• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

yurinka

Wish it were the futuristic car racer Wipeout prequel 2048 teased coming from Evolution's end:
Ze3Ojwz.jpg

But alas, boring old modern cars it is :(
I also want this, mixed a bit with Rollcage (riding walls). I want something unique and different instead of the boring typical 'realistic' urban racer.

Lemonte

if someone makes futuristic arcade racer for next gen I hope it's sequel for Rollcage. Who even owns the ip?

I'm just hoping that Ged Talbot has control of the game, if he really was a major force behind the PGR games. Evolution have made a bunch of solid games, but I don't think they've ever made anything truly great

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm just hoping that Ged Talbot has control of the game, if he really was a major force behind the PGR games. Evolution have made a bunch of solid games, but I don't think they've ever made anything truly great

If Evolution's mystery title is PGR in everything but name, I'll buy a PS4 just for it.

Unless PGRV is everything I expect it to be. Then I'll buy a NextBox.

Oh fuck it I'll get both. SO BROKE.

Shaneus

All will be revealed. So hyped for what Evolution is bringing to the table.
How do you know? HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?

(What do you know?)

If Evolution's mystery title is PGR in everything but name, I'll buy a PS4 just for it.

Unless PGRV is everything I expect it to be. Then I'll buy a NextBox.

Oh fuck it I'll get both. SO BROKE.
I'm not super familiar with Evolution's work (I only have the free Motorstorm that came with PSN) but is there any chance that it could become just another tacky, dudebro racer like the NFS games of a few years ago (pre-Criterion)? I'd hope not, but (seemingly) only 2 ex-Bizarre guys in the team, it could go either way. Just look at Forza Horizon.

Reiko

Banned

(What do you know?)

I'm not super familiar with Evolution's work (I only have the free Motorstorm that came with PSN) but is there any chance that it could become just another tacky, dudebro racer like the NFS games of a few years ago (pre-Criterion)? I'd hope not, but (seemingly) only 2 ex-Bizarre guys in the team, it could go either way. Just look at Forza Horizon.

I know as much as you do. I get a strange feeling that your predictions are panning out.

I'm fucking hyped. I'll create a 60fps PGR4 vid for the appreciation thread.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Frankly, I thought Forza Horizon was my GOTY 2012, so I don't mind it being like that, gameplay wise. I can leave the festival atmosphere, though.

saladine1

Come on, Lucid! You can't let these guys get all the glory first!

We're going to have to wait for MS to announce their conference before we here anything about PGR.

I'm really excited to see what Evolution has in store. I just hope it's traditional racer and not some futuristic crap with guns and rockets...

amar212

If the rumour how they wanted to get "Gran Turismo" brandname in the title, then it is 100% safe to say it is "normal" racer.

I am not trying to dance in the waters of wishing but I see something as great open-world racer in real cities and probably some serious off-roading too.

I have to emphasise again the quality of assets built for this generation of consoles from 2005-2010 - either we speak about Project Gotham series and their modelling of the cities, Gran Turismo with insane Premium models quality, great vehicle models all 4 outsourced studios made for Forza 3&4 (especially 4), what Playground, Eden and Criterion achieved in real-time streaming of complex surroundings..

I think it is very safe to say how even using this-gen assets in full-LOD, with just some HDR, particle and alpha effects and environmental luminosity would look stunning in 1080p/60fps. And for that they'd need *just* 4X more raw power. With current speculation of 8X raw-power and multi-core processing with sub-routines for next-gen, we can only await for our heads to be blown off.

Perkel

Banned
If the rumour how they wanted to get "Gran Turismo" brandname in the title, then it is 100% safe to say it is "normal" racer.

I am not trying to dance in the waters of wishing but I see something as great open-world racer in real cities and probably some serious off-roading too.

I have to emphasise again the quality of assets built for this generation of consoles from 2005-2010 - either we speak about Project Gotham series and their modelling of the cities, Gran Turismo with insane Premium models quality, great vehicle models all 4 outsourced studios made for Forza 3&4 (especially 4), what Playground, Eden and Criterion achieved in real-time streaming of complex surroundings..

I think it is very safe to say how even using this-gen assets in full-LOD, with just some HDR, particle and alpha effects and environmental luminosity would look stunning in 1080p/60fps. And for that they'd need *just* 4X more raw power. With current speculation of 8X raw-power and multi-core processing with sub-routines for next-gen, we can only await for our heads to be blown off.

Yeah we racers this gen came vary close to be photorealistic. Assets are already at point in which they can't be distinguished from real cars. New GT6 or Forza 5 will absolutely blow our heads off.

velociraptor

(What do you know?)

Evolution haven't exactly made a bad game. Their entire background is racing games. They made the WRC games on the PS2, and of course, all the Motorstorm's on the PS3.

Can't wait to see what Evolution studios have in store after reading this news.

Would have been nice to get another Motorstorm game instead, I really liked PGR but Motorstorm was pretty much the perfect arcade racing experience for me this gen. Hopefully the game they're working on has plenty of split-screen options including split-screen online.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah we racers this gen came vary close to be photorealistic. Assets are already at point in which they can't be distinguished from real cars. New GT6 or Forza 5 will absolutely blow our heads off.

Heads?

Try cocks and nuts off. We are gonna get our eyes molested.

neemmss

I don't get it, what is the whole hubub about PGR? What's so special about this series? Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't get it, what is the whole hubub about PGR? What's so special about this series? Maybe I'm missing something.

It's just a really great racing series, very dear to many people. It was uncertain whether we would ever see a PGR title again after the last game bombed and the studio that made it went under several years after that.

We're going to have to wait for MS to announce their conference before we here anything about PGR.

I'm really excited to see what Evolution has in store. I just hope it's traditional racer and not some futuristic crap with guns and rockets...

Right. Because more of the same is exactly what next gen needs.

We've had the sim racer done to death.

Show me something NEW... something that's not trying to be GT, or Wipeout.

The reason those games are seminal is that they took the topes of the genre and fashioned something new with them.

Give me something unexpected. The last thing we need next gen to feel is 'Traditional'

Derrick01

Banned

3 was pretty damn cool at the launch of the generation but I don't know if I'd call it special. It's just a racing game at the end of the day. It didn't have a cool gimmick like Burnout Paradise or Split Second or anything like that.

amardilo

I would really like to see a new PRG and that game could make a great launch title (that and the rumoured Alan Wake 2 would be the first 2 games I buy) maybe they could use Turn10's engine and have Lucid make the game like Playground did with Forza Horizon.

3 was pretty damn cool at the launch of the generation but I don't know if I'd call it special. It's just a racing game at the end of the day. It didn't have a cool gimmick like Burnout Paradise or Split Second or anything like that.

I guess they may not be for everyone but as far as arcade racers go I found the PGR series to be right up there with the likes of Burnout (minus the crashing).

For me PGR had some great features like Kudos and the sense of speed and handling was the exactly what I wanted from an arcade racer. It was also one of the first online multiplayer racers I got into (although I have yet to win an online race in any PGR game) and the people I played that game with were all pretty nice and friendly people.

Raide

PGR5 but more like PGR2 please! Driving all these 250mph+ Supercars gets boring as hell. Bring back some of the PGR2 lineup instead. Also, need some of those crazy Scottish tracks they threw in. Way more interesting to drive than massive racetracks from PGR4.

Xbudz

C'mon Sega, update Virtua Racing and make it next-gen with every possible polygon and graphical effect on display.

PGR5 but more like PGR2 please! Driving all these 250mph+ Supercars gets boring as hell. Bring back some of the PGR2 lineup instead. Also, need some of those crazy Scottish tracks they threw in. Way more interesting to drive than massive racetracks from PGR4.

The Florence tracks were so glorious.

Top Bottom