• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

DNAbro

The key word here is "divisive."

Open Critic - 83
Metacritic - 79

Destructoid - 100
One week isn't enough to really understand everything about this game. The campaign is complete, but there is much still to do with the post-game content, trophies and what I can only assume are many more mysteries I can solve. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is not a game you should just read about or watch a Let's Play of on YouTube. It's a game that absolutely demands 40 hours or more of your time. You must experience it first-hand if you truly want to understand what Team Danganronpa is trying to tell us.

Dualshockers - 95

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is by far the best sequel to a video game series that I have ever played.

Game Revoultion - 90

There's no doubt that Danganronpa V3 has its issues, the localization and forced message to name a few. Despite my gripes with those, I can't help but be amazed by its story, characters, and cases. Above all else, V3 is the highest point for the series. Though it is certain to be polarizing and divisive among its fanbase, it comes just inches short of being a masterpiece in my book.

Polygon - 80

Danganronpa V3 is one-of-a-kind. It got me attached to characters within minutes before ripping out my heart. It twisted and turned in every direction, and there was always something new and even more terrifying on the way, leaving me little time to mourn my fallen friends. This may be a game that's mostly about reading text, but it still managed to make my heart race.

Game Informer - 70

The mysteries of Danganronpa V3 may not offer the same rewarding highs as previous entries, but the core formula remains entertaining despite some missteps. I still had fun piecing together the murders and learning about the characters, which is enough to help V3 earn its passing grade, though it isn't graduating with honors.

RPG Site - 60

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is destined to be a title the fans are going to be split over. The game has a very clear message it wants to rub off on the player, and it's the sort of thing you're going to have to mull over for a while to determine whether or not it earns its thesis. For me, it all just felt like desperation laced with fatigue. When the game wasn't dragging me through incredibly long-winded exposition and plot bits, it was disappointing me with the direction the story took. If Spike Chunsoft wanted me to get a sense of closure from the series, they may have succeeded, because I'm not sure I'm up for another one

Anime News Network - A
I'll be blunt: the finale to Danganronpa V3 is going to cause an absolute uproar, a wildfire in Danganronpa fandom that might not die down for a long time. It stands among the most ballsy conclusions to a franchise I have ever seen in any medium. (That's not to say Danganronpa as a whole will end with V3, but it certainly could.) It is so outrageous that I had to break my own personal policy of not writing in first person to tell you how outrageous it is. I know that sounds hyperbolic, so I wish I could defend this assertion with more concrete details, but I couldn't bear to do so. This ending is so important to how you will personally process everything leading up to it that spoilers will ruin Danganronpa V3 for you. Now I'm a firm believer that spoilers can't ruin most good stories, even the twist-driven mysteries spun by Danganronpa 1 and 2. The journey matters more than the destination, spoilers are overemphasized in entertainment discourse, blah blah blah, but no, this is a rare exception: Spoilers Will Ruin Danganronpa V3 For You. I know the curiosity can be overwhelming with this much hype, but you might not be able to even enjoy this game if you know how it ends early on, so avoid as much information as possible.

I'll add more in a bit.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
That's the one thing I can hearing coming up. The game is very divisive. I'm dying to see what that means. Hope I don't regret it.

This game is going to be extremely divisive. Known that since it came out in Japan. I'm excited. Hopefully Kodaka got his terrible writing fill out with DR3

NotLiquid

I've been hearing fans go as far as to say they thought the game was amazing until late game where it falls apart harder than even ZTD and made the entire game worse off. Conversely a friend of my friend said the game made them cry.

I'm kind of scared about this.

mankoto

I agree with that RPGSite quote. It beat it Sunday night and that ending put me through the 5 stages of grief. If the ending was anything but what it was some of these scores would definitely be higher.

The ending part of DR2 is really close to the ending parts of MGS2 to me so I wonder what could be more controversial and splitting then that. fwiw I think Danganronpa 2 is excellent.

I'm pretty excited.

Syrinx

Pre-ordered this yesterday. Not expecting to like it as much as the first two but I could certainly use my murder Insanity fix.

Orb

I have a few friends who watched videos of the JP release, and the one thing they told me soured me on the game immediately. Its super early, too.

I love some of the characters already from the demo, especially Miu Iruma, but that one spoiler has me hesitant.

mankoto

So they blocked streaming like Persona 5 did?

For now yes.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR STREAMERS AND CONTENT CREATORS:
· The PS4 and PSVita broadcasting will only allow players to stream Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony up until the first trial in Chapter One.
·
Once you reach the first trial, broadcasting will be blocked automatically. This is to avoid any spoilers.
·
Those who will try to stream it or provide video content past chapter one will be taken down by Spike Chunsoft.
·
We will provide updates in the future regarding the possibility of streaming and providing video content past the first trial in Chapter One.

Kalor

I'm curious to find out whatever is so divisive about it. Been seeing comments like that since the original release. Also the localisation comment is disappointing. The previous two games had good localisations so I was hoping it would continue to that standard.

preta

I'm particularly interested in hearing about the localization, considering the absolutely insane method they were using.

mindatlarge

Destructoid - 100

One week isn’t enough to really understand everything about this game. The campaign is complete, but there is much still to do with the post-game content, trophies and what I can only assume are many more mysteries I can solve. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is not a game you should just read about or watch a Let’s Play of on YouTube. It’s a game that absolutely demands 40 hours or more of your time. You must experience it first-hand if you truly want to understand what Team Danganronpa is trying to tell us.

emag

"desperation laced with fatigue"

Weary Despair

For now yes.

Atlus's blocking of Let's Plays isn't going to make me play the game for myself. Nice try, though. The minigames and pacing of DR1&2 were a dumpster fire, and the V3 demo was just as bad.

ZTD is asscheeks and it's hard to find people who disagree.

VLR is more of a divisive game.

Right now, ZTD has a higher Metacritic (and equal Opencritic) score than V3.

NSESN

I just want my courtroom game fix since DGS will never leave japan. So as long it at least as good as PW vs Layton it is fine.

Yeah, I've heard the game is divisive when it came out in Japan, but I've been keeping myself away for spoilers.

Still got it pre-ordered via the Vita version

My site (Hey Poor Player) gave it a perfect score.

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is the culmination of both the franchise’s greatest strengths and flaws. Each class trial builds upon the rock-solid foundation of its predecessors, changing the formula just enough to keep players on the edge of their seats. If you think that Danganronpa V3 just looks like more of the same, the only thing I can tell you is: No, that’s wrong!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
"desperation laced with fatigue"

Weary Despair

Atlus's blocking of Let's Plays isn't going to make me buy the game. Nice try, though.

Right now, ZTD has a higher Metacritic (and equal Opencritic) score than V3.
ZTD getting good reviews is a bigger mystery than anything this or any other Danganronpa game could possibly throw at us. Game was garbage. Not only was ZTD bad. It even somehow managed to retroactively make Virtues Last Reward worse.

Torokil

I'm still in. The final chapters in the Danganronpa games aren't all that great, for me its all about the cases.

AniHawk

The huge disparity in review scores and impressions just makes me more excited lol
i am actually a bit surprised to see such a spread. usgamer was really up on it but game informer was more lukewarm. then you have rpgsite and destructoid coming away with wildly different experiences.

Top Bottom