• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casey Affleck doesn’t think his brother Ben will star in ‘The Batman’

Oh lord...damage control incoming...

Ben Affleck's brother Casey was a guest today on WEEI's sports radio show. They talked about all kinds of topics, and at one point host Rich Keefe asked about the rumors of Ben Affleck not starring in The Batman.

”I thought he was an okay Batman," Affleck joked. ”No, he was great. He was great. He's a hero, so he had something to channel and work with there. But he's not gonna do that movie, I don't think." You can listen to his comments at the 6:38 mark in the audio player below.

When the host informed Affleck that he just broke some major news, he backtracked a bit saying ”Is that breaking news? I was just kind of making that up."

Source: http://batman-news.com/2017/08/15/ben-affleck-batman-casey-affleck/

lFgAeqT.gif

kmfdmpig

If he's not why doesn't DC just come out and say so already. They have a good director in place, so if Ben doesn't play the role who really cares? It's not like audiences aren't used to different actors playing the role. In the last 30 years we've had Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and Affleck, so what's the difference if it's one more?

Are they worried that it will hurt JL to announce it now? I just don't understand why they don't definitively address the rumors one way or the other.

If he's not why doesn't DC just come out and say so already. They have a good director in place, so if Ben doesn't play the role who really cares? It's not like audiences aren't used to different actors playing the role. In the last 30 years we've had Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and Affleck, so what's the difference if it's one more?

Are they worried that it will hurt JL to announce it now? I just don't understand why they don't definitively address the rumors one way or the other.

I think it detracts from Justice League promo. And it could be a cool surprise for the Flashpoint movie when history is altered and Batman is younger/looks different.

Daft_Cat

Maybe he just meant as a director? Hard to know how out of date Casey is with regards to the whole DC/WB debauch.

kirblar

Because you don't announce the change till you have a replacement lined up.

Slayven

...now that's a visual I don't think I've ever imagined before.
Complete adlib

Bingo

If he's not why doesn't DC just come out and say so already. They have a good director in place, so if Ben doesn't play the role who really cares?

Ben got so much shit (deservedly) for swearing he was directing the film, when the reports swore that he wasn't, and then dropping out 2 weeks later. I can't imagine how much worse the backlash would be if he did the exact same thing in the exact same year with even just acting in the film

Tobor

Good. Get an unknown, go younger, and let Matt Reeves do his thing.

EDIT: and no back alley sequence. No pearls. Not even as a flashback.

kmfdmpig

Flashpoint is happening so a recast wouldn't surprise me.

Flashpoint is a potentially smart way to course correct on the DCEU by fixing what's wrong (a lot) and keeping what works (Wonder Woman at this point). It's a long ways off, however, and many thought that Batman would come first.

I thought Javier Bardem is already playing Thomas Wayne tho

That was Jeffrey Dean Morgan (with Lauren Cohen playing Martha Wayne). Funny to see them as a married couple given their roles on Walking Dead.

Ross61

Transcript from the show

Interviewer: "There's a rumor that he's not gonna be in the standalone Batman movie. I thought he was a tremendous Batman. I don't know if you have any insight on that."
Casey: "[joking] I thought he was an okay Batman. No, he was great. He was great. He's a hero, so he had something to channel and work with there. But he's not gonna do that movie, I don't think."
Interviewer: "Breaking news."
Casey: "Is that breaking news? I was just kind of making that up."
Interviewer: "I heard that from Casey Affleck. I'm gonna tweet that out. I heard it here first. Okay, that's sad news. I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to recover, but okay. Fine. I thought he was very good. Would you like to maybe take his place?"
Casey: "I don't think so."

I doubt Casey even knows what's going on with WB/DC. He even says he just made it up.

Edit:He could actually just be talking about Ben not directing the film instead of not starting in it.

I doubt Casey even knows what's going on with WB/DC. He even says he just made it up.

He says he just made it up because he accidentally said a thing he realized he probably shouldn't have said into an open mic like that.

Shh, don't ruin their fun. We can't bring sense in here.

How is that "sense" - it's more like "willfully ignoring basic human behavior"

people when they give a simple opinion about things don't respond when checked on it with "How do I know I was just making it up."

"I was just making it up" is a thing a guy might say when they realize they probably slipped up and they want to dismiss whatever was just said entirely.

Cipherr

Bruh, people definitely care. And yeah, they should worry about JL if this happens, it would be wise too. They are just now trying to crawl out of the "shitshow" tier with Wonder Woman, now if the only good thing about BvS bails on them, it will look HORRIBLE.

Im completely okay with them keeping this quiet and trying to keep Affleck on board (I assume they are doing all they can). Any other outcome is going to hurt.

Raziel

Would that really surprise anyone?

The drip feed of news from "Ben will no longer direct" to "Ben's script is out" is heading logically to this next step.

kmfdmpig

Bruh, people definitely care. And yeah, they should worry about JL if this happens, it would be wise too. They are just now trying to crawl out of the "shitshow" tier with Wonder Woman, now if the only good thing about BvS bails on them, it will look HORRIBLE.

Im completely okay with them keeping this quiet and trying to keep Affleck on board (I assume they are doing all they can). Any other outcome is going to hurt.

If they think there's a chance to change his mind then I get that, but if they don't think that's possible it just seems like delaying the inevitable. Rumors won't subside, so either way JL will be effected a bit.

J_Viper

He says he just made it up because he accidentally said a thing he realized he probably shouldn't have said into an open mic like that.

How is that "sense" - it's more like "willfully ignoring basic human behavior"

people when they give a simple opinion about things don't respond when checked on it with "How do I know I was just making it up."

"I was just making it up" is a thing a guy might say when they realize they probably slipped up and they want to dismiss whatever was just said entirely.
Yeah that sounds more like Casey is backtracking on some shit Ben told him to keep secret

Good. Get an unknown, go younger, and let Matt Reeves do his thing.

EDIT: and no back alley sequence. No pearls. Not even as a flashback.

Nah freeze his age at 40. Grizzled Batman is best Batman.

Get Joe Mango or Alex Skarsgard in there

Flashpoint is happening so a recast wouldn't surprise me.

Thing is, Flashpoint would probably happen after The Batman.

So if a recast is happening, the switch will happen before

Slayven

If you listen to the audio there is abit of "oh shit" in Casey's voice. Cause after that he wakes up and his voice gets high

Top Bottom