• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bachelor production shut down after crew films sexual assault

I'm not upset it's back, I'm upset that I will have to watch it now.

LOL

normally, I'd agree with you on this sort of thing.

But this is the Bachelor we're talking about, they do craaaaaazy shit.

(I still think it isn't... but given their history, the chance isn't 0%)

Never watched the show, so I have no idea. Still this would be pretty shitty thing to do no matter how trashy a reality show is.

Barzul

OK. Have never heard of rape/sexual assault being written in and used to create buzz for a "reality TV" show.

Me either. That TMZ video states that they aren't even sure the guy and woman will be back for the filming. Why would that be the case if it was all for buzz?

Kaladin

Me either. That TMZ video states that they aren't even sure the guy and woman will be back for the filming. Why would that be the case if it was all for buzz?

We're not saying it happened, we're just saying it's certainly plausible. It's also possible that the event happened as planned, but the after math wasn't planned for. I fully believe these shows have scripted sexual encounters before.

We're not saying it happened, we're just saying it's certainly plausible. It's also possible that the event happened as planned, but the after math wasn't planned for. I fully believe these shows have scripted sexual encounters before.
Well duh. The fantasy suites are almost never turned down. Give liquored up contestants a chance to have sex and they're almost always down

Well duh. The fantasy suites are almost never turned down. Give liquored up contestants a chance to have sex and they're almost always down
They haven't even been waiting for that shit for the last few seasons. Contestants figure out that fucking the bachelor(ette) early gives them a good shot at the finale, so some just try to bone ASAP.

Kaladin

Via CNN who obtained a contract for the current Bachelor In Paradise season:

Want to become a contestant on "Bachelor in Paradise"? You'll need to sign a contract that allows the producers of the show to do nearly anything they want to you and your reputation -- including filming you naked, airing the details of any part of your life they think is relevant, or flat-out lying about you and things you've done. And you'll have to agree that the producers are not liable for almost anything that happens to you in the course of filming, whether you're injured, suffer emotional trauma, catch an STD -- or, in the words of the contract, subject to "unwelcome/unlawful contact or other interaction among participants."

After reviewing parts of the contract provided to her by CNNMoney, Nicole Page, a New York-based entertainment attorney at Reavis Parent, said that it meant, from the producers' perspective, "I can basically take your image and do whatever I want with it and I own it and you have no recourse." Contracts like these are common in reality TV, she said. They "have been around since reality TV began," she added.

Remember the episode of "Bachelor in Paradise" when Clare finally lost it and turned to a raccoon as a confidant? She later revealed that she was actually talking to a producer. Or when Clare was on "The Bachelor" and she and Juan Pablo took a late-night swim in the ocean and something definitely happened? In a later interview, Clare contended that, actually, nothing happened.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/21/med...ise-contract/0830PMVODtopLink&linkId=38950608

undrtakr900

So nothing happened?
Corinne got caught fooling around with DeMario in the pool, even though she had a boyfriend back home. So to save face, she played the "victim card" claiming she was so drunk that she "doesn't remember" anything that happened.

But after the producers/police reviewed the tapes, it showed that she was actually lucid during the sexual encounter and NOT blacked out and/or going limp (as some claimed).

It turns out that the only "victim" was DeMario, who had his name/image smeared by the media, subsequently loosing his job because of the scandal.

wildfire

Banned
So do people just have sex right in front of the camera? Who was in a position to "stop" it?

She was drunk out of her mind. It's not unbelievable that in her state she could have consented while drunk but the film crew should've intervened immediately once the intercourse happened because I think we all have known someone e gets really drunk and does things they regret doing.

We all know being intoxicated ruins our judgement.

She was drunk out of her mind. It's not unbelievable that in her state she could have consented while drunk but the film crew should've intervened immediately once the intercourse happened because I think we all have known someone e gets really drunk and does things they regret doing.

We all know being intoxicated ruins our judgement.
And being drunk out of her mind is one thing, but it really gets fucked up when they say she goes limp...then the guy goes down on her and just keeps going.

undrtakr900

And being drunk out of her mind is one thing, but it really gets fucked up when they say she goes limp...then the guy goes down on her and just keeps going.
Warner Brothers concluded thier investigation, and the videos showed that at NO point did Corinne ever "black out" or "go limp", but instead was "fully engaged and lucid".

Official Statement:
"Out of respect for the privacy interests of those involved, we do not intend to release the videotape of the incident. We can say, however, that the tape does not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member. Nor does the tape show, contrary to many press reports, that the safety of any cast member was ever in jeopardy,"​
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/20/media/bachelor-in-paradise-investigation/index.html

Warner Brothers concluded thier investigation, and the videos showed that at NO point did Corinne ever "black out" or "go limp", but instead was "fully engaged and lucid".

Official Statement:
"Out of respect for the privacy interests of those involved, we do not intend to release the videotape of the incident. We can say, however, that the tape does not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member. Nor does the tape show, contrary to many press reports, that the safety of any cast member was ever in jeopardy,"​
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/20/media/bachelor-in-paradise-investigation/index.html

That's why I never jump to conclusions on these incidents. Good thing it was videotaped or DeMario could be in prison. His life still could be ruined though.

Cipherr

Official Statement:

Really makes you wonder where the fuck the rumor came from. When this story first came out it was described on other boards as 2 drunk people going a bit too far. Then the "limp passed out" rumor just emerged out of fucking nowhere.

Really makes you wonder where the fuck the rumor came from. When this story first came out it was described on other boards as 2 drunk people going a bit too far. Then the "limp passed out" rumor just emerged out of fucking nowhere.

Wasn't that description from Corrine's attorney?

Nice of that brothers name to be smeared and associated with raping a White woman. I'm sure no repercussions will befall his personal life after this scandal.

dpunk3

”After he finished — which only lasted a few seconds — he lifted her out of the water and laid her on the cement, where he proceeded to have oral sex with her," the source added.

Why the fuck does that matter?

Piece of shit should rot in hell.

Kurdel

Banned
Remember the episode of "Bachelor in Paradise" when Clare finally lost it and turned to a raccoon as a confidant? She later revealed that she was actually talking to a producer.

What is even going on holy shit

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The boom mic guy got fired for protecting Pam from a violent warehouse employee.

*cough*

props to anyone who gets it

That was the story I read originally as well.

kyser73

For those confused by the concept of blackout drunks where you're 'just' drunk - alcohol impairs the process of shifting short term memories to the long term store.

This impairment can manifest either after sleep, or if you're really pissed while you're conscious. If you're drinking and can't remember what you did 5 or 10 minutes ago you're on a blackout drunk.

OT - sleazy as fuck, but the whole premise of the show is to get horny people drunk and see what happens so this happening is no surprise.

The thing about blacking out is you can be drunk, fully engaged and lucid and wake up and not remember anything. I slept with a woman I otherwise wouldn't have had I been sober, and it doesn't feel good. I can only imagine how a woman may feel in a similar situation, given how society already makes them feel.

For those confused by the concept of blackout drunks where you're 'just' drunk - alcohol impairs the process of shifting short term memories to the long term store.

This impairment can manifest either after sleep, or if you're really pissed while you're conscious. If you're drinking and can't remember what you did 5 or 10 minutes ago you're on a blackout drunk.

Pretty much this. It's happened to me numerous times.

Nice of that brothers name to be smeared and associated with raping a White woman. I'm sure no repercussions will befall his personal life after this scandal.
Dudes lost his job due to the controversy.

Jackson told Inside Edition that he’s since been fired from his job as an executive recruiter and that he doesn’t blame castmate Corinne Olympios for losing his job, he just wants the “truth” revealed to clear his name.

Why the fuck does that matter?

Piece of shit should rot in hell.

Uh, it didn't actually happen though.

This is the danger of false allegations, everyone is ready to get out their pitchforks before there's even a criminal investigation.

And even if the man is 100% exonerated, who is going to hire a person accused of something like this? Even total bullshit can annihilate a person's career and personal life.

Did anyone watch the premier of Bachelor in Paradise this week? It was rather interesting in today's episode Chris Harrison led a round table discussion with the cast about sexual assault, consent, racism, etc. that lasted about 20-30 minutes. I honestly expected BiP to glaze over the issue and ignore that anything happened as much as they could but nope they tackled it head on.

Cuburt

Did anyone watch the premier of Bachelor in Paradise this week? It was rather interesting in today's episode Chris Harrison led a round table discussion with the cast about sexual assault, consent, racism, etc. that lasted about 20-30 minutes. I honestly expected BiP to glaze over the issue and ignore that anything happened as much as they could but nope they tackled it head on.
Seems like an important discussion, and honestly just as important to address even when the original accusations were found to be faulty.

I haven't watched yet but it sounded like DeMario was close to having his life ruined and if they weren't taped on television, that's probably exactly what would have happened. Even in the court of public opinion here on GAF seemed to have convicted him with the original accusations.

Seems like an important discussion, and honestly just as important to address even when the original accusations were found to be faulty.

I haven't watched yet but it sounded like DeMario was close to having his life ruined and if they weren't taped on television, that's probably exactly what would have happened. Even in the court of public opinion here on GAF seemed to have convicted him with the original accusations.

The contestants unanimously agreed people were probably quick to blame Demario due to racism, and were unfairly slut shaming Corrine.

Corinne Olympios finally spoke out about her "Bachelor in Paradise" scandal withDeMario Jackson, and wanted it known ... he did nothing wrong. 

Corinne sat down with Chris Harrison on Tuesday's "BIP" tell-all episode and confirmed TMZ's story -- she mixed meds with booze and suffered a hard blackout when she hooked up with DeMario.

Chris also confirmed our reporting about Corinne appearing very with it during the ordeal that eventually shut down production-- so much so producers thought she was fine.

The bigger takeaway ... Corinne officially exonerated DeMario of any wrongdoing and said there's no ill will on her end. She also said she never blamed him for anything.

In hindsight ... Corinne calling herself a victim probably didn't help the situation -- something Chris didn't press her on. But as she puts it ... it is what it is. 

SMH

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz....ddresses-bachelor-in-paradise-scandal-demario

mreddie

Holy shit, she knew it was her fuckup but blamed the black guy anyway.

Especially in these times, this shit should be a big deal.

VeeP

I think another problem is people, like ones in this thread jumping to conclusions immediately. That type of shit is part of the problem.

99Luffy

Banned

I dont think she ever blamed him really. But she wanted to walk that fine line of not blaming him and still get a payday from the studio..
Overall I blame the show. I just imagine them salivating right now at all the press this all got for them.

kirblar

Blaming a black guy for sexual assault when it was consensual, and not thinking about how this could further make it more difficult for women who come forward claiming "rape" to be believed by the authorities....

"It is what it is..."
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2015/06/the_deadly_history_of_they_re_raping_our_women_racists_have_long_defended.html
Of the assertions in that statement, it's the first that has a long, deadly history. In the late 19th century, rape was a frequent justification for racist violence. ”To palliate this record ... and excuse some of the most heinous crimes that ever stained the history of a country," wrote journalist Ida B. Wells-Barnett on lynchings in her pamphlet Southern Horrors, ”the South is shielding itself behind the plausible screen of defending the honor of its women." Indeed, Wells points to a host of Southern newspapers that defended ”lynch's law" with reference to an alleged epidemic of black-on-white rape. In one editorial, published by the Memphis Daily Commercial, editors declared, ”The commission of this crime grows more frequent every year," and, ”There is no longer a restraint upon the brute passion of the Negro."

As Wells-Barnett would show, however, there was no substance to the charge. ”The world knows that the crime of rape was unknown during four years of civil war, when the white women of the South were at the mercy of the race which is all at once charged with being a bestial one," she writes. In reality, these accusations of rape were often covers for consensual—and taboo—relationships between black men and white women. ”Whites could not countenance the idea of a white woman desiring sex with a Negro, thus any physical relationship between a white woman and a black man had, by definition, to be an unwanted assault," writes historian Philip Dray, describing Wells-Barnett's argument in his book At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America. In one instance, found Wells-Barnett, a black man in Indianola, Mississippi, was lynched for raping the local sheriff's 7-year-old daughter. When Wells-Barnett went to investigate, however, she found something very different:

Wells traveled to Indianola and met the alleged rape victim, who was no girl but a grown woman in her late teens. The ”brute," Wells learned, had worked on the sheriff's farm for a number of years and was acquainted with every member of the family. The woman had been found in her lover's cabin by her father, who led a lynch mob in order to save his daughter's reputation.

Make any list of anti-black terrorism in the United States, and you'll also have a list of attacks justified by the specter of black rape. The Tulsa race riot of 1921—when white Oklahomans burned and bombed a prosperous black section of the city—began after a black teenager was accused of attacking, and perhaps raping, a white girl in an elevator. The Rosewood massacre of 1923, in Florida, was also sparked by an accusation of rape. And most famously, 14-year-old Emmett Till was murdered after allegedly making sexual advances on a local white woman.
Unfortunately, she's not an anomaly. This nasty intersection of gender and race has been an issue for centuries.

NoRéN;247348442 said:
Wasn't there a thread recently about a dude suing a woman who made false accusations? People defended her right quick too.

I've noticed here on GAF when there's a thread discussing a rape accusation, the guy is always perceived guilty until proven innocent. We saw that happen here.

Jesus.. what a disgusting display. Horrible show, horrible people and even more horrible contracts.
Absolutely disgusting.
Even now she was dishonest i think.

NoRéN

I've noticed here on GAF when there's a thread discussing a rape accusation, the guy is always perceived guilty until proven innocent. We saw that happen here.
Yeah.

I've been calling shit out here and there regarding a lot of things. But I can safely say this subject is the most difficult one as it seems to be the most swiftly acted upon if you don't fall in line.

It's complete bullshit and the people that feel the need to side with the woman seem to ignore that for the accused, mostly men, the damage is done with the accusation. There's no coming back from an accusation like that.

Its everything. The Brad Pitt situation, any number of video game storys that are based off incomplete messages or assumptions. The internet as a whole is about voicing your hot take, the hell with facts.

Top Bottom