• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Watevaman

This game still isn't out yet? Isn't it going to be over shadowed by the forza's and driveclubs on next gen systems? Cause i figured graphics were it's main appeal.

Not really. The fact that it's actually trying to bring a PC-style sim to consoles will be its main appeal.

Last I heard, late 2014 or something. Unless there's a GT7 in the works for PS4 then I don't think any big sims will come out Q4 of next year for the next gen consoles.

Addnan

Graphics comparison in third person with the Formula 1 cars between F1 2013 and Project CARS. Its a lap to Monza with Ferrari F138 and Formula A, respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRnq72xxZg

Project CARS wins in graphics and F1 2013 nowadays the driving is better than Formula A, that is still green and movements are abrupt, but is on the right track.
What's with the random leaves coming out of the car in pcars.

leaves7tpk4.gif

Addnan

Ah, so they were. Was pretty hard to make out on the Youtube vid. Thought he hit green grass and it came out as brown leaves.

Seanspeed

Banned
Graphics comparison in third person with the Formula 1 cars between F1 2013 and Project CARS. Its a lap to Monza with Ferrari F138 and Formula A, respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRnq72xxZg

Project CARS wins in graphics and F1 2013 nowadays the driving is better than Formula A, that is still green and movements are abrupt, but is on the right track.
Well that's hands-down a massively, massively better looking game.

You're serious that pCars has a worse driving model than in F1 2013? That's..........that's depressing as hell, cuz F1 2013 is awfully arcade-y.

I must be honest and say I'm still not convinced by the handling in pCars. I've been a backer for a long time and been very impressed with the progress in content and visuals. But I still can't engage with the handling. It feels too difficult, too snappy, even at low speeds.Still lots of development time left though.

fresquito

I must be honest and say I'm still not convinced by the handling in pCars. I've been a backer for a long time and been very impressed with the progress in content and visuals. But I still can't engage with the handling. It feels too difficult, too snappy, even at low speeds.Still lots of development time left though.
What car? What wheel? I drive with a DFGT and, while some cars can be dificult, specially if you go Quick Race with cold tyres, I wouldn't say most of them feel too snappy, really. And this coming from someone that's not familiar with many simulators.

Try racing Time Trial, with warm tyres, maybe you see a difference there.

disap.ed

I have to agree with this and unfortunately it also get's even more difficult with new physics releases, for example the Formula Gulf in the last weeks, which was a dream for me to drive a month ago and now it has the same snap oversteer like a lot of the other cars. It just isn't fun for me to drive atm (XB360 gamepad).

As Jack wrote, a lot of time to fix this but with every new physics release my fear raises that this direction will be the one for the final game.

Don't have a wheel so I can't speak for how it feels when using one.

markao

I have to agree with this and unfortunately it also get's even more difficult with new physics releases, for example the Formula Gulf in the last weeks, which was a dream for me to drive a month ago and now it has the same snap oversteer like a lot of the other cars. It just isn't fun for me to drive atm (XB360 gamepad).

As Jack wrote, a lot of time to fix this but with every new physics release my fear raises that this direction will be the one for the final game.

Don't have a wheel so I can't speak for how it feels when using one.
That's IMO one of the, specially on the R3 tire, better and easy to control open-wheelers in game.

I think it has more to do with the lack of control you get with your gamepad than it is a issue with the physics of the game. Gamepad support will be looked at later, maybe that will improve your feeling.

Well that's hands-down a massively, massively better looking game.

You're serious that pCars has a worse driving model than in F1 2013? That's..........that's depressing as hell, cuz F1 2013 is awfully arcade-y.

It's fun to draw comparisons today, but I wouldn't put any stock into how that comparison projects forward. I know that sounds like a canned answer, but things change so quickly from good to bad to good again to bad again in pCARS. "Worse driving model" depends on which week you drive it. The physics aren't done, the tires aren't done, the ffb isn't done. It's just not done.

Consider FM5 which five months ago at E3 was still running FM4's tire and physics model.

_machine

Oh god yes!

And the we'll apparently be getting the F1 and MP4-12C GT3 tomorrow (old LodA models though) and on top of that a friend promised to loan his G25 so I'll finally get to drive around a bit more with a proper wheel.

Blizzard

Banned
Optimization takes place in the last stages of developement.
If anything, making popups less obvious would be anti-optimization I think, since it should make performance worse. :p Maybe they will go through maps with a polishing run to try to eliminate some of the popups though.

fresquito

Well, for me optimization means making everything work as intendend and work fine.

I'm pretty sure all these little details will be fine tuned later.

Watevaman

NIIIIIIIIICE.

How long until they're in a build?

Pretty soon, it seems. The forums mention that at least the F1 is coming soon to a build. As mentioned above, both are only in their LODA forms for now, so we'll have a little while until we get the LODX models.

And speaking of new additions, does anyone know if there's an order to which cars they work on? It seems a lot of cars are still in Alpha stages even if they were added before other cars. Is there priority given to certain cars over others?

_machine

Pretty soon, it seems. The forums mention that at least the F1 is coming soon to a build. As mentioned above, both are only in their LODA forms for now, so we'll have a little while until we get the LODX models.

And speaking of new additions, does anyone know if there's an order to which cars they work on? It seems a lot of cars are still in Alpha stages even if they were added before other cars. Is there priority given to certain cars over others?
I believe the work order comes down to how much reference they have already from the manufacturer (CAD, tech sheets etc.) so that there's no wait periods for getting some of the technical data. Few of the models were also outsourced so they simply had to wait for the company to finish them.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's fun to draw comparisons today, but I wouldn't put any stock into how that comparison projects forward. I know that sounds like a canned answer, but things change so quickly from good to bad to good again to bad again in pCARS. "Worse driving model" depends on which week you drive it. The physics aren't done, the tires aren't done, the ffb isn't done. It's just not done.

Consider FM5 which five months ago at E3 was still running FM4's tire and physics model.
I know, but FM4 at least had quite good physics already. If the Formula A cars are currently worse than in F1 2013, its still facing a quite steep climb to get to sim territory.

Watevaman

Both Mclarens are actually not bad to drive for just being added. Full interior gauges and everything, although the F1's lights don't actually shine for me.

The F1 is a little understeer-y, but I don't know if that's how it was in real life.

markao

I know, but FM4 at least had quite good physics already. If the Formula A cars are currently worse than in F1 2013, its still facing a quite steep climb to get to sim territory.
They don't, physics engine is in a completely different league compared to what Codemasters is doing.

There is one little set-up change needed to make the FA drive-able (brake engine mapping, from 0 to max), but most people don't follow the forum enough to pick that up and have trouble driving the FA (back of the car coming around when going of throttle)

If SMS their physics goal was trying to be on a level of Codemasters ( Forza/GT), I would have already asked for my money back a long time ago.

fresquito

I really don't get all the whinning, really, People saying F1 games have better physics than pCARS makes me wonder if they have played both games, because you may like F1 better, maybe it's more fun to you, but physics in these games are legues apart.

Seanspeed

Banned
They don't, physics engine is in a completely different league compared to what Codemasters is doing.

There is one little set-up change needed to make the FA drive-able (brake engine mapping, from 0 to max), but most people don't follow the forum enough to pick that up and have trouble driving the FA (back of the car coming around when going of throttle)

If SMS their physics goal was trying to be on a level of Codemasters ( Forza/GT), I would have already asked for my money back a long time ago.
Just because a developer has a goal doesn't mean it always gets met.

Anyway, I don't know, I haven't played it. That just sounded quite worrying coming from somebody who seems to know their stuff.

fresquito

Anyway, I don't know, I haven't played it. That just sounded quite worrying coming from somebody who seems to know their stuff.
I don't think they have driven a real F1 car, so I doubt they "know their stuff". Hamilton has and his words are very positive about how the FA works. Still, job to do, but he says SMS are getting close to the real thing.

If I'm to believe anyone, it's him.

markao

It is not just about a goal, there is also development that can be followed. Someone's opinion is just that someone's opinion. If I would say, that if the physics would be more real, it would be real , would it than be the most realistic sim ever?

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the FA has an obvious issue in the set-up (known to those that follow it a little), which makes the car hard to drive, easily fixable. There is no doubt this is a full sim, the insane complexity of the tire model alone would give that away. And as mentioned, if a F1 world champion tries it out once in a while and gives his feedback on the tires(car), I value that a little more than an average Joe on the internet.

The AI can really handle the Nurburgring:
:p

That's not just on the Ring there are other places were something in the track/curbs react6s like you hit a landmine. Maggots/Becketts inside curb always catches me out if you take a little to much curb

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think they have driven a real F1 car, so I doubt they "know their stuff". Hamilton has and his words are very positive about how the FA works. Still, job to do, but he says SMS are getting close to the real thing.

If I'm to believe anyone, it's him.
Actually, if there's anybody I mostly dismiss, its celebrities that endorse products, whether officially or just 'saying something nice'. Really wouldn't use their comments as gospel.

It is not just about a goal, there is also development that can be followed. Someone's opinion is just that someone's opinion. If I would say, that if the physics would be more real, it would be real , would it than be the most realistic sim ever?

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the FA has an obvious issue in the set-up (known to those that follow it a little), which makes the car hard to drive, easily fixable. There is no doubt this is a full sim, the insane complexity of the tire model alone would give that away. And as mentioned, if a F1 world champion tries it out once in a while and gives his feedback on the tires(car), I value that a little more than an average Joe on the internet.
I'll give it a chance. But I've seen lots of evidence of the driving model or the physics being off. I don't demand that it be as good as iRacing, but I do at least want a game that feels good and intuitive to drive. I think that's the biggest key.

fresquito

It's not THE Hamilton, it's his brother Nicolas xD

Actually, if there's anybody I mostly dismiss, its celebrities that endorse products, whether officially or just 'saying something nice'. Really wouldn't use their comments as gospel.
He's not a celebrity, his brother is. He's working as a consultant. If you followed his posts you'd know he's said good and bad things about all the cars he's tried. For istance, he said karts were a mess, nothing like the real thing, that SMS should totally fix or cut them.

He's doing a fantastic job, as all his posts evidence. Now, you can believe him or not, based on who his brother is, but I sure believe him over all the sim maniacs that have never touched the real cars they all talk about, claiming it does or doesn't feel real, only based on their experience with previous sims.

Shaneus

He's not a celebrity, his brother is. He's working as a consultant. If you followed his posts you'd know he's said good and bad things about all the cars he's tried. For istance, he said karts were a mess, nothing like the real thing, that SMS should totally fix or cut them.

He's doing a fantastic job, as all his posts evidence. Now, you can believe him or not, based on who his brother is, but I sure believe him over all the sim maniacs that have never touched the real cars they all talk about, claiming it does or doesn't feel real, only based on their experience with previous sims.
I'd only read the first few significant journal entries/posts/threads by Nic, but I was genuinely surprised and impressed with the detail he went to in his descriptions. Seems to have done a lot more (at least, that we can see) than Ben/ex-Stig guy (his name escapes me).

markao

I'll give it a chance. But I've seen lots of evidence of the driving model or the physics being off. I don't demand that it be as good as iRacing, but I do at least want a game that feels good and intuitive to drive. I think that's the biggest key.
If you would be a member and actually would have read the forum, you would know how far of you are with your comment.

And for the second part: Ah, the armchair youtube physics analyst, seriously at least just try something out before judging it.

It's not THE Hamilton, it's his brother Nicolas xD
I know, his older brother also has an account ;)

Top Bottom