• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layton's Mystery Journey: Real Puzzle Solving

kulapik

http://layton.world

Anyone else playing this? It's 50 puzzles leading to the release of Lady Layton, spread all over the world and with people's help.

Puzzle 1 is very easy, but can't manage to crack puzzle 2.
as far as I understand, on the 15 sites you do the mini puzzle, but then how do you get the word you have to choose for the big puzzle? That's what confuses me.
if you're gonna discuss the puzzles, please spoiler tag them, and be careful about looking the Translayton feature, it might have spoilers on how to solve them.

roxaloxa

I was able to solve Puzzle 2 because of a hint that someone via Translayton dropped, which I think came from using hint coins. Nobody was outright spoiling the puzzles though, which is nice.

I'm a mega Layton fan so I intend to keep up with this site over the next couple months for sure.

Verelios

Yeah, puzzle 1 was pretty easy but two...I was trying some math but not getting anywhere. The difficulty spike is real.

This puzzle thing is probably one of the coolest promotion things I've seen yet, because I have seen plenty of people socialize with each other to help with these puzzles. It's probably one of coolest social things that has happened since Pokemon Go, IMO.

They even got PPAP to promote the puzzle campaign, which is quite mindblowing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, puzzle 1 was pretty easy but two...I was trying some math but not getting anywhere. The difficulty spike is real.

For puzzle three, solve the top line in English text, then circle the letters chosen from the left words to form the right word. You'll crack it.

Puzzle 2 isn't solveable yet (it's pretty easy to almost complete it, but you need the 9th mini-puzzle to get something you need for the solution)

El Odio

Banned
Damn, puzzles 1 and 3 were pretty easy but a nice bit of refresher after having not played the games since last year. 2 looked overwhelming at first before the block puzzles became apparent. Disappointed it's gonna take a day to finish though.
If I did it right the puzzle should spell out BEFORE _ so far right?

Gvitor

Puzzle 2

It's BEFOR_ _

F is obviously going to be an E, but I have no clue as to G, even more so if it's another letter. Plus, the answer has three slots. Will we have to spell it phonetically?

Translayton kind of spoiled puzzle #3 for me, so watch out!

Weird how puzzle #2 takes way more effort than the other two released so far. I guess that's intentional, though, given that two of the clues are time-gated.

Are these puzzles going to be in the game? And if not, are they similar to regular Layton puzzles?

I can't imagine that they would be, at least not in their current form. I've only played the first Layton game (they are surprisingly hard to find for cheap these days) but yeah, they do kinda feel Layton-esque. Letter puzzles and whatnot. No metchsteeks though.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So far in puzzle 2, I've got:

[1]
YEAR
[2]
FORK
[3]
BIKE
[4]
BOOK
[5]
STOP
[6]
NICE
[7]
FOOT
[8]
DROP
[9] ¿?¿?
[10]
TOUR
[11]
DEAD
[12]
FOUR
[13]
MILK
[14]
DUST
[15] ¿?¿?
Edit, 15 is up, answer is
HEAD

So, the letters are:
a=
B
b=
E
c=
F
d=
O
e=
R
f= ¿?¿?
g= ¿?¿?

The puzzles are super easy though.

Edit: Solved it using three hints. It's not solvable without the three hints, you really need to know what g is, third hint will tell you.

SOLUTION:
1) abcdef g =
BEFORE N
2)
The black colored block means you need to color all the blocks with letters that come before N, in the 4x15 tower. ie, in the first row that has YEAR, you need to color the blocks containing EA, and so on

ANSWER:
ACE .

So far in puzzle 2, I've got:

[1]
YEAR
[2]
FORK
[3]
BIKE
[4]
BOOK
[5]
STOP
[6]
NICE
[7]
FOOT
[8]
DROP
[9] ¿?¿?
[10]
TOUR
[11]
DEAD
[12]
FOUR
[13]
MILK
[14]
DUST
[15] ¿?¿?

So, the letters are:
a=
B
b=
E
c=
F
d=
O
e=
R
f= ¿?¿?
g= ¿?¿?

The puzzles are super easy though.

Edit: Solved it using three hints. It's not solvable without the three hints, you really need to know what g is, third hint will tell you.

SOLUTION:
1) abcdef g =
BEFORE N
2)
The black colored block means you need to color all the blocks with letters that come before N, in the 4x15 tower. ie, in the first row that has YEAR, you need to color the blocks containing EA, and so on

ANSWER:
ACE .

Really this is the only puzzle that was poorly constructed. They need to fix this puzzle's instructions.

maxcriden

I can't imagine that they would be, at least not in their current form. I've only played the first Layton game (they are surprisingly hard to find for cheap these days) but yeah, they do kinda feel Layton-esque. Letter puzzles and whatnot. No metchsteeks though.

Thanks for the info! BTW, I didn't realize the other Layton games has gone up in price. You might want to post a WTB in the GAF buy/sell/trade thread or see if someone has it for trade on gameTZ, I find my best gaming deals in those two places.

Kalor

So for this next puzzle... You have to watch either Yokai Watch or Snack World? Wtf

They know that they have an international audience so it's weird that they are limiting it like this. At least people are to post images of the puzzle in translayton.

Edit: Solved it. It was a lot easier that the previous puzzles.

kulapik

They know that they have an international audience so it's weird that they are limiting it like this. At least people are to post images of the puzzle in translayton.
I think that's their intention, having people work together

kulapik

So puzzle e is going to show up at the Shibuya crossing, puzzle f in a escape room in Japan (or at least I think so) and puzzle g on next week's Shonen Jump... So much for a global event.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So puzzle e is going to show up at the Shibuya crossing, puzzle f in a escape room in Japan (or at least I think so) and puzzle g on next week's Shonen Jump... So much for a global event.

There's a map for the puzzles that has a map of the whole world, but all the puzzles so far have been in Japan. I would guess each batch of puzzles (each chapter of the plot) takes place in a different area of the world. Otherwise the Translaytion stuff wouldn't make any sense.

kulapik

There's a map for the puzzles that has a map of the whole world, but all the puzzles so far have been in Japan. I would guess each batch of puzzles (each chapter of the plot) takes place in a different area of the world. Otherwise the Translaytion stuff wouldn't make any sense.
The press release says that the weekend of June 30th there will be a puzzle in San Francisco, but it's pretty annoying having to depend on people posting the stuff in Translayton.

Makai

5qXtU5f.png

Exactly how I feel. I got puzzle A at least.

and puzzle C, fuc yeah

and puzzle D, yes

twitter hints make this way easier.

Man, Professor Layton puzzles make me feel super dumb when I mess up...but also super smart when I actually get it right. These games are a doubled edged sword lol

I actually would like it if Professor Layton was on my phone or PC browser like this. The idea of having to play the new game on the 3DS has zero appeal to me.

I'm going to say fuck the puzzles that don't actually give you the puzzle straight up and require you to look at the twitter feed stuff. I figured out the question in puzzle e, but because I didn't see the second picture down I got the wrong answer

tsundoku

The first puzzle is like a cute layton puzzle and so is the third and then the rest of it is cross media garbage that explicitly requires you to go do a braindead thing at an external source of information / with an external source of information

its like a microcosm of everything that went wrong with the layton series

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm going to say fuck the puzzles that don't actually give you the puzzle straight up and require you to look at the twitter feed stuff

I mean the whole point is people working together around the world to solve the puzzles, so unless you're planning on flying to every place that has a puzzle, chances are you're going to have to rely on others to help you get the images you need.

This is really cool! I love the engagement of people and how it's gonna unlock little extras for the real game.
Only done three puzzles so far. The balloon one took me two tries because I'm colorblind and the screen dulled the colors too much for pink and white to be distinguishable.

It's... Surprisingly charming! The "clues scattered all over the world" part reminds me of the Alternate Reality Games I've keep hearing about.

Sometimes the Twitter feed gave very blatant clues though, beware.

Waiting for more to unlock!

kulapik

The Shonen has leaked and thus, the puzzle is already available, though it cant be solved yet. And the answer is quite interesting, as it is
restart, and since the first puzzle's answer was start, does that mean that the next few puzzles are gonna have the same answers as the previous ones? It could just signify the change of country, after all.

Top Bottom