• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

Anteater

aocjxrq061.gif

Kyne

between Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, this is literally the series that would be hardest to do in live action.

I can't even fathom how this would be done with a AAA studio. You'd need to bring in Weta Workshop just to make it bearable.. and we're talking a TV series?

first they fuck it up with the horrible dub on Cartoon Network, and now they are going to butcher it with a TV series. Someone wants to turn America against OP.

psaman17

Banned
I can see it now.

Luffy, high school freshmen in new york, was saved by pirates from drowning while hanging out with his best friend usoop and childhood crush nami. Ever since that day he had big dreams of becoming king of the pirates!

LotusHD

Banned
between Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, this is literally the series that would be hardest to do in live action.

I can't even fathom how this would be done with a AAA studio. You'd need to bring in Weta Workshop just to make it bearable.. and we're talking a TV series?

first they fuck it up with the horrible dub on Cartoon Network, and now they are going to butcher it with a TV series. Someone wants to turn America against OP.

8d7f007f9ad8a34de02f9606281b5b9f9080997c_hq.gif

Lakuza

please no,this scares me XD
I think 4kids dub did enough damage to the franchise in the west.

There's so much that I can't see translating well to a live action (fights, the crazy range of character sizes to the different types of races), to me this would need a really crazy budget that you'd find on movies.

They would have been better off adapting a smaller series like with death note.

JC Lately

Of all the hit anime out right now, they chose what would possibly be the most expensive one to realize to do a live action US TV series out off? Fuck, I think an Attack On Titan TV series would be easier to do.

IHaveIce

Banned
Even a live action movie with Marvel-levels of budget would be dumb or would look bad.
There is no way to make this look good irl, and I'm a big One Piece nut.

SigSig

Hello, this is NeoGAF user SigSig calling through to let you know that I don't allow it, so please cease this at once, thank you.

notaskwid

Well, there's a Naruto live action movie coming out this year, and nobody cares enought about Bleach to adapt it, so...

Piers

DFOWQsAVYAA1gv7.jpg

Oda says to the live-adaptation staffs, "Do not betray ONE PIECE fans who have been supporting us for 20 years." He also says, "Some people may be worried about this project, but don't miss it!"

So he basically gave a warning as his 'blessing' to the project, and request for curiosity at best.
It's sad to think he may have had little, if any, authority over the green lighting of this project.

jackal27

Banned
Why the hellnis THIS the show you choose to make a live-action adaptation of? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, if the 2000s Fantastic Four movie got stretchy powers right, 2017 live-action One Piece can surely do it.

I hope it's not so serious, something like Kung Fu Hustle overall would be great

Unbounded

Why can't they just, yknow, take that money and up the budget of the show?

I know it likely isn't that simple, but damn the show looks bad.

I'm sorry. What?

"Live Action"? I get. We seem to be getting a lot of that.
"U.S." Really?
"The Producer of Prison Break"

Are we sure this isn't a very late April Fools Joke?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm just wondering how they're going to translate a Japanese concept such as nakama for American audiences, because it's pretty much impossible to translate.

Majukun

as i said earlier in another topic about a onepiece movie, it's not doomed to fail.

there was a day when even the marvel cinematic universe was considered an horrible idea...and now basically anyone is trying to copycat the same model and they are making an absurd amount of money

it really comes down to the usual 3 factors..money,effort and talent...without one of the three it will be a bad product..but there's the possibility that they menage to nail all three, and since the original material is good,i don't see why it shouldn't work.

Gnome

I'm just wondering how they're going to translate a Japanese concept such as nakama for American audiences, because it's pretty much impossible to translate.
They just use the closest thing, probably "family", think Fast and the Furious.

Top Bottom