• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This site is full of lies. For example, it told me that Kairo is 3-4 hours long, I've played somewhere around 5 hours, I don't see the ending in sight, so to speak, not that I mind it, I happen to like it more than I thought I would.
I checked some others and compared with my play times, it doesn't compute. It must be said, that if I like the game, I take my time to explore it thoroughly and not to miss any juicy details, so my playtimes are longer usually, but still. For example it says that Skyborn full playtime is 9 hours, that's bullshit, seriously. I'm 100% sure that I missed some stuff as I backtracked very little, and later I passed no return point without noticing it and thought wth and just finished it promptly after that, my timer says 15 hours, granted I leave games sometimes to post or for other reasons and I forget I left them, but still, I simply don't believe that it can be fully finished with all side stuff in 9 hours.
And so on and so on.
Some more popular games are evaluated in playtimes more or less fairly, especially longer ones. So it's not all bad, just has to be my luck that I stumbled on those that are questionable.

Yeah, howlongtobeat.com is filled with times all over the place in terms of reliability. It's even worse for me since I take a very long time to finish most games, especially RPGs. HLTB's times are more of a wild estimate than anything, other than games that are highly popular since more users provide times in order to get an average closer to the real average.

C4rter

Either hit the "Install" button from a web browser (not Steam itself; may have no effect) or opt out of the beta client (will definitely work).

So it's a Steam Beta issue? I'm using the Beta.
If I hit the "Install" Button from a web-browser, they just offer me to download Steam.

I think I'll opt out of Beta, try to add it to my game list with the regular version, and opt back in.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I hope this will make someone happy. I know how much GAF loves Dark Souls :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls II Season Pass -- MB-A15751B92E2304F2 - Taken by Cloudius12. 73 entrants total.

t1401994338z1.png

Arthea

The site operates 100% on user-submitted input. Some game times are more accurate than others, simply because they have more users that have submitted their own times.

The best way to improve the site is to submit your own times when you complete a game.

100%? Oh, I thought they get some estimated of times from devs. I should have researched it better. Now it all makes sense! I might even register in there, to do just that, to add some realism to some of those times. (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to buy mafia 2 from amazon.com. its on sale for $7.49 now

In the description it says the key will only work in north america. Is that true or do they just write that to scare us europeans off from buying ?

A couple of 2K games on Amazon are region-locked and Mafia 2 is one of them.

6799 Mafia II Amazon Retail said:
AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries Yes
PurchaseRestrictedCountries US CA PR MX

The way AllowPurchaseRestrictedCountries works is:

No = users in the listed countries cannot redeem a key (i.e. everybody else can)
Yes = users in the listed countries can redeem a key (i.e. everybody else can't)

Obviously you can get around this with a VPN.

I just hit 700 games so have some stuff.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cognition Episode 4: The Cain Killer -- MB-2F6F5C62D6771E35 - Taken by Sub Zero. 3 entrants total.
GEARCRACK Arena -- MB-A9478D89974A8959 - Taken by JakeD. 5 entrants total.
Survivor Squad -- MB-B7D5B7CA3513D985 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 3 entrants total.
Rock of Ages -- MB-F44321CF09304D3D - Taken by sprinkles. 3 entrants total.
Syberia II -- MB-A635DBC34EC83348 - Taken by someguyinahat. 3 entrants total.
Cognition Episode 3: The Oracle -- MB-C844D4DE9965C367 - Taken by nexen. 1 entrants total.
Party of Sin -- MB-2AB29A8F04DD9A43 - Taken by Vastag. 2 entrants total.
Cube & Star: An Arbitrary Love -- MB-FA34485D48361A1E - Taken by topyy. 2 entrants total.
Not The Robots -- MB-EA76AAD9A9ED2B26 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 1 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-1AD41AF0D28A91A9 - Taken by Lomax. 2 entrants total.
Lume -- MB-0EE54CA71E7A3800 - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-B23E7A699ECEF526 - Taken by Kiru. 5 entrants total.

t1401908948z1.png

JaseC

Okay. First time I used it today. It was really good actually.

One of my mates makes use of it. South Park wouldn't show up for him at the time so he turned his attention to Age of Wonders 3 instead. Lately he's just been playing World of Tanks, though.

how good still? sogood
Oh man, Far Cry 2.
That game can be so glitchy at times, and surprisingly funny.

A lot of times with the explosive crossbow you get I would blow up a car and the car would go up into the sky only to then land right on top of me and kill me.

Far Cry 2 is such a good game to play in iron-man mode since it makes it waaayy more intense, but with moments like when you get killed by a car falling on top of you, it can be really annoying lol.

Dr Dogg

Woot, ordered a Ti for $560 so that should last me a bit. Hopefully Nvidia doesn't announce the 800 series tomorrow :p

What a780Ti for $560? That's bloody cheap. I've been eyeing up a couple of Gainward 6gb vanilla 780s to swap out with my bog standard 3gb references ones and they're more expensive than that each.

Unless the 800 series cards bring much more VRAM on them I think it's a better bet to wait for the 900 series where performance and VRAM will be higher. Plus it's looking like early next year and the very earliest anyway.

Tizoc

For the new page
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Subject 9 -- MB-D537F6960CD5EC65
8BitBoy -- MB-87CD5BC224F050EF
GEARCRACK Arena -- MB-7C84024A0E640751
Unearthered Episode 1 -- MB-82A42402BB368B70
Frederic Desura Key-- MB-27B2DB79E6D8C145
Zack Zero -- MB-696207F4621B0BD0
The Desolate Hope -- MB-18A04648A090EF55

t1401978221z1.png

Salsa

The historical setting is! Sort of.

it's the best one yet i'll let you have that

that said I studied the french revolution pretty hardcore for a thesis kinda thing years ago so im probably gonna find lots of unreal shit in this one more than the rest

Arthea

I probably won't watch it. I'd rather just go in more or less blind as I did with Black Flag.

I approve of this attitude. If you like franchise and know more or less what to expect, what's the point in watching anything? It's way better to be surprised by things not expected than a game to be spoiled by media.

JaseC

it's the best one yet i'll let you have that

that said I studied the french revolution pretty hardcore for a thesis kinda thing years ago so im probably gonna find lots of unreal shit in this one more than the rest

I'm most fond of Renaissance Italy. I'd love for a current-gen entry to return to the period, free of the shackles of the PS360.

I approve of this attitude. If you like franchise and know more or less what to expect, what's the point in watching anything? It's way better to be surprised by things not expected than a game to be spoiled by media.

Yeah, I binged on Uncharted 2 media prior to release and was disappointed when the game rolled around and I realised I was already familiar with virtually all of the game's locations. Ever since then I've at the most just dipped my toes here and there.

Is DmC on sale or in a bundle or sth? Bceause Many peopleare posting about here and even playfire made playfire rewards for it (generally Playfire makes rewards for sth on sale)?

Lomax

Is DmC on sale or in a bundle or sth? Bceause Many peopleare posting about here and even playfire made playfire rewards for it (generally Playfire makes rewards for sth on sale)?

It was on sale on GMG last week, but the Playfire rewards came from their Head-2-Head voting, which don't really seem connected to anything in terms of sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom