• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Turning to SF GAF for help. Got a friend/roommate looking for a room as my wife and I are wanting to expand our family. Great person. We've been following a couple of the shared bathroom/kitchen $600-$900 postings but are really trying to hit everyone up as it's a numbers game at this point. Anyone have any friends or family looking to fill a space? We all currently work/live in the city.

broz0rs

man this rain has been unreal. This morning had clear blue skies with the most golden morning sun, but PSYCHE! by 1:00pm the rain poured the crap out of where I lived.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even trust the blue skies I see, if there are clouds surrounding it. Every day that we got a ray of sunshine, the clouds blew on by and it would rain again. Off. On. Off. On. Alllll week! It's calm right now for me, but it'll prob start dumping rain soon. The wind last night was brutal though!

why do I live here

IyhA0Cg.jpg

MXRider

While this thread has already been bumped, does anyone have any recommendations on things to do/places to go for GDC week? This is for a group of people that have never been to SF before.

Why tho San Jose is boring af

Only thing I can figure it out is that they are basing it off of the median income of people who work in San Jose compared to the price of homes in San Jose. Seems logical on the surface, but with the bay area's screwed up geography, there's literally 100 cities within driving distance of San Jose, and yet it's where very few of the high paying jobs are.

So people work 10 minutes away in, say Mountain View and make a huge salary, but live in San Jose. While people in Mountain View also work in Mountain View. So really Mountain View is even more unaffordable, but the study doesn't take that into account because the income of those people who live in San Jose but work in Mountain View is considered Mountain View income

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
2 parking tickets in a week, month ago my wife gets a muni citation after being let on the bus when the clipper scanner wasn't working and you can damn sure guarantee they will get that money, but someone just stole my wife's wallet including $300 dollars and her greencard when we were on the 38 and you can be sure we'll never see that stuff again. Combine that with current politics and it's been a rough year so far.

After all of this my wife is really wanting to move back to Japan. Getting hard to defend the US everyday.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm going to finally be over in the SJ region next week to actually look at places. 🙈

Wish me luck, working-wealthy gaf!

Hi Bay GAF.

I am taking a job in Mountain View and I could really use some advice about where to live. Ideally we would find a 2 bedroom apartment (or townhouse?) within a 20-25 minute drive.

I'm not sure if I should go south/east, i.e. toward Santa Clara or Campbell? Or the other direction (Palo Alto)?

Since we're not sure if my wife is going to find work soon, I don't think we could afford more than $2500/month maximum, and preferably closer to $2200 if possible.

Any suggestions would be great. I know I could consider the Caltrain and whatnot but we have free parking at work so it would be nice to drive straight to my building, if traffic isn't going to be a nightmare.

Thanks.

Trevelyan

Banned
Hi Bay GAF.

I am taking a job in Mountain View and I could really use some advice about where to live. Ideally we would find a 2 bedroom apartment (or townhouse?) within a 20-25 minute drive.

I'm not sure if I should go south/east, i.e. toward Santa Clara or Campbell? Or the other direction (Palo Alto)?

Since we're not sure if my wife is going to find work soon, I don't think we could afford more than $2500/month maximum, and preferably closer to $2200 if possible.

Any suggestions would be great. I know I could consider the Caltrain and whatnot but we have free parking at work so it would be nice to drive straight to my building, if traffic isn't going to be a nightmare.

Thanks.

It's going to be VERY hard, if not near impossible, to find a 2BR place for less than $2500. That said, definitely look south as it will be cheaper. I really loved the Campbell area when I used to live in Los Gatos, but it can be pretty pricey. If you want a 2BR, be prepared for at least $3k.

It's going to be VERY hard, if not near impossible, to find a 2BR place for less than $2500. That said, definitely look south as it will be cheaper. I really loved the Campbell area when I used to live in Los Gatos, but it can be pretty pricey. If you want a 2BR, be prepared for at least $3k.

Shiet.. I'm guessing to get low $2000s I'll need to step down to a 1BR then?

I had another aunt that used to live in Campbell. She said it was a really nice area. Is the commute from Campbell to Mountain View rough?

Thanks for the tips.

Shiet.. I'm guessing to get low $2000s I'll need to step down to a 1BR then?

That's about right, yeah. There are places you can find a 2br for a number that's technically $2xxx but these days it's not gonna be common.

I had another aunt that used to live in Campbell. She said it was a really nice area. Is the commute from Campbell to Mountain View rough?

Probably looking at 45-60 minutes drive at commute hours.

That's about right, yeah. There are places you can find a 2br for a number that's technically $2xxx but these days it's not gonna be common.

Probably looking at 45-60 minutes drive at commute hours.

Thanks. My supervisor said I can work whatever hours I want, so maybe I can come in very early and leave early.

Things are so cheap where I am in Canada. Ahhhhh!

finalflame

Gold Member
Its been real boys, I'm moving to Seattle after getting a job offer at my dream (gaming) job :)

I'll miss the Bay Area, but MAN do I love Seattle after all my visits. Rain hype.

Alcander

Hi Bay GAF.

Thanks.

I'd expect to pay around 3k for a fairly shabby 2BR, unfortunately. MV, PA, Los gatos, campbell, menlo park, etc, are all pretty pricey. Maybe check out RWC or sunnyvale. You can get closer to EPA if you're comfortable and the prices will come down a bit.

Hey all - I know people ask questions about cost of living in the Bay Area and this is another so I apologize. It just feels hard to predict the cost in the Bay Area and there are so many god damn neighborhoods.

I currently live in Vancouver BC Canada and I'm interviewing for a job in SF. It's kind of near Union Square in the Financial District.

Vancouver is damn expensive but mainly to own and rental prices are bad but not as bad as SF. Currently after CAD to USD conversion my rent in Vancouver is $2100 USD a month for 850 sq ft with 2 bedrooms in the heart of downtown. To buy this place, its about 1.5 million so you can see where the crazy prices are here in Vancouver if you choose to own. Obviously I won't find that great of a deal for rent there and I expect this job to pay more to compensate.

I don't have a car. I sold it before moving to Vancouver. I used to live in the US. I'm a US citizen. I use public transportation up here and mix a few car shares every once in a while if I need to rent something. Probably won't want to own a car in SF but not opposed to it as I do miss just being able to drive to places without having to figure out car shares.

Any suggestions on where to live? I would want a short walk or quick public transportation commute. I do own a dog (Boxer) and so he's a factor. I also heard west parts can be more cloudy and rainy each year than the eastern part of DT? Do most places come with parking DT? What type of pricing should I expect for a 1 bedroom around 700 sq ft downtown? Also I hear the Tenderloin is bad. Is it pretty terrible? Went around on Google Streetview and it isn't pretty for sure but wasn't sure if pockets of it are better or all is a no go. What is the typically salary someone should be making to live comfortably alone DT? I'm factoring after taxes that about 65-66% of my salary will be my take home (hoping this is right)

Thanks all. May have more questions later. <3

Hey all - I know people ask questions about cost of living in the Bay Area and this is another so I apologize. It just feels hard to predict the cost in the Bay Area and there are so many god damn neighborhoods.

I currently live in Vancouver BC Canada and I'm interviewing for a job in SF. It's kind of near Union Square in the Financial District.

Vancouver is damn expensive but mainly to own and rental prices are bad but not as bad as SF. Currently after CAD to USD conversion my rent in Vancouver is $2100 USD a month for 850 sq ft with 2 bedrooms in the heart of downtown. To buy this place, its about 1.5 million so you can see where the crazy prices are here in Vancouver if you choose to own. Obviously I won't find that great of a deal for rent there and I expect this job to pay more to compensate.

I don't have a car. I sold it before moving to Vancouver. I used to live in the US. I'm a US citizen. I use public transportation up here and mix a few car shares every once in a while if I need to rent something. Probably won't want to own a car in SF but not opposed to it as I do miss just being able to drive to places without having to figure out car shares.

Any suggestions on where to live? I would want a short walk or quick public transportation commute. I do own a dog (Boxer) and so he's a factor. I also heard west parts can be more cloudy and rainy each year than the eastern part of DT? Do most places come with parking DT? What type of pricing should I expect for a 1 bedroom around 700 sq ft downtown? Also I hear the Tenderloin is bad. Is it pretty terrible? Went around on Google Streetview and it isn't pretty for sure but wasn't sure if pockets of it are better or all is a no go. What is the typically salary someone should be making to live comfortably alone DT? I'm factoring after taxes that about 65-66% of my salary will be my take home (hoping this is right)

Thanks all. May have more questions later. <3
A 1-bedroom downtown will run you upwards of $3500 a month most likely. Almost none of them will come with parking, and most will not allow big dogs. the Tenderloin is not a great neighborhood but they are typically more dog-friendly.

Would be much easier to find a place west of downtown, from lower haight all the way out to the richmond or sunset, or further south towards daly city. in any of those cases you're looking at a bus/muni/bart commute though

A 1-bedroom downtown will run you upwards of $3500 a month most likely. Almost none of them will come with parking, and most will not allow big dogs. the Tenderloin is not a great neighborhood but they are typically more dog-friendly.

Would be much easier to find a place west of downtown, from lower haight all the way out to the richmond or sunset, or further south towards daly city. in any of those cases you're looking at a bus/muni/bart commute though

Thanks. Crud - Yeah trying to stay away from a bus if at all possible in a commute. But I will have to take a look around.

broz0rs

If you're commuting by public transport in SF, you'll most likely rely on the subway (BART) than the bus. It's a very convenient public transport.

I have some friends who all make in the mid $100k and they live in Oakland (Jack London Square). They commute to work to SF using BART. They said it's pretty convenient.

If you're commuting by public transport in SF, you'll most likely rely on the subway (BART) than the bus. It's a very convenient public transport.

I have some friends who all make in the mid $100k and they live in Oakland (Jack London Square). They commute to work to SF using BART. They said it's pretty convenient.
ehhh it's not all that convenient. Bart's been having issues, lots of delays. Honestly I've never had a problem using the bus system in SF proper

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BART also doesn't provide full coverage of SF, you're likely going to need to use MUNI at some point (whether it's the bus or the metro rail).

ehhh it's not all that convenient. Bart's been having issues, lots of delays. Honestly I've never had a problem using the bus system in SF proper

wait what? i grew up in S.F. now living in East Oakland (coliseum) ...when i was living in S.F. i use to take the N Judah home everyday (31st ave and Kirkham) it fucking takes 40-1hr each day to get home not including some day they have switchback where they just drop you off random stop because they have too many trolley running ....from civic center, now living in Oakland i take Bart and it takes me 25min ...even with delays with BART i'm still home faster then taking Muni...

just get a Clipper card so you can use it on BART and MUNI ....

olympia

once you're on bart it's fine. but waiting for a delayed train is the worst shit. bart has been having it's share of problems lately

I'd expect to pay around 3k for a fairly shabby 2BR, unfortunately. MV, PA, Los gatos, campbell, menlo park, etc, are all pretty pricey. Maybe check out RWC or sunnyvale. You can get closer to EPA if you're comfortable and the prices will come down a bit.

Thanks. Yeah, 1BR it is. We'll just have a futon for guests. I thought that might be a sticking point with my wife, but no big deal.

Damn you expensive housing market!

Also, I need to get a US phone carrier... from what I've seen it looks like Verizon has pretty good bay area coverage. Yay/nay?

wait what? i grew up in S.F. now living in East Oakland (coliseum) ...when i was living in S.F. i use to take the N Judah home everyday (31st ave and Kirkham) it fucking takes 40-1hr each day to get home not including some day they have switchback where they just drop you off random stop because they have too many trolley running ....from civic center, now living in Oakland i take Bart and it takes me 25min ...even with delays with BART i'm still home faster then taking Muni...

just get a Clipper card so you can use it on BART and MUNI ....
I live by Macarthur, I lived at Civic Center for a couple years. Taking the N can be a shitshow or it can be fine, or taking BART in can be like 25 minutes or an hour if there's a medical emergency at Embarcadero like there always is. and if you're taking the N you could also take the 7 (used to be 71). There are more options in SF than in Oakland at least

finalflame

Gold Member
Thanks. Yeah, 1BR it is. We'll just have a futon for guests. I thought that might be a sticking point with my wife, but no big deal.

Damn you expensive housing market!

Also, I need to get a US phone carrier... from what I've seen it looks like Verizon has pretty good bay area coverage. Yay/nay?

Verizon is the best money can buy. Work provides me both an ATT and VZW phone, and the coverage and overall performance on my VZW phone is better.

Verizon is the best money can buy. Work provides me both an ATT and VZW phone, and the coverage and overall performance on my VZW phone is better.
At least a few years ago Verizon was oversubscribed so you wouldn't get as good service as they said you would. ATT is the best here but I'm still on TMo on principle and for actual unlimited, free tethering, out of country data, etc. You will lose service in certain buildings and in bart tunnels though that you wouldn't with ATT.

finalflame

Gold Member
Great, thanks!

I just noticed you're thinking of moving to SF -- my anecdote is from mostly living/working in the South Bay/Silicon Valley area. It's worth also considering thezerofire's opinion:

At least a few years ago Verizon was oversubscribed so you wouldn't get as good service as they said you would. ATT is the best here but I'm still on TMo on principle and for actual unlimited, free tethering, out of country data, etc. You will lose service in certain buildings and in bart tunnels though that you wouldn't with ATT.

Where ATT might provide better service in the city. When I do go to the city (most weekends) I don't experience any issues, however :)

I just noticed you're thinking of moving to SF -- my anecdote is from mostly living/working in the South Bay/Silicon Valley area. It's worth also considering thezerofire's opinion:

Where ATT might provide better service in the city. When I do go to the city (most weekends) I don't experience any issues, however :)

Ah, I said SF but I guess I meant the south bay area. I will be working in Mountain View.

thezerofire, thanks for the comments. I will have to look into that. It's not super critical, I'll just want to grab a phone ASAP after moving so it would be nice to know ahead of time what I want.

Ah, I said SF but I guess I meant the south bay area. I will be working in Mountain View.

thezerofire, thanks for the comments. I will have to look into that. It's not super critical, I'll just want to grab a phone ASAP after moving so it would be nice to know ahead of time what I want.

Redwood City resident here and you should consider renting a place here. Rent isn't as expensive as MV, Palo Alto, Campbell, etc and it's pretty much a straight shot down El Camino Real south to get to MV. Plus we have one of the best Mexican places in the Bay Area called El Grullense

Redwood City resident here and you should consider renting a place here. Rent isn't as expensive as MV, Palo Alto, Campbell, etc and it's pretty much a straight shot down El Camino Real south to get to MV. Plus we have one of the best Mexican places in the Bay Area called El Grullense

Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look into it!

finalflame

Gold Member
What is with people asking for pet rent? Honestly. Lol.

Landlords here can basically be as restrictive as they'd like with tenant requirements/fees (within the law) because the market is so heavily skewed in their favor. As a prospective tenant, you basically have 0 leverage.

power.jpg

880 at Bascom/Alameda in San Jose is closed in both directions due to a downed power line/tree.

Quite a few downed trees in several San Jose neighborhoods and train tracks!

Have to rant about work today. I always hear about people wanting to support local places and such, especially around here. What a load. Four people walked into the shop today, turn around 20 seconds later and head to the chain competition across the road.

Sigh.

Meanwhile I'm absolutely loving the rain because if I can't be in WA, at least I can have that!

Top Bottom