• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here do Yoga (or a similar variant)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I say similar, is because I do DDP Yoga, which is some traditional yoga, with old school Calisthenics (push-ups, squats, etc), and it truly does make a difference. Not sure how many may have seen this video, but for me it had a huge impact. Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
That video is how I found out about his Yoga videos, and I am seriously addicted to doing them. I am ALMOST to this point, but not quite.. I WILL do it, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWBl2v0S4BQ
I hope this thread will give some extra motivation to those who are looking, or maybe just need that little incentive to get going. Any questions, feel free to ask. :)

I just got DDP yoga but haven't done it yet because I lost motivation after a 20 minute beginner yoga warmup video kicked my ass.

I have been doing Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown once a week to help my back. I really like it. It's basically Yoga mixed with strength training using your own body weight.

Maedre

Banned
I do yogates. It's a mix of yoga and pilates. Love it to calm down after a hard day. And it helped me with my back pain. Only archery calms me more.

Shadybiz

I do "hot" yoga once a week with my wife. It's basically power yoga, but they keep the room at about 100 degrees. I feel very relaxed at the end, and it's a good way to mentally prepare for the work week.

Yes, I practice 3-4 times a week at a local studio. I do Hartha/Yin/Restorative mostly. It has been life changing for me I can't understate that.

DDP Yoga is really great. I totally recommend it. The Double Black Diamond workout is a killer! Not sure if I'll ever try out that "Psycho Push Up" that DDP did ..lol

LosDaddie

Banned
My wife takes a yoga class once or twice a week depending on her schedule. She says she like how it keeps her flexible 😏

I tend to do a solid 10min of yoga stretches before my morning exercise. I should do some yoga.

Linkura

DDP Yoga is great. Can't go as hard as I used to though, because I now have osteoarthritis in my hands and a meniscus tear in my knee. Still, even the basic workouts really do make a difference in how I feel.

jmdajr

I used to do it religiously. I gave it up when I no longer had the time to go to class.

Felt great though. Miss it.

I've done yoga for six plus years. I prefer hatha, and iyengar styles, but of course also do vinyasa. I would say that the benefits for me have been more on the side of developing a really nice, lean muscle, athletic build. I was born the stiffest person alive, and will never be that flexible. I also do cardio, but thanks to yoga I am really pleased with my muscle tone - I'm 33 and look better than ever.

P.S. Doing yoga is also how I met my fiance; so there's that.

BFIB

DDP Yoga is legit good. I started it about a year ago, and normally, before I do any videos, I want to watch them first to get an idea of how hard they'll be. I watched him do "energy" and thought "Oh, that's nothing!" 10 minutes in, I was out of breath first time doing it. You wouldn't think holding a plank for 10 seconds would do that, followed by a slow count down, but it did.

I fell out of it for a few months when we were moving, and just picked it up again last week. I was nearing "Strength Builder" to completion with no issues, but I can barely get through Fat Burner now. Crazy how fast you lose all that muscle and core strength.

Greedings

What does "really makes a difference" mean?

Exercise is good for you, it's not really a revelation.

I've always wanted to try yoga, but I have zero agility and I'm far too self conscious to join in a class of women, especially when there's a stereotype of the creeper man at the back of a yoga class looking at all the butts.

I'd probably look at butts.

swarley64

Yeah, I started DDP Yoga a few months ago. I've got two herniated discs in my neck and was suffering for a long time. Going to a physical therapist or chiropractor would help for a little while, then the pain would come back. But I've found that if I do some amount of yoga every day, the pain is very manageable.

____

What does "really makes a difference" mean?

Exercise is good for you, it's not really a revelation.

I've always wanted to try yoga, but I have zero agility and I'm far too self conscious to join in a class of women, especially when there's a stereotype of the creeper man at the back of a yoga class looking at all the butts.

I'd probably look at butts.

This is why you move to the front and have the women look at yours.

Win.

Bakercat

A friend of mine has been pushing for me to do DDP Yoga for a while now. From what I've seen it does wonders to people who use it, but I'm currently injured with a spine injury and can't really do much until I see a neurosurgeon.

SKINNER!

Banned
Tried it for the first time last week and really liked it. I took a class after my workshift and it really helped me with de-stressing.

i started maybe 7 years ago doing vinyasa yoga, and while I rarely go to the classes anymore, I still use it to stretch daily.

There are a lot of benefits to it, I personally feel I couldn't get through the week without it. My muscles just feel so much more relaxed and less tight from jogging or playing tennis.

hom3land

I need to start. Never was very flexible but after doing crossfit for over a year.. All the muscle I've gained has been great but my flexibility has gotten worse.

I love yoga because it makes new feel so light and strong. Ali Kamenova (currently pregnant) is the best imo, I love her youtube chanel.

Does all levels and many types of yoga. Also incorporates interval, high intensity, strength, isolation and more.

New002

I did a full run through of DDP Yoga a few years back and it was really great. I would like to get back to incorporating it.

HvySky

I don't at the moment but one of my closest friends lives and swears by it, so I think I'm gonna give it a try myself here pretty soon.

DDP Yoga is really great. I totally recommend it. The Double Black Diamond workout is a killer! Not sure if I'll ever try out that "Psycho Push Up" that DDP did ..lol
Which one do you have? I just ordered the 2.0 from the website. They (the workouts) are a bit different now, with less rest, some changes to the exercises and some new stuff added. Highly recommend it. :)

Not really. I'd say at least half an hour to get through a standard sun salutation sequence.

So do this:

sun_salutes_A_breaths.jpg

in repetition for 30 minutes, than do the other anti-anxiety poses I learned afterwards?

AndersK

I've been doing it for a couple of months. No particular branch, but I've really enjoyed yoga with Adriene.

This routine: https://youtu.be/Ci3na6ThUJc

Kicked my fucking ass 2 months ago. Now I can do it with only slight difficulty.

Great stuff really, especially when you get into a flow.

Yup I do DDPyoga. I've had chronic back pain and it's basically gone now. I'm more limber now. I still struggle with my stamina but that has more to do with my hypertension.

I dropped 50lbs on it. Recently I had a hyperextended knee and severely sprained ankle that prevented me from doing it for about 6 months. I put on 25lbs.

Been back on it for about a month and I've dropped quite a few inches already.

I've moved on from my DDP Yoga. It's still amazing and I do it on off days, but it's so short and fast and heart rate oriented, I found I wanted a longer, slower class, which turned out is WAY more brutal.

Jeezus, I thought a year of DDP would have me ready for an hour long yoga class but it's a whole different ball game.

The cool thing about Denver is that a half dozen or so yoga companies do a bi weekly class at a local brewery. I did one on Saturday and I'm going to one tonight.

Until I find a regular location I want to go to, $15 for an hour of yoga and a free craft beer works for me.

I dropped 75 pounds in 18 months and now the full classes are just me getting cut.

It's probably something I should consider doing since I have pretty frequent back problems but it's just not really on my radar. Plus, I don't think stick with it unless my gf also committed to it.

I just wanted to chime in and say that doing Power Vinyasa yoga for one year, 6 days a week, has changed my life for the better. Physically and mentally, I feel like such a different person from one year ago.

I HIGHLY recommend going to a studio. Doing it at home is one thing, but practicing in a room full of like minded people is invigorating and motivating. I would not be where I am today without my studio.

Get out there and try it if you have been on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom