• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Retro

Guild Wars 2, easily. The best part is that it actually lived up to the hype for a few great years; constant updates (at one point, every two weeks), lots of variety, effective balance, solid and friendly in-game community.

Unfortunately, a lot of the usual problems associated with MMOs (studio in-fighting, key people leaving, listening to the external community i.e., the vocal minority) cropped up and started to shift the game away from the things that made it unique and back towards the things that people were trying to escape from all the WoW clones. Last time I played they had 3 month gaps in content, most of which was focused on grinding, they completely ignored huge swaths of content (realm vs. realm, dungeons, guild activities), botched others, and the community was super toxic (largely due to the addition of raiding).

I'm kinda bummed out about it, probably the last MMO I'll play unless whatever Amazon's cooking up is radically different.

Svejk

MGS1 easy.
Can't say how many times I played that demo disc that came with that Playstation magazine. When it finally released, it raised the bar of video games as a whole.

Diablo 3 and doom 3. I was heavily disappointed with both.

Warcraft 3 probably comes in @ #2 and that one delivered on all fronts.

TheSun

Fable 2 of all games. The road for its release was sooo unreal for me.

Like, I loved the original Fable, played the hell out of it. The day the teaser was released, it blew my young ass mind. Joined the freaking forums too.

Then when it was nearing release I just stopped caring. Dunno why, maybe the hype is what was more fun than the actual game itself. Maybe Molyneux's words stopped having any meaning, as I learned about his controversies too late.

Enelby

Neo Member
Probably Bloodborne.

Dark Souls III close second.

Bloodborne lived up to it, probably cause it was a massive 'unknown'.

WorldHero

MOST Hyped will have to be a toss up between Halo 3 and GTA V. Took days off of work for both of them.

Definitely poured in most of my hours with these two games.

Probably Dark Souls 2

Which is why I'm harsher on it than I should, but I can't excuse the dev team fucking up so many things that were fine in the first. Solid 8/10 game if it were anything else but as the sequel to the GOAT.... I couldn't help but feel DS2 was shit.

Diablo 2. Not that is was bad but I expected the world from it, my hype was out of control and it was quite lacking in many ways. Because that experience was so disappointing, I usually can keep my hype levels down to just medium, but I got burned almost as badly many years later by Dark Souls 2.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
link to the past

i was so pumped about it, and had so little information about it. i slaved over little nintendo power previews. the monthly comics.

i was so desperate for more of it in my life that i wrote a fake guide for the game in lotus notes on my dad's high tech personal computer

Kohan 2, then I got into the beta. The devs didn't listen to any suggestion from their fans and basically everyone hated it that had played the original.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Half life 2: Episode 2 - Had watched the trailer so many times...every time it used to bring a smile followed by the anxiousness to get it as soon as possible.

TLOU: Again the first trailer did a very good job to create the hype for me. Found it much better than my expectations.

MGS4. I marathoned MGS1-3, GB, Snatcher in preparation. And played MG, MG2, Ac!d1-2, PO, ZOE1, and ZOE2 for the first time cuz I was so fucking PUMPED for MGS4...

My other most hyped game was Halo 2.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Star Wars The Old Republic

My hype was uncontrollable. I watched every trailer and interview 100 times. I bought the CE and the regular version just 'cause.

And then I played it. Damn, biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever had :(

Disxo

Fallout 4...
In the end It wasnt as bad as people made it out to be.
Was it worth losing 2 finals for such game?

Perhaps not, but I cant change that.

rezn0r

Damn I am really not sure, one of these: Fallout 4, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect Andromeda......., Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV 1.0......., Final Fantasy XIV 2.0, Super Mario Sunshine

ar4757

It's still not out yet even though it was coming in Winter 2014

Good thing it's gonna deliver big time (Persona 5)

Easily the most hyped and anticipated I've ever been for a game, because I've been waiting for like 4 years

Probably FFIX. I was a kid and FFVIII was my first jrpg, so I was unreasonably hyped for the next one.

In recent history, Persona 5

Keikaku

In my life, I've been quite lucky to only really get hyped for games that ended up being quite good. Of those, there are 3 that really fit the bill in terms of my most hyped games ever and they're all equal in terms of which is my favorite.

1. Ocarina of Time: This ended up being one of my favorite games for a long, long time and was the first game that I sat down and just blew through over the course of a marathon 3 day gaming session. Great game for 14-year-old me to play.
  2. Witcher 3: After playing the 1st and 2nd games, my hype for this game was really high. Every piece of media that came out about it only made me feel my hype was justified. Ultimately, the game ended up surpassing a lot of my expectations even if failed in some areas.
  3. Breath of the Wild: I had this sort of wild hope in me that Nintendo could break the Zelda formula and deliver something truly innovative and mindblowing. Every preview I saw seemed to point in a mostly positive direction but I still had doubts. Then the game came out and it's everything that embodied the whole "If you can see it, you can go there" trope. It really feels like a living, breathing world that you can travel through. I'm still playing through but this is my all time favorite game ever at this point.

Rezae

Final Fantasy VII. Had played the series since the beginning. 3D and a Sony system!?

I played the demo for months.

GeoramA

GTA IV

Was the first GTA for new generation and the newest main entry since San Andreas. Didn't live up to the hype, but I still loved it.

Pokemon Gold and Silver. Absolutely lived up to the hype as well.

I was unreasonably hyped for Project Titan despite there being literally no information out there though, haha.

Guild Wars 2, easily. The best part is that it actually lived up to the hype for a few great years; constant updates (at one point, every two weeks), lots of variety, effective balance, solid and friendly in-game community.

Unfortunately, a lot of the usual problems associated with MMOs (studio in-fighting, key people leaving, listening to the external community i.e., the vocal minority) cropped up and started to shift the game away from the things that made it unique and back towards the things that people were trying to escape from all the WoW clones. Last time I played they had 3 month gaps in content, most of which was focused on grinding, they completely ignored huge swaths of content (realm vs. realm, dungeons, guild activities), botched others, and the community was super toxic (largely due to the addition of raiding).

I'm kinda bummed out about it, probably the last MMO I'll play unless whatever Amazon's cooking up is radically different.

GW2 was probably my second-most hyped game. I definitely enjoyed my ~400 or so hours with it, especially with the GAF guild, but I ended up putting it down before the expansion. It never sucked me in like GW1 did for some reason.

Woorloog

Banned
Mass Effect 3 probably.

The reason i no longer hype anything anymore.

Good lesson really. Don't hype, it will just be a fucking big letdown if you do. If you don't, it might be better than you expect, might be.

Sonic 2, and getting the game on the Saturday before Sonic2sday from the game stall in the city market and hearing about all the retailers complaining about broken the street date.

I've had numerous but of all time nothing stands out more than Super Mario World. I played the kiosk at Software Etc. And had to have it. My parents wouldn't get me a SNES that Christmas so every chance I got I played the demo at the mall and used my allowance to buy the strategy guide just to read and study the levels.

Finally got one the next Christmas and after waiting a whole year it was everything I thought it would be and I've played through it around 10 times. Just finished a file on my WII U VC recently. Now my 6 year old daughter loves it and has been playing it almost everyday for a month now.

Oreoleo

Perfect Dark, hands down. It was a perfect storm of being the follow-up to the classic Goldeneye, having just gotten internet access in the few years prior to its release, and being a young impressionable 11/12 years old. Joined my first message boards (Perfect Dark Central, waddup) and devoured every bit of news and media regarding the game.

And it lived up to the hype.

Memento

Definitely The Last of Us. It is also my favorite game of all times, so yeah, it delivered!

The Last of Us Part II will probably dethrone it when the marketing machine starts though haha

Honestly, the Wii itself and everything it entailed (WiiSports + The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess) had me excited beyond belief. The concept of motion controls to my teenage self was something new and mind blowing to me. Plus, it was the first new Zelda title I was ever interested in (I wasn't familiar with the series beforehand). They might not have lived up to said hype, but it's still a unique childhood experience I'm glad I went through.

phaeta

Nothing will beat the hype I had for this little game:
d4190af0afc786e753ee09ec91208313.jpg

The game is still my favorite FF game.

First played it during the Nintendo Power Tour in the early 90s. I was in middle school at the time. I was extremely hyped for the release. Final Fantasy was everything.

Top Bottom