• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

TLZ

Banned
Eh it kinda was. There's a reason they got rid of Kinect and dropped the price by a lot.
If it's sold as a true premium device with a lot of power then it's never an issue. If people want the cheaper version they have the One S.

If it's 500-600 it has to be worth every penny.

Archpath1

They should give free limited time with the Xbox Game Pass like a month or so
With the purchase of scorpio it would be sweet

I'm down if it runs $500 tho

icespide

Banned
If it's sold as a true premium device with a lot of power then it's never an issue. If people want the cheaper version they have the One S.
How do you figure it's never an issue? Has there ever been a super expensive premium powerful console that flew off the shelf?

12Dannu123

Cant wait to see its impact on VR and pushing the competition to work even harder. I want one just for Forza.

Microsoft's VR platform while it won't be on release, (2018). Microsoft seems to be having developers develop for PC first then have all that content scale to Scorpio and potentially on XB1 in 2018. Which basically makes MS competing against SteamVR and PSVR.

originally i wanted to buy either a switch or a day 1 edition xbone to replace my dying Ps3 back home, but now I'll wait to hear more about scorpio. by then i'll probably know if my Ps3 really is dying or not

and it's too bad I didn't make the gamer tag I wanted when I had the chance. it would've been the same as my psn

Mrbob

Yeah, XB1 issue wasn't 500 dollars. It's issue was being 500 for a weaker console that forced the user to pay a premium for an accessory they didn't want.

I think a more powerful 500 dollar box is a smarter long term play. Whether at 400 or 500 xb1 will heavily outsell Scorpio. By the time xb1 is phased out Scorpio will be ready to pick up the mantle under 300 bucks.

TLZ

Banned
How do you figure it's never an issue? Has there ever been a super expensive premium powerful console that flew off the shelf?
Why would it be an issue when you have another product in the market already that is cheap for the masses? Why have 2 mediocre consoles in the market at the same time? If this is marketed towards that other crowd that likes power then I'm pretty sure they're ready to drop the money if it's truly worth their expectations.

d2E3Qol.gif

OK, I'm officially excited to see what gets revealed. :)

Absolutely amazing.

Interesting..

!!!

Compact design with advances in cooling huh? Will have to pick up my 4K TV with Scorpio, gonna be a good year in gaming boys.

UraMallas

Why would it be an issue when you have another product in the market already that is cheap for the masses? Why have 2 mediocre consoles in the market at the same time? If this is marketed towards that other crowd that likes power then I'm pretty sure they're ready to drop the money if it's truly worth their expectations.

Exactly. If this thing truly gets unveiled by DF in a specs breakdown, I think we all know who the target audience is and it isn't someone who is price-conscious about their hobby.

EDIT: I almost think we might get a glimpse of what the price will be by knowing who is unveiling it. If it's DF, I'd expect over $400. If it's IGN, I'd expect no more than $400.

icespide

Banned
it's certainly possible I just take issue with how you phrased "it's never an issue" which seems to mean we've had examples of this scenario before and I don't think so
Playstation 3 did, right? I remember lining up at midnight with about 50 other people to get one.
I guess I imagined all of the internet memes about $599

Boke1879

If it's 500-600 it has to be worth every penny.

You also have to look at this as a rebranding for the Xbox brand. A $500 price tag isn't going to instill much confidence in your average consumer. Especially with cheaper boxes out there. I think $400 is the sweet spot.

Yeah. I would imagine it's going to be a big exclusive game. There's no way it could be 2077, right? That's just too big to moneyhat I would imagine.
I'll never understand why people want/care about moneyhatting third parties, it's coming to the platform regardless

Fanboi's

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, XB1 issue wasn't 500 dollars. It's issue was being 500 for a weaker console that forced the user to pay a premium for an accessory they didn't want.
Yes. But I also think even if it was powerful it would've still had issues as it's the only new option available and people still prefer/expect that $399 magic number for new gen console. The difference here is that it's not the only version available, so if some people aren't happy with 500-600 they can always opt for the One S. It plays the same games and considered current gen. So people have options.

UraMallas

I'll never understand why people want/care about moneyhatting third parties, it's coming to the platform regardless

Fanboi's

I mean. I don't really give a flip about it. I honestly don't even know what that game is about and I've never even played a game made by the company. I was just spitballin' what it could be.

Chill.

TLZ

Banned
You also have to look at this as a rebranding for the Xbox brand. A $500 price tag isn't going to instill much confidence in your average consumer. Especially with cheaper boxes out there. I think $400 is the sweet spot.
That's why we have the One S ;)

Eh it kinda was. There's a reason they got rid of Kinect and dropped the price by a lot.

it was not the price.
it was kinect and tv focus, the perception and the competition

just look at Nintendo
WiiU did bad at $299
Switch is doing good at $299 so far

The price wasn't a problem for the WiiU
At least not any major impactful one. Just a side effect.
Same for original Xbox One
The only recent console so far where the price was a major problem and not mainly other suff, was the PS3 at $499 /$599
And even that Console did okay with 10.4m units in the first year

Zedox

"Developers will still have to optimize against the Xbox One's ESRAM, however, as games are not allowed to be exclusive to Scorpio by policy" Well that blows, people can't make Scorpio exclusives? I know MS wasn't but wow.

This has been known since they announced it...last year...E3...june.

TLZ

Banned
it was not the price.

just look at Nintendo
WiiU did bad at $299

The only recent console so far where the price was a major problem and not mainly other suff, was the PS3 at $499 /$599

Of course the price was a problem! A $100 more expensive console for a forced kinect that no one asked for AND the console is weaker? That's a problem. Add to that of course their shitty E3.

Boke1879

it was not the price.

just look at Nintendo
WiiU did bad at $299

$500 compared to a $400 PS4 most def had an impact. But yea let's agree to disagree. Don't want to damper the thread with this talk.

Boke1879

"Developers will still have to optimize against the Xbox One's ESRAM, however, as games are not allowed to be exclusive to Scorpio by policy" Well that blows, people can't make Scorpio exclusives? I know MS wasn't but wow.

This was known. No one is going to make exclusives for a console that's not established and MS isn't going to splinter their userbase

Bsigg12

I don't where I saw this earlier here but the name Xbox One X is pretty great. If you really wanted to, you could comically shorten it to XBOX.

Zedox

Of course the price was a problem! A $100 more expensive console for a forced kinect that no one asked for AND the console is weaker? That's a problem. Add to that of course their shitty E3.

Erm...their E3 or their reveal? Cuz their E3 conf. was really all about the games.

alt27

I mean. I don't really give a flip about it. I honestly don't even know what that game is about and I've never even played a game made by the company. I was just spitballin' what it could be.

Chill.

Theres no way 2077 is a platform exclusive.

freefornow

Gold Member
Exactly. If this thing truly gets unveiled by DF in a specs breakdown, I think we all know who the target audience is and it isn't someone who is price-conscious about their hobby.

EDIT: I almost think we might get a glimpse of what the price will be by knowing who is unveiling it. If it's DF, I'd expect over $400. If it's IGN, I'd expect no more than $400.

DF not necessarily the best place to announce Scorpio news especially when one of their regular contributors (and Gaf regular) has a distaste for Microsoft. Not sure if it really is that easy to throw aside deep seated opinions.
aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]

alt27

Will be interesting to see the specs, but Im not sure these mid gen upgrades are a good idea for the industry, especially when all the games have to be playable on the base models.

UraMallas

DF not necessarily the best place to announce Scorpio news especially when one of their regular contributors (and Gaf regular) has a distaste for Microsoft. Not sure if it really is that easy to throw aside deep seated opinions.
aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]

Oh damn. That's pretty incredible. Is that someone who would make decisions for DF in this manner then?

Top Bottom