• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Jawmuncher

Halo 3 probably. Was the right age, the marketing was everywhere and there was that game fuel. Too bad the game didn't live up to the hype.

Manzanas

Neo Member
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

I was 12 when it came out and I felt like the game lived up to all my expectations.
I honestly haven't been crazy excited for any game since then.
Maybe Metal Gear Solid V was the closest I felt to that excitement, but that game ended up disappointing me tremendously.
So now I have a tamer mindset when it comes to game hype.

We Happy Few's E3 trailer is GOAT. Got burned when I found out it's very misleading. I really don't think I've been hyped for a game before that because I hadn't owned a console since the Wii/DS lite, and back then I was too young to really be in the know about things.

Mozendo

Shin Megami Tensei IV and it was a disappointment. The start is strong, but after the first dungeon I felt that pacing, story, and difficulty change for the worst.

Azzanadra

Bioshock Infinite. The hype was so strong that in fact in actually affected my experience in that I greatly enjoyed my first two playthroughs because of that constant mystery and the ending just blowing my mind, it was only later I came to acknowledge its story and gameplay flaws. But that first playthrough? Man that was perfection.

Nakasan

A few to pick from...

Edit: My first hyped time, how could I forget! I got a GameBoy and Link's Awakening for xmas when I was a youngling - I read the guide for it in Nintendo Magazine System over and over (with a QUALITY map in it) in the lead up to it. Still my fave Zelda (BOTW giving it a real run at the minute though).

SSM had me desperate for Sonic R, and Croc.

Everything had me desperate for Mario 64.

And then I was even more desperate for Sonic Adventure.

And then most recently Skyrim.

Of all time though, Sonic Adventure takes it. Sonics glorious return and BOY did it deliver (with an "at the time" caveat).

Samikaze

Halo 2: It did meet up, too a degree. I personally thought it was a story low-point. It was mostly just Halo: CE again but pretty. Still loved it though.

Fable
: I was a young dumb teen and still thought it was awesome, even if they cut 90% of what Molyneux said would be in the game.

Witcher 3: Not only did this meet my expectations, it beat them.

120v

this is aging myself, but ... Link to the Past

I had my dad call Babbages every single day for months on end, asking if a copy came in yet. this was before internet, even "AOL internet" so there were no firm release dates, just "1992". later it was specified to April but being the stone age you had to assume it *could* come earlier.

everyday at the bus stop i'd pore over the nintendo power spreads, i must've known every inch of the map well before i played. i pretty much spoilered myself on everything but the dungeons. i could go on and on with nostaligc anecodes but to keep it short, my brain was 24/7 zelda

looking back i'm not even sure why i was so hyped up about it. yeah i loved the first two games like most people who grew up with NES but for some reason that game just had me by the balls. and as fate would have it it did end up being one of the greatest games ever made, or at least regarded as so

Qwyjibo

Mass Effect 3

Pre-ordered the steelbook PC version. I called in sick for work when it came in. I replayed the two previous games over the week right before release. My hype levels were never higher for any game.

It was a great game up until the ending (of course).

Final Fantasy Versus XIII. The 2013 trailer revealing the name change to XV is still one of the best trailers of all time in my opinion. The end product didn't live up in my opinion, but a full scale Final Fantasy game utilizing the excellent KH combat system is a dream for me to this day. VII should scratch that itch, but it's not quite the same as the mystery and joy of diving into a brand new world and title.

I don't think I'm capable of getting that hyped anymore.

Pakkidis

Ocarina of Time. Nothing else comes even close. The older you get the less you start caring about the hype.

Back then there weren't as many games let alone a thriving indie scene. Ocarina of Time was THE game to get that christmas. Game lived up to the hype tenfold.

Last game I bought day 1 was Twilight Princess. Given my vast backlog I don't buy games until after a few years so I miss out on all the hype, one of the few disadvantages of waiting.

Final Fantasy 3(6) for SNES.

I'm showing my age here but back in the day, a couple of screenshots in a magazine were all we had to build hype.

When it finally dropped, I had to drive 2 hours to get it. I played it for almost 24 hours straight (pausing only to go to my dishwashing job). I was dizzy with exhaustion by the time I finally called it a night.

Such a fantastic game.

Toli08

As crazy as this might sound to most it was Dynasty Warriors 4. After playing Dynasty Warriors 3 which felt like forever. I wanted 4 so bad. It was the first game that I checked on every single day to see if there was any new info about it. Then when it came out I felt disappointed. Taught me a great lesson, never get over hyped. It can never reach the hype levels you create in your mind. A little hype is fine but don't go crazy.

If Dyntasy Warriors 5 was 4 I might still be a optimist and get super hyped over releases.

Exquisik

World of Warcraft - was not disappointed. Probably spent more time on this game than all games combined. Really miss Vanilla.

Currently Persona 5.

In the past?

MGSV:TPP
Fun, but a pretty bittersweet conclusion to one of my favorite franchises and a poor send off because I know it could have been so much better, but circumstances and all.

SSBB
Eh, yeah didn't play this one too much.

Persona 4 Golden:
Absolutely delivered. Played P4 vanilla so I knew most of what I needed to know going in, but it's my current favorite game of all time.

etrain911

Unironically either Picross 3D Round 2's Western release or the announcement of Psychonauts 2. My hype for both of those were beyond measure.

Probably Adventure of Link. If you were gaming back then*, you'll remember - that was hyped to hell and back and for a long, long time. Pushed release dates, cryptic details and screens, cartridge shortages, etc etc etc.

As for the end result: I mean, I'm one of those Zelda fans who really loves AoL. I was a little frustrated by some aspects of it, but the departure in gameplay was fine with me.

*: In the USA anyway, I don't know how the launch went in other places.

DiscoJer

Front Page Sports Baseball.

Largely forgotten now, Front Page Sports Football from Dynamix/Sierra basically set a new paradigm for sports games and Baseball was their new project.

Nothing will beat the hype I had for this little game:
d4190af0afc786e753ee09ec91208313.jpg

The game is still my favorite FF game.

Hawk269

That is very hard to answer since I have been gaming since the 2600 era....

I would say it was Shenmue on the Dreamcast. I think the main reason was that the Dreamcast was one of the few systems that truly represented a leap in technology and it really showed in it's games and Shenmue was doing a lot of things that many games at the time were not.

A close second (tie) was War Games on the ColecoVision and Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System.

Source

I am not sure if my most hyped game was Halo 2 or World of Warcraft. It was one of those two for sure, but I can not decide which one it was. World of Warcraft absolutely lived up to my hype for it. As for Halo 2, the multiplayer side of things lived up to my hype for it, but the campaign was a bit of a letdown to me. That has a lot to do with the E3 2k3 trailer being so damn awesome, though.

Top Bottom