• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

It's another case like Badlands: the concept's fine, but the execution's so bad I have to squint to make out Colbert's arm bare against the background. Just not sure what they're getting at with the cover other than "wacky~".

big ander

Glad to see a Sturges blu. I'd love for their DVD catalog of his films to get the blu treatment too. Zacharek essay and interview with James Harvey are good, Bill Hader is even better.

swoon

extra's on my winnipeg aren't as great as i hoped - guy has so much material to pull from like they did for his last criterion release.

kim morgan did tweet a screen shot from an extra that had guy's mom watching ann savage (playing his mom) watching the film in the house he grew up in, which is fun i guess.

still recommending http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HT3Q2S/?tag=neogaf0e-20 over this palm beach story blu.

omgkitty

extra's on my winnipeg aren't as great as i hoped - guy has so much material to pull from like they did for his last criterion release.

kim morgan did tweet a screen shot from an extra that had guy's mom watching ann savage (playing his mom) watching the film in the house he grew up in, which is fun i guess.

still recommending http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HT3Q2S/?tag=neogaf0e-20 over this palm beach story blu.

why_not_both.gif

ngower

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Would die. Vitals dipped just thinking about it.

[EDIT] Continuing on the comment earlier, does anyone feel like Criterion are lessening their special features across the board? I mean a few years back you'd get TONS of features per disc. Lately, it seems like we're lucky to get a commentary track for some!

mojiimbo

Dumb question but was the fountain in the movie a soundstage or the real thing? Last time I googled it I got conflicting answers.

Fjordson

Question about the Cassavetes collection: it being a collection doesn't keep it from being discounted during the big sales, right? Amazon has it for $70 right now, but if it comes down in price like single-movie releases then I'll just wait. I'm assuming it does, just not sure.

inm8num2

Question about the Cassavetes collection: it being a collection doesn't keep it from being discounted during the big sales, right? Amazon has it for $70 right now, but if it comes down in price like single-movie releases then I'll just wait. I'm assuming it does, just not sure.

It will definitely be part of the 50% off sale at Barnes and Noble next month, but that's 50% off MSRP so you won't save much by waiting unless you're a BN member and get an extra 10% off (plus try to use another coupon in store).

Fjordson

It will definitely be part of the 50% off sale at Barnes and Noble next month, but that's 50% off MSRP so you won't save much by waiting unless you're a BN member and get an extra 10% off (plus try to use another coupon in store).
Hmm. And I get free shipping on Amazon. Maybe I'll just order it.

Alright fellow Criterioners, I lost my copy of Pierrot Le Fou. I searched everywhere and cannot find it... which is weird as it doesn't leave the house. What is my best option for replacement? Contact Criterion and say it just disappeared? Is it available from another outlet?

I am heartbroken...

omgkitty

It will be about $63 during the sale not including tax. If you live somewhere that Amazon doesn't yet charge tax, I would just go ahead and buy it as you'd only be saving a couple of dollars.

omgkitty

Alright fellow Criterioners, I lost my copy of Pierrot Le Fou. I searched everywhere and cannot find it... which is weird as it doesn't leave the house. What is my best option for replacement? Contact Criterion and say it just disappeared? Is it available from another outlet?

I am heartbroken...

Besides it's an out of print title, I doubt Criterion would have ever replaced it. Your only option is one of those terrible print to DVD's that Amazon is doing now - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IO9J6MM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Did you just lose the disc or the whole case? I remember I thought I lost my copy of Blade Runner, and searched all over for it before I realized I had put it inside my Bioshock case in a box under my bed. Don't ask me why.

Fjordson

It will be about $63 during the sale not including tax. If you live somewhere that Amazon doesn't yet charge tax, I would just go ahead and buy it as you'd only be saving a couple of dollars.
Hmm. Barnes and Noble has free shipping also, so maybe I will just wait. Save a few bucks :lol

They send you a 20% of coupon during one weekend of November. The sale will still be on.

omgkitty

Hmm. Barnes and Noble has free shipping also, so maybe I will just wait. Save a few bucks :lol

Word of advice that Barnes and Noble shipping is terrible and spotty. I've said it in this thread before, but I live less that 5 miles from the shipping facility, and it's taken them 2 weeks to deliver my packages before. I'd say pay the extra now and just order them from Amazon.

Fjordson

Word of advice that Barnes and Noble shipping is terrible and spotty. I've said it in this thread before, but I live less that 5 miles from the shipping facility, and it's taken them 2 weeks to deliver my packages before. I'd say pay the extra now and just order them from Amazon.
That's a good point. Amazon is super fast for me and dependable.

Eh, fuck it. Ordered!

Did you just lose the disc or the whole case? I remember I thought I lost my copy of Blade Runner, and searched all over for it before I realized I had put it inside my Bioshock case in a box under my bed. Don't ask me why.

How bad is that DVD? EDIT: Holy shit, that DVD sounds BAD. I know that Criterion keeps old editions, maybe, just maybe, they would... hahahaha. Yeah, right.

Everything is gone. I didn't take it to my campus office as the classrooms do not have Blu-Ray players, and I wouldn't have risked it for students who don't care anyway, and I have not thrown any parties lately. I guess I will ask my cleaning service, but they wouldn't think to take that... I truly am at a complete loss.

There exist a Studiocanal bluray that is region A compatible. Not the same transfer though, this website gives a good comparison of the differing DVD and blu ray editions. And that would fall under the Lionsgate fuckery that was discussed previously.

Very helpful link. And there is no way I am fucking around with non-Criterion Godard films if I have the option-- and $40 for the DVD is not that bad ($100 for the Blu is outrageous). Thanks for the response.

Any hint of a Hiroshima Mon Amour bluray update? I see that they're showing a 4k rerelease in some theaters...

Also, wheres my Before trilogy...

Any hint of a Hiroshima Mon Amour bluray update? I see that they're showing a 4k rerelease in some theaters...

Also, wheres my Before trilogy...

I read on the Criterion forums that Matt Zoller Seitz announced he's writing a piece on Hiroshima mon amour, presumably for an upcoming Criterion release.

Fjordson

Got an email from Amazon saying Criterion horror titles are on sale until November 1st. Looks they're all at least 50% off. Not bad.

Fox Mulder

Got an email from Amazon saying Criterion horror titles are on sale until November 1st. Looks they're all at least 50% off. Not bad.

my wallet. At least I can cash out some Bing rewards for Amazon credit.

any recommendations? I already have videodrome and Godzilla. Looking at House and Repulsion.

+1 for House and Repulsion. Both are great; one wacky as shit, the other a slowburn.

Just get through the first 15-20 minutes of House and then it's off to the races.

Steamlord

House and Repulsion are both musts.

Went ahead and got Videodrome and The Devil's Backbone (and the TCM 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition; not Criterion, but it's also on sale at the moment).

And dammit, are we ever going to get Vampyr on Blu-ray?

DiscoJon

Banned
I had no idea My Darling Clementine was a thing. Is it as good as Tombstone(my favorite western ever)?

I picked up My Darling Clementine a couple weeks ago, the transfer is spectacular. I own Tombstone on Blu-ray as well.

Imagine My Darling Clementine as a Drama and Tombstone as an Action-Adventure. That's the best comparison I can think of.

Fjordson

MDC is one of the best and most important Westerns of all time. Anyone who hasn't seen it should pick it up ASAP if they like the genre.

overcast

So another big Barnes & Noble sale should be starting up soon, yeah? I already have a list of stuff to cop :lol
I seem to remember people saying from around Thanksgiving to late December. Which sounds right.

Definitely getting:
Three Colors Trilogy
A Godard film
Jules and Jim
Hopefully I have enough for the Tati collection.
Probably La Dolce Vita
Probably Thief

Need to see how the funds pan out after Black Friday/ticket I have.

Fjordson

I seem to remember people saying from around Thanksgiving to late December. Which sounds right.

Definitely getting:
Three Colors Trilogy
A Godard film
Jules and Jim
Hopefully I have enough for the Tati collection.
Probably La Dolce Vita
Probably Thief

Need to see how the funds pan out after Black Friday/ticket I have.
Last year was even earlier. Like first or second week of November if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm gonna grab My Darling Clementine, L'avventura, Love Streams, and La dolce vita for sure. Maybe a few other things on a whim.

Good choice on Jules and Jim. Love that one! Thief as well. I had to grab that when it first dropped, looks and sounds amazing.

XShagrath

blu-ray.com says the sale starts on 11/11, so we're only one week out!

I got some 20% off member coupons that will still be good during that time, and there should be at least one weekend where they send out some 15% off non-member coupons that you can probably use.

Top Bottom