liked Dead Souls despite all of its wonkyness. Does anybody know the WW sales numbers for Yakuza 0?

Card Boy

Banned

Why? I got to play the game like this and with a PS3 controller too.

10xkds.png

2dtkb6.png

36ejv7.png

4vpkzp.png

3pmxme.png

Well I was going to ask if it's better to start with Kiwami or 0, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Besides with my time the way it is, having less content is legitimately a positive not a negative in the games favor.
There is a consensus. Start with 0. There is only like 1 or 2 people that say otherwise.

Opa-Pa

I mean, I'm no veteran, but that /is/ in fact the ideal way to get into the series lol.

Playing just 0, Kiwami and then 6 is just an alternative for people who have no means or time (?) to play the rest of the games, but still very far from ideal.

Anyway, I agree that it's better to start from 0 and not Kiwami because the latter has additions to make it feel like an actual sequel to 0 instead of just a remake of the game that comes next in the timeline, if that makes sense. If you're gonna start with Yakuza 1 then it should be the original.

There's some argument to be had about starting from the best game in the series (0) not being the best idea, but eh, new fans will have a great time either way.

Some games are better starting points than others. I would personally recommend starting with 0 since it is chronologically the first in the timeline, in addition to being a well-polished game and having one of the best stories in the franchise. Still, they're all Yakuza games with varying amounts of what makes the series special, so you can't go too wrong with any of them. (Except Dead Souls. Definitely don't start with Dead Souls.)

Soar

With Yakuza 0 being my first foray into the series, can't be more excited about kiwami here. Would be awesome to see Majima again!

ubiblu

I mean, I'm no veteran, but that /is/ in fact the ideal way to get into the series lol.

I'm sorry, but suggesting newcomers play a terribly dated game with janky controls and horrendous graphics/animations/dub/framerate is not how you gain new fans in 2017. Its no wonder people abandon the series based on such a ridiculous suggestion.

Kiwami 110% replaces the PS2 original, and 2 isn't worth playing until it gets the Kiwami treatment (come on Saturday). Just my opinion, sure, but I would never recommend Demon's Souls to someone wanting to try the Souls series: that would be insane given advances in technology.

I'm sorry, but suggesting newcomers play a terribly dated game with janky controls and horrendous graphics/animations/dub/framerate is not how you gain new fans in 2017. Its no wonder people abandon the series based on such a ridiculous suggestion.

Kiwami 110% replaces the PS2 original, and 2 isn't worth playing until it gets the Kiwami treatment (come on Saturday). Just my opinion, sure, but I would never recommend Demon's Souls to someone wanting to try the Souls series: that would be insane given advances in technology.

I mean, I don't think Demon's Souls feels that dated yet. Many people still think it's the strongest offering.

I get what you are saying about Y1&2, but a lot of people, myself included, played through the series for the first time recently and enjoyed seeing the games evolve overtime.
That's obviously good as a blanket recommendation to everyone, but if the person has no problem with older games or is interested in a series' history, then it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Yakuza 0 is probably the best blanket recommendation though.

Jimrpg

I'm skipping 0 because it's still too expensive

If you're after a cheaper copy of Yakuza 0 - its AU$36 (US$28) here at ozgameshop. PAL copy but the same thing and there's no paid DLC so you don't have to set up a PAL account. $2 shipping to US. Comes from the UK.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/ps4-games/yakuza-0-ps4-game

ybbVJLI.jpg

Opa-Pa

You're not wrong in that the newer ones are absolutely superior experiences due how much the series has evolved mechanically and technologically... But I got into it myself only this year by playing them all in release order and it was still incredibly satisfying.

It's a very story focused series too, so starting with a prequel, then playing the remake of the first game and then skipping to the literal finale of the current story is far from ideal either. I imagine the impact of 6 is watered down a lot if you haven't played 5... Which is also less effective if you haven't played 3, which is weird without 2, and so on.

But I don't want to stop newcomers from enjoying the series the way they see fit, so whatever really.

_Ryo_

I already started Y1 on PS2 quite some time ago but only played approx 5 hours. I am going to buy zero soon.

1 is the only Yakuza game that I'm unfamiliar with because I was too afraid to go near that infamous dub. I can't wait for Kiwami. So glad to see it getting love from reviewers.

what? that's literally how i started and it's a great way to begin. otherwise it's going to be incredibly hard to go back and it's still the only way to play 2

the PS2 games are still very good and PCSX2 is a good way to play them

Jimrpg

1 is the only Yakuza game that I'm unfamiliar with because I was too afraid to go near that infamous dub. I can't wait for Kiwami. So glad to see it getting love from reviewers.

I liked the dub. I think they did a great job for the time and most of them weren't voice actors really either. Michael Madsen, Mark Hamill, Rachel Leigh Cook, Eliza Dushku, these were pretty big gets back in the day... there's no way you'd be able to get that 'calibre' hollywood cast for a video game now unless you were Call of Duty.

Soar

In all honesty if someone told me the best way to get into the series is to go back and play 1 and 2 on PS2 before moving on to the modern versions I would not have bothered buying Yakuza 0 at all. I don't mind playing just 0, 1 and 6 and read up on the titles in between if that's all we got on modern consoles.

ZeroX03

Banned
Start with 0, people. You can find it for $30.

The PS2 entries are out of date and Kiwami 2 would make them both obsolete. 0 is designed as an entry point, and 3 onward are fine enough to go back to if you want to.

0 is the best starting point, then play Kiwami. After that you can either go play the second one on pcsx2 or jump straight to Yakuza 3.

I never finished 1, barely played Yakuza 2, and yet I still enjoyed Yakuza 3. Unless you are the type that think a game is ruined because you know the ending beforehand.

Qblivion

Shit man, the summer drought had me playing kingdom hearts for the 30th time but now I've got this, destiny pc beta and windjammers all next week.

I liked the dub. I think they did a great job for the time and most of them weren't voice actors really either. Michael Madsen, Mark Hamill, Rachel Leigh Cook, Eliza Dushku, these were pretty big gets back in the day... there's no way you'd be able to get that 'calibre' hollywood cast for a video game now unless you were Call of Duty.

It isn't just the acting, it was more that I heard the translation was reminiscent of 90s-era VHS fansubs. A lot of unnecessary swearing because translators didn't know how else to convey tone, weird mood whiplash from sentence to sentence, etc.

vocab

I think yakuza 1's story is enhanced if you play yakuza 0 first. However, Majimas backstory gets spoiled in zero which you don't learn much about until yakuza 4. So the mystery of him kinda goes out the window in some ways.

Even Mark Hamill can't single handedly save that dub.

I don't think he's even that good as Majima. He really needed to go full Joker with it, but he plays him way more subdued than Japanese Majima. Michael Madsen is the real star of the English dub, and everyone else ranges from fine to terrible.

Rymuth

The Dub had Eliza Dushku whom I crushed on pretty hard back then. Plus, Hamill as Majima was an inspired choice.

It has its charm.

Rayderism

I played the Yakuza games in a screwed up order....4 (when they gave it away as a PS+ freebie on PS3 and got me into Yakuza), then bought 5, 3, 0 and next will be Kiwami (which I understand is essentially Yakuza 1) and will play 6 when it's released. Had Kiwami pre-ordered since the day the pre-order went live. They need to remaster 2 as I'd have a hard time going back to PS2 level graphics just to play it.

IzzyF3

I actually disagree with those people who say play 0 first. 0 is. Prequel that clearly tries to evoke that feeling of the kind of legacy the events of 0 made to the events of 1. So it's like playing Metal Gear Solid 3 before 1 and 2. Or like playing Crisis Core before playing FF7. There are just so many nods to the original game that a person paying 0 first would just miss out. Just my opinion though.

Anyways, play 1 then 0.

Top Bottom