• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

So I played the first three chapters and I have to agree, Remedy did a fantastic job. Running everything maxed on my 955 quadcore and 5850. Runs silky smooth and looks incredible in the night scenes (would wish for a bit higher resolution textures sometimes but not an issue or anything). Game is great so far. Will we be seeing American Nightmare on PC? Any word on that? I'd be down.

Salsa

bump, just starting this.

With everything at max including AA i get a solid 60 with drops to as low as 53 in some dynamic light heavy parts. Any advice on what i should turn down a bit in order to get a steady always 60 without losing much visual flare?

derFeef

Hmmm maybe godray quality, as those don't matter that much if they are a bit blurry - and they are always ON compared to only a few scenes as in the 360 version. But I would suggest to take the few dips, as it's really fantastic looking with max settings. I have not finished it yet on PC :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
bump, just starting this.

With everything at max including AA i get a solid 60 with drops to as low as 53 in some dynamic light heavy parts. Any advice on what i should turn down a bit in order to get a steady always 60 without losing much visual flare?

Fiddle around with SSAO, Volumetric Light and God Ray quality.

Edit: b10.

Salsa

well godray is either High or Off

turned it off, nice boost. Missing much? not sure what it is exactly and i cant notice inside the diner

edit: according to a steam post these have no effect on night time and i was getting some bad stuttering on that opening scene, so i guess that will not solve it

Salsa

gtx 560ti/i5 2500k

turned off godrays and lowered AA to 4x and AF to 8x

still getting the ocasional hiccup but said to hell with it disabled fraps and grabbed a controller. Loving the game and it looks fantastic.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is there a way to start the game for the first time and play on nightmare difficulty? hard is not hard at all...

mclem

Wondering how representative the start of the game is for the game's performance in general; trying to tweak my settings to get a decent framerate on my laptop, and while I've got the start of the tutorial to run nicely, I've no idea if that'll continue throughout the game.

JaseC

Just got this game, any tips?

Not a tip per se, but if you're not exactly itching for more Alan Wake by the end, skip The Signal (which is, by virtue of the existence of The Writer, unnecessary), but do play through The Writer.

Darn this game.
I'm really not big on any kind of horror games but my brother made me play this as it is heavy on the thriller he said.

Anyway I'm on edge all the time and barely surviving at times (dieing a lot on other). I play this on PC, on normal and damn enemies are bullet sponges. Takes like 3 headshots to drop one.

So any tips? Other than that I love the story so far (am in chapter 2 omw to "Lovers Peak")

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Darn this game.
I'm really not big on any kind of horror games but my brother made me play this as it is heavy on the thriller he said.

Anyway I'm on edge all the time and barely surviving at times (dieing a lot on other). I play this on PC, on normal and damn enemies are bullet sponges. Takes like 3 headshots to drop one.

So any tips? Other than that I love the story so far (am in chapter 2 omw to "Lovers Peak")

Just run.

derFeef

Darn this game.

Are you sure you are burning the darkness away before shooting them? Normal Taken go down in 2-3 shots, bigger ones 5 or so. And headshots have no benefit ;)

Hello folks,
I played this one for a while, dieing and getting owned but somehow I kinda got better at killing Taken.
Anyway I'm on Andersons Farm right now (Old Gods of Asgard I believe) and just wonder how much do I have left now? I mean should I give it one last push before I have to go to sleep (working tomorrow) or there is still much left.

scitek

Help me out here guys. I just switched to an Nvidia GTX 670 from a Radeon 6950, and when I play the game at 1080p with just 4xMSAA, I'll get 80+FPS, then it seems like whenever the game streams some new data in, it'll drop into the 30s-40s and just stay there. If I go into the options and toggle vsync on and then off again, it'll shoot back to the 80s, then happen again. I've tried verifying the cache, and am running the latest beta drivers.

Dries

Wow, going from 2x AA to 4x AA cuts my fps from 40 to 30! Is it really that taxing? Is this normal? All other settings and sliders on max btw.

i5 2500k 3.3 ghz stock
ATI 6970 2 gig
8 GB ram
1920 x 1080

Edit: not really seeing a lot of difference between 2x AA and 4x AA on my res anyway...

I have a capable rig and I get 20 (night) to 30 (day) fps on the low setting. I checked the Remedy and Steam forums and couldn't find much other than suggestions to reinstall graphics card drivers and directx.

Eideka

Banned
I have a capable rig and I get 20 (night) to 30 (day) fps on the low setting. I checked the Remedy and Steam forums and couldn't find much other than suggestions to reinstall graphics card drivers and directx.

Specs ?

Wow, going from 2x AA to 4x AA cuts my fps from 45 to 30! Is it really that taxing? Is this normal? All other settings and sliders on max btw.
Even FXAA ? It's of no practical use if you already enabled MSAA.

But yeah MSAA is extremely demanding in AW. And it's strange that we can't disable MSAA completely and use FXAA instead.

Dries

Even FXAA ? It's of no practical use if you already enabled MSAA.

But yeah MSAA is extremely demanding in AW. And it's strange that we can't disable MSAA completely and use FXAA instead.

Yeah, got my FXAA turned to high as well, because when it's flicked off there's no notable fps increase (or decrease). So right now 4x AA will give me 30 fps overall. Sometimes it'll pop up to 40, but rarely goes beneath say 28.

scitek

Wow, going from 2x AA to 4x AA cuts my fps from 40 to 30! Is it really that taxing? Is this normal? All other settings and sliders on max btw.

i5 2500k 3.3 ghz stock
ATI 6970 2 gig
8 GB ram
1920 x 1080

Edit: not really seeing a lot of difference between 2x AA and 4x AA on my res anyway...

With those specs you should be able to get 40-50fps with 8xAA at 1080p. I had the same setup until recently.

JaseC

Help me out here guys. I just switched to an Nvidia GTX 670 from a Radeon 6950, and when I play the game at 1080p with just 4xMSAA, I'll get 80+FPS, then it seems like whenever the game streams some new data in, it'll drop into the 30s-40s and just stay there. If I go into the options and toggle vsync on and then off again, it'll shoot back to the 80s, then happen again. I've tried verifying the cache, and am running the latest beta drivers.

You may have fixed the issue by now, but perhaps it's a problem with nvidia's adaptive vsync?

scitek

You may have fixed the issue by now, but perhaps it's a problem with nvidia's adaptive vsync?

It was a driver issue, apparently. I rolled back from the 304.79 betas to 304.48 and it fixed it. Fixed some other issues with other games too.

Dries

With those specs you should be able to get 40-50fps with 8xAA at 1080p. I had the same setup until recently.

Eh what? You mean with everything else maxed too? 8x AA drops my fps in the 15-25 region... (everything else maxed) What's going on? I've only played the beginning nightmare sequence btw.

Eh what? You mean with everything else maxed too? 8x AA drops my fps in the 15-25 region... (everything else maxed) What's going on? I've only played the beginning nightmare sequence btw.

Not sure. I get 30-60 with the exact same setup and everything max. Check your CCC settings?

1-D_FTW

People weren't kidding about that camera. I literally cannot walk in a straight line using the mouse. Guess I'll have to play with a controller and hope there isn't too much shooting involved.

Revoh

I started playing this game today and it's making me very dizzy. How can I zoom out the camera? I already played with the FOV settings but to no avail.

derFeef

I started playing this game today and it's making me very dizzy. How can I zoom out the camera? I already played with the FOV settings but to no avail.

The higher the FOV slider the higher you are zoomed out. Are you playing with M+KB? This game is weird as it makes you run/walk not in a straight line somehow. Maybe try it with a controller, or try switching shoulders.

Revoh

The higher the FOV slider the higher you are zoomed out. Are you playing with M+KB? This game is weird as it makes you run/walk not in a straight line somehow. Maybe try it with a controller, or try switching shoulders.

Yeah, I was playing with M+KB, now that my DS3 is charged I will try it with it.
Same thing happened with HL2 a few years ago, but that was fixable by changing the fov value in the settings.

Top Bottom