• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

This game is not a $0.99 iPhone App!

Hell, I don't even like the game (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/29371), but it certainly still is a game with Nintendo production values. Sadly, in my eyes, it doesn't have Nintendo gameplay values. But to each their own.

I'll say until I'm blue in the face, but I'm really glad some people like this. I just didn't.

Fair enough man.

Yeah wish Apple hadn't devalued gaming. This is already more fun to me than any iPhone game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just finished the second day at the second village (after 3-starring the 1st one) and I must say I'm absolutely satisfied with the game's pricepoint.

Game gives me a very strong Tales-of feeling from the battles (heck, even the transition animations are in Tales-of style!). Just like Tales, battle mechanics is based on rhythm and chaining combos (my highest combo so far is 12). In contrast to Tales, though, the game expects you to be ultra swift with your battles, as the rest of the enemies on the map are moving on while you fight. So it's pretty much a skill game with a small RPG element, and a strong tactical element too. But it's not tower defense to me - I think of the towers as sidekicks, not as the main weapons - Dillan is the main weapon.

The atmosphere is great, the tongue-in-cheek references to zelda - nice (yes, I'm mainly referring to the ruins). Only negative I can think of is the framerate while traversing a level, i.e. outside of battles.

Highly recommended.

Can't help but feel that the writers blasting through the game to get the review done aren't enjoying it and the gamers looking to just play it at their own pace are.
Maybe it's just not a game built for fast turnaround reviews. I'll definitely be picking this up when I have the $$$

I had the same thought, a lot of the negative previews/reviews are from people who played chunks of the game or are blowing through it as quickly as possible, which based on the positive impressions in this thread isn't the best way to play it.

I'm too curious now, even reviews/impressions are mixed I have to see for myself.

Codeblue

I three starred the first village. Took me 18 minutes with all quests cleared.

A boss got away from me for the first time and started sprinting towards the village. I was frantically chasing after him when a shotgun tower I built on day 1 that I forgot about blew him to pieces.

I think I'm done for the day but I'm really happy with it.

DrWong

Frencch website Nintendo Master tested it too with a fair 7/10.

Bad points: 3D is not really well used, lack of tuto/help & informations, misleading about the game genre.

Good points: technically good for an Eshop title, lot of playtime and the difficulty is here.

Partial [poor] translation of the conclusion >

Dillon's Rolling Western has an innovating gameplay and a skilful mixture of strategy and adventure. EAD provides us with a pleasant game, leaving to the player the hability to manage the way in which he will protect the villages and destroy the waves of enemies but also enabling him to discover a solid and well emphasized background.

mèx

Neo Member
Just finished the second day at the second village (after 3-starring the 1st one) and I must say I'm absolutely satisfied with the game's pricepoint.

Game gives me a very strong Tales-of feeling from the battles (heck, even the transition animations are in Tales-of style!). Just like Tales, battle mechanics is based on rhythm and chaining combos (my highest combo so far is 12). In contrast to Tales, though, the game expects you to be ultra swift with your battles, as the rest of the enemies on the map are moving on while you fight. So it's pretty much a skill game with a small RPG element, and a strong tactical element too. But it's not tower defense to me - I think of the towers as sidekicks, not as the main weapons - Dillan is the main weapon.

The atmosphere is great, the tongue-in-cheek references to zelda - nice (yes, I'm mainly referring to the ruins). Only negative I can think of is the framerate while traversing a level, i.e. outside of battles.

Highly recommended.

I'm at the same point and I agree with you, this game is so much fun!
I recommend playing it in short burst, do a Day at a time, don't rush through it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm loving this. Once you start upgrading your guy and learning what the towers do it becomes great. You farm during the day and put all those hard earned resources to use at dusk.

Still loving it! Here's some quick fan pixels:

dillon.png

that is just wonderful - that said i think i'm gonna get this, it looks really fun

Codeblue

Frencch website Nintendo Master tested it too with a fair 7/10.

Bad points: 3D is not really well used, lack of tuto/help & informations, misleading about the game genre.

Good points: technically good for an Eshop title, lot of playtime and the difficulty is here.

Partial [poor] translation of the conclusion >
I thought the 3D went really well with the lay out and art direction.

Everything else I can understand, though I think there's a tutorial in the pause menu, which is like the exact opposite approach Zelda takes.

Michan

I'm loving this. Once you start upgrading your guy and learning what the towers do it becomes great. You farm during the day and put all those hard earned resources to use at dusk.

This sounds like something I'd enjoy. Sold! Thanks.

How much is this in ¥? Wondering if I should buy it on the JP store instead of the UK store.

NeoRausch

Ok first stage (3 days) done.

mechanics need some time to get used to (moreso as leftpaw) but feel great after the initial butthurt.

design (grafiks and sound) is top notch and i can imagine that this game has a HIGH replay value.

start rating at the end tells you what your would have need to be to earn more stars.

i would say i was pretty good..but my stars say... 2/5 lol u sux

I lov it, dunno what's previewers beef was.... And i don't care.
took 5 min to long. *sight*

My only complaint is that it seems almost impossible get 5 stars the first time you enter a stage due to the money cap the game puts on you when you first pick a stage. I understand from a balance/story perspective (if you could enter every stage with enough money to buy the best towers) the game would be laughably easy, but it feels like I didn't do a good job when I beat a world and get a 3/5 knowing I pretty much played to the best you could possibly due with your limited money.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Things got pretty hectic at the end of the day on the second village. Dudes were coming from all sides and they destroyed my towers and the defenses I put.

Gotta farm more and sell some of the goodies I've found.

I also like how this game has achievements in the forms of quests. You are asked to do a task for someone at the saloon (like find X item) and you get paid for it.

NeoRausch

My only complaint is that it seems almost impossible get 5 stars the first time you enter a stage due to the money cap the game puts on you when you first pick a stage. I understand from a balance/story perspective (if you could enter every stage with enough money to buy the best towers) the game would be laughably easy, but it feels like I didn't do a good job when I beat a world and get a 3/5 knowing I pretty much played to the best you could possibly due with your limited money.
Yeah,
i wouldn't say it's bad. But it's pretty irritating on the first run.
there is NO way to get it all on first try cause your towers are just not efficiant enough and you dont know the terrain.
but after you got the idea of how the game works...were cool buddies now. And dat presentsation...almost tarantino worthy. Love it!

anybody knows if my towers in the towns are still saved (the same) when i restart a stage (town)?

DGRE

Banned
Don't be disheartened by not being able to five star it right off the bat. It's kind of like a dungeon crawler in that aspect.

BowieZ

Banned
Will buy when I get paid tomorrow.

The only purchase I regret for my 3DS is Let's Golf! but I'm fairly certain this is better.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So I just saw this on the NOE site and it lists the developer as Vanpool (the studio that did Tingle's Fabulous Rupee Fest Deluxe or whatever). Did we already know this?

Michan

Is there a list of must-own e-Shop titles? I'm yet to stock up on non-3D Classic/Ambassador games. I also have a large amount of Wii/DSi points which were never spent.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game's pretty neat so far. Seems like a not too contrived take on tower defense with some solid action, (mild) leveling, and (mild) looting elements thrown in for good measure. There's some cash, time, and resource management as well.

zroid

Banned
I also have a large amount of Wii/DSi points which were never spent.

Those won't help you much on the eShop, unfortunately...

One workaround is to buy a bunch of DSiWare games on a DSi, and then system transfer them to your 3DS. But that's about all you can do.

So I just saw this on the NOE site and it lists the developer as Vanpool (the studio that did Tingle's Fabulous Rupee Fest Deluxe or whatever). Did we already know this?

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Forget where exactly, though.

Played through the first day so far. The control took a bit to get used to. I'm enjoying what i've seen so far. The battle system is nice, and I like the tutorials at the bar.
Left-handed and I didn't have much trouble using the stylus in my right hand.

Codeblue

I'm not sure if it was known before today since I haven't been paying much attention, but I think the NWR article mentioned it.

Vanpool also worked on Superstar Saga and Little Kings Story though, so I would have trusted them to make a great game anyway.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Is there a list of must-own e-Shop titles? I'm yet to stock up on non-3D Classic/Ambassador games. I also have a large amount of Wii/DSi points which were never spent.

Must haves without a doubt are: Zen Pinball, Pushmo and Muttant Mudds. Haven't played Sakura Samurai yet, but folks seem to enjoy that one too a lot.

I love this game. Not sure why the reviews are so negative... maybe because the reviews were rushed? Theres no way they went through the whole game from the time they played it and from the time they put up the reviews.

I'd say it and Pushmo are THE games to own, my minor complain above is just that. The game is fantastic and is an experience you don't want to miss.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I chuckled, but it's true. It will probably become an assist trophy for the next Smash. Defense Towers included with him.

Nooo I want him playable!

YOU HEAR ME SAKURAI, IF HE ISN'T PLAYABLE THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!

Pimpbaa

Why are people so goddamn cheap when it comes to portable DD games? Cheap bastards ruined the iphone and android market.

D-Pad

Nooo I want him playable!

YOU HEAR ME SAKURAI, IF HE ISN'T PLAYABLE THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!

Dillon can replace Sonic easily.

Anyway, I just beat the intro stage. I want struggling with the controls the whole time (I'm left handed) I never thought about using my thumb... Wonder if that would make things easier.

Effect

Finish the first town and enjoying to so far as well. Once I figured out I could roll in any direction if I swiped the stylus the right way in battles they became easier. I guess I shouldn't have jumped right in without reading the manual. Thinking about going back and do the stage again now that I have more money. That money does carry back over to already beaten stages right so you can build more towers and add more weapons right?

I haven't been big on digital buys in the past but I see this becoming a big part of my gaming habit now that I'm focusing on just Nintendo hardware going forward. Thinking of Zen Pinball and Sakura Samauri next. Already have Pushmo. Not big into games like Mighty Switch Force and that seems pretty barebones. Though maybe in the future if a demo of it comes out or I see more of it.

NFreak

So I was absolutely positive that I was not going to buy this game because it was advertised as a tower defense title and I really really don't enjoy tower defense games, but I just couldn't help myself. I love the art style and some of the impressions on here put me over the edge. Low and behold, it's very light on the tower defense elements and I am actually enjoying it quite a bit. I would definitely agree with some people here that it should be played in short spurts day by day. Pretty happy I gave the game a shot.

jrDev

Wow, I'm up playing this right now and can't stop. Just finishing up Village 1 day 3. It's really refreshing and Dillon is a great new mascot for Nintendo. Don't squander him Nintendo!!!!

Anyways, where do I find the herbs for the guy with the sick kid? I destroyed everything next to the towers but found nada...

Wow, I'm up playing this right now and can't stop. Just finishing up Village 1 day 3. It's really refreshing and Dillon is a great new mascot for Nintendo. Don't squander him Nintendo!!!!

Anyways, where do I find the herbs for the guy with the sick kid? I destroyed everything next to the towers but found nada...

Should just be a sparkling part on the ground.

Another control scheme that's dependent on your handedness? What the hell Nintendo.

The game sounds interesting, but I don't know if I want to support the continuation of this lazy practice.

Top Bottom