• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study projects drop in Millenial voter turnout in 2018

gcubed

Yep, people think fucking tweeting and posting messages on facebook is just the same as voting.

Because people are fucking idiots.

Enjoy 6+ more years of Republicans.

No they aren...

When you don't have a convincing vision or message other than "continue down the same path", honestly you shouldn't expect much

Don't blame young people for not wanting to buy in this time

Yea, you're right

kirblar

There's nothing to inspire people, why vote?

I mean, I vote in every election. I'm just speaking to the depressive atmosphere and lack of genuine, passionate candidates.
Because you shouldn't need fucking inspiration to vote!

It's about getting shit done, expressing your views, not about providing a pep rally.

Fucking hell.

Opto

Banned
It's just a choice between a giant douche and turd sandwich, amirite? Anyway, damn these student debts are killing me

I mean, I vote in every election. I'm just speaking to the depressive atmosphere and lack of genuine, passionate candidates.

Because getting rid of a literal white nationalist in office should be enough to inspire...

Because you shouldn't need fucking inspiration to vote!

It's about getting shit done, expressing your views, not about providing a pep rally.

Fucking hell.

That's the problem they don't think like that so it's up to you to find a solution to get them to vote. That's wayyy too many people to not vote.

Not

Banned
You know what should inspire you? Panic. Perspective. Fucking DECENCY.

That's what should "inspire" you.

Picture it from my generations perspective, even before Trump the world looks like it's poised to turn into a fucking hellscape with automation looming, global warming probably making it so having kids is unethical, the housing market being so fucked that most people will never own one and people living paycheck to paycheck to maintain bare subsistence

And then trump happens, of course you're going to be depressed as shit and not want to vote

cameron

Don't vote, just boo.

Among them: RAE voters may have less information about the candidates or the voting process itself. They may feel less engaged in state or local elections than national ones. Particularly in the case of millennials, they tend to move more often, requiring them to re-register to vote each time they do.
Oh noes.

Dishwalla

Banned
Picture it from my generations perspective, even before Trump the world looks like it's poised to turn into a fucking hellscape with automation looming, global warming probably making it so having kids is unethical, the housing market being so fucked that most people will never own one and people living paycheck to paycheck to maintain bare subsistence

And then trump happens, of course you're going to be depressed as shit and not want to vote

How does this make any sense? "The world sucks, why bother trying to fix it?" Good strategy.

Amory

Think this study drastically underestimates what else Trump is going to do to fuck things up before the next midterm election

Daingurse

When you don't have a convincing vision or message other than "continue down the same path", honestly you shouldn't expect much

This attitude was very pervasive last year, and I did not understand it. Status quo is better than straight-up regression. People in my generation are too are short-sighted. Voting against Trump should have been all the motivation one needed. It's all I fucking needed . . . Now we're in a much worse position. So yeah, I'll definitely put some blame on the people in my cohort.

Not

Banned

?!??!?!!?!?!?

!>!>!>!>!!>!>?!?!?!!?!?!?

!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

tumblr_mrdrhpH7ys1s2mmayo1_500.gif

People who don't vote out of choice get the country they deserve.
The problem is that 3 million more of us voted this time and still didn't get the country we deserve. Gerrymandering also means pockets of voters strewn across the country have been facing these same disappointments for decades. Throughout this time our voter participation has continued to rank lower than that of other developed first world countries, but the warning signs were ignored until 2016 slapped us right in the face. The system is broken and it breaks many people's belief that we can meaningfully effect change.

I'm not going to stop voting or trying to convince others

kirblar

From my perspective: I was 16 when Bush narrowly edged out Gore. I was 17 when 9/11 happened. I was 19 when Bush used it as an excuse to send my friends and my parents friends to war.

I didn't forget what a difference a ballot made after that.

"Picture it from my generations perspective" Unless your 40 we're all essentially members of the same generation, some of us just have a slightly clearer recollection of the 90's and late 80's.

I'm a millennial and I think this sort of thinking is ridiculous.

Trump shouldn't make you depressed and reclusive. Trump should make you furious and ready to pounce on any opportunity to bring him down.

Letting him and the GOP get you down means they won control over you

Don't vote, just boo.

Oh noes.

I mean, it's a problem for a lot of people. Most are not engaged in politics and only remember it happens when people start talking about it, and if you move often for work or school it's very easy to not be registered or forget by the time voting comes around.

How would Trump happening make you not want to vote.

I do think Democrats need to do more to inspire youth participation because that's what the youth vote needs, but as a private citizen, I can't imagine not voting and someone choosing not to vote.

You just want permission to do nothing.... I am not giving it to you.

Saying Trump won so of course I'm not going to want to vote is beyond asinine.

You shouldn't need something grandiose to vote. You should vote because it's your civic responsibility, and maybe if politicians didn't need to MAKE these stupid ass giant nebulous promises, we could actually work around the fact that our current government is built to work with incremental changes. Maybe the parties wouldn't be so polarized, maybe we could actually work with common ground.

Maybe shit wouldn't be on fucking fire all the god damn time if you didn't demand each successive congress solve all issues immediately.

As if they ever really did. Their voter participation has always been horrible.

I was part of the problem in 2012, but I registered and voted this time around. If a lazy fuck like me can do it, a lot of other people could too, if only they bothered.

How does this make any sense? "The world sucks, why bother trying to fix it?"
At a certain point you're more concerned about looking after yourself than everyone else, you dont even have the time to vote because you have to work that day and can't take the day off, or you're a single mother and can't leave your children alone there's a myriad of reasons why people can't vote, to distill it down to just laziness and apathy is wrong (though there is a ton of apathy)

wisdom0wl

I'm still gonna vote and try to convince the other shit heads of my generation to do so too, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not depressed about the whole situation and looking for a way out of the US

old

Democrats have had poor showings in mid terms. That's what got all these states in gerrymandering messes. Didn't show up in 2010 mid terms, GOP won and got to redraw the new district lines.

Wait a minute, they made a study to find that voter turnout drops from a presidential election year to a midterm year? Despite the fact that there is decades of observable data that clearly demonstrates this very thing?

kirblar

Wait a minute, they made a study to find that voter turnout drops from a presidential election year to a midterm year? Despite the fact that there is decades of observable data that clearly demonstrates this very thing?
The difference is the rate of decline they're estimating for the groups relative to each other.

It just depends on what rate that drop off occurs relative to other age groups.

Sounds like riding a liberal wave, rebrand the parties image, focus on economic and social justice for poor and middle class Americans, talk about how trickle down has fucked over our generation, and make people hopeful about the future would be a good choice then.

Or we can say it's too hard and keep with 90s technocratic centrism and target voters who no longer exist.

Dishwalla

Banned
At a certain point you're more concerned about looking after yourself than everyone else, you dont even have the time to vote because you have to work that day and can't take the day off, or you're a single mother and can't leave your children alone there's a myriad of reasons why people can't vote, to distill it down to just laziness and apathy is wrong (though there is a ton of apathy)

So you are selfish. Good for you.

FVHK4F06LWeNa.gif

Top Bottom