• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cDBYYLi.png

I wish they would swap the stretch goals around, the alternate costumes for alternate stats doesn't sound as exciting as more chapters.

Het_Nkik

I wish they would swap the stretch goals around, the alternate costumes for alternate stats doesn't sound as exciting as more chapters.

Especially since alternate costumes are something that COULD easily be DLC while chapters that work within the overall plot of the game could not easily be DLC.

Give me the bonus chapters first and THEN alternate costumes and characters.

Five

Banned
It's possible that the in-between stretch goals subsidize the chapter ones, which could pretty easily take more a lot more work to make.

It's possible that the in-between stretch goals subsidize the chapter ones, which could pretty easily take more a lot more work to make.

That's what I think too.

As for stretch goals. It seems a poll in the comments has "Hero mode" and extra chapter " Fire and Forget " as the most wanted. Will be difficult to reach them ,though.

Het_Nkik

Where did you get that the bonus chapters were germane to the plot?

A bunch of places. Here's one:

With 48 hours to go, anything can (and will) happen! Thanks to your pledges we just hit the 600K Stretch Goal for a BONUS CHAPTER... that means the game will now have a new transformation, plotline, and boss sandwiched right in the middle of the main adventure... more game than before! And that's for BOTH Shantae and Risky Modes. Great job, and thank you for your enthusiasm and generosity!

Link

Is there a full, non picture, list of the goals? I can't load them on my slow phone connection.

No, but here is an abridged version of the ones we haven't reached yet.

700k: 3 extra shantae costumes with various stat changes
800k: Bonus chapter: Fire and Forget. The Mayor of scuttle town hires a genie to replace shantae, but everyone comes down with amnesia. Shantae goes to investigate.
900k: PLay as Rottytops, Bolo or Sky, each with their own story or abilities
1m: Bonus chapter: A dish served cold. A magic spell goes wrong and revives Nega Shantae (A dark version of shantae)
1.1m: Voice acting
1.2m: Last Bonus chapter : Clockwork night. Risky goes around dismantaling all technology, and then launches it into the sky where it becomes a new moon.
1.3m: Animated cut scenes.

Each bonus chapter also includes a new transformation.

CTLance

Oh jeez, they accidentally showed the phone number for their old offices/current boss/somebody random as part of the last screen of the demo. Someone somewhere is gonna wake up to 1057 calls on his answering machine.

Fuzzy

Oh jeez, they accidentally showed the phone number for their old offices/current boss/somebody random as part of the last screen of the demo. Someone somewhere is gonna wake up to 1057 calls on his answering machine.
It was screen grabbed also but I blocked the number. It's out there without the number blocked though.

cDBv5xk.png

EDIT: Oh yeah, something else.

IznZFzV.gif

You know, I'm probably just being ludditical here, but something really irks me about releasing a piece of software with sections/features permanently locked off for anyone not part of a promotion.

I understand physical extras, and I understand downloadable extras (music, art, etc). However, releasing the game with features stripped out for non-backers irks me to no end.

There will be extra codes out there since you can get more than one if you pay enough.

I'll wait to see if I can buy some codes for less than their ridiculous $60+ price, or whatever it is now. Otherwise I won't be getting the game.

Fuzzy

You know, I'm probably just being ludditical here, but something really irks me about releasing a piece of software with sections/features permanently locked off for anyone not part of a promotion.

I understand physical extras, and I understand downloadable extras (music, art, etc). However, releasing the game with features stripped out for non-backers irks me to no end.
I agree with you. It's exactly the same as retailer-exclusive DLC. At least with it being a KS-exclusive DLC it's a reward for taking a risk on an unfinished game.

Het_Nkik

All that confirms is that they are adding the funded bonus chapter to the game, nothing in that quote indicates that it is something (or was ever something) important to the overarching plot of the main game.

Well who cares about plot? I don't know how you'd place a segment of the game in the middle of the game with a new transformation without it affecting the rest of the game that follows. I don't think they'd stick a one and done transformation in the middle of the game without designing subsequent overworld elements with it in mind. But lemme scour Reddit AMAs and Kickstarter comments for anything more concrete.

TheOGB

Banned
They've also pointed out that they wouldn't know if they'd be able to do bonus chapters until the game comes out and does well--next year.

They are not guaranteed, so don't treat them as such! You want them in, get em in for sure, right now!

Well who cares about plot? I don't know how you'd place a segment of the game in the middle of the game with a new transformation without it affecting the rest of the game that follows. I don't think they'd stick a one and done transformation in the middle of the game without designing subsequent overworld elements with it in mind. But lemme scour Reddit AMAs and Kickstarter comments for anything more concrete.
Here's the first post of yours I quoted:

chapters that work within the overall plot of the game could not easily be DLC.
But there's nothing saying they are meant to be part of the overall plot or that they're even meant to be in the middle of the game.

The point is that these bonus chapters are not part of the main game AT ALL until they are funded. For each one that gets funded, they'll figure out where it fits best in the game (some of them could be funded and be designed as prologues or post-game chapters). For the ones that are not funded, if they decide that they can be added after release as DLC, they will probably just be post-game chapters or built into their own stand alone campaign. They are not bound to putting them in the middle of the existing, completed game at that point.

Ithil

It was screen grabbed also but I blocked the number. It's out there without the number blocked though.

cDBv5xk.png

EDIT: Oh yeah, something else.

IznZFzV.gif

And people in the chat were complaining about the octopus bra. This series has clearly always been suggestive.

TheOGB

Banned
And people in the chat were complaining about the octopus bra. This series has clearly always been suggestive.
Seriously?

For Christ's sake, they've almost always advertised "Flirtatious dialogue/characters," get with the times, people! :p

CTLance

Had to run off for a bit, came back to two random dudes sitting there with one WF guy, supposedly hyping up their future kickstarter project.... but about as hyped about their future game as I am on the concept of eating less and working out to lose some weight.

Just sat there like deer in the headlights, had to be coerced to say even basic things like "It'll be a game that people that like Shantae will like".

What.

And then the flash plugin decided to commit Seppuku. A sign of the gods? I'mma go sleepies now.
Ssmijfu.gif

Looking forward to one million additional pledges by tomorrow. Make it happen, GAF.

Het_Nkik

Here's the first post of yours I quoted:

But there's nothing saying they are meant to be part of the overall plot or that they're even meant to be in the middle of the game.

The point is that these bonus chapters are not part of the main game AT ALL until they are funded. For each one that gets funded, they'll figure out where it fits best in the game (some of them could be funded and be designed as prologues or post-game chapters). For the ones that are not funded, if they decide that they can be added after release as DLC, they will probably just be post-game chapters or built into their own stand alone campaign. They are not bound to putting them in the middle of the existing, completed game at that point.

I get what you're saying, that there's no confirmation they work into the overall plot. But they obviously have these chapters plotted out (they give an overview of each one) and they've said a bunch of times they fit into the MIDDLE of the game, so I think it's reasonable to believe that they already have it worked out how and where each one will fit into the game. But no, I can't find confirmation as such. But they really do seem to stress where they SHOULD go:

This is the last “Bonus Chapter” stretch goal! Bonus Chapters sandwich right into the middle of the adventure, extending the amount of game between the mysterious INTRO and the action packed CONCLUSION. The more bonus chapters we can fund, the more levels, transformations, and bosses there will be!

I'm not saying they can't be reworked as post-game DLC, but a bunch of single chapters with one-off transformations doesn't sound like WayForward's style, especially considering the past two Shantae games.

But there's no confirmation. Either way. So we're both wrong.

EDIT: Wah, I'm acting like a huge baby about this for some reason. Sorry dude. I really don't care if I'm wrong here. No hard feelings I hope.

EDIT: Wah, I'm acting like a huge baby about this for some reason. Sorry dude. I really don't care if I'm wrong here. No hard feelings I hope.
Haha, no worries. My intent wasn't to be confrontational, I was trying to be informative because I didn't want you to back out of backing this great project because you thought the stretch goals were content they were removing from the game if they didn't make it (as opposed to adding if they did). My first couple of posts might not have been TOO clear on that since I was at work and on my phone.

Het_Nkik

Does she have dollar bills stuffed in her panties?

Haha, no worries. My intent wasn't to be confrontational, I was trying to be informative because I didn't want you to back out of backing this great project because you thought the stretch goals were content they were removing from the game if they didn't make it (as opposed to adding if they did). My first couple of posts might not have been TOO clear on that since I was at work and on my phone.

Back out? Let's just say I'm already VERY committed to this project.

Het_Nkik

BnCUUG3.png

They removed the starfish bra from her mermaid form. I kind of liked it, but now it's more like the Risky's Revenge transformation I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom