• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED cancels Grand Knights History (PSP)

zulux21

This was easily one of my top anticipated games this year... my spirit is completely crushed from this news... and I am going to have to tell my wife later.

oh well... more motivation for me to finish learning japanese I suppose :/

randomkid

for real though, I can't get over how much this sucks! I know it's cool to hate on Vanillaware games among a certain set but this game really captured my imagination for whatever reason, I remember I kept watching this trailer over and over again and I never do that. I was even willing to give the online type game mechanics a chance because something about the premise really grabbed me, even beyond the AESTHETIC WONDERLAND of the visuals and music.

so terrible!

...with rapturous indifference? :p

Never mind that, bring on the fan translation! Fans can do what VanillaWon't!

A gaffer already put one together if I remember the import thread correctly. Although they might have stopped working on it once XSEED announced they were localizing it

The worst thing about this cancellation is that the translations are actually done. Didn't Xseed or someone from Xseed say that they were done and just waiting for Vanillaware to respond their emails? And they later said they were too busy with Dragon's Crown to do any programming for GKH?

If so, that's a pretty nasty business move.

Ken

I liked the art style and animations of the game but that was about it. Didn't really enjoy the offline/online stuff.

Can't think of any other examples offhand, wanna help me out here? I can think of times when publishers have expressed interest in bringing something over in like interviews and stuff, but this had a press release and official razzle dazzle announcement and everything.

1. Xseed was the original company contracted to bring Muramasa to the Wii in the US. Cancelled and subsequently brought over by Ignition in a poorly received localization.

2. Shining Force Senario 2 and 3 for the Saturn.

3. There were a couple of shooters that were cancelled by Working Designs for the Saturn. Can't remember the names for the moment

4. Lunar for the Saturn was cancelled, moved to Playstation.

That's what I can recall at the moment, without getting into rumors and the myriad of games rejected by SCEA and Sega in the 90's and early 2000's because the were not 3D enough.

Animekatt

Man this is such sad news. :( I was hoping it would still be able to come out by the end of this month like the other thread had said. Now if only Atlus or Aksys could take the reigns and release this game. I won't even care if it's digital only.

x3r0123

Ahh I was not aware, my first time with the series is Trails in the Sky, so i'm not as familiar as I would like to be with it yet.

Seems like it would be tough to localize all of them though since I would imagine games of this type would take awhile to localize. Where in the series would be the best place to pick up if they had to skip some installments?

It does not seem like XSeed is the type of company that has ulimited resources, so I would imagine they would have to be somewhat picky about what they pick up or don't.

i havent played any of the sequels after the third so I don't know beyond that. However, these games are text heavy so obviously it will take a good while to localize. Just hope that falcom is wise enough to take the translation for the ios ports and put them on steam or so ( assuming the deal for localization still exists)

1. Xseed was the original company contracted to bring Muramasa to the Wii in the US. Cancelled and subsequently brought over by Ignition in a poorly received localization.

3. There were a couple of shooters that were cancelled by Working Designs for the Saturn. Can't remember the names for the moment

That's what I can recall at the moment, without getting into rumors and the myriad of games rejected by SCEA and Sega in the 90's and early 2000's because the were not 3D enough.

Siren 2 was announced for localization by SCEA. Never happened.

Aeana

i havent played any of the sequels after the third so I don't know beyond that. However, these games are text heavy so obviously it will take a good while to localize. Just hope that falcom is wise enough to take the translation for the ios ports and put them on steam or so ( assuming the deal for localization still exists)

There are no iOS ports. The iOS game that Aeria is making is a totally new game.

t26

Can't think of any other examples offhand, wanna help me out here? I can think of times when publishers have expressed interest in bringing something over in like interviews and stuff, but this had a press release and official razzle dazzle announcement and everything.

Goemon PS2?

Teknoman

iwUqyzL17vE9X.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Vanillaware kinda sucks at their usual brawler/RPG hybrids. This one was turn based, so I actually had hope. Dammit all!

x3r0123

No need. I and several others have already committed to translating SC and 3rd at the very least should XSEED fail to do so.

that is great for the rest of the people. I am going to wait patiently until some people with spare time decides to translate zero/ao/nayuta which might be never

Isn't this the second time an XSeed/Vanillaware deal has gone south? Muramasa and now GKH? I feel terrible for the XSeed staff, as they're great people and don't deserve this kind of crap.

Bleh. I'm so frustrated right now.

sounds like a Vanillaware game

can you give us any other impressions?

The single player basically exists as a training ground for your squads before you take them online to fight in the war. Characters are pretty customizable for a 2D game and the online component is crazy fun, especially when you get into it.

ReaperXL7

Until Atlus has to cancel it too because Vanillaware is working on another game and can't work on a localization.

That would be pretty strange since the reason this is happening is because they are focusing on Dragon's Crown. Also with Atlus taking over the regins I don't see a similar situation happening, atleast I really hope not.

Other

Could people stop suggesting that every company who has trouble with releasing a game start up a Kickstarter and also generally talking about Kickstarters as if they're magic bullets that solve all problems? It's getting really annoying.

vireland

Hey Vic/Monkeypaw. Kickstart the localization of this one!

Uh...no. Still tending to the fresh scabs healing from the last go-round. This is not an easy undertaking for console games, and even less so for dying/dead consoles. IF we do it again, it will be with a much higher profile game and/or after CoH II ships digitally.

Top Bottom