• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #236 - GOTY's & Reviews

Jetpack Joyride nominated in Best Portable Game category but not the Tactics Ogre remake, Radiant Historia or Ghost Trick? Surprised and yet not, portable gaming is to Edge what Hip Hop and Metal are to Pitchfork :p
You can love it but calling someone to task for not listing a portable game that received mixed reviews in their end of year list is a bit weird. No?

Did you have mute on for all of them?

Nope.

However...the first time a tank fires a shell at you when you're hiding behind cover in Battlefield 3...that's a memorable moment, it is.

I really should try Dark Souls to see where all this bold, chest puffing fangasm is ejaculating from

If you haven't been pulled in yet, you should save yourself the time and money. It DOES do some pretty special things however.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Really confused about Saints Row, was it a case that the reviewer wrote it off as mediocre B-list franchise and didn't play it properly? Was offended by its humour so viewed it harshly?

For me it's the best GTA type game ever in almost every way so that automatically makes it one of the best games ever!

Controls, characters, story, activities, missions, variety, interesting world, fun vehicles and progression mechanics, co-op, all the way and whored mode is fun too!

Honestly I'm a really hard to please gamer (esp with sandbox games, I will slag off GTA and LA Noire till the cows come home and SR puts a big smile on my face everytime.

Bento

You can love it but calling someone to task for not listing a portable game that received mixed reviews in their end of year list is a bit weird. No?
89, 87 and 83 on Metacritic seems like a pretty good reception for all three games? Not that it really matters, this just further emphasizes how goddamn out of touch with everything I am these days :p

Awesome and one of the best games of the year are not the same as above average unless you live in some weird bizarro world.

I guess I do since I don't think it's any of those and just good, which is what I was trying to get at. That Edge thinks it's good and that the score in no way is bad.

krakov

Dark Souls is far from dead on 360. I play it pretty much every day only for the online stuff. If I were to start the game right now I would be in another players game in less than a minute. Had some of my finest online experiences ever in that game.

stupei

I forgot how much fun Edge threads can be to read through. Didn't realize so many people hated Skyward Sword so much. I've been enjoying it so far.

Also, SpaceChem!

My only complaint with that list is the lack of Dead Space 2.

:(

Pretty sure it's going to be on my personal top 10, but yeah, I agree it's sad that it's going to be completely overlooked by nearly everyone.

Wasn't expecting a lot of recognition from Edge, though.

oneils

If you include the Dark Souls online community as part of the experience, you find a lot of users coming together to help one another, builds being discussed, the storyline being pieced together and a level of courtesy between gamers that you won't find anywhere else. The amount of respect between blue phantoms and those that summon them is great, and the fear of red phantoms that invade isn't found in any of game. Add in the soul signs being left on the ground to help you and you have an experience which is actually rather pleasant, and a major shift from the traditional online package.

I back it as the best online experience 100%.

I think a lot of people limit the definition of "best online experience" to "best multi-player." They are both different things. So maybe that is why people are confused with Dark Souls as the pick.

Kazerei

Banned
Mario Kart 7 absolutely deserves it. People who think it's just the same old MK game obviously haven't played it enough. Drifting feels great and there's no more snaking. Karts are more customizable than before, and you can really feel the difference. Items are more balanced. Smaller elements like coins and tricking off any bump add depth to the experience. And most importantly, online play is really fucking amazing. It runs smoothly and the community feature is an ingenious idea.

zoukka

Mario Kart 7 absolutely deserves it. People who think it's just the same old MK game obviously haven't played it enough. Drifting feels great and there's no more snaking. Karts are more customizable than before, and you can really feel the difference. Items are more balanced. And most importantly, online play is really fucking amazing. It runs smoothly and the community feature is an ingenious idea.

Yes it's a good game, but don't try to deny that it's just an iteration of MK DS.

SoulClap

Best Visual Design
Uncharted 3
Battlefield 3
Child of Eden

Don't have a problem with Uncharted 3 winning but I'm a little curious as to where they would rank The Witcher 2 and Rayman Origins.

Best Audio Design
Portal 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dark Souls

Going to echo everyone and wonder what hell Edge was thinking in not including BF3.

GhaleonQ

Mario Kart 7 absolutely deserves it. People who think it's just the same old MK game obviously haven't played it enough. Drifting feels great and there's no more snaking. Karts are more customizable than before, and you can really feel the difference. Items are more balanced. And most importantly, online play is really fucking amazing. It runs smoothly and the community feature is an ingenious idea.

I still feel like people are just contrasting it with Mario Kart Wii. The items are more balanced than Super's? The drifting feels better than in DS? Customization is more critical than in Gamecube? Track design is better than Advance?

I'm genuinely just asking. Could you expound on 1 or more?

ymmv

Banned
Their Best Audio and Best Online categories are...baffling.

And I never really took Edge for the hyper-enthusiastic type but in a year as strong as this one and they pick Skyward Sword as their game of the year? Nostalgia sure swings strong in the Edge office.

Edge has a serious crush on a few Nintendo franchises (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart) and Halo.

Kazerei

Banned
I still feel like people are just contrasting it with Mario Kart Wii. The items are more balanced than Super's? The drifting feels better than in DS? Customization is more critical than in Gamecube? Track design is better than Advance?

I'm genuinely just asking. Could you expound on 1 or more?

Items - Ehh, I think it's pretty close, could be argued either way

Drifting - Having to mash left/right was stupid. Drifting was obviously broken, 'cause you could just snake on straightaways

Customization - I do miss the two-rider aspect of Double Dash. But there's so many combinations of rider/kart/wheels in MK7 that yes, I'd say the customization is an example of something new and creative being added to the MK series.

Track design - I think this is the real weak point of MK7 :\

Glad EDGE went for it, to be honest. Dark Souls getting any awards - especially given how the American press treat it like some kind of sadomasochistic weeaboo/otaku simulator - is great in my opinion.

Still feels like they almost want Apple to ruin gaming, though.

zoukka

Customization - I do miss the two-rider aspect of Double Dash. But there's so many combinations of rider/kart/wheels in MK7 that yes, I'd say the customization is an example of something new and creative being added to the MK series.

The customization just breaks down the old vehicle types into a much larger arc, but you still end up with the "heavy, medium and light" vehicles pretty much.

And I'm not saying MK7 is weaker or better in any of those aspects, but to a layman the games definately will look almost identical. And you still need to drift almost 90% of the time in MK7.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Even though it's a sequel and probably considered 'more of the same' by many, I really liked the sound in Dead Space 2 as well... felt like a lot of care was put into it (pretty thankful to create sound for that kind of game as well). On the contrary, don't remember much of the sound from Portal 2, nothing that really stuck with me... been a while since I've played it though.

Interesting to see Skyward Sword and Dark Souls as nominated games, never played them myself but it makes both games even more tempting for me to try out. :)

Kazerei

Banned
The customization just breaks down the old vehicle types into a much larger arc, but you still end up with the "heavy, medium and light" vehicles pretty much.

And I'm not saying MK7 is weaker or better in any of those aspects, but to a layman the games definately will look almost identical. And you still need to drift almost 90% of the time in MK7.

I think there's alot more variety in customization than you're letting on. And while laymen might not appreciate the differences, the differences are certainly there.

Majora

Even though it's a sequel and probably considered 'more of the same' by many, I really liked the sound in Dead Space 2 as well... felt like a lot of care was put into it (pretty thankful to create sound for that kind of game as well). On the contrary, don't remember much of the sound from Portal 2, nothing that really stuck with me... been a while since I've played it though.

Interesting to see Skyward Sword and Dark Souls as nominated games, never played them myself but it makes both games even more tempting for me to try out. :)

Dead Space 1 won their best sound design award in 2008.

Vandiger

Edge has no credibility when they list Dark Souls as having the best online experience for 2011. I can't take them seriously now.

ASIS

What is the point of qualifying the score by saying perfect then? Why not just say 10? It's directly adding connotations that a score of 10 is a game without flaw.

It's just something that people say. Like when they say a "solid" 8. Just don't pay much attention to it.

Top Bottom