• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How fit are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just did Tony Horton's 10 minute cardio and apparently I'm in awful shape, my calves are trying to cramp up and my chest and gums? hurt from breathing so hard. It's designed to be high intensity but still, it was only 10 minutes. The sad thing is I used to be able to do it easily, but I've really let myself go the past year after working so hard the previous two years to lose 100lbs (gained back 30lbs). It's really time to get back on the horse before I undo all the hard work I put in. I definitely don't want to be that 300lb+ guy that couldn't walk around the block again.

norm9

Very unfit. So unfit I should see a doctor but I don't wanna hear what he has to say.

However, I'm generally able to finish an Xbox kinect workout and/or a DDP yoga session.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I honestly have trouble maintaining my fitness, things like depression really fuck with me at random times and can totally derail my progress. At my best I'm doing stuff like P90X every day and sporting a six pack and doing shit like one armed push ups. However I fucked up my rotator cuffs pretty badly so that makes doing a lot of heavy weight lifting and such kind of tough.

I ride a bike a lot now and do about 80 to 100 miles a week so that definitely helps off set things without being too straining on my more beaten up body parts.

grumble

In okay shape, but could be in better shape. Want to get to 1.5x BW bench press, everything else in line. Also want to be in better cardio shape, picking up rowing to get there... but slacking off pretty hard.

Being in good shape is so critical to good health it's ridiculous. You feel SO much better. You look SO much better. You're SO much more capable. It makes unfit you something you never want to get to.

Servbot24

Banned
Pretty fit. I work out 1-2 hours every day and eat very healthy, strictly no unhealthy food or drink whatsoever (worst I'll have is fruit). That said I don't participate in any competition and I don't measure myself against anyone, so I have no idea how I would compare to the fitness of others.

I have no visible fat when wearing clothes but even so I really want to shed the bit that's on me... hate it X(

I would consider myself very "fit". I run 30+ miles a week and lift at least 1-2 times a week. I weigh 137 lbs which is supposedly the ideal weight for 5' 6" according to my doctor. I use "fit" in quotes because my times for running (800m up to the 5k) are fucking awful and it doesn't reflect the work I am putting in every week.

sam12

Pretty fit. I work out 1-2 hours every day and eat very healthy, strictly no unhealthy food or drink whatsoever (worst I'll have is fruit). That said I don't participate in any competition and I don't measure myself against anyone, so I have no idea how I would compare to the fitness of others.

I have no visible fat when wearing clothes but even so I really want to shed the bit that's on me... hate it X(

Can you list what a typical day of eating looks like for you?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

If fruit is the naughtiest thing you eat I think it's safe to say you're pretty damn fit. In comparison I ate a whole bag of Flame Burst Dorito's today. There was a time I wouldn't go a single calorie over my alotted amount but this past year I've been a mess, mostly thanks to depression which always causes me to comfort eat. I just hope I can snap out of it and start giving a shit again.

muu

I'm about 30lb overweight. Took off 10 so it was even worse before. Definitely too easy to make excuses not to try.

Shadybiz

Fairly fit for a 37 yr old office worker. Decent strength, can get through a second month Insanity workout without ralphing. Could definitely be better, though. Smoked cigarettes for too long. Have been over 2 weeks without, though, and already feel more energized.

I run between 60-80 miles a week, depending. Ran a 3:11 marathon this year. Resting heart rate around 45. I'm 38 years old so I'm happy with it. Been a runner for over 10 years.

No strength, though. Not strong at all. I don't spend any time in a gym.

Fairly fit for a 37 yr old office worker. Decent strength, can get through a second month Insanity workout without ralphing. Could definitely be better, though. Smoked cigarettes for too long. Have been over 2 weeks without, though, and already feel more energized.

Best of luck with quitting smoking, my man.

NH Apache

Banned
I went back to the gym today for the first time in 6 months. Leg day. Jelly legs walking out of the gym.

Usually play soccer 1 to 2 times a week depending on time of year and from September to Easter I play hockey twice a week on top of that.

I'm 6 foot and 225, currently rocking a dad bod at 34 years old. Trying to get back in hockey shape and beach bod for September.

If I were to try and run 3 miles right now, it would be a struggle due to fitness and it's 95 degrees Fahrenheit and 90 percent humidity.

Doran902

5'11" 205lbs, former rugby player and judoka who stopped working out but kept eating, realised i was 290lbs at 25, 28 now and back down to 205, weight train 5 days a week, run / bike 1 hour 3 times a week and hiit train twice

if I could diet as well as i worked out I would look really good, but I would rather get a large popcorn and watch dunkirk at the imax tonight.............ruining the run I just got back from

Servbot24

Banned
Can you list what a typical day of eating looks like for you?

Sure...

breakfast - 1.5 cups of oatmeal with soy milk and blueberries OR a protein bar
lunch - Smoothie with spinach, vegan protein powder, cucumber, banana and pineapple
dinner - Steamed rice with green beans, peas and broccoli

Depending how hungry I am I might have almonds or granola for a snack (check the granola to make sure it doesn't have a lot of sugar). My weakness that I am trying to cut is dried cranberries. I also take multivitamins, calcium and flax oil supplements. If I am getting hungry at night I will drink a mix of water, apple vinegar and lemon juice which helps to fight it off til I go to bed.

That's all I eat, so it's not a good diet for someone who values variety. Maybe once a month or so I'll treat myself to blue corn chips and hummus

If fruit is the naughtiest thing you eat I think it's safe to say you're pretty damn fit. In comparison I ate a whole bag of Flame Burst Dorito's today. There was a time I wouldn't go a single calorie over my alotted amount but this past year I've been a mess, mostly thanks to depression which always causes me to comfort eat. I just hope I can snap out of it and start giving a shit again.

5 years ago I literally lived on cereal, off-brand oreos, and Sonic slushies with vodka. Would go out and have burgers and beer all the time. It's just a matter of trying to get into a habit, don't be too mad at yourself if you slip up, just keep pushing yourself bit by bit until eventually you're immersed in good habits.

I'd say I'm somewhat fit* Been walking about 4-5 miles a day for nearly a year now, am a healthy weight and don't really get winded/out of breath much and can walk great distances without getting tired.

*However I have very little upper body strength whatsoever and very little muscle, my upper body is extremely scrawny compared to my huge thighs >_< I'm literally unable to lift over 25 pounds bleh

I run between 60-80 miles a week, depending. Ran a 3:11 marathon this year. Resting heart rate around 45. I'm 38 years old so I'm happy with it. Been a runner for over 10 years.

No strength, though. Not strong at all. I don't spend any time in a gym.

Impressive. I'm a very decent mid-distance runner, never have completed a marathon yet. Plenty of halves, however.

Last 10 mile event I did 1:06, which I was happy with.

I probably run ~20-25 miles a week

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My one plus is I don't drink or smoke, so if I could just stop being a piggy and move more I wouldn't be too unhealthy. I should have mentioned I'm 31 and I've just checked and I'm medically overweight, almost obese which actually really upsets me, getting out of the obese category was one of the happiest moments of my life so to be so close to it again is really sad. At my heaviest I was morbidly obese and that was no way to live.

DonShula

Just ate a big piece of chocolate cake.

I do cardio and weight three times per week and usually something lighter in between days.

marrec

Banned
Getting there, I run ~40m a week and do bodyweight exercises every other day with some dumb bells worked in there between the bodyweight stuff. Eating healthy.

If I were to cut out all alcohol I'd probably be much more fit, but gotta have bar time/board game night with friends.

Dre3001

I work out regularly and train at a local boxing/mixed martial arts gym so in pretty good shape.

Im planning to do a few of those tough mudder type events this year and next and have a marathon scheduled for next year that I want to run

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just ate a big piece of chocolate cake.

I do cardio and weight three times per week and usually something lighter in between days.

I mean that's totally acceptable depending on the rest of your diet and how much you work out and such. I know some gym rats who suck up Halo Top Ice Cream and shit like that and are built like brick houses.

I'm getting back in shape. I do a hour run six days a week although I don't know if that's enough. How much are you supposed to work out? Lol.

luchadork

is there a guide to what is 'average' fitness according to age?

i feel like i'm should be below average. but then i look at most people in the street and they look unhealthy as fuck.

sam12

Sure...

breakfast - 1.5 cups of oatmeal with soy milk and blueberries OR a protein bar
lunch - Smoothie with spinach, vegan protein powder, cucumber, banana and pineapple
dinner - Steamed rice with green beans, peas and broccoli

Depending how hungry I am I might have almonds or granola for a snack (check the granola to make sure it doesn't have a lot of sugar). My weakness that I am trying to cut is dried cranberries. I also take multivitamins, calcium and flax oil supplements. If I am getting hungry at night I will drink a mix of water, apple vinegar and lemon juice which helps to fight it off til I go to bed.

That's all I eat, so it's not a good diet for someone who values variety. Maybe once a month or so I'll treat myself to blue corn chips and hummus

5 years ago I literally lived on cereal, off-brand oreos, and Sonic slushies with vodka. Would go out and have burgers and beer all the time. It's just a matter of trying to get into a habit, don't be too mad at yourself if you slip up, just keep pushing yourself bit by bit until eventually you're immersed in good habits.

Thank you!

I’m above average. I’m 5’11 and I weigh 180. I work out 5-6 days a week. I probably could focus more on cardio, but I’m trying to gain atm. A few years ago I was only 150, but that’s when I mainly focused on cardio.

Whompa02

Not fit but also not fat. Used to be 180, then went down to 155, now that I've been working out for a year straight, i'm 174 and feeling good. Have seen some moderate results but I want more. I wanna be ripped af.

Above average? Which isn't saying a whole lot since most of America is diabetic.

I'm slightly overweight but my heart rate, pulse and cholesterol are great for my age range. Still struggling to lose the weight though, was at 1500 calories for a while and I think that was doing way more harm than good, so I upped it to 2k. Male, 6', 200 lbs. Aiming for 180 before year end. Currently doing 12 minute, 1 minute interval HIIT sessions on a bike/rowing machine 3x a week, and swimming in my pool 30 mins everyday.

Diet is no soda, drink probably 12 oz of coffee a day, otherwise green tea or wat. Whole wheat when I opt for bread, always chicken (or fish) when presented with meat options. White or brown rice. Could work in more veggies though. Rarely eat dessert. Go out drinking every other week.

It's actually not too hard to eat under 2k calories when eating chicken and drinking practically nothing but what I said.

RMI

Banned
6'1" 195lbs. I am pretty lazy lately but used to run ~20 miles a week in the winter and bike 100 miles a week in the summer (more or less). Nowadays I mow a 0.5 acre lawn once a week and if I can get a 2 mile jog in once or twice, and occasionally some light body weight stuff. Dad life has eaten a lot of my time up.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm still strong and have good endurance but I've been on the road to a dad belly lately.

Top Bottom