• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads | October 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mario & Luigi remake, Fire Emblem Warriors, & Super Mario Odyssey, what a month.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping we get some more dates for the Nintendo arcade stuff. I'm patiently waiting for arcade Punch-Out...& Super Punch-Out while we're at it.

Orgen

When did Oxenfree get announced for Switch? :O Not in Europe for now?

Buy it people, wonderful game! (and play the new game+ too when you beat it)

jariw

Brakke

Banned
Oh wow I was freaking out at the Stardew screenshot but that’s not actually a confirmed date? 😓

Pokemaniac

bannersystemfekzk.png

Nintendo Switch

There was actually a 3.0.2 update released September 5th.

donny2112

As a non-Switch owner, we're coming up on a glorious ending to 3DS and Wii U releases, which may (LOL!) give me a chance to make some headway on backlogs. However, that's increasingly unlikely as FEH (mostly) and now SMR mobile (since it was 50% off, but still isn't that good) are eating up all my time. Will definitely jump in with FE Switch (the real one, not Warriors), but hopefully that'll be pushed out to 2019 or something to give me more time to catch up! :lol:

tolkir

Oh wow I was freaking out at the Stardew screenshot but that's not actually a confirmed date? ��

The game is approved by Nintendo, only it misses a specific date.

Stardew Valley Switch Update, we've been approved. Working on finalising a release date with all parties involved. Will continue to inform!

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/912770131188731906

It should be coming on next weeks.

There was actually a 3.0.2 update released September 5th.

Updated. Thanks for the call.

jariw

If someone wants to guess on how many Switch titles October will end up with, here's some background info for September.

If I counted correctly, the NoA eShop store had 43 releases for September:
  • 1 first party retail game
  • 8 third party retail games
  • 29 digital-only (indie) games
  • 4 NeoGeo games
  • 1 Arcade Archives

Most digital-only release dates were unknown when September started.

Blues1990

I'll be getting Oxenfree and Stardew Valley, without a doubt. Screw Super Mario Odyssey, those two are my most anticipated games for the system!

ChrisD

Day one on Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Etrian Odyssey V.

If Stardew Valley does release I'll grab it around Christmas, probably. It's always seemed like the perfect comfy game for that time.

I look forward to another month without SMT IV going on sale in NA, it's only been six+ months I've waited to buy it at this point out of spite. It's become a joke in the house every Thursday lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Day one on Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Etrian Odyssey V.

If Stardew Valley does release I'll grab it around Christmas, probably. It's always seemed like the perfect comfy game for that time.

I look forward to another month without SMT IV going on sale in NA, it's only been six+ months I've waited to buy it at this point out of spite. It's become a joke in the house every Thursday lol.

Atlus 3DS sales used to be pretty much monthly and now they've dried up. I've been waiting for a good price on EOU2 for months now.

Crazyorloco

Wow. Best first year line-up I swear....

I had absolutely no idea Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime was coming out for the Nintendo Switch.

This will be one of the top co-op games for the system. It is perfect for the Switch!

ZeroX03

Banned
In for Stardew and Mario Odyssey at launch.

Will get Fire Emblem Warriors, Superstar Saga+, Etrian Odyssey V (when EU hits) and Layton's Mystery Journey at some point. Why is Layton full price? Thought they implied it would be cheaper.

Picked up Brave Dungeon/Dark Witch Story earlier today. Haven't tried Dark Witch Story. so I can't say anything about that.

Brave Dungeon is a dungeon RPG. There are 5 dungeons and you can play whichever you want. They are unlocked from the start. Of course, if you pick the later dungeons, you won't be strong enough to succeed but it's nice you can switch between them.

Each dungeon had a certain number of floors. Not sure how many but I'm currently in floor 3 of the first dungeon. The maps for each floor are not complicated at all. Very basic. You have visible enemies as well as the boss and you run into them to start a battle. You have treasures to find, which are materials to make accessories. Theres a % in the corner that will show how much of the floor you've uncovered.

When you first enter a dungeon, you can't run away from any battles. It's only when you uncover 100% of the floor that you can.

When you 100% a floor, you'll get an icon to represent this.

Battles are turn based. You have a team of 3. One that is your main and you can choose the other 2 from a selection of 7. You can switch to new characters whenever you are back in town.

The only equipment you have are accessories, that you can find during a dungeon or you can craft them. No weapons or armor. Certain materials are in certain dungeons, but you can look at the material book to see which is where. In the beginning, you can equip 2 accessories but you should be able to unlock more as the game progresses.

You can also create other material. When you have the required items, the new material will be highlighted to let you know it can be created.

There's a bestiary which shows enemy stats and what materials they have.

When you level up, only your HP and SP(?) increases. If you want to increase the other stats (which there are 4) you have to use the currency, Tres. It's gained after every battle. If you want more attack, spend 500 Tres to increase it by 1. If you want to increase it again, it costs 1000. As far as I know, you only get +1 every time you do this, but the amount of Tres you need increases by 500.

Magic Items are what you use during battle. Your potions and whatnot. These need to be purchased with Tres. A potion might cost 500 for one but if you want another, it'll be 1000. Like stats, the amount of Tres will also increase. These items get replenished every time you go back to town. Free of charge. Same with your HP.

Every 10 levels you can change your class. You have 2 options and each give you a different skill. Not only that but one choice might increase your attack by 10 and your defense by 5 OR the other choice might switch it around and increase attack by 5 and defense by 10.

There are material requests (3 at a time), where you bring the required materials and you get Tres and a Lunch Coin in exchange. Lunch coins are used to give a random team member a random stat increase, depending on what shows up on this basic roulette system.

The game defaults the difficulty to Expert, which I think is the way to go. The other 2 are Easy and Casual. You will have some trouble with bosses or when you enter a new floor but that can be solved with some grinding of levels and Tres (or stat increase). Accessories can play a big part as well. Equipping someone with 2 attack up items can make a difference.

I find the game simplistic but addictive because of it. I can see it being repetitive but it hasn't hit me yet. I'm currently on floor 3 of Dungeon 1, with a party who is in the 20's.

It's also on the 3DS. Not sure if there are any differences in gameplay.

A few screenshots:

Li Kao

Mmh, my launch day purchases will probably be...

Culdcept
Fire Emblem Switch
Super Mario Odyssey
and Stardew Valley

Only on the fence for Wolfenstein 2 PC, the Switch is a monster.

Shiggy

The Boxboy games are 25% off from now until 23:59 (UK time) on 26/10/2017. Qbby's 2.5th Anniversary Theme – is also available to redeem in My Nintendo for a limited time, in exchange for 20 Gold Points.

b26f7d1485e7dd1c

This should be an error I think. I have the switch eshop open right in front of me and it isnt out (but it also disappeared from the coming soon tab)

Yeah, it's no longer up for purchase either.

tolkir

European eShop: Top 10 Best-selling Switch games in September

01. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft)
02. Sonic Mania (Sega)
03. SteamWorld Dig 2 (Image & Form)
04. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang)
05. Golf Story (Sidebar Games)
06. Fifa 18 (Electronic Arts)
07. Lego Worlds (Warner Bros)
08. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Nicalis)
09. Thimbleweed Park (Terrible Toybox)
10. Pokken Tournament DX (Nintendo)

steveovig

What kind of game is Stardew Valley? I heard someone mention it has dungeons and such. Upon seeing pics, it looks like a farm rpg? Is there more to it than that?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What kind of game is Stardew Valley? I heard someone mention it has dungeons and such. Upon seeing pics, it looks like a farm rpg? Is there more to it than that?

Imagine if Harvest Moon was way more RPG-like & gave you more stuff to do outside of farming. That's the best way I can put it from what I've seen, but I imagine someone who's played it can give a much better description.

Edit: Actually, here's a good review explaining what the game is.

lol wow I do not understand the hype/love for this game. I mean, I love Animal Crossing - I think it's one of the best games of all time. This looks like a RPG Maker version of that.

The ProJared review made it look pretty funny, but also a really boring game without the Animal Crossing charm.

... This month looks really dry to me, except for Mario Odyssey. Which is great, I have plenty of games to play from September, NO MORE GAMES!

ChrisD

Atlus 3DS sales used to be pretty much monthly and now they've dried up. I've been waiting for a good price on EOU2 for months now.

Oh, hopefully it goes on sale as well! EO2U is a great game.

But yeah, it seemed like every other week there was something Atlus on sale. If not on 3DS, then on Vita. Not sure when it changed, that it's to a point now where neither ecosystem sees a sale from them very often.

Stardew Valley does have a serious RPG Maker look, but it still looks to carry its own style enough that the game is not without charm. Much like Animal Crossing, the game probably needs to be experienced first-hand to see why people love it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I understand all the "Animal Crossing looks BORING. What do you DO in that game?" comments now. That' exactly how I feel about Stardew. I've been following that game's hype since it released and got announced for Switch a long time ago.

Actually, the major thing keeping me against Stardew is the aesthetic itself. It's crazy bland. If it had any kind of stylized look to it, I'd probably bite on it. Even Golf Story, which is pretty bland, has a lot of character to it with just its dialog boxes.

I'm loving Indie games on Switch, but I'm also learning that art style is becoming a very important fact to me in how much I enjoy games. Just take the art and music from WonderBoy Dragons Curse. That game is literally a game from the 80's but looks and sounds so amazing, I feel like it was worth the $20 just so I could LOOK at it in motion and hear its awesome music. I feel like Indie games really need to impress me at some level with this art and audio to get me interested.

For what it's worth, looks like Mario Odyssey has gone gold and weighs in at a respectable 5.2 GB in the EU.

Skyrim Switch on the other hand makes a more sizeable 14.3 GB... but is also gold! Should be shipping on a 16 GB cart hopefully.

TheMoon

For what it's worth, looks like Mario Odyssey has gone gold and weighs in at a respectable 5.2 GB in the EU.

Skyrim Switch on the other hand makes a more sizeable 14.3 GB... but is also gold! Should be shipping on a 16 GB cart hopefully.

The filesize has been known from the JP page for like a month. Nothing to do with going "gold."

Man I keep forgetting to sub to these threads. Especially need to now just to keep up with all the Switch indie games. I feel so far behind already.

So far keeping my eyes on ( for this month)

Yono and the Celestial Elephants
Unbox: Newbie's Adventure
Super Beat Sports

which all come out during the same week.... fun times lmao

I still need to pick up Golf Story , SteamWorld Dig 2 and Thimbleweed Park. I'm kind of glad there really isn't that many Switch retail games I want after Mario, for this year anyway.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I still need to pick up Golf Story , SteamWorld Dig 2 and Thimbleweed Park. I'm kind of glad there really isn't that many Switch retail games I want after Mario, for this year anyway.

I think Golf Story and Dig 2 are both in the Top 5 eShop games of the year already. Especially Dig 2, it may be my favorite eShop game of the year thus far. It's really really good and so much better than Dig 1.

Thimbleweed is interesting to me, but between Mario Rabbids, Dig 2, Golf Story, and wrapping up Splatoon 2 single player... I don't need to buy anything else until I actually finish something else!

I think Golf Story and Dig 2 are both in the Top 5 eShop games of the year already. Especially Dig 2, it may be my favorite eShop game of the year thus far. It's really really good and so much better than Dig 1.

Thimbleweed is interesting to me, but between Mario Rabbids, Dig 2, Golf Story, and wrapping up Splatoon 2 single player... I don't need to buy anything else until I actually finish something else!

I actually went on the eshop a few days ago to pick between Golf Story and SteamWorld Dig 2 , but I couldnt pick between the two and ended up buying a retail copy of Mario + Rabbids. lol Once I finish Mario + Rabbids and Fire Emblem Echoes I will just buy both indie games.

I still have a 3DS backlog of stuff I need to play/buy too. Splatoon multi player doesn't help too. :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Good call.

Mario Rabbids is the best thing on the system behind Zelda and Splatoon. You can always get to those Indies later, and they may even go on sale.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone expect Earth Atlantis to sell well releasing the same day as Stardew Valley? They're both very different games and Switch owners are clearly eager to spend money on these smaller indie titles. But it also seems to me that basically 1 small game a week seems to break through and grab all the attention. There's an entire b-tier of lesser known indie games released on the Switch eshop each week but I don't think we ever hear about their sales. Stuff like Inversus, Binaries, the Jackbox games, etc. I wonder if a game like Timbleweed Park will do well on the Switch also. It's a really solid game that has found an audience on other platforms but I felt it was one of the less promoted games in recent weeks.

jariw

Does anyone expect Earth Atlantis to sell well releasing the same day as Stardew Valley? They're both very different games and Switch owners are clearly eager to spend money on these smaller indie titles. But it also seems to me that basically 1 small game a week seems to break through and grab all the attention. There's an entire b-tier of lesser known indie games released on the Switch eshop each week but I don't think we ever hear about their sales. Stuff like Inversus, Binaries, the Jackbox games, etc. I wonder if a game like Timbleweed Park will do well on the Switch also. It's a really solid game that has found an audience on other platforms but I felt it was one of the less promoted games in recent weeks.

Thimbleweed Park did pretty well, I think. I saw it on a few top-10 lists.

If Earth Atlantis launches with reviews it might do well. It's a Switch exclusive AFAIK.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sonic sale up on the eShop. It's the usual stuff, i.e. 3D Sonic 1 & 2 are $3.59 each, Sonic Generations 3DS, All-Stars Racing Transformed (3DS & Wii U), Sonic Boom (3DS & Wii U), & Sonic Lost World (3DS & Wii U) are $18 each while Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (which is the first game) is $24.

......not sure why the sequel, Fire & Ice, is cheaper.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Picross S is legit.

Haven't really dabbled in the genre much before outside of brief demos.

3 hours later and 30 ish puzzles with no assists... my eyes burn from no blinking.

That said. Guessing what you're drawing before it's finished is a fools gambit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom