• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
What's everyone so hyped about? It's just a reveal about a NintendoLand mini-game and some details on another sidescrolling Mario --

NSMBU
- dozens of levels across one world map, like Super Mario World
- map can be panned around and explored at any time
- game features an auto-scrolling, Boost Rush mode for more of a challenge
- multiple branching paths that let you pick which way to go
- this is much more than the tradition level choosing, which usually gives you only two paths to choose from
- mid-world fortresses guarded by Boom-Boom
- end-level castles guarded by Koopalings

CHOO CHOOO! EVERYONE GET ON THE FUCKEN HYPE TRAIN!!!!

Stulaw

Yes, obviously.

+ it includes a wave-based survival mode (horde mode) and a coin-collection mode (whatever that means)
Maybe something like Smash Bros coin mode? It's pretty fun, beating eachother up for money, as well as collecting it from the sky and through items.

D-e-f-

Banned
Maybe something like Smash Bros coin mode? It's pretty fun, beating eachother up for money, as well as collecting it from the sky and through items.

Sounds more like "coins scattered all over stage, collect coins + gamepad player must stop wiimote player from collecting coins" to me.

Penguin

If Nintendo Land is not a pack in then I may just pick it up day 1.

The more I hear about it, the less likely I think it will be a pack-in.

I mean Metroid Blast itself sounds like the multiplayer component of many current gen games, and that's 1 of 12 games.

If everything else features the same level of content, different modes, multiple stages, it deserves to be a full retail title.

Stewox

Banned
I posted this in the Bethesda thread, but one of the main problems Nintendo is facing here in terms of 3rd party support is that they basically have to deal with a whole new environment of developers. Nintendo likely didn't anticipate the rise of the western PC devs in the console space and so didn't really make the Wii to attract them at all. It ended up attracting the usual western publishers: Ubisoft, EA, THQ, etc.

The problem they have here is that many of the most important 3rd party console games are coming from companies that have no previous working relationship with Nintendo. Bethesda, id, BioWare, Arkane, and Irrational have all basically never shipped a game for Nintendo hardware (there might be a couple in there and a few ports they oversaw). They probably don't feel comfortable in Nintendo's environment at all right now.

Standard gamer thinking. Speak for your self, I dont have a problem if WiiU has no 3rd parties. Stop making up assumptions off statistical results that dont mean shit if not taken in proper context.
Nintendo as a comany doesn't have to care about 3rd parties. What they are doing is eliminating points where large markets whine on, you got HD graphics, zou got better online, as reggie said it's still not enough.

These posts that are written in such reportive factual nature but subjective at the same time I strongly despise.
Nintendo is different in such a way I and possibly other consumers like, philosophy that I support, DLC and other stuff ... infact I don't even want 3rd parties just so the miiverse doesn't become infested with modernwarfail kids' and a community with other views and total opposite perception, as a matter of fact nintendoomed was nothing else but good to our community, it keeps out all the noise and only those true gamers who know gameplay is the first aand foremost are. I am talking this from an informed customer view, I never talk in a form of analyst looking at the quarter report numbers and saying biased BS which is all in the pretense of max profit, max growth, those would be invalid.

There is a fine line between, "can't do it" "don't want to do it" ... for example:

There is a load of Unreal fanboys (non-tech GFX kids) around that keep saying throughout the web how ID software is not as good as Epic and oh how IDTech engines are "underperforming" toward Epics in quantity of licencees and yes so Epic is a better company then, oh sure. If someone actually paid attention there is a 20th anniversary ID feature video floating on gaming sites, in which in the middle of it, John Carmack clearly explains that HE DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ENGINE LICENSING. He never liked it, he never supported it, and still doesn't. EPIC is a handholder, keeps supporting old code and accessiblity, performance is sacrificed, they cannot produce the same level of optimization when working on such large scale and wide platorm ranges, expect ID engines will work faster on new hardware. This "faster" is pretty much the code execution latencu ... this won't be visible in any shape or form by a random gamer looking into the game as many people expect every word that is positive will mean higher FPS is just ridicolous, FPS will always be locked 30 or 60, everthing else will change, if there is a FPS drop on consoles, that's a sign of bad design, bad programming, optimizations, testing and it's all developers fault. Plus where is any EPIC first party game, all these games made by 3rd parties licensing, those are licensing it because they have no resources to make their own engine, let alone optimizing experience, so many of these unreal engines get only facelifts for what dev want their game to look like.

And the reply to nintendo relationships, id software pretty much didn't had a chance for nintendo since they got weak hardware, FPSs weren't on consoles back then ... you can't blame all of that lack just because nintendo wanted to make ID to turn blood into green and remove rats from Wolfenstein 3D. Carmack mentioned it when they talked about this at quakecon 2011 legacy of id panel. As a matter of fact, at quakecon2012 carmack expressed wishes to bring DOOM 3 BFG to WiiU as well but they not sure with scheduling it.

There's a good advice that when you have no full idea and research you don't talk about it, many people in threads are just bored all day and need to talk something either from killing time or whatever.

---------
---This was written on Wii ... some grammar errors and i mistakenly written "first" indead of "3rd" sometimes

D-e-f-

Banned
"Square Enix has registered trademarks for, among other things, "Circle of Mana" in Japan, according to FF-Reunion. [...]" (via Joystiq)

... oh yes please please please!

Mass Effect 3 Wii U developer "very conscious of not wanting to mess up"
Not a single mention of the Wii-mote...
Do you guys think Nintendo will have a megaton for Wii U the 13th? I just can't imagine that they think they can get the 'core' gamers with just Zombi U. What are the chances of seeing Retro's game?
The Wii U is their attempt at grabbing the core non Nintendo fanbase. You know... all those Halo, Borderlands, CoD(they're not all casuals), Gears, Skyrim and Assassin's creed fans. Pretty much the 360/PS3 crowd. If that didn't set off your alarms then I don't know what will.
I expect zero megatons of any description.

Look at the Wii September conference; it had release date, price, launch titles, new Wii Sports demoes and UI features. Expect that, with Nintendoland subbed in for Wii Sports. Everything else is a bonus.
Indeed

Expecting anything else is setting yourself up for major disappointment or a rant the likes of GAF hasn't seen since Nintendo's E3 2011 threads.
A brand new console and people are advising we keep our expectations in check. *Sigh*, gone are the days where we can actually treat ourselves to a little hype.

We knew about Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 Smash Bros and more all within the time frame we've had knowing about the Wii U. Pathetic.

We have to see RETRO'S new game, and I WILL expect it. Someone has to keep the faith.
Don't do this, man.
It is a conference for launch details.

Walk away disappointed if you do not get launch details.
Indeed
Screw you all.

At least it'll be a good laugh when you can all witness my meltdown and crippling disappointment.

My desire to purchase this system has gone from wait it out > day one > wait it out > day one > not even sure I'll be buying it anymore.
Try not to blow your gasket and get banned. We are probably gonna see a lot of that after the conference.
Metroid Blast up to 5 players. Wii Game Pad is Samus ship (might feature other types of machines), and 4 players can play in free-for-all or team deathmatch. Pointer and analog controls supported. Several maps! Classic Metroid music. You will smile.
At least someone remembers the damn Wii-mote works with shooting mechanics. Why can't third parties be a little more like Nintendo in this regard? *sighs*
I posted this in the Bethesda thread, but one of the main problems Nintendo is facing here in terms of 3rd party support is that they basically have to deal with a whole new environment of developers. Nintendo likely didn't anticipate the rise of the western PC devs in the console space and so didn't really make the Wii to attract them at all. It ended up attracting the usual western publishers: Ubisoft, EA, THQ, etc.

The problem they have here is that many of the most important 3rd party console games are coming from companies that have no previous working relationship with Nintendo. Bethesda, id, BioWare, Arkane, and Irrational have all basically never shipped a game for Nintendo hardware (there might be a couple in there and a few ports they oversaw). They probably don't feel comfortable in Nintendo's environment at all right now.
I'd understand the complaints coming from the Bethesda and id camps if they actually set foot in Nintendo's enviroments for once. If third parties can't even dip their toes then they shouldn't bother saying anything. At least Ubisoft, Capcom and EA give Nintendo consoles a go. It's better than sitting through another excuse from Konami or Rockstar while their sales and pools of customers shrink.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hang on. Does Metroid Blast support infrared aiming? I'm getting conflicting reports.

Of course it does. Even the Battle Mii tech demo did. If the Zelda game supports sword slashing à la Skyward Sword, why would the Metroid game not support IR aiming?

GameInformer said:
"One player pilots the bounty hunter's ship using the GamePad and its independent screen. The GamePad's dual analog sticks and gyroscopic motion controls make aiming and flying a snap. In one mode, up to four grounded players use a Wii MotionPlus-enabled remote and nunchuck [sic] to blast the space-ship out of the sky."

Dual analog + gyro for the GamePad player piloting the ship
IR for the human players with guns

Banned
Is game informer worth a subscription? I don't want to play $4.99 just for the NSMBU reveal. But $20 for 12 issues seems badass, just read the free April issue on my iPad.

Is game informer worth a subscription? I don't want to play $4.99 just for the NSMBU reveal. But $20 for 12 issues seems badass, just read the free April issue on my iPad.

No, not really. Its a pretty nice feeling when you get it, but after an hour, it loses any meaning. The previews are the best part, but all the info usually gets put online anyway. Reviews are a decent length, but could be much better honestly. Once in a while, they'll have some interesting article (like an interview with some video game designer), but most of the time the rest of the magazine feels like filler.

Edit: I also don't believe there are any rewards or contests most of the time. The best magazine is the end of the year one since it has top ten lists of the year besides the top ten games (like top ten losers). I remember seeing a card for Kid Icarus or something in one of my issues, but I feel like those are rare (and if you are reading it exclusively by iPad, this isn't a really good reason to get it).

Daknight

Well in all honesty IF you buy in gamestop then you can look it as a bonus that comes with there reward cards (which I tought was 14.99, not sure if the raise the price). As for content...as you can see from this NSMBU reveal (and metroid) things get posted damn fast online within minutes sometimes.

If you never buy in gamestop then is not really worth subscription (most magazine aren't cause of the internet now)...unless they give you access to there digital version (don't know if they do). Then guess it doesn't hurt to have a magazine.

I do miss the old times of reading magazines and being surprise by news back then...now everything is so instant in the internet is impossible to get surprise by a magazine reveal xP

TriBlade

It should be possible, Nintendo seems to be doing a one by one revamp of older franchises, and as long as they make new music for it there shouldn't be any copyright infringements. I just hope it comes out in the UK.

Other than that, I can see Monolith working on a space age RPG, or something with getting an alien back to their home planet.

I swear there was another piece of art with a castle seemingly floating in the background?

artwork_monolith.jpg

Somnia

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but GameStop store managers are required to work the opening shift on Thursday the 13th.

I'm still on the fence about NintendoLand tbh. Going to be great on the odd occasion when I have friends and family around but I live on my own so for the most part I'll be playing it as a single player. With them finally joining the 21st Century as far as online goes you'd think they would have NintendoLand as a flagship title to showcase their new online infrastructure - giving us a single player option, a local multiplayer option, an online multiplayer option and even an option combining both local and online multiplayer in combination.

Banned
No, not really. Its a pretty nice feeling when you get it, but after an hour, it loses any meaning. The previews are the best part, but all the info usually gets put online anyway. Reviews are a decent length, but could be much better honestly. Once in a while, they'll have some interesting article (like an interview with some video game designer), but most of the time the rest of the magazine feels like filler.

Edit: I also don't believe there are any rewards or contests most of the time. The best magazine is the end of the year one since it has top ten lists of the year besides the top ten games (like top ten losers). I remember seeing a card for Kid Icarus or something in one of my issues, but I feel like those are rare (and if you are reading it exclusively by iPad, this isn't a really good reason to get it).

Well in all honesty IF you buy in gamestop then you can look it as a bonus that comes with there reward cards (which I tought was 14.99, not sure if the raise the price). As for content...as you can see from this NSMBU reveal (and metroid) things get posted damn fast online within minutes sometimes.

If you never buy in gamestop then is not really worth subscription (most magazine aren't cause of the internet now)...unless they give you access to there digital version (don't know if they do). Then guess it doesn't hurt to have a magazine.

I do miss the old times of reading magazines and being surprise by news back then...now everything is so instant in the internet is impossible to get surprise by a magazine reveal xP
Thanks for the heads up. They kinda sound stuckup when answering fan mail about CoD being praised and shit. And yeah, the NSMBU ahit got posted fast. So no for me.

I'm still on the fence about NintendoLand tbh. Going to be great on the odd occasion when I have friends and family around but I live on my own so for the most part I'll be playing it as a single player. With them finally joining the 21st Century as far as online goes you'd think they would have NintendoLand as a flagship title to showcase their new online infrastructure - giving us a single player option, a local multiplayer option, an online multiplayer option and even an option combining both local and online multiplayer in combination.

Even in singleplayer, I wouldn't have minded maybe trying out that Donkey Kong thing, or the ninja castle every now and then for highscores. Seems perfect as something that could have been pre-installed, like the AR games on the 3DS. At worst, bundled with some kind of hardware like Wii Play, I also had quite some fun for a couple of days with that one when I got a second Wiimote, before I eventually sold it. But if it's standalone and full price? lol nope, go away Eguchi

Does anyone remember what happened to that codemasters wii u game? I think there were two. One was a port of dirt and one was something else (i think) did they get cancelled? And what about that ubisoft spartacus game? Any info at all?

RAWi

Does anyone remember what happened to that codemasters wii u game? I think there were two. One was a port of dirt and one was something else (i think) did they get cancelled? And what about that ubisoft spartacus game? Any info at all?

There hasn't been much information about [Dirt]. The last thing we know, from Codemasters, is that there will not be a [F1] game for Wii U.

Dirt: Never announced or even really hinted at what it is.

F1: Race Stars was first leaked actually in retail listings as a Wii U title, Codies just denied a version, well you can't shove that under a rug now can ya? ;)

Spartacus: Was never actually confirmed, I think it was a mistake of whoever said so.

Banned
=O

Wii U to be released next week CONFIRMED!!

----

XD that would break the gaming industry in several pieces xD.
It sure didn't break the industry when Sega did it with the Saturn...well....it marked the beginning of the end for Sega and helped Sony get a step into the industry.

Daknight

Damn, those news of NSMBU got me close to pre-ordering it (I was just going to get ZombiU and slowly get the other launch titles). If my wife, niece or sister get a hold of Game informer magazine I won't stop hearing about when this comes out and when we'll get the game O_O

Please Nintendoland...be a pack in so I can hold them off till I can GET Mario O_O

Wish they would give some news on the two game pad use on the system (and possible price/release of the pad alone). I so know my wife is going to be asking me for her OWN pad (giving she'll be able to use the internet, etc, etc). I hope the TWO gamepad use is not only for games and extends to some OS things (like dual browsing, etc, etc). I HIGHLY doubt it...but I hope it happens (been saying that since they mention two pad can be used at the same time with the Wii U).

I'M SPARTACUS!!!

Well someone had to do it!!! ;oP

RAWi

It sure didn't break the industry when Sega did it with the Saturn...well....it marked the beginning of the end for Sega and helped Sony get a step into the industry.

Yeah, wasn't really saying it literally, and RIP Sega D:

However, the videogame media would go nuts, as well as fanboys. Nintendo pulling that kind of move isn't something you see everyday xD.

Which now takes me to another question, due to your comments of Sony getting pulled to the deeper into the industry thanls to Sega.

-------

What do you think will come to be the Next-BIG STEP in the gaming industry? More than better graphics, what thing or what invention do you think will prove a revolution in the industry (similar to the 2D -> 3D jump)?

DrWong

It was on a Gamestop Italy list and was quasi-confirmed wink wink by a few posters here.

Odd.

Dirt: Never announced or even really hinted at what it is.

F1: Race Stars was first leaked actually in retail listings as a Wii U title, Codies just denied a version, well you can't shove that under a rug now can ya? ;)

Spartacus: Was never actually confirmed, I think it was a mistake of whoever said so.
The Wii U F1 Race Stars is also - still - listed on these 2 linkedin profiles from Codemasters people (QA & Tech. Director) > http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=86498873 & http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=6417640.

Where/When/how did Codemasters said F1 Race Stars will not come to Wii U? This version seems to have been in the work at least since December of last year, so curious to know more about their reasons to cancel it.

japtor

I'd understand the complaints coming from the Bethesda and id camps if they actually set foot in Nintendo's enviroments for once. If third parties can't even dip their toes then they shouldn't bother saying anything. At least Ubisoft, Capcom and EA give Nintendo consoles a go. It's better than sitting through another excuse from Konami or Rockstar while their sales and pools of customers shrink.
Well there was Doom and Wolfenstein on SNES, N64 got Doom and two Quakes, DS got some RPGs I think.
On the other hand...it was Sega. Apparently not too many people outside of Sega knew or were prepared for the quick launch so there were only a few games, and the surprise pissed off a lot of distributors as well, on top of Sony announcing their price to be $100 less right afterwards. The way they handled it was kind of a perfect storm of crap.
What do you think will come to be the Next-BIG STEP in the gaming industry? More than better graphics, what thing or what invention do you think will prove a revolution in the industry (similar to the 2D -> 3D jump)?
According to John Carmack, input/controls, which is why he's really big on VR.

I'm guessing the rest of the industry would say stuff like "social" and "connectivity" and "free to play", then cram in a bunch of monetization crap into whatever they can.

Daknight

However, the videogame media would go nuts, as well as fanboys. Nintendo pulling that kind of move isn't something you see everyday xD.

Which now takes me to another question, due to your comments of Sony getting pulled to the deeper into the industry thanls to Sega.

-------

Hard question. The 2D to 3D jump was huge...but obvious it would happen giving time and that reality is 3D. It was the same as the jump from B&W to color...it was huge, but obvious it would happen at one point.

I would assume it would be Virtual reality, the game TRANSPORTING you into the world and you feel like you are in it. Thought in mind is not virtual reality in that you move in the real world and that is how you move in the game. I am thinking more like but not necesary moving in the real world, just connected to the game).

I am thinking more like Surrogates, you sit in a chair and connect to a world and control the character and feel, experience everything on it and basicly 'live' the game (of course no actual physical thing is being control, everything is virtual). That is a FAR, FAR away revolution of course.

For a far short term reveolution 'similiar' to 2d to 3d jump would be all in the hands of the display technology in generating such leap. A combination of AR technology in that you see the game happening in REAL 3d (think holograms). I am sure other would have much wilder revolutions than me to think of xP

Daknight

One would think this would be a 'study case' on how NOT to launch a system...but then you have Apple that does this an almost exact replica of this strategy and it work flawless for them. Is amazing how one strategy can fail a company completely and yet works perfectly for another O_O

Then again in apples case is that the product is simply a continuity of an existing best selling product, all the software is digital (so no worries about stock, etc, etc) AND everything made for past hardware usually works on the new hardware so the software is already there.

Banned

-------

It already happened....motion controls and the Wii and touchscreen controls with the DS. The next big leap will probably be the VR headsets from Sony.

Oersted

Hard question. The 2D to 3D jump was huge...but obvious it would happen giving time and that reality is 3D. It was the same as the jump from B&W to color...it was huge, but obvious it would happen at one point.

I would assume it would be Virtual reality, the game TRANSPORTING you into the world and you feel like you are in it. Thought in mind is not virtual reality in that you move in the real world and that is how you move in the game. I am thinking more like but not necesary moving in the real world, just connected to the game).

I am thinking more like Surrogates, you sit in a chair and connect to a world and control the character and feel, experience everything on it and basicly 'live' the game (of course no actual physical thing is being control, everything is virtual). That is a FAR, FAR away revolution of course.

For a far short term reveolution 'similiar' to 2d to 3d jump would be all in the hands of the display technology in generating such leap. A combination of AR technology in that you see the game happening in REAL 3d (think holograms). I am sure other would have much wilder revolutions than me to think of xP

i think this would be true revolution. videogames are completly focussed on gameplay, with other words instant satisfication. experience and nothing else would be a gamechanger. but it won´t happen. instant satisfication brings them money and is easier to develop.

not sure if I am off that day or not. Gamestop is making all managers work the 13th so I might luck out and get that day off...or if they actually stream it to store that could work too.All I need to se is Wave Race and I'm day 1. But if I know gamestop, the skus will be in the computer that morning......so we might get a heads up,since I don't think the pos can take massive mid day updates.

Yeah - seeing as they managers must work that day it's a pretty good bet the reserves will be turned on that morning. As I said way earlier in this thread - get your deposit money ready for Thursday. And the conference will be streamed to GameStop TV - but not sure if it'll be live because it's at 10AM Eastern right? Which means the only stores open at that point would be east coast (stores open at 10AM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom