• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony looking to make films of R&C, J&D, Sly Cooper and more [Update: Sony cover-up?]

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I believe Warner recently shut down their DTV studio (Warner Premiere?) so no chance of that I'm afraid.

Seems they shut it down August 13th this year, so I guess that means no Lost Boys 4, even though both LB2 and 3 supposedly were profitable for Warner.

what the fuck?
so I can hire the guys that did the writing for The Incredibles and Finding Nemo, and then hire a animation team at my community college and get a great movie out of it.
HIGHLY unlikely.
HIGHLY

The movie itself is a joint effort. Period.

The fuck? Way to take what I said completely out of context. We're talking about studios like Sony Pictures Animation and Pixar, not just anybody. For example, I don't think How to Train a Dragon has better animation than WALL-E but I sure as hell think it's a far better movie.

Acrylic7

The fuck? Way to take what I said completely out of context. We're talking about studios like Sony Pictures Animation and Pixar, not just anybody. For example, I don't think How to Train a Dragon has better animation than WALL-E but I sure as hell think it's a far better movie.

Its a joint effort.
You have to match the directer/writer with concept artists/animators of the same level or shits just not going to cut it.

Takao

Banned
It's a shame Warner Premiere will be able to release this:

5K2Cw.jpg

Its a joint effort.
You have to match the directer/writer with concept artists/animators of the same level or shits just not going to cut it.

Sure but the director gets say over a lot of that stuff and it's not much different from any movie with visual effects really.

But regardless, what on earth makes you think Sony Pictures Animation are incapable of making a movie based on those series? And why did you think those movies would suddenly hurt Sony when Sony Pictures already produce plenty of movies?

Acrylic7

Sure but the director gets say over a lot of that stuff and it's not much different from any movie with visual effects really.

But regardless, what on earth makes you think Sony Pictures Animation are incapable of making a movie based on those series? And why did you think those movies would suddenly hurt Sony when Sony Pictures already produce plenty of movies?

They aren't that good at making movies, and I personally don't think these gaming franchise would make good movies. I have thoroughly explored all of these games, and I am not interested in seeing them outside of games. What would a ratchet Movie accomplish? what would a Jak movie Accomplish, or even a Sly movie? The worlds are great but I cant see myself watching Ratchet or anyone doing the things that they do on a big screen.
but hey its just my opinion, like what you like.

SykoTech

You know, I'm not really sure who a Jak & Daxter movie would be aimed at (aside from fans of course). The series took a pretty serious turn, but still has a cartoony look. I don't know if kids will care much for angsty Jak, but the franchise isn't really mature enough to be aimed at adults either.

Ratchet & Clank however is a no-brainer, and a Sly Cooper movie could find its footing as well. Make them happen.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FYI Sony has it's own animation group (Sony Pictures Animation). They will be releasing Hotel Transylvania. They did the awesome movies Surf's Up and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think a theatrical Ratchet & Clank film budgeted at $60-$90 million could do well at getting people who've never heard about the series in seats. The characters are striking, and their universe is pretty entertaining.

You're right about that. Quark and Dr Nefarious is the parodying the right genre at the right time (maybe even better in a couple of years when people are really getting sick of super heroes), and Clank is an absolutely fabulous character period.

Not only that, but the theaters are starved for cross generational franchises. Thats why they care so much about super hero movies right now. All these franchises have potential to do that. I'm just not sure if Ratchet being front and center on a movie poster is going to make people excited that don't know of Ratchet and Clank. Maybe if Quark was put front and center though...

vazel

Banned
It's a shame more videogames aren't getting cartoons. I remember the '80s-90s had plenty of them. It's mostly tie-in novels and comic books now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's a shame more videogames aren't getting cartoons. I remember the '80s-90s had plenty of them. It's mostly tie-in novels and comic books now.

something about games nowadays targeting the "mature" audience

Takao

Banned

Namco Bandai is spending a lot of coin on a CG Pac-Man cartoon series where he's in high school or something. I shit you not.

goldenpp72

I could be weird but, I actually found the stories of the ratchet games to be in general quite good and funny, and one of the reasons I love the series is because at times it feels like i'm watching a well written cg cartoon.

A crack in time in particular was very good for me here, so i'd like to see an adaption. Jak.. they would need to do a lot of restructuring to make it work as only daxter matters in that duo in this case. Sly is harder for me to imagine being done in a way to capture me for 90 minutes, love the games though.

Thomaticus`

Neo Member
That's a good idea. Great characters need to be on the big screen. Sony needs to reward their first party developers with some additional opportunities to make some money. First part devs make great games but they don't get o make as much profit as they deserve to make.

M.D

I was just looking at the Wiki for Hotel Transylvania (made by Sony Pictures Animation) when I saw this

Video games

A social game based on the film, titled Hotel Transylvania Social Game, and developed by Sony Pictures Interactive, was released on August 15, 2012. The game allows players to create their own Hotel Transylvania, where they must take care over hotel guests.[23]

Another video game, titled Hotel Transylvania, developed by Way Forward and published by GameMill Entertainment, will be released on September 18, 2012, for Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS.[24][25]

A mobile game, titled Hotel Transylvania Dash, developed by Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. and PlayFirst, will be released to iTunes App Store on September 20, 2012. The game will be a variation of Hotel Dash mobile game and will feature the film's art and characters.[26]

Takao

Banned
Oh, I didn't realize Sony Pictures still developed and published video games. That is really stupid. But okay.

onQ123

'Cut the Rope' TV game show announced by Sony Pictures

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...-tv-game-show-announced-by-sony-pictures.html

Cut the Rope will be transformed into a TV game show, Sony Pictures has announced.

Sony's television division has partnered with Cut the Rope developer ZeptoLab to deliver a live action game show based around the game's Om Nom character.

© ZeptoLab

The deal also grants Sony Pictures Television a first look at all properties developed by ZeptoLab in the future.

"Every hour of every day, app producers are creating new ways to entertain global audiences, with Cut the Rope offering one of the most striking examples," explained Sony Picture Television's Wayne Garvie.

"ZeptoLab is a pioneer in bringing innovative, witty and addictive apps to the world. We share a similar passion and ambition at SPT and this collaboration will lead to forms of entertainment across all possible partners," he added.

ZeptoLab CEO Misha Lyalin, meanwhile, said that the deal would bring the game to life in a "brand new, interactive way".

"Sony Pictures Television has an amazing track record in developing hugely successful game shows on television," he said.

"We love the idea of our fans being able to see and engage with Om Nom on the television screen and this partnership with Sony Pictures Television will let fans do just that, bringing Cut the Rope to life in a brand new, interactive way."

> Mobile Games Round-Up: 'Cut The Rope: Experiments'

Cut the Rope sees players attempt to feed Om Nom candy by cutting it free from ropes and avoiding traps.

Available for iOS, Android, Mac OS and other portable devices, it has been downloaded more than 250 million times since its 2010 launch.

It ranked within the top-five most downloaded premium iOS apps earlier this year.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
If I recall correctly Sony Pictures is a separate entity from SCEI, though it would make sense for them to pair up together for producing cheap CGI films of Sony game franchises. I vaguely remember hearing that Spyro was being developed as a TV/film franchise too.

Takao

Banned
Amazing isn't it? Sony Pictures won't adapt SCE's IPs but they have no problem picking up a third party's.

If I recall correctly Sony Pictures is a separate entity from SCEI, though it would make sense for them to pair up together for producing cheap CGI films of Sony game franchises. I vaguely remember hearing that Spyro was being developed as a TV/film franchise too.

The Spyro movie was canceled a few years ago.

AznSniper

So, we have the confirmation on the Ratchet & Clank movie coming. Think the Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper movies are in the works too?

Toppot

So, we have the confirmation on the Ratchet & Clank movie coming. Think the Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper movies are in the works too?

Blockade are wrapping up the Heavenly Sword film, Helping with the Ratchet and Clank film, and are pre production on another film.

I would guess its a Sly film, given that it had a new game out recently, it was also listed next on the original site source.

Top Bottom