• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed to second half of 2018

http://www.vg247.com/2017/05/06/overkills-the-walking-dead-game-delayed-to-second-half-of-2018/

According to the Payday 2 developer, it along with partner Skybound Entertainment decided to extend production on The Walking Dead so the title could “reach its full potential.”

The delay will also allow the team to pursue its original vision a step further.

“Together with Skybound Entertainment we are fully dedicated to releasing an unforgettable experience for fans throughout world and then continue to support it with high quality content in the coming years,”said Starbreeze CEO Bo Andersson Klint.”

A livestream providing insight into the development of Overkill’s The Walking Dead will be hosted via Twitch next week on May 10.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have they even shown anything from it yet? It's always felt like they just had the license but haven't started on anything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Have they even shown anything from it yet? It's always felt like they just had the license but haven't started on anything with it yet.

Nope, unless you want to be generous and count the announcement teaser, but there'll presumably be some footage during the upcoming livestream event.

schaft0620

This was the VR game that came with it's own proprietary headset. I almost pissed my pants watching Geoff interview them. His reaction was priceless when they told him.

Zukkoyaki

I wonder how strong The Walking Dead license will be by the time this comes out. At the very least the show has been losing momentum.

It will still do well

It's going to be 4 years after the announcement.

For a game which was supposed to release last year I'm not optimistic as to how it's going to pan out.

Bump cause they announced a second engine switch today, going to Unreal and adapting their previous in house Valhalla engine work into a plugin for Unreal. They say it doesn't effect their release target so it's probably been in the works for a while.

I forgot this was even announced years ago, when I was still deep into playing Payday 2 almost every day.

Overkill really went to hell pretty quickly.

Faenix1

The cinematic trailer looks pretty good but knowing the developer it'll probably just be an evolved PayDay 2. And considering they turned PayDay 2 into a DLC whore - hard pass.

Here's hoping they actually treat their console audience with some respect this time.

Don't count on it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The cinematic trailer looks pretty good but knowing the developer it'll probably just be an evolved PayDay 2. And considering they turned PayDay 2 into a DLC whore - hard pass.

Don't count on it.
Oh I'm not. After how they treated the console versions of PayDay 2, not to mention the tweet from one of the devs, these assholes won't get a single cent from me until they prove they deserve it.

Which sucks for me because I really, really loved both PayDay games.

Given the dev, this has DLC/microtransaction/loot-box shit-show written all over it. I hope they prove me wrong...itd be cool to have one really good Walking Dead game before they wrap up the show (guessing thats gonna happen in the next couple years). But I'm not holding my breathe.

TimFL

I have no hope in this game. Delays after delays and they haven‘t even revealed what type of game it is (we know 4 player coop but is it open world? payday2 style? linear levels? so many questions). Looks to me like they have no idea themselves what type of game it is. Wouldn‘t be surprised if they threw it all over a few times already starting from scratch in terms of game design.

Also this is from the Payday2 devs so expect next to no console support (although that engine switch could help with multiplatform support) and hostile microtransactions.

NickFire

I played video and kept skipping hoping to see gameplay. Maybe I skipped too much but didn’t see it. Did same with dev diary. Not excited at all. Is this just a coop campaign game? If so not interested unless real cheap.

Geki-D

Banned
^ Pretty sure it's a L4D map by map thing. Far as I'm aware there hasn't even been a screenshot of gameplay released for this yet.

After seeing all of the character intros, I gotta say, I am impressed enough to consider owning this. I want to think it might be similar to left 4 dead.
The one with the old man, though.. wow, talk about walking on the fine line of uncanny valley.

Geki-D

Banned
Have you guys not played Payday 2? It's going to be that with zombies and more objectives.
It's pretty funny to see those character intros make the game look like it'll either be a massive open world game with a really heavy survival element or a Last of Us story type game with brutal contextual combat or both yet really it'll most likely be a map based zombie mow down'a'thon where you'll just be rushing to clear objective after objective as quickly as possible just like in L4D and Payday.

Anyone going off of those intros expecting the game to be like that are going to be seriously disappointed.

Snoopycat

Banned
Looks proper cheap but it probably be an alright PS+ title . Only thing I was wondering is why the guy barricaded the door when it opened inwards.

TimFL

Why did they even bother with the insane cinematics when the game looks like a late PS3 title. One way to kill the remaining hype surrounding your game I guess.

Watched through the gameplay video and this looks mediocre at best, probably a PS+ or GwG title in a year.

Top Bottom