• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

But... why would you ignore the 3DS?

Completely OT, but honestly couldn't resist.

Introducing everyone's favourite Steam game!

I ignored the DS too. They were the first systems. They sold tons. But total Gen 8 sales dont touch total Gen 7 sales. Including the 3DS and the DS makes the comparison worse for Gen 8. The hardware decline over the last 6 and a half years has been real. A lot of people this gen havent bought dedicated hardware.

Oregano

Wasn't sure where to put this but seemed relevant to this Capcom discussion and TGS.

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/910738721250488320

For anyone curious, David Gibson is an analyst and would often live tweet Nintendo investor meetings and Q&As before a policy change at the company he works for.

But yeah, I would think this to be the case too with how Japan has responded to the Switch, and reading (lurking) Media Create threads a lot. General software sales being very good/great for most titles. Just makes it that more baffling at Capcom's support despite their knowledge with how well the reach Switch has in grabbing people's interest.

You think they'd be more excited to support what would probably be the first hardware in a decade to bring new users into the market en masse.

lyrick

You think they'd be more excited to support what would probably be the first hardware in a decade to bring new users into the market en masse.

Nah they're still pretending to play king maker while completely ignoring actual market response.

Fiendcode

True, my point was more along the lines of people saying that would be the only one
Speaking of which it wouldn't sirprise me if Switch also got Frontier Z now that DQX and PSO2 are making the jump.

That obviously wouldn't be the rumored 5th Gen title from the P/X team though. Frontier is made by the Tokyo MMO team.

L~A

Speaking of which it wouldn't sirprise me if Switch also got Frontier Z now that DQX and PSO2 are making the jump.

Well, even if the damn Wii U got MHF, there's no way in hell the Switch isn't going to get it at one point.

Ace Attorney 6 (Spirit of Justice) just released on iOS. - Source

I bet AA7 will have a simultaneous release on Switch and mobile.

Hmm? Why would you assume that? Because of AA6?

See I don't think Capcom wants to go down the path of localizing 2 very similar products. I think they want to keep the West ecosystem transitioned to the playstation, xbox, PC ecosystems and not partition the userbase over multiple games. If World is successful why exactly would they want to concurrently run 2 products that split the userbase and require owning new hardware?

With the way Capcom has planned for the Switch and the other systems it tells me they don't plan on actually treating the system as a priority. And with XX to me it says they really aren't interested in keeping the Nintendo ecosystem engaged in Monster Hunter. We'll see but I think a lot of people are making an assumption that because the Switch is successful that means Capcom will have both the resources and will to run competing MH brands.

To me they already have shown that they don't.

I don't think XX was just about time management. I think Capcom wants MH players in the West to play on the ecosystems they have established for World. I don't think this is about whether the Switch does well. And I think that's also why the game is called Monster Hunter World and not MH5.

_________

Again I dont know why you guys have faith in Capcom localizing a Switch game. Why wouldn't you localize the HD port if you wanted to habe more MH switch games in the West? Is this how you inspire a userbase? I feel like before we knew MHXX wouldn't be localized what yall were saying had some base. But now? Feels more like you just have blind faith Capcom will do the right thing. Since when has Capcom earned that benefit of the doubt? Was it when they didn't localize a half localized game?

I agree. The only way a MH Switch would come West if Nintendo Publishes it like MH Stories.

Fiendcode

It's one thing to not port over easy rom titles and say w/e on some missed sales. It's another thing entirely to change course with your second biggest franchise that you are trying to transition into a bigger western entity.

Again, do you think they will want to localize what will essentially be 2 series of the same franchise that (for all intents and purposes are the same game honestly) will cause question about the future iterations of the franchise? I don't frankly. Capcom said they don't want anything distracting from World. As soon as they release a Switch Monster Hunter people now know that they can get monster hunter outside the "World" ecosystem. I don't see why they would abandon this thought process.

Especially since XX is far less of a threat to any future MHW branded titles than whatever the Switch ends up getting. You guys say the Switch is selling well and that changes everything. I don't think Capcom cares about that more than making the Western userbase know you go to these ecosystems to get MH from now on.
Who said it's changing course completely though? If Gen 5 Switch exists it's because Capcom was hedging their bets long before now. If there's any course change it's because of Switch's global success, and that's also supposing there were no longer term Switch localization plans in the first place.

And you're too fixated on this "two lines" thing too, we don't even know the future Switch MH will be. Capcom had no issue bringing over the Freedom series or Generations before, they already seem fine with varying product lines across different platforms. See also Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, etc. This idea that they're only ever going to bring over World seems like an excessive response due to the XX mess only.

Laplasakos

Monster Hunter World preorders were freakingly high yesterday!

Are you talking about a specific shop/chain or in general? I checked COMG yesterday to see if the game managed to chart already but it seems that they haven't opened pre orders yet.

horuhe

Are you talking about a specific shop/chain or in general? I checked COMG yesterday to see if the game managed to chart already but it seems that they haven't opened pre orders yet.

In general, visited Yodobashi Kyoto. Collectors Edition and PS4 Bundle is are not even available already.

Vena

In general, visited Yodobashi Kyoto. Collectors Edition and PS4 Bundle is are not even available already.

Similar was true last night on amazon, though it since normalized. Of course, amazon is fairly ignorable for Japan.

This is a core franchise, I expect strong pre-orders.

fortunato

Banned
True, my point was more along the lines of people saying that would be the only one

...which was perfectly reasonable given the history of the franchise. Given all the information available at that point in time, the most reasonable predictions all had Capcom developing Monster Hunter for the next Nintendo handheld device. Similarly to how everyone was expecting Monster Hunter coming to PS Vita before 3G/4 were announced.

FE Warriors will probably sell along the lines of Hyrule Warriors on Wii U FW (69k).

On one hand, musou games have declined in popularity. On the other hand, FEW is on a much more popular platform than HW. So I think it’ll balance out for the most part.

gtj1092

Edge_Maverick noticed that Square Enix put out their annual report. I'll probably put up quite a few threads as I get through this.

In this section they mention:
- Final Fantasy XV was a blockbuster success
- Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were major critical hits and show the company can make great games
- Nier was way above expectations and they'll be working to build it into a major franchise going forward

These were all fairly obvious, but I thought people would be most interested in point 3.

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2017en.pdf

Cross posting if Nirolak doesn't mind. Wanted to highlight a successful Japanese publisher. Hopefully it quells some of the concern about the market and publishers dissappearing.

Vena

Cross posting if Nirolak doesn't mind. Wanted to highlight a successful Japanese publisher. Hopefully it quells some of the concern about the market and publishers dissappearing.

SE is not one of the publishers one would generally consider in danger of disappearing.

Aters

It's funny because every game SE listed here finds greater success oversea. Especially FFXV, which did terribly in Japan while all the other regions saved the day.

Deku89

48q32rJ.png

Laplasakos

It's funny because every game SE listed here finds greater success oversea. Especially FFXV, which did terribly in Japan while all the other regions saved the day.

FFXV did 1.1m in Japan. Even with discounts, it's far from being a terrible number. Because otherwise, we can call Yokai Watch 3 a bomba.

Vena

I mean, I'd consider YW3's performance to have been indeed terrible as it spelled the irreversible decline of the franchise, and Level 5 is still unable to recover from its performance.

Also, all of those were games primarily floated by not-Japan, which is sometimes a different discussion to the angle discussed here.

And of course not a word on DQXI which, at this point, can probably be considered underperforming.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean, I'd consider YW3's performance to have been indeed terrible as it spelled the irreversible decline of the franchise, and Level 5 is still unable to recover from its performance.

And of course not a word on DQXI which, at this point, can probably be considered underperforming.
That wasn't within that fiscal year.

Vena

does that 1.1m include digital though? (genuinely asking)

I think we often forget digital in the MC threads.

I would assume 1.1mil has to be including some portion digital as the title most certainly hasn't achieved 1.1mil at retail. Its only now just barely reaching 1mil and has been in bomba-bins for months.

That wasn't within that fiscal year.

Ah. I misread, my mistake!

Oemenia

Banned
Well, they kept dropping platforms for one (Wii, PSP, 3DS) while not adding platforms that would've made sense (Vita, Switch). Maybe they could add Switch next year but it's going to require a Fox Engine port.
On just the PS3 it sold 500k standard.

Laplasakos

FFXV takes easily the crown for last year's bigger bomb from YW3 only from the fact it collapsed at price almost immediately.

Nah, if someone must take the crown, then it's easily YW3, for the single fact that before it's release, the franchise was at it's highest peak (YW2), something that can not be said for FF.

Laplasakos

The single fact is that retailers are flooded with FFXV copies for months and can't get rid of them.

I think it's a matter of time. On Dengeki it has been selling 2.5-3k weekly for some time now and without a Definitive Edition on sight and with the future updates/DLC, i think they will.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retailers also managed to sell almost the entire initial shipment of Monster Strike after more than a year. That must be a big victory for them.

Top Bottom