• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

sublimit

Banned
ScreenShot0902.jpg

So i finally gave this a try and finished it yesterday in two sittings.I haven't played Dear Esther but i knew what i was getting into.First of all i must say this game has an incredible atmosphere which was the basic ingredient that made me want to go forward in the beginning.Of course as the story progressed later on i was also curious to see where it will go.I didn't understand everything in terms of character relationships but i think i got the most important ones.And the story overall i thought was very interesting and enjoyed it a lot.I should also mention that the soundtrack was one of the best i have listened to in recent years.

My only problem with the game (or should i say "experience") was with how slow the walking was.If it wasn't for the game's atmosphere and interesting story i would have quited it due to that.In a game where exploration is such an important element slow walking can be catastrophic for the whole experience.I realize that it's a way to load graphics and it also helps to emphasize atmosphere but that was a bit too much for me.
Also not that i care about it but i was surprised that i only got one trophy lol (even though i explored almost everything)

Anyway with the exception of how slow the walking was,i really enjoyed my experience with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.What did you guys thought about it?
Btw was there an OT?I searched but i couldn't find one.

Tommi84

The slow walking speed and even slower running (in comparison to real life) made me quit the game and never come back. Oh, well. It was literally driving me mad.

Every time I play a game from The Chinese Room the thing I remember most is the music. I mostly enjoyed Rapture even with the horribly slow movement speed but cannot remember anything about the story. But I remember it having a sensational, very unique soundtrack, like all their stuff.

Edith Finch is the GOAT "Walking Simulator".
It tells an amazing story in a highly condensed and dense space.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, while visually beautiful, proves that the genre doesn't work as well when set in a wide open space.

rataven

I recently finished this too. Platinum trophy and all.

On my first play-through, I mostly meandered my way around the game, not paying the most attention to the story or how to piece it together; I was largely lost in the beauty and atmosphere of it all. Finished it, thought 'meh' overall, and deleted it away.

But I don't know. For some reason I kept thinking about this game. Wanting to go back and see the village again, learn more about the people. So I decided to go for the platinum and found a guide online. Walked through every story bit and scene and enjoyed it significantly more on my second run. I can honestly say it ranks up there with Edith for me.

Also, just FYI, you can speed the walking up a bit. Holding R2 will pick up the pace. It's not much, but it is noticeably faster.

Also also, Stephen is an annoying asshat. Everything out of his mouth was a yell. Plus cheating's a super douche move, especially bringing your foreign wife back to your piddly small town where no one is nice to her then bailing on her for your high school sweetheart. Jerk.

Fowler

I was surprised at how much I cared about the individual villager stories here versus the overall sci-if mystery. I'm no soap opera guy, but that element of it -- omg he was sleeping with her wait what's this beef between these two -- really grabbed me.

bosseye

I really liked it, I thought it was beautifully done with wonderful voice acting. The only things that took the shine off was the walking speed (although I didn't hate it as much as GAF) and the lack of density/interaction with stuff (some areas felt a bit bare, lots of locked doors) and the recycling of assets.

Need to play edith finch now.

sublimit

Banned
Are there any people from UK here who played this game?Wasn't the depiction of British countryside very accurate?I stayed in the UK for 3 years and i found the depiction of the village and its surroundings very very genuine.I think this made me appreciate the overall experience even more since it reminded me a lot of places that i had visited.

Occam

Was my first walking sim, and Its slowness bored me to tears.

The slow walking speed and even slower running (in comparison to real life) made me quit the game and never come back. Oh, well. It was literally driving me mad.

Very annoying. I probably would have quit, too, but it was actually a bug that made me stop: At some point maybe 1.5h in, the game simply stopped progressing.

pbsapeer

Banned
Are there any people from UK here who played this game?Wasn't the depiction of British countryside very accurate?I stayed in the UK for 3 years and i found the depiction of the village and its surroundings very very genuine.I think this made me appreciate the overall experience even more since it reminded me a lot of places that i had visited.
It was perfect. The street signs. The british countryside pubs. The post office. The convenience store. It was so accurate. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the story was great. I didnt like the slow pace of walking but managed to get through it, mainly because I enjoyed graphics and accurate countryside

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The Chinese Room has learned a lot over the years, Rapture being the culmination of the studio growing as artists and responding to criticisms of their former works. Somehow, it's their most down-to-earth work yet, though everyone who has seen it through to the end will know how silly that sounds. Loved the villagers' lives being so intricately woven together, and the perspective we get as observers to the individual dramas unraveling as the area comes into contact with the signal. Jessica Curry's soundtrack work being as stunning and heart-wrenching as it ever has been.

Worth checking out their blog for some posts where they show off old prototype footage, concept art, and talk a bit about some of their inspirations for the town.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I liked it... but game pacing is still slow as a slug on crutches. Thirthy Flights of Loving solved most of the pacing issues in the walk'em'up-genre and I hope some developers are clever enough to find a way to incorperate the pacing solutions into a dramatic game.

Jackpot

Banned
It has much better resonance if you've been to the UK. That town is exactly like those in my memories.

Nice cloth physics on the sheets drying on the clothes lines.

SomTervo

It didn't meet my expectations, but it's still a nice thing.

Pretty much a decent BBC Radio 4 play threaded through a physical space, so that's cool.

I liked it... but game pacing is still slow as a slug on crutches. Thirthy Flights of Loving solved most of the pacing issues in the walk'em'up-genre and I hope some developers are clever enough to find a way to incorperate the pacing solutions into a dramatic game.

Virginia nailed pacing, too. I didn't really like it but the way they edited it like a TV show or short film was very clever.

bosseye

Yeah UK here, it was like a picture postcard perfect English village, that sort of 1950s thatched roof idyll that is increasingly rare these days. That was part of the appeal for me definitely, a sort of cultural nostalgia.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Got my Platinum for this game a few months ago. As far as "walking simulators go", this one is one of the best I've ever played. The narrative is great, the visuals are incredibly pretty and the world is vast and feels "lived in".

The main issue this game has is, of course, the walking speed. It's terribly slow. Dreadfully so, especially considering how open and large the world is. You can go around as you wish right from the start, but it takes a crap load of time to get from one corner of the map to the opposite.

Enjoyed the experience, Being from the UK i gobble anything up that's related here whether film or games. The depiction of a village here was spot on, Loved the character developments, The OST. Missed a few things on my playthrough so if it ever got VR support i would jump back in.

incredibly frustrating save system. I played it for an evening twice and lost all my progress.

atmosphere and music made the game intriguing, but the mechanics were so annoying i dont think i could go back.

Sande

Came to post this.

How the hell do you end up creating large nearly empty areas and decide a running speed of about 2mph is suitable? That completely killed any desire to explore (or to keep going in general) for me.

Arials

Being able to run everywhere full pelt would ruin the experience of a game like this IMO, like putting a save anywhere ability in a game like Alien Isolation or Dark Souls would ruin it even though some reviewers/Neogaf posters have criticised the lack of.

The slow jogging mode they patched in got the balance right.

peppers

I really liked this game. The OST is absolutely f a n t a s t i c, the graphics are nice and the story is gripping and well told. It's not easy to write this kind of "environmental" narrative that's supposed to work no matter the order in which you find the audio logs and in my opinion they nailed the setting too. That said, I understand those complaining about the walking speed, I just decided I would enjoy the scenery. There was no rush.

I really liked it. I need to go back and finish the other two "main energy balls" or whatever they are. You don't need all of them to get to the last area, but I ought to go back and do that.

Really loved exploring the neighborhood at my leisure.

sublimit

Banned
Being able to run everywhere full pelt would ruin the experience of a game like this IMO, like putting a save anywhere ability in a game like Alien Isolation or Dark Souls would ruin it even though some reviewers/Neogaf posters have criticised the lack of.

The slow jogging mode they patched in got the balance right.

I don't think anyone here wished for full running speed.Just the option to be able to double the walking speed would have been perfect IMO.And yeah i knew about the R2 but it honestly almost did nothing.You could hardly tell the difference.There were times (like in the tunnel for example) that the walking became even more slow which was incredibly annoying.

I don't think anyone here wished for full running speed.Just the option to be able to double the walking speed would have been perfect IMO.And yeah i knew about the R2 but it honestly almost did nothing.You could hardly tell the difference.There were times (like in the tunnel for example) that the walking became even more slow which was incredibly annoying.

I agree that doubling the walking speed would have been very nice, but I could easily tell the difference between walking and R2 jogging.

sublimit

Banned
I agree that doubling the walking speed would have been very nice, but I could easily tell the difference between walking and R2 jogging.

Did you played it on PS4 or PC? I'm starting to wonder if the PS4 version (the one i played) was slower.

prag16

Banned
I couldn't finish this. The super slow movement speed was driving me mad.

Maybe there's a mod for this on PC now?

Certinty

I quite like these walking simulators but I couldn't complete this. So boring and the walking speed took the utter piss.

Firewatch and Gone Home were far better and more interesting. Want to try Edith Finch too.

BlueLightning90

Neo Member
Did not expect to like the game, but I loved it. The story/music/graphics/setting were amazing. Yeah, the slow walking was pretty annoying at first, but once I started getting into the story, it didn't bothered me at all.

Top Bottom