• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

remz

I loved bound. It needed to be refined, not deleted. Lee is cool too. Or was. :/

Isn't tailspin basically the same thing as bound? I'm no tekken expert (t7 newb) but they both sound mechanically similar, maybe tailspin looks cooler depending on your perspective

GrayFoxPL

My wife is Korean, and she gets mad when I call hwaorang, bob.

She also says Baek's name is ridiculous. It's like naming somebody Rocky Mountain.

I wish my my name was Rocky Mountain. Sick name.

Rocky Mountain is a badass name. Sounds like a lumberjack who doesn't take any shit.

I agree, I'm naming my firstborn Rocky Mountain.

Can someone explain why Eddy works so much different than every character in the game? You need to learn so much more knowledge about his mix-ups to counter him and if I stagger block his low launchers I should be able to hit him with a WS launcher or punish. Instead I block it, try to WS+2 as Kazuya or WS+2,1 as Josie and it whiffs. Then Eddy does some bullshit gimmick moves all over again crushing relatively newcomers like me.

It just feels stupid that the stance characters like Xiaoyu and Eddy has such a different way of playing against them. Hopkicks don't work, Orbital heels don't work mid moves don't work when they're crouching in a stance and it doesn't feel like I'm playing Tekken anymore. And fuck those Xiaoyus and Eddys that customize aura+showerhead+butterfly wing as if they know it will distract newcomers and wanna exploit it.

/End rant

Dude, Eddy was much worse in T6 and Tag2. Nightmare to punish and you could fight double eddies all the time. At least his trip kicks stagger him on block here. If he staggers like that wait a little before firing up ws+2 with Kaz(with Josie uf+3 should work or f,d,df+2) or use f+1+2, also abuse ff+4, it's a ground flip move so it's a mid that hits and flips grounded opponents. Against Xiaoyu(Eddy too) you must use similar mid to low hitting moves like db+2, ff+3, ff+4, uf+3, df+3, df+4,4 and lows like db+4, db+3, d+1+2, hellsweep or even simple crouch kicks (for Kazuya), Things like electrics aren't useless but extremly limited so you gotta fight another way. df+2 and b+1+2 is still very useful against them.

fatalexe

I agree, I'm naming my firstborn Rocky Mountain.

Dude, Eddy was much worse in T6 and Tag2. Nightmare to punish and you could fight double eddies all the time. At least his trip kicks stagger him on block here. If he staggers like that wait a little before firing up ws+2 with Kaz(with Josie uf+3 should work or f,d,df+2) or use f+1+2, also abuse ff+4, it's a ground flip move so it's a mid that hits and flips grounded opponents. Against Xiaoyu(Eddy too) you must use similar mid to low hitting moves like db+2, ff+3, ff+4, uf+3, df+3, df+4,4 and lows like db+4, db+3, d+1+2, hellsweep or even simple crouch kicks (for Kazuya), Things like electrics aren't useless but extremly limited so you gotta fight another way. df+2 and b+1+2 is still very useful against them.

Thanks for the advice but yeah I just don't get why they perform that much differently than other characters, mechanically speaking. Just seems weird and confusing when someone is learning the basics of the game.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks for the advice but yeah I just don't get why they perform that much differently than other characters, mechanically speaking. Just seems weird and confusing when someone is learning the basics of the game.

They were always like that but the thing is pre T6 they were relatively weak. Around T6 they were getting stronger and stronger while maintaining their stance advantages. I know fighting them feels like someone switched games when you weren't looking but everyone must deal with this. I suck vs Eddy too btw.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just completed story mode. Um... the achievements were easy to get, I guess.

I'll probably go through the other characters' side stories for the ending unlocks next.

miku

What's the state of online on PS4 now?

Still pretty spotty imo.

Man, this PS4 netcode is so bad! Lol

Yea online on PS4 is pretty bad atm. Hope there's still a patch for that coming.

made a gif for you guys to use

tekken 7 ps4 online status:

UGgUEWN.gif

Spuck-uk

Banned
The one thing I dislike about this game gameplay is that when you start a round, your so close to an opponent. So pretty much you can push a normal button and it likely going to hit them.

Kinda wish they spread the character out before the round start.

Backdash at round start then launch punish.

Sidestep then launch punish

Pressing buttons at the start of the round is a complete noob trap.

Zyrox

Got up to Marauder for the first time
after 200 wins
Feelsgoodman
Now to ensure that I stay in the greens and don't go down to blue again..

Forward

Isn't tailspin basically the same thing as bound? I'm no tekken expert (t7 newb) but they both sound mechanically similar, maybe tailspin looks cooler depending on your perspective

They sure feel different, to me. Maybe it is only the visual, but tailspin doesn't gel for me. Maybe it is just me.

CSX

the main differences between bound and tailspin are

1. When you land a bound move, your opponent's body stays close to you making it easier to connect your next move of the combo. With tailspin, the body can be sent far away enough on hit for it to be extremely hard to land your next move in the combo. This is why you see online Jin players unable to do the optimized comboes koreans have been doing for 3 years. It requires Jin to dash up and do a back input but jin players often even up in a running state they cant cancel out of :p

2. You can bound on wallsplats to extend your combo. You cant do that with tailspins. This leads to scenarios where you might never tailspin at all due to how close the wall is. In past games with bound, you will ALWAYS be able to bound in a combo. It's up to the player to do the bound before the wallsplat in the juggle or wallcarry then bound on wall.

Can someone explain why Eddy works so much different than every character in the game? You need to learn so much more knowledge about his mix-ups to counter him and if I stagger block his low launchers I should be able to hit him with a WS launcher or punish. Instead I block it, try to WS+2 as Kazuya or WS+2,1 as Josie and it whiffs. Then Eddy does some bullshit gimmick moves all over again crushing relatively newcomers like me.

It just feels stupid that the stance characters like Xiaoyu and Eddy has such a different way of playing against them. Hopkicks don't work, Orbital heels don't work mid moves don't work when they're crouching in a stance and it doesn't feel like I'm playing Tekken anymore. And fuck those Xiaoyus and Eddys that customize aura+showerhead+butterfly wing as if they know it will distract newcomers and wanna exploit it.

/End rant

But that's exactly the point in playing Tekken? Every character feels so different and unique.

Be glad you never played against my Yoshimitsu, I turn people crazy with all his weird stances lol There are so many transition options it's insane.

Nuszka

TMM is a warning as to what happens when you spend all your time practicing electrics and not actually learning how to play.

What ? No way!!! Mishimas are the most complex characters in the game with a lot of gameplay layers, everyone else is just gimmicky and cheap. The game should have only around 4 characters.

But that's exactly the point in playing Tekken? Every character feels so different and unique.

Be glad you never played against my Yoshimitsu, I turn people crazy with all his weird stances lol There are so many transition options it's insane.
Totally
I remember mixing up the shit out of people with Lei with all the stance changes. He ain't no xiayou or eddy but it was hella fun. For those characters you just have to hit practice and find the punish

selo

Got up to Marauder for the first time
after 200 wins
Feelsgoodman
Now to ensure that I stay in the greens and don't go down to blue again..

Im in a similar situation, I've got 90 wins and I'm just going from/to expert/grandmaster. Can't seem to get promoted to the first green rank :(. Maybe I'll catch up to you in 110 more wins.

Astral

So I played the game for about half an hour at my cousin's house. Does the game not have a tutorial? I had no idea what I was doing. I did manage to do a 6 hit juggle combo in practice mode at least. How does one approach this game though? I've never played Tekken. The only 3D fighters I've played are Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive, mostly SC since 2 though. One of my biggest struggles in any 3D fighter is the overwhelming amount of moves. I open that move list and it's just too much shit. I might go ahead and by the game on my way to work right now so any tips are appreciated.

Get used to watching Aris' bearded face teach you how to play the game cause he's the closest thing to a tutorial for this game.

The game tells you literally nothing. Not how to break throws, not which buttons work how, not how to sidestep, zilch.

Anything you learn will have to be using either previous games in the series (which is not a good options since things are different) or using tutorial videos.

Astral

Get used to watching Aris' bearded face teach you how to play the game cause he's the closest thing to a tutorial for this game.

The game tells you literally nothing. Not how to break throws, not which buttons work how, not how to sidestep, zilch.

Anything you learn will have to be using either previous games in the series (which is not a good options since things are different) or using tutorial videos.

Yeah I didn't even know how to grab even. Are there back grabs? Side grabs? How do you block? Just hold back? Wtf is rage? I saw something that looked kind of like a tutorial in a story mode video.

Yeah I didn't even know how to grab even. Are there back grabs? Side grabs? How do you block? Just hold back? Wtf is rage? I saw something that looked kind of like a tutorial in a story mode video.
You have regular throws that every character can do by pressing 1+3 and 2+4. You can do the same grab from the side or from the back and it'll have a different animation (and different damage). Throws from the back can't be teched.

There are 3 types of attacks. High, Mid and Low. You can block High and Mid attacks by just holding back. You can block low attacks by holding back+down (you'll be crouching). If you're crouching, you can duck under high attacks but you still get hit by mids so it's a bit of a guessing game at times and certain characters use this to full advantage by having mids that can end in either high or mid/mid or low attacks. Low attacks are generally unsafe though, especially the high damaging ones so you can't just keep spamming it.

Rage is the game's comeback mechanic. You get rage when you have only a specific % of health remaining. When in Rage, you get a passive upgrade and access to 2 abiliies. You passively do more damage than usual which is nice. You can also do a Rage ART or a Rage DRIVE. A Rage ART stops the game(kinda) and zooms into your character. Rage Arts have armour so you can absorb enemy attacks and your move will still come out. The less health you have, the more damage your Rage art does so if you're ballsy you can leave yourself with just a pixel of health and do almost 50% of their health bar in damage. Rage DRIVE is a move that uses up your Rage like Rage Art but it doesn't have armour. Each character has different Rage Drives. Some are just really hard hitting attacks, some (like Gigas') set up a situation where you have to try and counter an attack, some (like Claudio's) start a mixup where it becomes incredibly difficult to guess what move they're going for.

Using Rage Art or Rage Drive uses up your Rage and you won't have it for the rest of the round, regardless of whether it hits or not.

The story mode has an assist mode where you can just press two buttons and have "special" moves come out without having to do the input. It's in no way something you can learn the game with.

Astral

You have regular throws that every character can do by pressing 1+3 and 2+4. You can do the same grab from the side or from the back and it'll have a different animation (and different damage). Throws from the back can't be teched.

There are 3 types of attacks. High, Mid and Low. You can block High and Mid attacks by just holding back. You can block low attacks by holding back+down (you'll be crouching). If you're crouching, you can duck under high attacks but you still get hit by mids so it's a bit of a guessing game at times and certain characters use this to full advantage by having mids that can end in either high or mid/mid or low attacks. Low attacks are generally unsafe though, especially the high damaging ones so you can't just keep spamming it.

Rage is the game's comeback mechanic. You get rage when you have only a specific % of health remaining. When in Rage, you get a passive upgrade and access to 2 abiliies. You passively do more damage than usual which is nice. You can also do a Rage ART or a Rage DRIVE. A Rage ART stops the game(kinda) and zooms into your character. Rage Arts have armour so you can absorb enemy attacks and your move will still come out. The less health you have, the more damage your Rage art does so if you're ballsy you can leave yourself with just a pixel of health and do almost 50% of their health bar in damage. Rage DRIVE is a move that uses up your Rage like Rage Art but it doesn't have armour. Each character has different Rage Drives. Some are just really hard hitting attacks, some (like Gigas') set up a situation where you have to try and counter an attack, some (like Claudio's) start a mixup where it becomes incredibly difficult to guess what move they're going for.

Using Rage Art or Rage Drive uses up your Rage and you won't have it for the rest of the round, regardless of whether it hits or not.

The story mode has an assist mode where you can just press two buttons and have "special" moves come out without having to do the input. It's in no way something you can learn the game with.

Thanks this was useful. I'll watch the guides in the OP when I have time to play tonight. I'll also probably look up a character specific guide so I don't drive myself crazy with the massive move lists.

CSX

Someone needs to tell Namco that people don't really read the bottom of the loading screens for advice before a battle. And even if they did, it's not a great substitute for a regular tutorial mode

It's weird cause I looked through some videos on youtube months before T7 came out, and I saw a tutorial series for TTT2 made by Rip and a few others in collaboration with Namco.

Why couldn't they just do the same thing here?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's so weird, Bamco did a really great job with the tutorial in Soul Calibur 3 and then never did it again.

CSX

Last night, a friend of mine came over and we played some offline Devil Jin mirror matches. Two firsts for me. First time I played offline and also first time I ever played on the right side in this game lol

Friend hasn't played Tekken in five years and hasn't taken it seriously in almost ten. I gave him a crash course of new mechanics and combos before the recording but you can tell he still has the classic Tekken 5 combos in his head. Told me not to go too easy on him so he can watch and copy me to get back in the game :)

https://youtu.be/3X-Ed00XgXg

He can still do electrics :p

This is great. So I should maybe create combos off of these moves?

No these moves are not often used for combos. It's more used as effective offensive tools such as "This is his/her best low attack" or "This move is great in this common situation" etc. Now some of these moves listed are launchers (the move that initiates a combo) though.

If you're new to tekken, you don't need to be worrying about combos as first priority.

Top Bottom