• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite action hero this side of the century?

Finaika

KwMzxyX.gif

cdyhybrid

I can't pick just one.

John Wick
Rama (The Raid)
Black Mamba/Beatrix Kiddo (Kill Bill)
Dominic Toretto & Hobbes & Brian O'Conner (The Fast and the Furious)
Blade (it still counts shut up)
Max & Furiosa (Mad Max Fury Road)
Ethan Hunt (MIssion: Impossible)
Cage (Edge of Tomorrow)
Maximus (Gladiator)
Leonidas (300)
Bryan Mills (Taken)
Jin (House of Flying Daggers)
Sing (Kung Fu Hustle)
Napoleon Solo (Man From U.N.C.L.E.)
Yu Shu Lien & Li Mu Bai (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)

There have been a lot of great action movies since 2000.

Edit: I hesitated to include these but I guess I might as well since they've been mentioned:

Craig's Bond
Chris Evans' Captain America

Edit2: I need to watch Ip Man

Timbuktu

Donnie's 1 v 10 Ip Man fight scene is probably the second most memorable fight scene for me, particularly with the picking up the rice thing at the end that gave it so much weight.

The Grandmasters is gorgeous, but I felt Zhang Ziyi's character in that film was the more captivating and the true centre of the film. It's almost up there with the character than made her name in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I'm not sure why that film is a bit forgotten here, but her fight with Michelle Yeoh cycling through different weapons hadn't been topped IMO.

movies:
John Wick
Jynn Erso (Rogue One)
The Bride/ Beatrice Kiddo (Uma Therman)
Harry Hart (Kingsman)
Bond (Daniel Craig)
Jason Bourne (first three films)
Batman (Christian Bale)
Captain America (Chris Evans)
Django (Jamie Foxx)
Wonder Woman
Nicholas Angle (Hot Fuzz)

TV
The Flash
Arrow
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Sidney (Alias)
Jack Bauer (Only up to about season 5 but he was great)

Lupercal

Banned
John Rambo (Rambo 4)
Rocky Balboa (Rocky 6 & Creed)
Lawrence & Smith (Bad Boys 2)
Tony Jaa (Ong Bak)
Maximus (Gladiator)
John Wick
Rama (Raid 1&2)
Shinzaemon (13 Assassins)

I think a good one is Eggsy from Kingsman. It helps that I really like Matthew Vaughan's directing, but he's in some great action sequences in the climax of the film, from escaping from the private army to his face-off with Sofia Boutella. Mind you; he's probably outclassed by the excellent Colin Firth who has perhaps the most fun action scene in the film with the pub fight.

This probably makes me lame, but I have to say Captain America.

7vwh9Uc.gif

Elwp8yU.gif

Nah, that's not lame at all. The action in The Winter Soldier in particular is outstanding. I love the mini face-off he has with Batroc, and the downtown fight with Bucky is just fucking fantastic.

jdstorm

Banned
Guys

Jason Momoa*, Donnie Yen, Tony Ja, Chris Evans, Keanu Reeves, Tyreese Gibson, Tom Cruise Vin Diesel and The Rock.

Girls

Gal Gadot (The 3 best fast films + Wonder Woman)
Scarjo (Cap 2, Avengers, Lucy)
Charliese Theron ( everything)
Lucy Liu
Rebecca Ferguson ( Yes she was that good in MI5)

Honerable mentions
Kerri Russell
Chloe Bennet
Maggie Q
Chloe Moretz

Edit: People I Forgot

Michelle Yeoh
Kiera Knightly
Zoe Saldana
Vigo Mortensen (Aaragon)

The cast of District 13:Ultimatum.
That scene has amazing back-and-forth with Craig and Mikkelsen, but if I were to point to a scene that makes Craig a badass 007 and a favorite action hero of mine, it would be the

chase after the opening.

The biggest issue with this scene is its too reliant on Craig's stunt guy. All the cuts are way too obvious. At some point Action Heroes are Action Heroes because they can both act and fight at the same time.

6rZmmZ3.jpg

Wikus van de Merwe from District 9 is my favourite action hero because he is nothing like the usual action hero. His (literal) transformation from an asshole who evicts desperate Prawns from their homes to him fighting overwhelming odds in a goddamn alien battlesuit is amazing.

Schlorgan

6rZmmZ3.jpg

Wikus van de Merwe from District 9 is my favourite action hero because he is nothing like the usual action hero. His (literal) transformation from an asshole who evicts desperate Prawns from their homes to him fighting overwhelming odds in a goddamn alien battlesuit is amazing.

Also a good choice.

Top Bottom