• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Crappy: KOTOR 1&2

LastNac

Her wisdom wasn't wisdom, and making my character too stupid to respond to her didn't make it better. Forcing interpretations of events to be stupid so she can call them stupid is not a good meta-critique, either. It's an annoying and stupid gimmick that is utterly transparent and sacrifices player experience for a political statement to the industry. Fuck that, but even if going along with it, a lot of things she says are just her own paranoia and have no barring in reality. Nothing but her being a bitch to everyone.
And her reasons for being a bitch don't make her a deep character, just a stupid one who is bad at interpreting difficult realities she has faced and how to handle them.

Apathy is death, bro. Apathy is death.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is like saying that FF7 sucked donkey ass because you payed it last week and the game aged kinda badly.. like some one said earlier, sorry that you don't see the magic specially for when it came out... It's not entirely your fault.

Rufus

For the love of god I understand the combat mechanics with the timers and dice rolls. That changes absolutely nothing about how well it actually plays out.
Well, then it's simply not for you. I'm not head over heels over them combat either. You could make the argument that it isn't for anyone, but then you're opening a whole other can of worms not actually worth discussing because it's unlikely to illuminate anything interesting. In other words: so some people like to wear yellow jeans. Reprehensible.

It is what it is, the missing link between Infinity Engine D&D combat to Dragon Age 2. Now that was some proper action, eh? And there was Mass Effect as well, yeah. Arguably the more successful evolution, in the second iteration at least.

Yasae

Banned
Her wisdom wasn't wisdom, and making my character too stupid to respond to her didn't make it better. Forcing interpretations of events to be stupid so she can call them stupid is not a good meta-critique, either. It's an annoying and stupid gimmick that is utterly transparent and sacrifices player experience for a political statement to the industry. Fuck that, but even if going along with it, a lot of things she says are just her own paranoia and have no barring in reality. Nothing but her being a bitch to everyone.
And her reasons for being a bitch don't make her a deep character, just a stupid one who is bad at interpreting difficult realities she has faced and how to handle them.
If you don't fail those wisdom checks, she's the least bitchy character of the entire cast. Really. Compare a wisdom+ playthrough talking to Kreia with talking to Atton, or Handmaiden, or Visas etc. They bristle with defensiveness much more quickly - and partly because of that, they don't get along as well with her (save for Visas, but she's more neutral than anything).

peakish

So that would be three years after release. Gotcha.
FWIW I played it on release and thought it was quite boring myself. It was quite a large step down from the Baldur's Gate games and I could never get over that. Totally boring quests and combat. I definitely see where the OP is coming from.

I guess the plot twist and full VA was cool at the time, but on my first play through I dropped the game before that so I didn't get to see the former until like a year or so later when I gave it another shot, lol.

All this said, I can't agree on hating Kreia. It was a few years since I went through TSL but she and the more interesting takes on what the force can and can not do worked great for me at the time. Should go through it again some time soon.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you don't fail those wisdom checks
What do you mean by this? I haven't seen [Wisdom] options with her, and with the ridiculous ineffectiveness of some force powers, it is starting to seem (by what some of you say) like I need to try an 18WIS run, and probably pure light side to avoid how shitty/narrow their progression system is.

Trey

Just because you say it is stupid and bad does not make it so. The nuance of the argument is irrelevant, it is the inherent metric of the response which matters and what Kreia exists (partly) to undermine.

The "gimmick" here not only disparages the simple good/bad dichotomy WRPGs use for their morality system, but also the lore upon which the Sith and Jedi are built. Kreia breaks away from conventional Star Wars characterizations to deliver a multi-faceted focus for the rest of the KotOR cast to play off of. And Kreia does all this - assumes various roles throughout the story - while staying true to her theme (betrayal) and motive
(destroying the Force)

Additionally, player experience was not "sacrificed" in any way by Kreia, given that the Influence system complemented the morality system, to great effect in my opinion. Players were rewarded for paying attention to the story and personalities of the characters. Also, there were wisdom, persuade, intimidation, etc checks in dialog.

Trey

As far as combat goes, nothing is quite like using broken ass Force Lightning to clear entire rooms in two rounds.

prag16

Banned
Reading this thread is making me want to go back and play these games again...

KOTOR 1 is easily in my top 5 all-time. I played it on PC when it came out, and again around 5 years ago. It didn't age GREAT, but was still an awesome game.

KOTOR 2 was a tragedy in that it had the potential to be even better than KOTOR 1 in almost every way. But the bugs, rushjob, non-ending, etc.... And even then it is one of my favorite games (not top 5 like KOTOR 1, but close). But it could've been absolutely incredible... so many things were awesome ideas and kinda fell by the wayside due to the unfinished nature of the experience.

The storytelling is great. The twist in KOTOR1 is great (didn't see it coming back in the day; didn't know there was going to be a twist; had seen no spoilers; etc). The scene on the star forge with Bastila before the final confrontation gave me chills. The combat was okay (not great). Certainly not broken like the TC claims; not sure what he was doing..

Man. Love these games. I was *livid* when Bioware did a MMORPG instead of a proper KOTOR3 (played TOR enough to get through the main story and that was it... not nearly as good...).

Maybe now is a good time to try to check out the content restoration mod for KOTOR2 which I haven't done yet.

Yasae

Banned
So I never really heard anything bad about these games. Whenever they were mentioned, it was someone naming one or both of them as one of the best RPGs ever. They are often put high in rankings for top RPGs/games ever and spoken of as masterworks. I put off playing them for a long time, but then finally this past Christmas sale I picked them both up for $5 and now got around to giving them a go. So far this is what I have found:

-These are not some of the best games ever
-These are not some of the best RPGs ever
-These are not even good by my personal RPG stadards
-These are not even as good as what I think is standard for BioWare

As for combat, it is downright terrible. Through the interface it pretends to be tactical, but then you actually try to use tactics and it shits all over itself. Even if you cancel all of a character's actions to give them new actions, instead of doing them right away they will wait for 10 seconds, run off somewhere to do something pointless first, just run around randomly, ignore your command and engage someone closer, etc. If they do ever get around to what you said, the whole battle has changed and that command is no longer useful or relevant.

What that results in is pretty much battles that finish themselves while you are trying to make a different battle happen, that is, unless you accept that the whole system just blows ass and let it do its automated thing. The extra sad part is that this actually works and the game really doesn't seem to need much direction from you at all to finish itself. This manages to hurt the story pretty badly, as threats are non-threats. I haven't experimented with setting the difficulty as high as it can go, but I feel that might be more annoying than useful with the way it ignores my commands.

Then you have the shitty powers system and how you pretty much must go full light side or full dark side if you want anything to be effective. Try to be grey and you will get no benefits and force powers that almost never clear resistance checks. Go light side and your dark side powers will be ineffective as well as expensive. There is a definite only a binary choice here and that is not only shitty for making your own play style, but for going through the story.
Charisma affects bonuses towards light and dark side power usage. It's a shame you can't use certain restricted powers such as force heal if you're going dark side etc but neither side has large advantages over the other. (And if I'm off on what you use and can't use depending on your alignment, correct me. It's been awhile).

The concepts of light and dark side here seem to have absolutely nothing to do with how the concepts typically play out in personalities in other Star Wars media. There is little about patience and rashness, insight and seduction, endurance and elimination, etc. Light side is reduced to simply doing anything that only a decent person would do, and dark side is reduced to being an asshole for absolutely no reason. This does play out in events, but often most ridiculously in conversations. It's also sad that (to me) it often doesn't happen when you want it to, like telling Kreia to shut her condescending bitch face when she butts in to be rude to someone you're having a friendly conversation with.
Yeah, but she knows more than everyone on the ship combined. Cut her a little slack. Again, she's definitely not condescending towards characters with high wisdom who can match her wits. Towards "simpletons" she's pretty keen and that's a feature of her character. You're brushing over the character flaws of other NPCs a bit too much, but she's most present in the game and thus a continual dialogue landmine for those who wanted to be pure fighters. I see what you mean.

Jolee's sometimes a better example to follow. He's crusty and agitated, sometimes mirroring Kreia's soothsaying comeuppance, but he veers towards a lusty light-sider. That quality gelled with me and probably a lot of other KOTOR players. He's easier to get along with by a good margin.

The other points you mentioned I would almost completely agree with. The light/dark side options can get awfully comical and there's basically zero advantage to playing neutral throughout KOTOR. There is one perk to staying neutral in KOTOR 2, but it's only for story benefits. The Mass Effect games didn't change this formula much, though, and they generally gave you fewer options with which to solve a conflict: mean or righteous. The renegade quips in the latter two entries were a little more believable, though, yes.

Story/cutscenes: [...]Maybe, possibly, a long time ago when these games were released, cutscenes with voice acting was something of a novelty and that shocked people into thinking they were good. Really, I find most of the interactions with various characters incredibly bland, cutscenes or no. Having been waaay late to several other famous computer RPGs, I am finding these incredibly lacking on the interesting dialogue side, and on the cinematic/personality side they are obviously very lacking compared to nearly anything newer.

Mass Effect, and especially the second one, had real cinematic flair and character with personalities that seemed a lot more genuine, not just puppets parroting lines from a script emotionally removed from each other and the context of the situation and environment. This may be a limitation of technology, but playing stuff like Deus Ex and Bloodlines, I'm not so sure about that being an excuse to come off so dry. As I said, even text conversation RPGs have made much more compelling interactions. Still, Mass Effect has a similar universe and presentation concept, so it really shows.
Deus Ex (a game then 3 years older) and Bloodlines (released one year after) don't eclipse the KOTOR games in terms of presentation. I think more could have been done with the cutscenes and you see this grow quite a bit in the Mass Effect games, but those were half a decade out, and thus are extremely unfair comparisons.

Kreia's behind-your-back conversations, Malak's entrance, the Jedi academy training... Those were bad presentation?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't care if the OP likes the game or not. I just don't understand how comparing games that are sewn from the same thread makes any sense.
Mass Effect does it better. Um.. Yeah cause Mass Effect is successor of these game principals.
That's like complaining about something in the first Mario game and then comparing it to Mario Galaxy.

marrec

Banned
This is like saying that FF7 sucked donkey ass because you payed it last week and the game aged kinda badly.. like some one said earlier, sorry that you don't see the magic specially for when it came out... It's not entirely your fault.

Well, I think the expectations he puts on the combat mechanics is his fault, everything else is kinda up in the air.

Yasae

Banned
What do you mean by this? I haven't seen [Wisdom] options with her, and with the ridiculous ineffectiveness of some force powers, it is starting to seem (by what some of you say) like I need to try an 18WIS run, and probably pure light side to avoid how shitty/narrow their progression system is.
18 is usually what I start with on KOTOR 2, yeah. It's kind of in the vein of playing Malkavian in Bloodlines but doesn't change the experience quite as much. With dark side powers I want to say I went with... Drain life at level 9, not a good replacement for force heal, but it's something. In KOTOR 2 the dark side powers become considerably more powerful at higher levels; with light your best damage dealer is force push, and dark has force storm (Palpatine's raison d'etre). Trey's right, that shit is broken towards the end.

I never felt either to be particularly deficient in the first or second game since your party should round out your weaknesses.

emag

I don't care if the OP likes the game or not. I just don't understand how comparing games that are sewn from the same thread makes any sense.
Mass Effect does it better. Um.. Yeah cause Mass Effect is successor of these game principals.
That's like complaining about something in the first Mario game and then comparing it to Mario Galaxy.

The difference is that SMB (not to mention SMB3, SMW and YI) stands the test of time, despite the existence of Galaxy (and NSMB).

I enjoyed KotOR greatly, but it's aged very poorly (and combat was garbage even back in 2003).

BeesEight

HK-47 is better than most of the cast in KOTOR 2. I also am replaying KOTOR 2 right now and the intro in KOTOR 1 is leagues better than in 2. Like leagues better.

HK's a better character in 2 than he was in the first game, though I really dug the monkey's paw thing he had going on there. 'Sides, ain't no character from Kotor 1 even close to Kreia.

Well, I was going to respond to Jarmel but you basically said everything I was going to.

This may be true -- I'm no Star Wars expert. But if so, then what does the fact that the writing in KotOR 2 is much better and more nuanced than in 1 tell us about Star Wars writing?

Well, the prequels are Star Wars writing so...

That's not to say it was a bad game. Just a good game with some significant flaws.

Also, the age of an RPG should not be an excuse. If an RPG is truly great, it will stand the test of time.

I don't think this is entirely true. There are always going to be some things that will improve with time/technology. Deus Ex is considered one of the best RPGs but it's voice acting is atrocious. Likewise, KotOR has some game mechanics and controls that just won't compare on a technical level to later releases. One of the OPs gripes is the 'spectacle' of these games aren't as good as modern ones which, given the graphic and programing constraints of the time, is kind of a stupid statement to make. It's like complaining that black and white films aren't as good looking as modern films.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The difference is that SMB (not to mention SMB3, SMW and YI) stands the test of time, despite the existence of Galaxy (and NSMB).

I enjoyed KotOR greatly, but it's aged very poorly (and combat was garbage even back in 2003).

Just because it hasn't aged well doesn't mean it's garbage.
It's aged! - Yes you are correct.
I don't like it! - Ok that is fine.
It's garage and liking it is wrong. - Hmmmm

And isn't it fair to say that it is possible that the more complex a game is the more likely it may age poorly? So much of the game was dependent on visuals and how the player interacted with everything in the game. And all those features have evolved way past what these games offered.

I remember playing through abotu half of KOTOR 1 on the Xbox. It was ok. It just felt like they wanted to do Baldur's Gate in sci-fi. And then later when they made Mass Effect it was like they wanted to make Baldur's gate, in sci-fi and without a costly license.

charsace

KOTOR 2 has amazing writing for a video game. So even if you're mainly a fan of JRPG's KOTOR 2 is a game you should like.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sure. You are arguing semantics now.

But they sure aren't 'simultaneous actions'

It's not a semantic argument when "rounds" and "turns" don't mean the same thing.

Duxxy3

I love the OP.

Hated KOTOR when it came out, didn't see the appeal and still don't see the appeal of bioware games in general.

emag

And isn't it fair to say that it is possible that the more complex a game is the more likely it may age poorly? So much of the game was dependent on visuals and how the player interacted with everything in the game. And all those features have evolved way past what these games offered.

I wouldn't conflate visuals with complexity. There are numerous tactical, strategic, and fighting games games dating back to 1990s indisputably much more mechanically complex than KotOR that have aged better. Your own example -- that of Super Mario Bros. -- is a game tremendously more playable today than KotOR ever was.

In sum, KotOR was big on spectacle and short on gameplay. The bar on spectacle is constantly being raised -- the bar for gameplay, not so much.

I agree mostly with KoTOR 1... 2 actually had a lot of refinements in gameplay, including not making you wait nearly half the game to be a badass Jedi. The story in 2 also blew 1 away big time... if it wasn't for how horribly buggy it was it could really have been amongst my favorite RPGs, but it still tops my favorite Star Wars games.

Here's hoping Obsidian succeeds in making a new SW RPG!

i finished kotor 1 for the first time a few weeks ago, as i am on a quest to go back and play a lot of crpgs i had previously missed. i am not a star wars fan, so i cant comment on how well it represents the franchise or anything but i liked it a lot. many of the characters are really interesting. i had complained about the black and white decision making in mass effect, but seems to me it works better when the force has light and dark sides (though again, i know nothing about the subtleties here).

it does have the distinction of being the only game in history where saving health packs all game paid off
i guess i built a shitty main character. i was walking through the entire game, clearing rooms with my force powers easily, but had nothing to really damage the final boss or kill the guys he sucks life from. so i basically alternated between attacking him and taking a med pack until he fell. tedious and possibly my fault
but it may say something about the balance of the game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I played KOTOR way back when it was released, and about 20 hours of KOTOR 2. Found both of them pretty average and straight up boring at times. But I'm no big fan of Star Wars either, so that probably didn't help.
Perhaps I would like the games better if I played them a second time, but don't really have the time or patience to do so. And in that case, I would be more interested in trying out Jade Empire instead, even though I've heard some bad things about it.

Hero

I think the OP's feelings will be mirrored in a few years when people who haven't played a ME game finally do.

I agree about the choice system. It makes Jedi look like doormats of the universe. At that rate I'd always go sith, but those options aren't so hot either.

I didn't really feel like Mass Effect 2&3 were much better though. Especially one choice in 3, where you choose between two parties and can't go down the middle. It isn't moral, it's just Lord of the Rings level political stupidity. If I'm the saviour of the galaxy, I want my real choice. Destroy all the individuals who disagree with me, and leave the rest alone. Then trick them all into fighting for me by manipulating their hangups.

I'd like to add, I seldom see a video game girlfriend that any man with decent self esteem wouldn't have dumped before the story has a chance to put her in danger. Viewtiful Joe, Catherine, Infamous. ... the list goes on.

I didn't care for it at release on the Xbox, but I came to really enjoy the original Knights when I played it a few years ago on PC.

Hmmm, maybe I should give Jade Empire another go.

Loved the Kotors, not to long ago I went through another play through of the first on my original xbox. It had been a while since I'd last played it and I still had a great time. I always see posts about how it has poor frame rate but in my recent play through it seemed very stable. I do have the platinum hits version if that makes a difference.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
OP is pretty much correct. These flaws are especially glaring in the first game. Imo, the only reason the game was so beloved is because there really wasnt anything like it on consoles before so its basically "My First WRPG" syndrome. The sequel did a lot to fix these issues but some things like combat you can only spruce up so much without completely trashing and doing something completely different.

hongcha

KOTOR 1 is so good. I couldn't finish KOTOR 2 though. I think I played about 10 hours and just gave up. It wasn't nearly as fun.

KOTOR 1 is so good. I couldn't finish KOTOR 2 though. I think I played about 10 hours and just gave up. It wasn't nearly as fun.

And Obsidian did a wonderful job deconstructing Star Wars and creating the best female in a game I've ever seen.

The overarching story of KOTOR 2 is pretty compelling, but a lot of the moment-to-moment gameplay is pretty rough. I decided to replay it a few weeks ago now that the Restoration Project is complete, but I had to take a break after Nar Shadaa because of how uninteresting the locations and sidequests are. I'll likely go back and finish it at some point, but it's definitely more of a slog than I remember.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The overarching story of KOTOR 2 is pretty compelling, but a lot of the moment-to-moment gameplay is pretty rough. I decided to replay it a few weeks ago now that the Restoration Project is complete, but I had to take a break after Nar Shadaa because of how uninteresting the locations and sidequests are. I'll likely go back and finish it at some point, but it's definitely more of a slog than I remember.

Possibly due to the Restoration Project. There was a lot of cut material that was re-instated. Some of these areas were cut for a reason.

Top Bottom