• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom of speech vs Nazis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's 2017 and we're having a discussion as to whether or not Nazis have a right to express their opinions. Ask many of these same people if ISIS sympathisers should have the same right to rally and and demonstrate, and watch them freak out. Nazis are magnitudes worse.

This will answer your question.

nazis27ry6m.png

What's the "Neo" Nazi part all about?....And I'm still shocked that I actually got to see a real live
Nazi in TV fort he first time in my life since old footage or movies - I mean it's 2017
how is this even happening? Also the guy who ran over that poor girl was on only
20 something years old? How does someone so young follow this ideology?

I'm very ignorant in history and law,
could someone help me understand why the following example does not apply to KKK members on the street?

What would the police do to someone in America who would go out and parade an
ISIS flag and dresses straight up like one of them, holding a real gun,
wouldn't this guy get arrested on the spot, is this not the same thing?

woolley

If the US government was able to control what is acceptable speech the civil rights movement and gay movement would have never happened. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I will never be for the government to filter speech, they can't be trusted.

MIMIC

Banned
Does it mean that freedom of speech only works if there's someone at the top to check America's moral compass? Is Trump actually the problem vs just being a symptom?

I do think Trump is the problem here. The Klan has been marching since forever. It's just that no modern president has ever blamed the counter-protesters. It's legally OK, but the President has been ambiguous in the moral condemnation.

Everyone arguing here for "limits" does realize that Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions would be the ones setting those limits right now, and the current US police force and Department of Justice would be the ones in charge of enforcing those "limits", right? Or to put it more bluntly, do you think that Nazis would be the ones having their speech restricted (and tagged as hate speech) by the government right now, or, say, Occupy Wall Street and BLM?
Donnie and the Keebler Elf wouldn't even be in power if we actually had hate speech laws to begin with.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
The events of Charlottesville are definitely very important and at the top of everyone's minds as they pay attention to what's going on in the country. That being said, we've had somewhere around 40 or 50 threads on the subject in the first 5 days since. It's taking up a lot of our space and making it hard to talk about everything else. As a result, we are locking some threads about Charlottesville, Trump's reaction, peoples' reactions, police reactions, Twitter reactions, voter reactions, confederate statues, confederate flags, the alt-right, Richard Spencer, the KKK, neo-Nazis, violence versus nonviolence against extremists, extremism, or anyone's reaction to any of these things. Feel free to discuss this topic or other related topics in one or more of the topics we leave open and continue making new threads as new events unfold so that we can migrate discussion to the most recent and up-to-date threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom