• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Pretty excited to play this even though I probably won't find it to be all that good. I really hope this year revitalizes 3D platformers. It's a genre that clearly has loads of potential but it's really difficult to make good 3D platformers due to loads of variables.

Vendi looks absolutely horrifying.

robotrock

Banned
What does everyone think their next genre will be? (provided it's not 2ka-Laylee)

Didn't they say they were gonna do a whole gaming universe around the world of Yooka Laylee? Like an Marvel Cinematic Universe thing.

I expect another collectathon 3D platformer

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished World 2 pre-expansion and it's even better than the first world. I did end up getting frustrated at a section with the transformation (The same part GameXplain mentioned) but then I realized that I was being dumb and didn't need to jump at all.

I just finished World 2 pre-expansion and it's even better than the first world. I did end up getting frustrated at a section with the transformation (The same part GameXplain mentioned) but then I realized that I was being dumb and didn't need to jump at all.

Did you get an early copy of the game or am I missing something?

PS4 digital backers got their codes earlier today.

Ah, thanks for answering.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Same here. Though I have to say that the controls of this transformation are definitely not good.

Not sure if you guys already saw this.

Digital Foundry "Does Yooka-Laylee really have performance problems?"

"Perhaps not surprisingly, the PC version is the best way to experience the game, but Team 17's ports deliver nicely. Both PS4 and Xbox One operate at full 1080p with excellent texture filtering and a very nice soft depth of field applied to distant objects. Anti-aliasing isn't of the highest quality but with the soft focus effect in play, the overall impression is that Yooka-Laylee delivers great image quality. Those looking to ramp up resolution or frame-rate on PS4 Pro are going to be disappointed - there's no native support, meaning that boost mode is the only way to theoretically extract any additional performance.

Here's our complete technical breakdown of Yooka-Laylee on all platforms - we like it!
But the reality is that we encountered no frame-rate issues on PlayStation 4 at all. We tested the title on base hardware and with boost mode enabled on Pro and the end result is identical - a completely locked, properly frame-paced 30fps. Performance is entirely consistent with the day one patch in place, but in actual fact, we tested the pre-update review code too and found a level, locked frame-rate there too. We never managed to trigger any stuttering or slowdown at all. Could it happen? Of course, we can't cover every single corner of the game, but you can expect your general experience to be very stable."

Edit: oh looks like Its old. My bad

FaintDeftone

I'm excited to see how everyone feels about the game so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm curious to see where the reception goes. The game has its flaws but I feel I got pretty much what Playtonic pitched to us.

Yeah there's a thread on here about it. I've played a few hours on base PS4 and it runs great. Haven't had any issues at all that I've noticed.

I didn't know about this so this was very good news to hear. I was expected a bit of a mess on PS4, considering what GameXplain's review said about the Xbone. 60fps would have been ideal but a stable 30fps will do just fine. Banjo Kazooie played mostly fine at 20fps on N64 so I doubt it'll present a problem.

Feeroper

That's my plan, too. Buy it now and if I enjoy it enough, double dip on Switch.

This is what I'm doing too. I'm picking up the PS4 version tomorrow, and will go Switch as well if I like it like I hope I do. I'm really excited for this game. Between Zelda, Persona 5 and this, not to mention the army of great games so far this year, there is tons to play through in the coming summer months.

Yoshi

For those that have played it, where is this game on the scale of Rare collectathons?

I have only gotten about a third of the pagies, so take this with a grain of salt. So far it is tied with Tooie as number two for me. I would describe it as Banjo-Kazooie on the scale of Donkey Kong 64. So the worlds are quite big, but the game is not filled with redundant paths you have to walk along with five characters and the world is more densely packed than in DK64. One could say this is a bit like Tooie then, but the game is not nearly as complex as Tooie. You need to be aware of your surroundings and have an open eye while playing, as well as memorising the layout of the levels, but there is nothing so far that is as complex as a boatload of jiggys in Tooie. Each individual Pagie feels to me like a Kazooie jiggy.

It is a really great game, I enjoy it more than Zelda BotW, it is not perfect though, so it is not Kazooie level of quality.

hydruxo

I didn't know about this so this was very good news to hear. I was expected a bit of a mess on PS4, considering what GameXplain's review said about the Xbone. 60fps would have been ideal but a stable 30fps will do just fine. Banjo Kazooie played mostly fine at 20fps on N64 so I doubt it'll present a problem.

I was definitely worried about it too, but it seems to be pretty solid performance wise. Really the only thing that takes some getting used to is the camera, but after an hour or so in the first world I was fine with it.

So you still can't preload on Steam? With my shitty speeds I might not be playing until Wednesday lol.

Nice OT btw. I just adore Trowzer's character design.

sirap

Glad to see the performance issues were greatly exaggerated. With the Switch port being handled in-house I'm hoping they manage to get a steady 30fps even if it means lowering the resolution to 900p.

Peff

NZFbQpL.jpg

Damnit, haha.

Dommel

Please give me an option to turn off those 'voices'.

Other than that, no issues on a Pro and game is pretty fun. Music is great, very cartoony and catchy.

Yoshi

Please give me an option to turn off those 'voices'.

Other than that, no issues on a Pro and have is pretty fun. Music is great, very cartoony and catchy.
I haven't tried it, because it would be sacrilegious, but there is an individual voices volume slider in the options, so you should be able to mute the characters. You of course should not, but you may.

Option-

Oh man, this game on the switch is like a dream come true. Will be so fun to play in bed, on couch, in the garden, balcony etc.

I hope the port´s gonna be good!

Skyzard

Banned
Oh man, this game on the switch is like a dream come true. Will be so fun to play in bed, on couch, in the garden, balcony etc.

I hope the port´s gonna be good!

Yeah I plan on playing this in bed with my phone and mount. Should be perfect bedtime gaming.

maxcriden

Really tempting to go in for $40 - how likely is a sale for the Xbox One version?

I wouldn't expect one for at least a few months, if not longer. If it has success similar to Shovel Knight for example I wouldn't expect sales for a while. Plus if they want Switch owners not to feel shortchanged when the game releases on that platform I expect they'll try to wait till after that release to do any sales.

Guess I'll wait then,thank you.

Yep, for now all we know is they're working to get it out ASAP and that it's coming this year. Hopefully we get a release date sometime soon.

I have only gotten about a third of the pagies, so take this with a grain of salt. So far it is tied with Tooie as number two for me. I would describe it as Banjo-Kazooie on the scale of Donkey Kong 64. So the worlds are quite big, but the game is not filled with redundant paths you have to walk along with five characters and the world is more densely packed than in DK64. One could say this is a bit like Tooie then, but the game is not nearly as complex as Tooie. You need to be aware of your surroundings and have an open eye while playing, as well as memorising the layout of the levels, but there is nothing so far that is as complex as a boatload of jiggys in Tooie. Each individual Pagie feels to me like a Kazooie jiggy.

It is a really great game, I enjoy it more than Zelda BotW, it is not perfect though, so it is not Kazooie level of quality.

This sounds pretty good to me. I vastly prefer the ways you got most Jiggies in Kazooie when compared to Tooie. Tooie felt like such a chore by the 4th world.

I was definitely worried about it too, but it seems to be pretty solid performance wise. Really the only thing that takes some getting used to is the camera, but after an hour or so in the first world I was fine with it.

I doubt the camera will be much of a problem for me. People complain all day about the camera in various 3D Sonic games and I've never found the camera to be that problematic in those. From what I've seen the camera looks like your typical 3D platformer camera.

Top Bottom