• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 price was just announced in Argentina!

Manu

Sorry, don't want to sound offensive but I kinda disliked Argentinean "gamers" because they would never buy a retail game. (Been there a couple of times).

Can you blame them?

Buying a retail game over here is a big deal. For every game I invest money in I read reviews, watch playthroughs, and only then I decide whether I want to spend 600 Pesos (which I usually pay over the course of two or three months, and then finish the game in two weeks tops).

Yo pense que me habian cogido en Game On con la preventa del PS4 en $600, ahora me siento mejor, jaja.

Anyway, being a latin american gamer sucks big time.

Being a Latin American ANYTHING sucks. I'm a musician too, and even strings are both expensive and hard to get because of importing restrictions. FUCKING STRINGS.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Your logic is perfect. This is just greed.

I think it's been R$ 2.200 since the first announcement.

This is exactly why I didn't move to the Philippines......they wanted 30,000$ USD to import a 5 year old vehicle(Land Cruiser) that didn't cost that much when it was bran new on the f'ing lot!

These import taxes in most cases make NO SENSE to me what so ever, their only hurting their native people!

elhav

games-spyro-moneybags-sandbox-498525.jpeg

I remember when the ps3 came out in my country(Israel), it cost about 4400 Shekels, which is about 1200 dollars as well. Importing is the only way. Family, friends, whatever it takes.

Apart from having a huge inflation, we have import issues.

So, if we want to import something, we have to pay more than half the price of custom fares. Not only that, if we want to pay in us dolars, like everybody does, we can't. We have a special exchange rate (not the official) that we call it "blue". So, we have two exchange rates: Official (goverment will buy one of your dollars for 5,2 pesos), and we have the blue exchange (you can get 1 dolar for 9,8 pesos in an exchange shop (but this is illegal)). And yeah... that sounds crazy, and it is. It's called: cepo cambiario, and the goverment denies it.
There is still a way to import stuff, and that's to pay with credit cards. This will get you the official exchange rate WITH a 25% extra rate of the purchase. Still... better than nothing. BUT, this is going to change in the few months, and maybe they will double the cost.

So... yeah...

This is why, I decided to go all digital. That way I get only to pay the exchange rate and not the obscene importation costs. Thank you based Steam and your sales!

demianariel

Neo Member
I'm from Argentina, so gonna try to add some information to the issue.

The PS4 cost 399 u$s

To the product cost must be added the freight (estimated by 4% in the case of the PS4) of the original value.

From this price you have to add the insurance tax of 1 percent.

From this value we calculate the import tariff, which is 16 percent.

To this must be added an extra 2% of expenses for Customs brokers fees, customs clearance, inland freight and warehousing.

Based on cost + freight + insurance + import duty applies a 10.5% Value Added Tax (VAT).

Then, you must make the following payments to the Treasury: 5% additional VAT, 3% of income tax and 1.5% of Gross Revenue.

While part of the amount of taxes the latter makes the product not-as it then works as a credit to the AFIP (federal management of public revenue), does produce an increase in the financial cost after paying taxes as unsold items.

In case one wants to import a PS4 from the States, the only thing you have to pay is a Customs Tax of the 50% of the declared value of the product (This includes the Product Cost + Shipping Cost) additionally 20% of this total value will be charged in your credit card bill. (This is due to the dollar restrictions in the country)

So the final cost would be around 4521 Pesos (791 u$s).

For a reference:

PS3 250gb Console: 3500 Pesos (619.4 u$s)
XBOX 360 4gb Console: 2600 Pesos (460 u$s)
Last of Us game: 650 pesos (115 u$s)

I feel ashamed of my government

mattchuuu

Neo Member
21% of the money charged for imported electronics is given to the Argentine government, via a large tax increase translated into English as "The Big Tax."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125245968221994503.html

import duty applies a 10.5% Value Added Tax (VAT).

Nice post, thank you for the detailed info! The link I have included above here talks about how that value-added tax was doubled in the "el impuestazo" tax change that came into effect in 2009, making it the 21% I just posted. Did this tax get reduced back down to the former 10.5%?

Kammie

Are you really? Argentina has the biggest, most visited PC pirating websites in South America (torrent trackers, forums, communities, etc.)

Sorry, don't want to sound offensive but I kinda disliked Argentinean "gamers" because they would never buy a retail game. (Been there a couple of times).

Since the PS3 sells at a reasonable price here in Peru, people still haven't gone bananas with PC pirating. Of course, there are oddities everywhere.
Are you really accusing me of pirating on PC when I say I prefer Steam? Link to my Steam profile is right there for anyone to see, just click on my name to the left.

J_Lee

Banned
"SE ANUNCIA EL PRECIO DE PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) Y SU PRE-VENTA EN LA ARGENTINA

Qué: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA) anuncia el comienzo de la preventa del sistema de entretenimiento PlayStation®4 (PS4™) en la Argentina. El precio de la PS4™en el país será de $6.499.- (pesos argentinos)."

So... yeah. 6500 pesos. That's roughly 1200 US Dollars.

Or, to put it in another way, that's about 25% over my current monthly salary.

I guess that's it for me as a gamer.

Can you drive to a bordering country and get one, or is the exchange rate screwed to. Would you still have to take it through customs, excuse my lack of knowledge on this never been to another country.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Hell for that price you should be able to get Microsoft\Sony to fucking air drop one on your dam door step.

sucks wish there was something Gaf could do to help, how much would it cost to ship one from the US or Canada?

I guesd the prices in Brazil aren't going to differ thst much.

Being a Latin American ANYTHING sucks. I'm a musician too, and even strings are both expensive and hard to get because of importing restrictions. FUCKING STRINGS.
I thought only Brazil had over priced instruments.

demianariel

Neo Member
Can you blame them?

Buying a retail game over here is a big deal. For every game I invest money in I read reviews, watch playthroughs, and only then I decide whether I want to spend 600 Pesos (which I usually pay over the course of two or three months, and then finish the game in two weeks tops).

Or...you can do what i do.

i buy all my games at Estarland.com and Mariio128.com.
Both stores have worldwide shipping and the shipping cost to Argentina is 8 u$s and 6 u$s respectively.
You can pay via paypal.

Cheers!!!

Manu

Both stores have worldwide shipping and the shipping cost to Argentina is 8 u$s and 6 u$s respectively.
You can pay via paypal.

Cheers!!!

I heard lots of good things about mariio128.com, I definitely should check it out.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm from Argentina, so gonna try to add some information to the issue.

The PS4 cost 399 u$s

To the product cost must be added the freight (estimated by 4% in the case of the PS4) of the original value.

From this price you have to add the insurance tax of 1 percent.

From this value we calculate the import tariff, which is 16 percent.

To this must be added an extra 2% of expenses for Customs brokers fees, customs clearance, inland freight and warehousing.

Based on cost + freight + insurance + import duty applies a 10.5% Value Added Tax (VAT).

Then, you must make the following payments to the Treasury: 5% additional VAT, 3% of income tax and 1.5% of Gross Revenue.

While part of the amount of taxes the latter makes the product not-as it then works as a credit to the AFIP (federal management of public revenue), does produce an increase in the financial cost after paying taxes as unsold items.

In case one wants to import a PS4 from the States, the only thing you have to pay is a Customs Tax of the 50% of the declared value of the product (This includes the Product Cost + Shipping Cost) additionally 20% of this total value will be charged in your credit card bill. (This is due to the dollar restrictions in the country)

So the final cost would be around 4521 Pesos (791 u$s).

For a reference:

PS3 250gb Console: 3500 Pesos (619.4 u$s)
XBOX 360 4gb Console: 2600 Pesos (460 u$s)
Last of Us game: 650 pesos (115 u$s)

I feel ashamed of my government
Thanks for the breakdown.

I've used Estarland before. They're good.

Do you live near the Chile border? Take the bus on a day trip and buy ps4 there is probably the best bet for Argentinians. Wonder why it is almost half cheaper in chile than arg. Makes no sense.

Dizzy-4U

You can pay via paypal.

Cheers!!!
Bookmarked!

Do you live near the Chile border? Take the bus on a day trip and buy ps4 there is probably the best bet for Argentinians. Wonder why it is almost half cheaper in chile than arg. Makes no sense.
I'll probably end up doing that. I live near Punta Arenas so It's a 2 days trip.

Manu

Because your government >>> Ours.

That's really all there is to it.

demianariel

Neo Member
I heard lots of good things about mariio128.com, I definitely should check it out.

Trust me, you wont regret it.

The good thing about mariio128.com is that the 6 dollar shipping includes a tracking number and they send it like a "gift" with a lower declared value.
So the package is never gonna get "lost" (you know how much the Correo Argentino employes like to play video games).

Liamario

Banned
A brand new PS3 is about 4000 pesos now. I bought mine for 2800 two years ago for reference. 360 is about the same price.

It's not at Sony I'm angry at.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you were angry at Sony. Just making an observation.

Dario ff

Banned
You know what the saddest thing is? For that money you can get a decent gaming PC, since they are manufactured here.

Haha, so true. Someone threw the ridiculous figure of a $2000 PC here, but they're nowhere near as overpriced as consoles tend to be. That and retail console games are a ripoff as well for no good reason I can think of ($130 for the Last of Us last I checked somewhere).

6500 pesos is enough to buy a decent gaming PC with similar/better specs including any of those ripoff taxes from imported GPUs and such. My next-gen upgrade will just consist of a new GPU by the end of the year. (Waiting for the new Radeon 9000s to be revealed)

And let's not get started on the $800-$900 Wii U. :p

HardRojo

Can't wait till I see it being sold for 4000 Soles here in Peru, for perspective, the Wii U Deluxe model launched at 1599 Soles here. the basic one launched at 1399, that's about $570 and 500$ if you use the current $1 = 2.8 Soles exchange ratio.
Oh yeah, Vita's price dropped from ridiculous to 899 Soles...
I'll import just like I do with everything else related to gaming, been doing this since 2011 and haven't regretted it, I can't go back now.

Metra

Oh boy, can't wait till I see the Brazil price.

Using X1's price as reference, I think that the PS4 will cost U$900. That's my hunch.

The good news is that the tax exemption cota was raised to U$500 (for airplanes only). This means that if you know someone that's going to NA or EU, that person can bring you a tax-free PS4. But you will lose the product's warranty though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sony Style site not working, trying to get the Swagstation 4 by phone. :3

duotres

Neo Member

I know people that do that (cross from Mendoza to Chile), but when you cross the border they usually inspect your car and if they found something you have to pay the taxes and the final price is the almost the same as buying in a local store (minus the car gas, and the nice looking trip between the mountains)

zruben

Banned
Yo pense que me habian cogido en Game On con la preventa del PS4 en $600, ahora me siento mejor, jaja.

Anyway, being a latin american gamer sucks big time.

Xbone slogan ni LatAm: "Empínate".

PS4 slogan in LatAm: "Flojito y cooperando".

TheSoviet

Neo Member
Is this Kirchner's new scheme to fund another army to take over the Falkland Islands again? Tax the Argentine gamers to GameStop, America and back?

;)

Definitely your best bet to importing games.

Try to ask for 3 to 4 games at once. More will have chances to stay in customs, less will not be that good for shipment costs.

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, I'm sorry guys, I went too White Knight there. Maybe it's because I play more on closed.platforms like handhelds or the PS3.
No worries man. PS3 is a big pain in the ass to pirate, changing boot files and stuff like that, so people don't even bother. 360, Wii and DS on the other hand, jeeez, it took me 4 months to get an unmodified 360 :/.

Many people here have two consoles: A modded 360 to play everything and a PS3 (not modded) to play online. I guess it's the same in the rest of South America?

I live in Santiago de Chile but here is the dir for a Chilean store in Punta Arenas:
Pasaje Korner 1092, Punta Arenas
- Lunes a Sábado: 10:00 a 20:00 horas.

here is the link to the PS4 on that store
http://www.zmart.cl/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=26604&ref=dest
Thanks mate, I'll check it out.

ajjow

Argentinos are poor people just like americans... Brazzilians pay 2000 dollars for a ps4 and show it off to the friends that live in the favelas how cool they are. Always remember that a corolla in brazil is more expensive than a porsche in the usa

I know people that do that (cross from Mendoza to Chile), but when you cross the border they usually inspect your car and if they found something you have to pay the taxes and the final price is the almost the same as buying in a local store (minus the car gas, and the nice looking trip between the mountains)
I actually don't live in Chile...yet. My gf is from there and all her family down there want me to buy them iPhones and other electronics to bring down there because its so cheap here in Canada in comparison. lol

I look forward to doing a run to Mendoza as I heard the view is really amazing.

The US has the best deal I guess. Just 399 dollar.
Here in the EU it will sell for 399 euro, which is 529 dollar at the current exchange rate.

maty

Another argie here, and yes those prices suck :/

I've got a PS3 with 15-20 retail games, all of them and my PS3 were bought in the US thanks to my cousin who lives there. Obviously that means I need to wait for her to come visit or someone from my family to go to the US, which could take quite a while.

Because of these prices I only buy exclusives on consoles. The rest I buy on PC. So I'm glad stores like Steam, GMG, GOG exist, not to mention humble bundles, which allow me to buy more games than I could otherwise.

Praise Gaben :p

Top Bottom