• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheSpoiler
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:00 AM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar
Another thing I don't like is the settlement. For a game that added so much in that regard, there isn't THAT much new content beyond playing with radiated Legos.

Like, they put all that effort into those who want to build, but the other elements of the game didn't feel as fleshed out. Indoor level still felt pretty same-y, and there isn't much interaction with you and the world. The Kid In The Fridge thing where you shoot the door off would be nice in every quest.

Originally Posted by Pillville

There are plenty of places for your opinions, but I don't think each one deserves a thread.

What you think is different from the rules of the forum. Sorry.

Edit: Oh he's banned. Oops.

Originally Posted by IceDoesntHelp

You're just picky.

Or he knows what he likes and doesn't like and explains it in vivid detail.

It's hard to say someone's being picky when they explain their points so thoroughly.
Disaster Nebraska
Banned
(01-06-2016, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by tuxfool

How has he not starved after 200 years? How is he not Feral? Why does he just shrug it off like he was there for 5 minutes? Why is he not surprised that the world has changed so much around him?

Just a small subset of questions that floated in my mind when I first met him.

LOL yeah. If this is the "average" quest players can expect, I will just skip the game entirely.

Also, when I heard "ur baby got stole breh" was the impetus for your journey, I couldn't help but look up plot spoilers to see if the son was inevitably a key NPC and the player would be faced with the difficult decision of siding with their child that they never raised or go with a faction that was "true justice".

When I learned that I was more or less correct, I simply laughed. Fable 2 Dog levels of terrible.
On Demand
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:01 AM)
On Demand's Avatar
I didn't like it at first but after awhile it gets better. The exploration is definitely the most fun part of the game and surpasses Fallout 3 in that aspect. I keep trying to get into the settlements but i don't see any point in doing them.

Worst part is the downgrade in dialog and perk system. Don't know what made them think a voiced character and 2nd grade dialog options were a good idea.
Psychoward
Banned
(01-06-2016, 04:02 AM)

Originally Posted by tuxfool

How has he not starved after 200 years? How is he not Feral? Why does he just shrug it off like he was there for 5 minutes? Why is he not surprised that the world has changed so much around him?



Just a small subset of questions that floated in my mind when I first met him.

Why do the raiders want the ghouls? Why do they want the kid if nobody noticed him in the fridge for 200 years? How do they even know a kid is in there? Why would the ghoul family believe the raiders are magically gone if you lied to them?
Laughing Banana
Weeping Pickle
(01-06-2016, 04:04 AM)
Laughing Banana's Avatar
The inability to roleplay as an evil bastard easily translate as the biggest Fallout 4 disappointment for me. And the world, as you have described with Danse not commenting on your various acts, is really not reactive enough to your supposed "freedom to not do anything."

The jarring "took-me-out-of-the-immersiveness" moments are so plentiful regarding to the believability and the roleplaying aspect as the game: the stupid "nice family" background that severely limits your roleplaying scope if you don't want a narrative disconnect (as is the fact that you basically have to choose the Male PC), the fact that your character can immediately call someone by their name even though he/she never meet that person in his/her life (fucking stupid), the lack of reactive response to your actions in this world, etc etc etc etc etc.

It's a good game, but really not a good RPG game. At least not a good RPG in that you really can't roleplay unless you're willing to have a severe narrative disconnect. It's like a JRPG; and indeed I tend to enjoy it more if I treated it like a JRPG, in the way that there's only really one linear way to play in order to make sense (as a "good guy") and that all of the "choices" you're presented for really do not represent anything beyond false sense of a dynamic world while the truth everything is just really static.

Although in all honestly I also for some reason cannot stand to play Witcher 3 for long periods of time as well... it just doesn't do anything for me, although I guess I am not giving it a really fair chance.
human onion
Banned
(01-06-2016, 04:04 AM)
Haven't played it, but Jeff Gerstmann's 'It's the same shit' line is enough to make me stay far away. On top of that, it's barely an RPG, but that was expected I guess. Skyrim was enough Bethesda for me, and even that needed mods to get more playtime out of me.

If you're willing to give up a good deal of roleplaying and 'immersion', then Underrail is a suitable replacement.
tuxfool
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by TheSpoiler

Like, they put all that effort into those who want to build, but the other elements of the game didn't feel as fleshed out. Indoor level still felt pretty same-y, and there isn't much interaction with you and the world. The Kid In The Fridge thing where you shoot the door off would be nice in every quest.

Fairly sure the Fridge thing is scripted specifically.

Had I known how that quest would have turned out I'd have just carried on walking.
Sou Da
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:07 AM)
Sou Da's Avatar
The Borderlands style fantasy guns and armor crafting really sucks coming from a mod system that tried to be logical.
d1rtn4p
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:08 AM)
d1rtn4p's Avatar
My GOTY. Even bad Fallout is better than most of the games out there.
tuxfool
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Sou Da

The Borderlands style fantasy guns and armor crafting really sucks coming from a mod system that tried to be logical.

Down with logic. Bethesda games are all about creating systemic rules that represent the world.

Except when they don't feel like it.
Alvarez
Banned
(01-06-2016, 04:12 AM)
I think I have 50+ hours spent just messing around with the (modded) settlements in Fallout 4. Going into the game, I didn't think I would care about settlements at all.

Exploring is also pretty awesome, especially now that you actually need junk for the settlements.

What disappointed me about FO4 was the quests. The main story was very lackluster and the sidequests have never sounded so boring. It didn't help that the boring sidequests were drowning in a sea of intolerable Radiant Quests.

The sidequests in Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV were intriguing. The sidequests in FO4 are predictable, uninspired busywork.

I also didn't like that I had zero control over my character's actions/dialogue. INSTITUTE SPOILERS: I was the fucking DIRECTOR of the Institute and my dad still forced me to kill a bunch of people for NO REASON! Come on, Bethesda. What an embarrassment.

So yeah, enjoyable game, but it could have been so much more.

Originally Posted by d1rtn4p

Even bad Fallout is better than most of the games out there.

Sad but true.
Haunted
(01-06-2016, 04:12 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by tuxfool

Posting Kid in a Fridge.

After FO4 I felt worse than the kid.

this and the minecraft bits will be fallout 4's lasting legacy


and that's just super sad
Copper
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:13 AM)
Copper's Avatar
It's an alright game at best. The problem is they didn't improve enough over the previous game (FO3). The game is dated, they really needed to make this game on a new engine.
TheSpoiler
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:14 AM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laughing Banana

The inability to roleplay as an evil bastard easily translate as the biggest Fallout 4 disappointment for me. And the world, as you have described with Danse not commenting on your various acts, is really not reactive enough to your supposed "freedom to not do anything."

The jarring "took-me-out-of-the-immersiveness" moments are so plentiful regarding to the believability and the roleplaying aspect as the game: the stupid "nice family" background that severely limits your roleplaying scope if you don't want a narrative disconnect (as is the fact that you basically have to choose the Male PC), the fact that your character can immediately call someone by their name even though he/she never meet that person in his/her life (fucking stupid), the lack of reactive response to your actions in this world, etc etc etc etc etc.

It's a good game, but really not a good RPG game. At least not a good RPG in that you really can't roleplay unless you're willing to have a severe narrative disconnect. It's like a JRPG; and indeed I tend to enjoy it more if I treated it like a JRPG, in the way that there's only really one linear way to play in order to make sense (as a "good guy") and that all of the "choices" you're presented for really do not represent anything beyond false sense of a dynamic world while the truth everything is just really static.

Although in all honestly I also for some reason cannot stand to play Witcher 3 for long periods of time as well... it just doesn't do anything for me, although I guess I am not giving it a really fair chance.

Get out of my damn head, Charles!

I loved being an evil dickhead in the other games. They'd recognize your deeds and reward you for them.

There's a mission in 4 that stands out to me in particular. It comes fairly early by a diner, with a standoff between a chem dealer and his bodyguard versus a mother and her son who's in debt. I roll up thinking, hey, this'll be fun!

Turns out you can either calm them down and have not one person die, kill the family and have the chem dealer as a shop owner, kill the chem dealer and have the family as a shop owner, or kill them all and get nothing. What sucks is that the son has an addiction you can't exploit, so there's this cool thing the game keeps mentioning that you have literally no input on. To add to this, the quest is basic as hell.

Originally Posted by tuxfool

Fairly sure the Fridge thing is scripted specifically.

Had I known how that quest would have turned out I'd have just carried on walking.

I'd take those scripted segments still. Even if they operate in that format. Anything to make these quests stand out more.

But I guess it wouldn't save the overall quality. The actual quest is dumb and boring as hell.
Rushersauce
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:14 AM)
Rushersauce's Avatar

Originally Posted by PsychoWARD23

Why do the raiders want the ghouls? Why do they want the kid if nobody noticed him in the fridge for 200 years? How do they even know a kid is in there? Why would the ghoul family believe the raiders are magically gone if you lied to them?

Why the fuck does the ghoul family lives right next to a Mercenary settlement?

F4 is a disgrace with the Fallout name on it. A real shame
henhowc
(01-06-2016, 04:15 AM)
henhowc's Avatar
Thread makes me want to stop and just move on to life is strange

I just got to diamond city. Does the story start to pickup? So far I've just been Minutemen and bos errand boy. Lol
TheSpoiler
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:16 AM)
TheSpoiler's Avatar

Originally Posted by henhowc

Thread makes me want to stop and just move on to life is strange

I just got to diamond city. Does the story start to pickup? So far I've just been Minutemen and bos errand boy. Lol

What you see the first ten hours or so is about what you should expect from the rest of the game. That goes for quests and probably how much fun you are having. Take of that what you will.
psychotron
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:16 AM)
psychotron's Avatar
Agree with many complaints, but I still love the game. Could it use updating in several areas? Sure. I've still put in at least 40 hours so far with plenty to go. That's worth my $60.
KingHenrik30
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:18 AM)
KingHenrik30's Avatar
I agree with the complaint about the factions. I found none of them likable.
rezn0r
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:22 AM)
rezn0r's Avatar
I'm sorry to admit that I probably agree, I'm getting near the end of 100%ing the trophies and I just want it over with. I'm from Boston too, so the setting was really cool for me... had it not had the setting, I think I'd be seriously let down even more.

I guess the bright side of things is that it has motivated me to go back and do everything in Vegas that I didn't do.
Dutch Microwave
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:30 AM)
Dutch Microwave's Avatar
I think after ~300-350 hours spent on diff characters I can say I've fairly enjoyed the game *steamreview.jpeg* but can't deny that they've actually taken steps back in some aspects from 3.

Story is whatever,I don't think the story twists were inherently bad,it was all about the execution,personally I think it's better than 3 was but obviously still a far cry from New Vegas and the clusterfuck you could cause by the end with the various factions.

The new leveling system I don't have much of a problem with because in 3/NV you could just go for cookie-cutter INT build and max out your skills by the time you reached 60-75% of the max level,you become op either way and even if there isnt a max lvl here in theory,youll have to resort to farming to actually max out everything.Now with DLC,that might actually become a problem,I wonder how are they gonna handle difficulty in those.

I have no idea why the hell did they want to ape Bioware with the dialogue system,but even then they just basically copied the 1.0 version of their system which even Bioware realized was bad and improved upon years ago because the options presented were so ambiguous it was like taking a gamble every time you answered.This is exactly why they've implemented those faces to convey the tone of the choices and stopped using 3 words to describe them and yet Bethesda completely ignored these simple but useful additions.
They should've just stick to the old dialogue list no matter how "clunky" and un-cinematic it looked because I think most people would sooner overlook the fact they're staring at a huge UI than reloading a save because the "sarcastic" answer was actually a sarcastic no and not a sarcastic yes or whatever.Not that it actually mattered much because...

the lack of choice in handling the quests was actually surprising (even more so on my 2nd playthrough),it was a huge step back even from Fallout 3.Most of the choices are basically about whether you actually take the quests or not,9 out of 10 times you have no options in how you wanna tackle the tasks other than killing everything in sight or you have a small choice at the very end where you can screw over someone,you end up killing someone else for a diff reward but thats it.Then again I wonder just exactly how many people out of the general audience are gonna replay a 40+ hour rpg just to see different outcomes.Think it was actually one of the Obsidian devs that said writing doesnt actually matter all that much to the average consumer which is a shame but there it is.

The lack of skill system for quests a la New Vegas could've been easily replaced if they tied some dialogue/quest options to the perks/special system instead and its obvious that they DID actually start doing just that (USS Constitution questline) but soon scrapped the whole idea for some reason.

I am okay with the decision to add VO to player characters in principle,I really like Courtenay Taylor as well but the thing is if companies decide to put VO into rpgs,they actually have to be ready for the consequences and all the extra work it entails in order to keep the amount of dialogue choices on at the very least an even level with previous entries otherwise its not worth the effort imo.

The settlements are entirely optional with the exception of that Sanctuary tutorial and a lot of people probably dont know that theres an entire manual in-game under HELP? I think.Personally when I first saw this addition I thought it was gonna be a tower defense-like game essentially but out of 300 hours I think I was attacked like ~25 times,I dont know if its bugged or what but it was hardly worth the effort to pimp out all those towns.Guess this is something mods will make way better though so I'm looking forward to that.

Overall I was happy we finally got more Fallout and its probably the game I had most fun with this year,mostly because I don't really like Geralt's personality and prefer created characters but it's definately disappointing as an rpg with roots in such a good franchise.
blame space
King of Members with nice chair, nice beard, nice wall hooks, broken TV, clean phone, and a red username.
(01-06-2016, 04:32 AM)
blame space's Avatar
love this game, the role-playing is really good.
depths20XX
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:39 AM)
depths20XX's Avatar
Bethesda been on a downhill crawl since after Morrowind. They don't care about role playing mechanics.

Now it's all about head shots and collar duties.
epmode
Member
(01-06-2016, 04:47 AM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by tuxfool

Posting Kid in a Fridge.

After FO4 I felt worse than the kid.

That's an actual quest? Ew.
Currygan
at last, for christ's sake
(01-06-2016, 04:53 AM)
Currygan's Avatar
I wanted a Fallout 3 part 2, it's what i got. Super satisfied

also, the Glowing Sea part left me speechless, honestly. A truly alien world + horror, dripping atmosphere and dread. Amazing
silvermember
Banned
(01-06-2016, 04:59 AM)

Originally Posted by d1rtn4p

My GOTY. Even bad Fallout is better than most of the games out there.

Yes, cellphone games. At least they don't pretend to have a coherent story, quest structure or even combat, animate etc. They are at least self aware of their low quality. Fallout 4 is like person who is a 5 but acts like they are an 8 because they are rich and popular and they know people will ignore that fact due to their wealth.
Solid Samus
Banned
(01-06-2016, 05:14 AM)
Solid Samus's Avatar
Fallout 4 is an immense disappointment by pretty much every metric that I value from a Fallout game. I've tried modding it and giving it another shot but I'm pretty done with it. It's gonna need some seriously significant overhauling to salvage the way I see it.
BizzyBum
Member
(01-06-2016, 05:15 AM)
BizzyBum's Avatar

Originally Posted by tuxfool

How has he not starved after 200 years? How is he not Feral? Why does he just shrug it off like he was there for 5 minutes? Why is he not surprised that the world has changed so much around him?



Just a small subset of questions that floated in my mind when I first met him.

I laughed when his parents are of course ghouls and still alive, and living in their same house, and apparently standing in the kitchen awaiting his return. Pretty weak response after not seeing your kid for 200 years. Also the mom sounds like Marge Simpson.
napalmjam
Member
(01-06-2016, 05:45 AM)
napalmjam's Avatar

Originally Posted by Currygan

I wanted a Fallout 3 part 2, it's what i got. Super satisfied

also, the Glowing Sea part left me speechless, honestly. A truly alien world + horror, dripping atmosphere and dread. Amazing

This is what I wanted as well and it delivered excellent game
rezn0r
Member
(01-06-2016, 05:46 AM)
rezn0r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Currygan

I wanted a Fallout 3 part 2, it's what i got. Super satisfied

also, the Glowing Sea part left me speechless, honestly. A truly alien world + horror, dripping atmosphere and dread. Amazing

I do have to agree with this, I avoided getting that part spoiled for me and it was really incredible when I headed there.
Omnii-chan
Member
(01-06-2016, 05:49 AM)
Omnii-chan's Avatar
Sounds like a negative Nelly.
I looked past all that stuff and had fun.
Hell, I often laugh at stuff like Dogmeat triggering a mine in my face.
apieceofstrange
Member
(01-06-2016, 05:51 AM)
apieceofstrange's Avatar
I put around 10 hours into it over the first 2 weeks and haven't played again since. Huge disappointment because 3 and NV were among my favorite games last gen. This one felt completely underwhelming and uninteresting from the start. I even bought the season pass because I was so convinced it would be a sure thing. Maybe my tastes have changed since NV or my tolerance for BS in games has gone down, but it just didn't seem deserving of my time.
ship it
Member
(01-06-2016, 05:56 AM)
ship it's Avatar
its been a while since I agreed so much with the first post. there is so much immersion breaking shit in the game that all the systems and stuff really doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by Omnii-chan

Sounds like a negative Nelly.
I looked past all that stuff and had fun.
Hell, I often laugh at stuff like Dogmeat triggering a mine in my face.

you sound like you are too tolerant of low quality (positive polly?)
Krabboss
Member
(01-06-2016, 06:10 AM)
Krabboss's Avatar
I don't know how you could be disappointed by the game when expectations going into it should have been almost nil.
Psychoward
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:14 AM)

Originally Posted by apieceofstrange

I put around 10 hours into it over the first 2 weeks and haven't played again since. Huge disappointment because 3 and NV were among my favorite games last gen. This one felt completely underwhelming and uninteresting from the start. I even bought the season pass because I was so convinced it would be a sure thing. Maybe my tastes have changed since NV or my tolerance for BS in games has gone down, but it just didn't seem deserving of my time.

NV and 3 and 4 were different developers. I thought 3 was decent before NV but after NV showed how much better a 3D Fallout could be I disliked 3 even more.
JohnnyFootball
The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
(01-06-2016, 06:21 AM)
JohnnyFootball's Avatar
The only thing I truly hated and I mean hated was the damn grenade spam....
thefatness16
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:23 AM)
I wasn't expecting much, since I'm over Bethesda games, but this game is definitely Bethesda's weakest effort so far. I really hope they overhaul their formula for the next Elder Scrolls, but they make to much money to give a shit.
blame space
King of Members with nice chair, nice beard, nice wall hooks, broken TV, clean phone, and a red username.
(01-06-2016, 06:25 AM)
blame space's Avatar
I wish you could still throw grenades in VATS because they're impossible to predict.
Aces&Eights
Member
(01-06-2016, 06:29 AM)
Aces&Eights's Avatar
I knew what to expect going in and got, for the most part, my understood Bethesda RPG. Each year that passes and I see other games breaking new ground and really ramping stuff up but Bethesda just sticks with the "you can do anything at anytime" stuff and that's fine, but it is growing a bit stale for me.

I put in about 100 hours and near the end but got serious Fallout 4 fatigue. I've been using the same gun I got early on and ballistic weave makes me a God. I don't need to take cover, hide, isolate a threat, just walk in guns blazing and, well, for nothing. I've pretty much got the best stuff.

So, on the one hand I can't get too mad because 100 hours of fun in a game is a great value but on the other hand, I wish they would ramp up their quests and enemy varieties. When you are a level 20 and can pretty much take everything down in a few taps of the Overseers Guardian then something is wrong. I don't want enemy leveling but why they don't make "zones" that have unique enemies that all have different levels of power/strength is beyond me. A few death claws here and there doesn't cut it. The glowing sea was a bit like tht but so short. I want to be too scared of even thinking of going into a town until I'm way up the level tree and have NEW weapons.

I hope they mix it up for the next ES but I don't think they will.
xamidoxhua
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:31 AM)
My biggest disappointment was you can't actually be an evil asshole. The male voice actor's delivery of the asshole options is weak and sounds like he regrets everything he says. I like to play these games as a completely evil bastard, like I did in Fallout 3, but this makes me feel like my character is just a sulky emo.
henhowc
(01-06-2016, 06:32 AM)
henhowc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Krabboss

I don't know how you could be disappointed by the game when expectations going into it should have been almost nil.

? thought people were pretty hyped following the reveal
Alvarez
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:33 AM)

Originally Posted by blame space

I wish you could still throw grenades in VATS because they're impossible to predict.

Throw the grenade, enter VATS and shoot the grenade.
Trace
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:34 AM)
I thought mechanically FO4 is the best Fallout yet. World design is also fantastic.

However the quest and story is godawful, I don't know what they were thinking with that one.
danm999
Member
(01-06-2016, 06:37 AM)
danm999's Avatar

Originally Posted by tuxfool

Posting Kid in a Fridge.

After FO4 I felt worse than the kid.

Yeah this really summarises for me Bethesda's writing and quest design. I can't tell whether they were going for absurdly comedic, flat out unbelievable or gritty here but the tone is all over the place.

And I don't like it.
johnnydrama
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:38 AM)
Biggest disappointment of 2015 for me, and I wasn't even looking forward to it that much.
wonzo
Banned
(01-06-2016, 06:43 AM)
wonzo's Avatar

Originally Posted by tuxfool

Posting Kid in a Fridge.

After FO4 I felt worse than the kid.

lmfao
Fjordson
Member
(01-06-2016, 06:44 AM)
Fjordson's Avatar
I'm having a lot of fun with it overall. I think it's better than Fallout 3 or New Vegas mechanically. But it certainly has some issues.

The story stuff is indeed a bit disappointing. There are still some good side quests, but the main plot and how they handle the factions becomes a problem as you get deeper into the game. I think the combat is good and the world was really fun to explore, the design there is great imo. The look and feel of the Commonwealth makes it a really neat setting. It's just the structure of the plot and how Bethesda handles factions is a mess.

I also agree on the dialogue. No reason to not show your character's entire statement.
RPGam3r
Member
(01-06-2016, 06:47 AM)
RPGam3r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fjordson


I also agree on the dialogue. No reason to not show your character's entire statement.

While I think the dialog system needs help, I sure as hell don't want to read everything that is about to be said. I assume this is why Mass Effect is this way.
BigTnaples
Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
(01-06-2016, 06:53 AM)
BigTnaples's Avatar
Meh. I think the game is fucking amazing.



To each their own.
Orochinagis
Member
(01-06-2016, 06:54 AM)
Orochinagis's Avatar
I guess I should go directly to the main quest........

Thread Tools